TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working on a Thief Framework for Unreal Engine

Working on a Thief Framework for Unreal Engine

Good day!
    Long time no see but i got something new!
    I started working on a Thief Framework for the Unreal Engine!
    This means essentially that i am recreating ALOT features of Thief and Splinter Cell.
    There are no real plans yet to make a game or anything, its just a Framework for now.

I got a video and you can play the regular builds i release on itchio.
    Later i will add a roadmap for you to keep track of.

Download: https://filly-the-owl.itch.io/project-thf-alpha

Please check it out and keep and maybe join the discord, link on the itchio page!
    I am excited to receive your feedback!
    Last edited by Owl2; 30th Aug 2023 at 07:28.

This looks really cool. I love the movement: the sway and turning and mantling animations. Are those built into Unreal or did you make them? The door context menus are maybe a bit intrusive for a Thief game, but the concept of being able to interact with doors in multiple ways is interesting. I don't have any techy advice, but I would play a game like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    This looks really cool. I love the movement: the sway and turning and mantling animations. Are those built into Unreal or did you make them? The door context menus are maybe a bit intrusive for a Thief game, but the concept of being able to interact with doors in multiple ways is interesting. I don't have any techy advice, but I would play a game like this!
    Thanks! No all of this has been done from scratch. Its one of my masterpieces. Lets see where this goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Owl2 View Post
    Thanks! No all of this has been done from scratch. Its one of my masterpieces. Lets see where this goes!
    Excellent work and good luck with the project! I hope you see it through!

It's a shame the Thief 2014 game engine was so tightly locked down by Eidos Montreal. The unreal engine is very nice to work with. It will be nice to see a framework using an updated unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    Excellent work and good luck with the project! I hope you see it through!

It's a shame the Thief 2014 game engine was so tightly locked down by Eidos Montreal. The unreal engine is very nice to work with. It will be nice to see a framework using an updated unreal.
    I am honored by that! Thanks! Tomorrow i will release a new update. It gets a bit better every time! <3

Level 10,000 achieved
    It does look nice. Is this a continuation of your previous Thiefy prototype, or brand new?

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    It does look nice. Is this a continuation of your previous Thiefy prototype, or brand new?
    Thanks. This is a brand new project that i started as a side hussle to my book writing. It worked out really well so i put in extra hours on it. And now i am working on it every day!

There is a new update! Check out the devlog and try the new Build!

https://filly-the-owl.itch.io/projec...-001-f-changes

Chakat sex pillow
    RIP motion blur.

This does look really good, that mantling was very nice. Seeing the water arrows in action was great. I'm not a fan of the context menus, and even though I do like Splinter Cell a lot, they always struck me as clumsy. Maybe, just an idea, you could have a key modifier for normal/gentle - maybe when you're running, it defaults all actions to noisy (so you slam things open, for example) and that continues if you have shift pressed when you frob a door? Not sure if that'd work in practice, but it's a YMMV thing as if you're fine with context menus, it's not a problem.

I'm definitely with you regarding the context menus. For me, they get in the way of immersion. Obviously button presses are also an abstract thing, but the context menus are in-your-face abstraction, and as a result, for me they'd reduce the sense that you're there, interacting with the world. My preference would definitely be for a more discreet user interface.

Hello, thanks both of you!
    I am also fighting the HUD elements currently, its a matter of tweaking it really. Also a subjective matter. I am in favor of my context menu and people with bad eye side will need it that big! I need to have a think about this. I am definitly not a fan of key combinations just to interact with a door. The game is already so complex that most people wont understand it. Thief is a complex game and desperatly need to be dumbed down so that more people can understand it. :/

But you’re adding complexity by allowing for different ways to open a door. If that’s a choice you make, the question then becomes: what’s the best way to represent that complexity. The ‘dumbed-down’ version would be to ask how much it actually adds to offer all these options, and to consider taking some out.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    But you’re adding complexity by allowing for different ways to open a door. If that’s a choice you make, the question then becomes: what’s the best way to represent that complexity. The ‘dumbed-down’ version would be to ask how much it actually adds to offer all these options, and to consider taking some out.
    This complexity is easily approachable tho. Compared to the chain of keys you need to press just to make a door open quietly! And about how many of these do we really talk, its just the doors and chests so far. I dont think this is such a big problemo!

Chakat sex pillow
    Fair point on preference - obviously, if you feel one way's better, it's your game.

Preference aside though, talking about complexity: assuming you don't click on a door to open the menu (which is an additional action), a context menu requires two points of interaction - scrolling the menu, and pressing the confirmation button. A keypress modifier combo requires the same - Shift for 'quick action', and then the interact button. It's quicker, easier, but also more opaque because there's no tooltip telling you how to do it. I contend that this can be dealt with by how the game onboards players in its tutorial and teaches them the mechanics, because in any event a Thief-like game is usually a combination of intuitive movement and things that you need to learn and remember. But that's just my opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Fair point on preference - obviously, if you feel one way's better, it's your game.

Preference aside though, talking about complexity: assuming you don't click on a door to open it (which is an additional action), a context menu requires two points of interaction - scrolling the menu, and pressing the confirmation button. A keypress modifier combo requires the same - Shift for 'quick action', and then the interact button. It's quicker, easier, but also more opaque because there's no tooltip telling you how to do it. I contend that this can be dealt with by how the game onboards players in its tutorial and teaches them the mechanics, because in any event a Thief-like game is usually a combination of intuitive movement and things that you need to learn and remember. But that's just my opinion, of course.
    I respect yo alls opinions ofc!
    This interaction already triggered me to add a slider to the game that changes the size of the interaction menu. And i made the black parts more transparent.
    I am always open for cool new ideas So keep it up.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's not like you can't implement both.

(I think the menu's readable for what it is.)

I can't think of an implementation on this in recent times (at least outside of VR) but I've always loved how the old Amnesia games handled doors and cabinets where you needed continuous mouse motion to control very precisely the position and movement speed of the physical entity.

Level 10,000 achieved
    It just so happens I've also been tinkering with one of these first person framework thingys for the past year, and I do use the Amnesia method for door interactions.

Seeing Owl2's demo inspired me to get back to it. I'm gonna try to make some kinda playable build soon.

btw, I do like Sulph's idea of a having the walk-speed-modifier-key also modify how fast you open doors. Feels intuitive.

I remember some games using the mouse wheel for either the one (walk speed) or the other (opening doors).

Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    I can't think of an implementation on this in recent times (at least outside of VR) but I've always loved how the old Amnesia games handled doors and cabinets where you needed continuous mouse motion to control very precisely the position and movement speed of the physical entity.
    I feelm that will bite each other heavily and i did play Amnesia the bunker.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    It just so happens I've also been tinkering with one of these first person framework thingys for the past year, and I do use the Amnesia method for door interactions.

Seeing Owl2's demo inspired me to get back to it. I'm gonna try to make some kinda playable build soon.

btw, I do like Sulph's idea of a having the walk-speed-modifier-key also modify how fast you open doors. Feels intuitive.
    Fire in the hole!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I remember some games using the mouse wheel for either the one (walk speed) or the other (opening doors).
    Splinter cell!

<3 i love you all

The demo already has that thing where the scroll wheel is being used to control movement speed, so it would be possible to have doors always opened silently when the speed is set to something low, and always opened loudly when it's set to high. Not sure if that isn't less intuitive though, as I'm often dashing about in stealth games.

Also, that only solves the door open speed problem, not any of the other things where there are multiple actions (like re-locking a door or whatever.)

Good day here is a small Preview of what is to come in the next build.

Swimming/Diving/Oxygen
    Elevator System/Multistage
    Dummy AI for Sight

I cant post images haha but thats ok, youll get a new video of it anyways!

Uh sorry guys, i have been busy writing my book in the last months... But yesterday i returned to THF finally! New testdemo is out and a video! Check out the links!

https://filly-the-owl.itch.io/project-thf-alpha

Looks very nice, which version of Unreal Engine are you using?
    As I understand, if you want to build games using Unreal Engine your hardware should really be superb, especially videocard.
    Most of the time it's modeling and maybe a bit of C++ when it comes down to scripts / game events, if I'm not mistaken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast