TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: RTX for Thief?

What does RTX mean?

Honestly, that's something I'd love to see in action.

That's super exciting! I think they overdid it with the reflections (although maybe they did that on purpose to show off what its capable of), but ray tracing even without the reflections makes even old games look so much better.

@taffercobbles: I'm not the most technical person, but RTX (afaik same as Ray Tracing) is a way for rendering lights in 3D (videogame) engines. The main idea is that each light source uses rays to bounce the light against surfaces, to get a very realistic lighting effect. Think of it as being in a dark room, and shining a flashlight on a red tile, now the entire room will get a red hue because the light is bouncing off this tile.

Minecraft has a mod for this too, PTGI Seus it's called, there are plenty of Youtube videos that showcase the lighting and you can get a good idea on what it's capable of!

Edit: Looking back at the images I'm wondering if this is actually ray tracing, or just screen-space reflections

Brethren
    Hard to take it seriously when they can't even spell "ray tracing" correctly.

Will it be released before GTA6?

I actually kinda dislike Ray Tracing for older games or old-styled games like Thief.

Having very realistic lighting in a non-realistic 3d environment just irks me quite a bit.

Same with Quake 2's RTX and Minecraft's. Quake 2 in particular looks horrible IMO, low poly and low textured characters having extremely realistic lighting just makes the whole game feel like everyone is a toy in a maquette/scale model map.

It kills my suspension of disbelief

The other problem with it is the same problem that plagues every fancy new graphics improvement in games, in other words, its a abused/overused effect that can look VERY out of place if used wrong. Like making street cobblestone have a clean reflection that rival's a mirror.

Or stuff like having a dirty water poddle on the street perfectly reflect light.

But i understand, its hard to not overuse "the new thing" in the toolbox.

Quote Originally Posted by BR4ZIL View Post
    I actually kinda dislike Ray Tracing for older games or old-styled games like Thief.

Having very realistic lighting in a non-realistic 3d environment just irks me quite a bit.

Same with Quake 2's RTX and Minecraft's. Quake 2 in particular looks horrible IMO, low poly and low textured characters having extremely realistic lighting just makes the whole game feel like everyone is a toy in a maquette/scale model map.

It kills my suspension of disbelief

The other problem with it is the same problem that plagues every fancy new graphics improvement in games, in other words, its a abused/overused effect that can look VERY out of place if used wrong. Like making street cobblestone have a clean reflection that rival's a mirror.

Or stuff like having a dirty water poddle on the street perfectly reflect light.

But i understand, its hard to not overuse "the new thing" in the toolbox.
    I consider better lighting to be an extension of the HD Mod philosophy.
    Those who want original graphics don't have to install it, but those who want real time reflections/real time shadows, and ambient light bounces will probably have the option to enable them in some future version of HDMod (could be years from now, no idea if this project is fake).

Do you use NVidia's RTX Remix tools? Or came up with your own rendering solution?