TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Black Parade Mission 2: Where Old Faces Fade

I've played mission 2 about an hour now and gotta say this is absolutely amazing mission! Where Old Faces Fade is something like a mixture of The Sword, Shadow Play, Alcazar and Watery Grave. The tension is ever-present and there are some unusual horror elements that are really creepy! I love the complex garden like interiors!

I wondered what happened if you woke up the sleeping fellow with the skull mask and I loved that he throws webs at you. Marvelous stuff!

Really fun mission! The map just goes and goes and goes. Whenever you think you might be getting a full 'mental map' of the place you'll get lost someplace new.

Might have found a bug in the deep garden/underground river area or maybe I'm just missing something. Behind a sliding door with three doors right after there's a treasure chest, and when looting it I get a chest stuck in my hands with no way to drop it or equip anything else necessitating a reload. https://i.imgur.com/vyY8g6Q.png

You should be able to toss/drop that chest and then use it again...and again...and again...until...

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    You should be able to toss/drop that chest and then use it again...and again...and again...until...

Okay, my mistake, sorta - it's been a while since I played Thief and I only ever use right click to throw items/bodies/whatever, I forgot there was an actual binding just for 'drop' and that worked. Still, I feel it's a very easy mistake to make and if possible making the chest 'throwable' might save some future people from the same headache.

This mission was really a blast playing through! The creepy vibe and atmosphere further in the mission really kept me on my toes the whole time.
    I have to confess: I haven't been playing a lot of the thief games lately, let alone FM's - but it's amazing what the developers pulled off with the engine

I also thought I would have a decent loot score at the end of the mission, but I only had 1877 out of 2463

I just finished this masterpiece! Like agrash, I thought I would have missed maybe one or two hundred, but I missed over 500 somehow! Oh well, it's not my nature to scour too much, even though I did take my time (about 3.5 hours).

All the pagan stuff was quite creepy and made me start to feel scared to live in that world where such deep magic exists! The atmosphere was thick and heavy and vibrant and eerie, a fantastic mix.

A minor complaint - the layout of the non-garden areas of the mansion are not logical enough. For example, the kitchen is very far from the dining room, and navigating the upper floors (near where you can get the clock) is a long roundabout path that didn't seem plausible.

Those tidbits of design aside, I loved this whole experience, very very good!

(And thank God for the improved mantling.)

I've also learned now that you cannot knock out searching guards (at least on Expert, which is the only way I play), and that's welcome, forces me to plan better and use my tools more (such as moss arrows).
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

First playthrough finished in 2.5 hours with 3383/3463 loot. Eventually found the two missing pieces (thanks, Fortuni).
    It's interesting, as mission 1 I increased the score from 8 to 8.5 after ghosting; this one went down from 8.5 to 8 after ghosting.

Pros:
    - Very creative level design, with a clear nudge to The Sword, my favorite mission from T1.
    - Lots of possible entries into the manor (at least 7-8).
    - Highly non-linear once inside, almost to the point of being over the top.
    - Fantastic atmosphere! Lots of cool new sounds and ominous environments.

Cons:
    - Besides navigating the upper floors, the mission is quite easy, especially on subsequent playthroughs. I miss some strategically placed stationary guards, especially close to the objectives.
    - The item in the vault can easily be taken straight through the gate. I did this on first attempt without having found either key.

Dang, we were sure we had fixed being able to obtain the item in the vault through the grate... guess we need to brute force it for 1.1.

That vase did not want to be found

Amazing mission, love the evil pagan vibe, especially combining the pagan environment sounds from both T1 and T2.
    This mission is insane. It just keeps going and going, with a layout that defies all order.
    Found the vase, but I'm trying to take a route that will cover most of the map. Found the clock too but had to move on without taking it, can vaguely remember where I saw it.
    I'm surprised this thread is only three pages long!

Got the vase and the clock, and the key found deep underground. Can somebody please help me to the other key?

From the gate where you need to use the keys go in the opposite direction and follow the path downwards. There is a guy lying on the floor. The key is next to him.

Found it by myself three minutes after my question. Thanks all the same!

Hi,

I'm playing on hard and have found the emerald vase. With a very tiny bit of help from here, I got the golden clock too. But I want to find the vault as well and have no idea where it is, been reading here that I need two keys for that. I have none and also no clue where to start looking.

I did discover a passage which lead me to a room with some sort of pillars of smoke rising behind bars / metal doors that don't open. Did move on through the secret passage on the wall, through an area with a pool, inside which was a rope arrow leading me upwards through a well, but ultimately I didn't find anything significant there and was lead back to the manor.

Explaining a route in this mission is going to be the biggest fun of my life.

When you stand in front of the building and look up there you can see windows with a gargoyle in front of it. You need to get in that room. It's a large rectangular room with a second floor. In that room you need to climb at the second floor via the statuettes. There a 3 ways in front of you, take the right one and then the second way on the right sight. Just follow that way and you will come to the vault.

One key is where the gates with the smoke was.
    The other key is already mentioned in this thread.

Good luck.

These keys are not present on Hard. The vault is already open.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBogan View Post
    These keys are not present on Hard. The vault is already open.
    Yeah. On hard difficulty, the vault is already open. It can very easily be completely missed, like I did, because you can simply walk into the room. There are no keylocks and there is most certainly nothing to be stolen from there.

Near the vault with the 2 locks, there is a frobable book but I am not sure what it does. Any ideas?

It opens the door on the other side.

I loved the banter between the witty barmaid and the guard.

Guard: "You missed a spot."
    Maid: "And you missed a chance to shut up."

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    (...)I managed a perfect Supreme without any big issues, (...) I didnt have any problem avoiding an alert from the basement singer though. I remember he was twitchy, but didn't say anything if I went slow.
    So, crawling slowly should do the trick? Then a slap it is, and a well deserved one for not trying harder!
    I'm looking forward to your video - I'm curious to see the path you choose. It will definitely be longer, as you always show all non-loot items, so your "optimum" might not be mine.

Amazing mission, even though I got lost a couple of times. I'm still a bit dumbfounded about the item in the vault. Did I miss some sort of explanation or was it purely for shock value?

Quote Originally Posted by ShardofTruth View Post
    Amazing mission, even though I got lost a couple of times. I'm still a bit dumbfounded about the item in the vault. Did I miss some sort of explanation or was it purely for shock value?
    Pretty sure Halleford is The Trickster under a different alias. You know the scene in TDP where he pitches his business proposal to Garrett? You can find the same room in this level. In that cutscene, you could see a decapitated head placed on top of the fireplace. I think that's the item you steal from the vault.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast