TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Black Parade Mission 10: The Black Parade

The Black Parade Mission 10: The Black Parade

This thread is about The Black Parade, the tenth mission in The Black Parade. Please post all your questions and comments about this mission in this thread and not in the campaign release thread. Anything that is a general question or remark about the campaign, or covers more than one mission can be posted in the release thread.

Click HERE to go to the release thread.

Excellent campaign. I am at the top of the tower where Arzan is conducting his ritual and there is a basin that highlights. However I have nothing to interact with it. Did I miss something to pick up?

Update: I was completely oblivious to a room I forgot to look in and found it.
    Last edited by TheDarkOne93; 4th Dec 2023 at 12:57.

series complete on expert mission loot requirement on an early level, truly an amazing series, i cried when watching the credits, i also miss lady rowena, bbb, naks, etc, they all would have loved it so much

i can help darkone, before you use key you have to get the chemicals, then at top use key on thing behind you then slip in and add the chemicals to podium and hide

So Hume still dies to the brand/curse even after all the crap he went through to try and get rid of it? While Azaran stands, weakend and plans ruined but still. I absolutely loved the entire campaign, I'll replay it soon and try to properly ghost it, but I just can't help but feel a little disappointed with the ending.
    Last edited by Gabe29; 8th Dec 2023 at 15:12.

To be fair, Azaran surviving was guaranteed by the fact you find his body in Thief 2. Hume dying was necessary because otherwise he would be a better pick for Viktoria than Garrett I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by TriangleTooth View Post
    To be fair, Azaran surviving was guaranteed by the fact you find his body in Thief 2. Hume dying was necessary because otherwise he would be a better pick for Viktoria than Garrett I suppose.
    There goes to show how I haven't played the original games in quite a while, I completely forgot that Azaran was canon material lol. My bad on that one. Still feel pretty bad about Hume dying, got attached to him throughout his journey, especially after mission 8. So seeing him dying so pathetically in some dirty alleyway was a kick in the balls

That's a completely legitimate way to feel about the ending, it's tricky to have a 'bad' ending in a game where you did all the objectives and played everything right but the cards were still stacked against you. But yes, having Azaran show up as the villain halfway through the campaign is meant to foreshadow to players familiar with Thief 2 that, whatever happens, things probably aren't going to end too well for Hume.

Thank you so much for playing!

I agree! with Gabe29 So I guess a sequel is out of the question

FANtastic series Thanks to all involved!

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBogan View Post
    Thank you so much for playing!
    Especially thank you and everyone else involved for making this amazing campaign. Seriously, I can't praise it enough! Had a blast playing through it over the week, mission 8 probably being one of my favorites despite being more linear.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe29 View Post
    So Hume still dies to the brand/curse even after all the crap he went through to try and get rid of it? While Azaran stands, weakend and plans ruined but still. I absolutely loved the entire campaign, I'll replay it soon and try to properly ghost it, but I just can't help but feel a little disappointed with the ending.
    I get you, yet somehow I expected as much since the beginning, it seemed to me that Hume was just this unlucky taffer never cautious enough about his connections, always trusting the wrong people and doing his work in a way that he would never make old bones (I mean every work he undertook for someone else than him feels like he is just a sucker expected to die). I surely hoped for a less grim ending, but it would have suprised me if he did, and it would have raised too much questions about his future and why we never saw or heard of him later on.
    About Azaran I remember that he succeded in his endevour with the book of ash in T2 but without any real consequences to the world..he simply vanished into the void, and now with the events in The Black Parade, funny enough it feels like what he really did in T2 is close to killing himself if nothing else xD

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkOne93 View Post
    Update: I was completely oblivious to a room I forgot to look in and found it.
    It happens to the best of us.

Actually, I'm always surprised at how well these complex architectures work, in terms of not missing stuff. Ok, in the beginning I missed to wangle the key off the high priest, but, apart from that, even though feeling pretty lost, I managed to find the important stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TriangleTooth View Post
    Why would Hume be a better pick than Garrett, since Garrett is actually Keeper trained while Hume is just very good at stealth?

Viktoria does not seem to be aware of the Keepers, but Hume is someone she has an existing relationship with. She had the chance to see his skill when he took on the various jobs for DeWall when she was under Raputo. Given all he went through, if she could treat his curse he'd be even better as she could use that as additional leverage to convince him to work for her.

To her Garrett is a new, unknown thief she has to expend energy contacting, testing, and then convincing. Hume would be just as good if not better in her eyes. The end cutscene even implies this - it's only because Hume is dying that she goes looking elsewhere and finds Garrett.

Oh boy, just finished playing and I've been staring at the quick reply bar as what to write for minutes now. Since there are many elements in this campaign that draws from the original story of Thief I knew Hume had to disappear to make room for Garrett in Viktoria's employment, but I sincerely hoped that he would survive this ordeal and leave the city and all its muck behind to start a new life elsewhere. I really feel like I lost someone I knew, even though I only knew Hume for 10 missions. Clive Barker and Stephen King (my favourite writers) could learn from you guys in respect to telling a horror story.
    About the mission: Enemy design is as superb as in the previous ones. My favorite one was the purple snake like thing and the sound it made while it was moving. Architecture is spot on, I can't even fathom how something like this tower can appear in someone's mind, let alone how one can design it in DromEd. The authors are real pros. I also really liked the ending credits and the music, it's gloom an musical instrumentation reminded me of the theme song of Rose Cottage.

I could continue writing pages, but I better cut it short.
    Thank you for everyone who contrbuted to this mission and this campaign in any way! You are my heroes

Hi all, first time poster - I registered for TTLG specifically because of Black Parade, which has consumed my life over the past week. If I understand posting regulations correctly, this is the best place to have a spoiler-heavy discussion of implied or encoded material from the whole campaign, including the last mission. I believe none of this is duplicative; if it should go elsewhere, please let me know.

I went ahead and manually translated the tablets; they shed a little bit more light on some of the worldbuilding. I'll start with the text of the different parts, then some interpretations.

Text:
    Light Three Divide
    Flesh Tetra Combine

Red (AHMAR)
    Blue (AZRAQ)
    Yellow (ASFAR)

Interpretation:
    These names are just Arabic for each of the colors involved, fitting for a Hand document.

The combination of the shapes may be intended to on some level reflect the internal geometry of the ceremonial circle, though that's not very clear. It's also not clear from the materials onhand how the artifacts were supposed to work to counter the ritual/brand, nor why they didn't.

Text:
    Flegmat (phlegm) (Water symbol) elder doe
    Sanguin (blood) (Air symbol) child to woman
    Coleric (yellow bile) (Fire symbol) larval honey
    Melanc (black bile) (Earth symbol) lizard death

Interpretation:
    "Cryptic format" indeed! The basic relationship being conveyed here is that there is some sort of equivalency between the four elements that the Hand generally focus on, and the four Galenic/Hippocratic humors. This might reflect necromantic blashphemy, or it could reflect some sort of translation of these forces into the context of the statue and the "realm" inside it. This is similar to, but distinguishable from, the book of ash illustration in Thief 2. I assume someone's already translated that document...

Notably, there are sort of "shrines" inside the tower inside the statue that appear to correspond to at least some of the four humors. The captions on these shrines are a lot harder to cleanly interpret because they seem to be an artsy mix of language elements. The same with the scrolls left by Azaran's assistant, who seems to be driven mad by the statue's interior.

Other terms of note:
    "Liraja" comes up as a seemingly obsessive chant associated with the material inside the statute; it appears on both the "shrines" and at the end of the scrolls by Azaran's assistant. This might be a name for the statue, though it's very unclear to me.

"Mrityudeva" is used as a term for the world inside the statue (and, arguably, is another candidate name for the statue itself). It's derived from Mrityu Devi, a term for death and death deities in Sanskrit and several eastern religious traditions. This straightforwardly communicates that this is the world of death.

Notably, the translated fragment from the book of ash shown at the very introduction of the game is as follows:

'Twas done then, as it had been promised aforetime;
    that the Power was taken by the elders and thrust under where the black stars hang;
    then placed within the highest tower
    which is said to rise amidst the ruin that is the tomb of empires.

The "power" referred to in this straightforwardly refers to the "heart" of the statue. Most of the rest of that is unclear; heck, I wasn't even able to tell if we'd destroyed the statue at the end of the mission!

I welcome thoughts and corrections on all this; again, just lemme know if it should go somewhere else.
    Last edited by Discendo Vox; 15th Dec 2023 at 01:45. Reason: adding missing spoiler tag.

Absolutely fabulous campaign, it makes me insanely happy to know that my favourite series still gets top tier content made for it 25 years later. I've been following Black Parade since its announcement, and it was absolutely worth the wait.
    That ending cutscene was absolutely beautiful, visually. The thing I think I'm most impressed with with TBP is how fucking well you guys nailed the cutscenes. They've been done before in other FMs, but the level of quality and detail in this campaign is staggering.
    Great job everyone, now I'm just sad I don't have a campaign of this length or quality to look forward to anymore, now that its been released and I've finally played it, a part of me feels like its missing.

Man, what an great cap to an excellent campaign. I still have a lot I could explore (and will, in replays), but I love the strange creatures and sheer sense of menace in that final area.

And the actual "boss" mechanic felt like a good alternative take on TDP's sabotaging of the Trickster's ritual.

Hello to all,
    I`m stuck, can somebody give me a hint about where too look for the chemicals.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T-Linkz View Post
    Hello to all,
    I`m stuck, can somebody give me a hint about where too look for the chemicals.

Thanks
    You know the note in which you read about them? They're pretty much in the same room on a nearby table from what I remember. They have a unique model so they're hard to spot. Next to them is a scale I think on the same table.

So I'm on top where Azaran is. I put the necrotic ingredients into the altar, but every single time the game makes me commit suicide. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    So I'm on top where Azaran is. I put the necrotic ingredients into the altar, but every single time the game makes me commit suicide. What am I missing?
    You must avoid being seen by Azaran.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    You must avoid being seen by Azaran.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Embraced One View Post
    You know the note in which you read about them? They're pretty much in the same room on a nearby table from what I remember. They have a unique model so they're hard to spot. Next to them is a scale I think on the same table.
    Haaaa, i`m running around for 3 hours(playtime) i don`t even know where i picked up the scroll.
    I hope a direct spoiler can help me forward.

Thanks

I can't believe Hume died (or is he?), but it fits. He's an all-around bad guy who makes the same mistakes until he eventually runs into the brick wall that is Azaran. Hoping for more Hume, nevertheless!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Linkz View Post
    Haaaa, i`m running around for 3 hours(playtime) i don`t even know where i picked up the scroll.
    I hope a direct spoiler can help me forward.
    if you are talking about the Necrotic Ingredients, mentioned in the book describing a "delicate alchemical balance", they are on an alter in the room directly above the "room of eyes", the red-walled room with blinking eyes on the walls and strange beams running around below the ceiling. in one part of the room there is a broken stairway down from the ceiling that will let you reach the room above and continue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast