Thief 2 under Linux

Hello

Thief 2
    CD Version
    latest TFix applied
    no Movies, only sound

any advice ?

thanks

I had that problem with Shock 2. Using a different version of Wine/Proton solved it.
    I use Bottles, which has a lot of different Wine builds to choose from. The Soda 7.0 build works for me, while the ProtonGE 8.0 based ones have that same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Baal View Post
    I had that problem with Shock 2. Using a different version of Wine/Proton solved it.
    I use Bottles, which has a lot of different Wine builds to choose from. The Soda 7.0 build works for me...
    Will Soda 7.0 also work for Thief 3: Deadly Shadows?

I don`t know, but I would say that chances are good that it does.

It would be good to know what the actual cause of that issue is. I remember ZylonBane mentioning somewhere, that you have to make sure ffmpeg is used for playback instead of the indeo codec. I'm not sure how to do that, maybe with the dll override of wine.

No clue what the issue is or if it's properly solved.
    All I can say is I that I have the gog version installed with Heroic Game Launcher and I use GE-Proton (latest version) : everything works perfectly, same for T1 and Deadly Shadows (all of them with fix and mods installed)..works with wine and normal proton as well. I have no idea how it goes with the CD version, but if it works with GOG I'm sure there must be a way.

One stupid idea crossing my mind though : I know there is the option "no_unload_ffmpeg" in cam_ext.cfg, it should have no ";" at the begining of the line, I highly doubt it's the issue in your case (never had to modify this line), but who knows.. (I'd also make sure everything regarding movies is correct in this file). Other than that, no clue sadly.
    Last edited by WEI; 8th Dec 2023 at 21:18.

Yeah, it's not the issue - it's the intel codec that was used for those movies. Likely if you try the black parade you'll see it's movies just fine.

If you launch Thief 2 from the command line you'll get some verbose output from Wine that can help you solve certain issues. With video in a lot of games it can be an issue with gstreamer (Wine's codec translation for media isn't perfect). If that's the issue, you can install wmp11 using winetricks and that should do the trick.

Both retails version of Thief works for me with cutscenes so there is a way to get it to run properly. You might want to use wine-staging if you aren't already, as it has an option to enable EAX emulation.

In my experience, Thief's videos stopped rendering from Wine 8.2 onwards... its changelog stating that it has "Indeo IV50 codec support" https://www.winehq.org/announce/8.2

??? What made them work before? No taffing idea. Maybe it used gstreamer before and it got deprecated in favor of the actual .dll. I ended up adding an override (ir50_32 as native,builtin) to make Wine use the .dll inside the installation folder.

Is playing The Black Parade on a Linux rig a doomed endeavor?

Nah, it works fine and has for years - my first post about it here was from like 15 years ago.

For this specific issue, if you're playing through Steam, just go to properties in the game and add:

WINEDLLOVERRIDES="ir50_32=n,b" %command%

In the launch options field.

The movies have been broken for a lot of people in Windows over the years, too, remember, to the point that people uploaded reencodings of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    No, it works perfectly well. The codec problem doesn't even apply to The Black Parade as its movies use a different video format.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrle View Post
    Nah, it works fine and has for years - my first post about it here was from like 15 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baal View Post
    No, it works perfectly well. The codec problem doesn't even apply to The Black Parade as its movies use a different video format.
    Good to hear!

For the record, I just finished my initial playthrough of The Black Parade last night, and I did the whole thing on arch linux. No issues and alt-tabbing arguably works more consistently than in Windows.

If you're using Steam, the only thing that is any harder (or even different) than Windows is running TFix; the easiest way to do it is to just add the installer as a non-steam game and tell steam to run it with Proton via the compatibility tab. You can remove it from Steam after it's been run.

But you don't have to use Steam; if you have any vaguely modern version of wine set up on your system you can just run both Thief and TFix through that.

I moved exclusively to linux at the end of May and gaming basically just works now - the only exception is some online multiplayer titles that use rootkit level anticheat, and I don't play any of those.

Valve's work on Proton for the Steamdeck has had major benefits for linux users, whether you use their platform or not.

Valve's work on Proton for the Steamdeck has had major benefits for linux users, whether you use their platform or not.
    It has!!! Most of what I buy works without fuss. Most of the remainder works after heading backwards a release or two of Proton.

Risen 2 doesn't work, though. I'm a little mad about that.

Hm. ProtonDB suggests some have gotten it working:
    https://www.protondb.com/app/40390

Oh, there are some new ProtonDB suggestions since last I tried. Thanks.

I'm currently playing it on Linux, so no. And Thief/Thief II also works for me.

Deleting ir50_32.dll and ir41_32.dll from my Thief 2 root folder worked for me.

Thanks for the hint. I haven't thought of that (I didn't even know these files were still there). That did it for me too. Shock 2 and both Thiefs now work with the newer ProtonGE builds. Cool.

Thanks
    First apply TFix / T2Fix
    then remove ir50_32.dll and ir41_32.dll
    works

For the record, I just finished my initial playthrough of The Black Parade last night, and I did the whole thing on arch linux. No issues and alt-tabbing arguably works more consistently than in Windows.

If you're using Steam, the only thing that is any harder (or even different) than Windows is running TFix; the easiest way to do it is to just add the installer as a non-steam game and tell steam to run it with Proton via the compatibility tab. You can remove it from Steam after it's been run.

But you don't have to use Steam; if you have any vaguely modern version of wine set up on your system you can just run both Thief and TFix through that.

I moved exclusively to linux at the end of May and gaming basically just works now - the only exception is some online multiplayer titles that use rootkit level anticheat, and I don't play any of those.

Same here with GOG version.
    Heroic Launcher is great for that because it has the option "run EXE on prefix" allowing you to install Tfix, Openal for EAX and other stuff with ease. If only steam could do the same..

Yeah, it's not the issue - it's the intel codec that was used for those movies. Likely if you try the black parade you'll see it's movies just fine.
    Made me realise I always install higher quality versions of these movies, even when I was on windows, even for Shock2. I would never have guessed xD

or you can use TFix Lite, which is just a .zip with files to copy in. it doesnt come with any of the optional mods, but thats already ideal for the black parade. the GOG release of thief gold already comes with TFix Lite 1.26 preinstalled.

Quote Originally Posted by WEI View Post
    Same here with GOG version.
    Heroic Launcher is great for that because it has the option "run EXE on prefix" allowing you to install Tfix, Openal for EAX and other stuff with ease. If only steam could do the same..
    Yeah, it would be nice for them to add that option, maybe in the compatibility tab. You can do it via launch arguments but that's a power user level thing. They could just have a drop down to select which game's prefix to use.

I have a thought about Thief on Linux

Whoever it was released the latest version of the Dark engine has access to a copy of the source code, trust me the number of fixes & features was not someone poking around with a hex editor**

I can't help wondering how difficult it would be to port that to Linux & have a native code version instead of using WINE

**If it was someone poking around with a hex editor then they are a coding GOD never mind wizard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast