TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Macboy wants to play theef, durrr (get ready for some parentheses, I've gotten worse)

Macboy wants to play theef, durrr (get ready for some parentheses, I've gotten worse)

I've been keeping a secret for you for about a year now (nevermind that I haven't really posted/made threads for about a decade or more, as my interest in Thief got sidetracked/muted due to life, depression, alcohol and all the other glory such a life brings, and chatting in the commchat soured my experience with all the insufferable leftie fanatics [that didn't even have a sense of humor, common leftie trait though] and made me want to piss in its mouth instead [and no I'm not right wing, I even did a political test where I scored centrist, but the overton window will make mild mannered, open-minded centrists look like right wingers], and as Garrett once said to Sir Constantine - fanatics make unreliable friends). So with that parenthesis respectfully out of the way, I will now confess that I turned to the macfag side. I felt kind of loaded at that one single month in my life, maybe even enough to afford the basic entry Macbook (Air, M1) and I heard so many good things about M1 and I was so fucking tired of my Desktop computer glitching all the time and just general slightly exaggerated hatred towards Windows and Micropenisoft, that I took the plunge and got it in the end. It's worked like a dream and the reliability compared to a Windows device is well - not comparable, it's on a different level entirely. But after nearly a year, I did get some scratching urges in some moments to game something and maybe that something even being Thief (despite playing maybe two or three FMs in the last decade, I've still followed some of my Thief utubers, Klatremus's playthroughs were a certified happy space for me for multiple years), especially now with The Blyat Parade being out and all the hype around it, and of course a Mac, especially a little hipster macbook air is really not made for games, and while it does well enough with some 2d platformers that it *can* run (and frankly that's probably the optimal thing to game on a laptop anyway), but since I do move around often (visiting wife and whatever) and more importantly I enjoy computering from my bad moreso than from the chair, I mainly do use my mactop, despite the smaller screen, actual reliability and little game selection (tbh I low-key see it as a blessing in disguise, as I find peace in a limited choice of games, it brings me back to simpler times, + I still have the broader choice, just on a PC that uses... *vomits a little in the mouth* Windows).

Now for the shortest paragraph - the actual point of me making this thread. To remind, I'm using Macbook Air M1, and maybe it doesn't even run Thief without heating it to 90 degrees or something (that would be depressing). I tried using Parallels (some OS emulator) but I tried it right after updating to Sonoma (latest big OS version) and it didn't work, after already installing the OS it offered - windows 11 *vomits in mouth* (why not windows 10?) it just crashed. I considered reverting the OS to the factory settings and from a brief search online, I understood that it's not supposed to be a time machine and everything else (all my docs etc) should stay intact, but I'm just not totally sure, or that that's what the issue even was, but if someone can reassure me that it's totally safe and painlessly reversible back also, I might be more encouraged to try it. Other than Parallels, maybe there's other ways to game? What about the wine meme, I know linux guys use it, but I never was motivated to try as I've always had a Windows installation in my life (maybe that's why I bitch about it so much, because I've been married to it as long as I've been with a computer). Really I'd like a solution that's not too much of a hassle/brain scratcher for my diminishing grey matter. Oh and I want to run it with fafferpatcher (or whichever is the current thing with newdark) and FMs, obviously.

Oh, also a very important disclaimer (shouldn't those be put in the beginning instead of the end? Well whatever) because I know this is a sensitive subject for many - I am not a mac evangelist. I just recognize which device is better at what, and my current use (and I'll admit it's mostly a lazy/laziness induced use) is more aligned for using a macbook, as I only do 10000 Brave tabs with youtube on it, chatting, and occasion programming (and honestly, programming using Windows/WSL is largely a massive displeasure from any conveniences standpoint). Oh an an occasional game now. But I do recognize annoyances with Macs also - they're a walled off garden in every way and exhibit some pretty annoying in your face anti-consumer practices (laptop unrepairable by normal shop, can't customize your laptop after purchase, and when buying one during purchase, you'll have to spend 200+ dollars just to get an extra 8GB stick of RAM, or extra 250 GB of SSD space, and even some basic fucking features windows has had for decades, you have to buy a plugin for a macOS to have, oh and since I'm not an ameritard - a cretinous 20-25% mark up "tax", so that a 1000 peso device costs over 1200 - the insult to injury how rich americans get their fancy devices cheaper than substantially poorer eurobros (no I'm not swiss knife, blonde northener, baguette, britbonger or ubermensch), and I'm not following the drama too much, but it seems that windows may be trying to catch up with mac in some of those areas, to the best of its ability

Thanks for listening to my insufferable and possibly slightly unhinged/candid (same thing, isn't it) ted talk, peace out, and any sincere advice will be appreciated (except seeking therapy - no, it doesn't have the same effect for men as is does for women, and I don't have spare change to dish out at this point in life (or my savings, rather) for someone to act like my friend at 50+ pesos an hour, plus I enjoy inflation eating my savings more than anything anyway, ahh yeah govern me harder, WG)

You could have just posted "what's the best way to play Thief on a Mac in 2023?" Scout's honor.

I haven't used a Mac in almost a decade, but back when I did, I just bit the bullet and bought a Windows installer CD and installed it using Apple's built-in Boot Camp. Not ideal, but infinitely preferable to unreliable Wine wrappers and whatever else I tried. As far as I can tell from some quick googling, Boot Camp still exists (but who knows for how long, Apple's habit of obsoleting their own software and killing forwards compatibility being what I remember it being).

Quote Originally Posted by lpowell View Post
    [I haven't used a Mac in almost a decade, but back when I did, I just bit the bullet and bought a Windows installer CD and installed it using Apple's built-in Boot Camp. Not ideal, but infinitely preferable to unreliable Wine wrappers and whatever else I tried. As far as I can tell from some quick googling, Boot Camp still exists (but who knows for how long, Apple's habit of obsoleting their own software and killing forwards compatibility being what I remember it being).
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Boot Camp is currently not available on Apple silicon Macs.[6] Via virtualization, it is possible to run ARM-based Windows 10 and 11 (only Windows Insider builds, as they are the only publicly available ARM builds of Windows) through the QEMU emulator[7] and Parallels Desktop virtualization software, which also allows Linux.
    Sounds like as an m1 (silicon) user I'll still need need the virtualization crap, although this boot camp stuff did seem interesting. Maybe I'll look in further and see if there's any alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by lpowell View Post
    You could have just posted "what's the best way to play Thief on a Mac in 2023?" Scout's honor.
    Yeah I know, I just had a rant in me and was in a cheeky enough mood to post it. Normally I'm well aware of the community's moderate disdain/complete indifference of me and know not to bother, but sometimes I still feel like it.

I run Thief on an older Windows 7 Dell laptop but that's literally all I use it for. I'm now using a Macbook Pro M1 1TB SSD because I'm not playing video games that much these days. That being said I tried a trial sample of Parallels and it's pretty fantastic because you can run Windows and Mac individually or at the same time without any obvious issues. At some point I'll buy Parallels and Windows 10 or 11 and move all my Thief T1/TG/T2 installs over to the Mac and get rid of the old Windows laptop. I don't know how well other games play on a Mac but I've seen a Macbook like mine run the new MS Flight Sim without it catching fire. If I were still into hardcore gaming still, and had the cash, I'd run two machines.

I play thief on an m1 max macbook pro using parallels. I've been doing this for years and had no issues until today when one of the textures in TBP starting bugging (no idea if this is mac-related).

Parallels isn't free, but it's not super expensive and has worked just fine for me. Bootcamp is not a viable option on Apple Silicon macs, and I don't believe it ever will be.