TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Time for a new monitor (main game is Thief)

Time for a new monitor (main game is Thief)

Recently my monitor broke. I can still see things but it looks bad. I ruled out other things (graphics card, cable etc), so I know it's time for a new monitor.

I've found a few threads and websites mentioning various things but they're a few years old and things can change significantly over that time.

Here's a list of things that I'm interested in, though I'm open to corrections if there's a better way to interperet all the terminology:
    1) Good black levels for dark games. It seems like QD LED provides those things. I've read that MicroLED is even better and eliminates the chance of burn-in, but it's still too new so it's very expensive.
    2) High contrast ratio also seems like a good thing to look for, though I'm not sure what sort of values are best and if you get diminishing returns above some point, and somethng like QD LED may automatically provide a good contrast ratio.
    3) I'm interested in Ultrawide but that may be just for the novelty. I'm concerned that the screen size and curve might induce motion sickness due to distortion. I had a bit of that with my old monitor (4:3 ratio). The default 90 degree FOV caused a slight fisheye effect. Reducing it to 80 helped immensely, but I've no idea if a curved screen will be a help or a hinderance.
    4) Also my old monitor is 1600x1200. Some of the ultrawide monitors have only had vertical resolutions of 1080. I'd like to match or exceed the 1200 height. I'm seeing plenty with 1440 which seems like one of the standard heights.
    5) Also happy to consider more conventional widescreen, eg 3440x1440.
    6) I've read about G-synch (nVidia) and Free-synch (open source, used by AMD). My card supports neither (Radeon R9 280, a seemingly special model which just manages to miss out). For an old game like Thief would that even be an issue? I think I can ingore this issue for now and only bother with a new card if there's some refresh rate horror. I'm fairly sure I could just cap the games framerate to some refresh rate the monitor supports.
    7) Not too fussed about super high refresh rates or even response times, though I might get back into sim-racing at some point so future-proofing could be a good approach to take.
    8) Overall budget could be in the £700-800 range, but I can go higher if there's something great out there.

Happy for recommendations if you know of monitors that have served you well under similar circumstances, or guidance on specifactions to look for.

Thanks!

ZylonBane
    I switched from CRT to a pair of Dell U2412Ms (IPS panels, 1920x1200) almost a decade ago, and they've worked great as gaming monitors, with excellent black levels, and still going strong. The successor model, the Dell U2415, has also been discontinued, but you can still find them for sale online for relatively cheap. For current models, it appears Dell doesn't make any 16:10 monitors anymore. How depressing.

I donít have a specific recommendation, but I will say that OLEDs and Thief are a good match ó perfect black levels and great colour rendition. And while I never cared about high refresh rates in the past, on an OLED they actually make a big difference in terms of motion clarity. The new Steam Deck goes up to 90, and for Thief it looks noticeably smoother and clearer than 60. It makes it feel more like a CRT. Iíve also got an LG OLED TV that Iíve used as a monitor on occasion and it looks similarly great. I wouldnít worry about burn in too much; it doesnít seem to be much of a thing any more except in extreme cases.

Thanks for your replies.
    You know how we're advised if something seems too good to be true then it probably is?
    How on earth is this only £72?
    https://susam.co.uk/product/lg-ultra...lcH-yZfpg6zMQc
    edit: people on Truspilot confirming my suspicions: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/susam.co.uk
    Last edited by R Soul; 30th Dec 2023 at 07:40.

I splurged and got an ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ. It's a 144Hz 27" monitor, and I can't imagine much else looking better or costing more. I know, it's very pricey. But I worked a ton of overtime, earned a big bonus during the height of the Covid scare, and I treated myself.

https://rog.asus.com/articles/hands-...aming-monitor/

I think they're half the price now as when I bought one, somewhere around the $600 mark.. up, Amazon has them for that price. I bought mine from BestBuy, but it was right at $1200 at the time.

HDR on it looks amazing; it's one of those features that's hard to describe, but when you see it, you just go..

I got the Cooler Master Tempest GP27Q some months ago. Very cheap for what it offers.

It has HDR and the black levels are i would say super close to my OLED TV, I'd say you can't get better blacks without paying at least $400 more. I'd rate the HDR perhaps 7/10 on OLED it can look better.

A 100% black screen is so dark that you can't tell if the monitor is on or off, and of course that's how black levels should look. The monitor is also insanely bright. Whites with brightness on 90-100% can be very harsh on the eyes, thankfully many forums has a black mode.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by vurt View Post
    The monitor is also insanely bright. Whites with brightness on 90-100% can be very harsh on the eyes, thankfully many forums has a black mode.
    It's a shame the monitor has no way to turn down the brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    It's a shame the monitor has no way to turn down the brightness.
    If you can select 90-100% you can also select 0-100, a bit too complex for ZB i guess...

I'm just saying it's super bright, which i personally like (apart from sometimes when i browse e.g forum with too white of a theme, like this one).

forum with too white of a theme, like this one).
    This forum does have a dark theme, see the Settings page.

That Cooler Master monitor has a good price, and it's available in a real shop. I was initially concerned about that screen size, 27" compared to a 34" Alienware monitor I'd seen (much more expensive), but the TV I'm currently using as a stand-in already has a surface area that I'm happy with, and is only 25". It actually has a good black level but at 1366 x 768 it doesn't have many pixels and the shiny screen is too reflective.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post

That Cooler Master monitor has a good price, and it's available in a real shop. I was initially concerned about that screen size, 27" compared to a 34" Alienware monitor I'd seen (much more expensive), but the TV I'm currently using as a stand-in already has a surface area that I'm happy with, and is only 25". It actually has a good black level but at 1366 x 768 it doesn't have many pixels and the shiny screen is too reflective.
    Thanks, i thought i had checked everything in Settings but apparently not.

This Coolermaster is available in 34" too btw.

Administrator
    Thanks, i thought i had checked everything in Settings but apparently not.
    Also in case you missed it you can change the theme in the drop-down box on the bottom left of any forum page.

If you haven't purchased a monitor yet, I would recommend the Samsung LU32R590CWPXXU 32" Curved 4K Monitor - Ultra HD 3840 x 2160...an excellent monitor at a modestly priced £279. Keep in mind that even though you may be happy with your current surface area and other technical features, upgrading to something like this (or greater) will certainly increase your immersive experience.

Thanks for all of your replies. Having considered the models and features mentioned here and comparing them to my own requirements I've bought one of these:
    LG 27GR95QE-B
    https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/gaming/27gr95qe-b/

It is expensive but it has most of the features I wanted. 240Hz is probably over the top for what I need, but I definitely wanted to go beyond the 60Hz rate that quite a lot of choices had. It also has like low glare & reflection which is appealing to me. Plus it has both Freesynch and Gsynch, so if I decide to get a new graphics card (hopefully not required for a while) I can choose either of the only two companies in the world who've bagsied the right to make graphics cards.

In order to further justify my decision and stave off buyer's remorse I'd be quite prepared to slag off other choices, so please let me know if you'd like me to tell you that your own lovely high quality monitor is actually a piece of rubbish even though I've never used it.

Oh hell yeah. That’s gonna be so good. HDR is really striking, too, on games that support it.

I've been waiting for OLED gaming monitors in a reasonable (desk-suitable) size to actually become a thing for years now, looks like they're finally starting to appear.

Personally, I'd rather get one that has 4K resolution (for watching films and because it scales 1080p nicely), but sadly it looks like those don't quite exist yet. Maybe (hopefully) soon?

A 4K panel with the same pixel size as that 27 inch LG would be 40.5 inches, so I guess the pixel size is still too big. For games and video, I'd probably be OK with losing DPI to get OLED. But for productivity, I like more pixels.

I got the new Alienware QD-OLED 27", it looks amazing especially in dark games like the Thief series and The Dark Mod

Time for a new monitor (main game is Thief)
    CRT

That ship has sailed. I have the OLED I mentioned in post #13. The colours are indeed very nice and the resolution/size feels right. The only downside is that I can't make use of the high refresh rate because my graphics card can't go beyond 60Hz on its HDMI output. The other output is DVI which the monitor doesn't support.

I actually got a CRT a while back, a really good one that hardly has been used, NEC (can't remember the exact model)

It is very overrated though. i know there are people who swears they're still way ahead when it comes to how things looks in motion. Yes, it's a tiiiiny bit more fluid if you can hook up the same game to two monitors and compare. But it's not so much that i would say it's worth having. It's cool to have for emulators etc, having 1:1 resolution for old games, that's it..