TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: What are you playing? (2024 Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    It could simply be you getting older and your body needing more time to adjust between tasks. I know that has been something I've had to accept myself as I approach 50 (granted with a medical condition sapping my reserves on top). It may seem excessive to you now, but if you learn to accept that this is what you need to do now, you should still find a lot of enjoyment in gaming. Try to see it as getting ready for some real quality uninterrupted gaming time instead of a quick fix.
    What do you mean, I'm approaching 50? I'm not even 49 yet! It's still months away!

I know what you mean, though, and it's definitely true. I find it easier with movies, not because I watch them more passively (I honestly don't think I do, and I have 100+ hours of podcast I've made as proof ), but because their flow is out of my hands, at least if I'm at the cinema. I have to keep pace with them or I don't have a chance of enjoying them.
    Last edited by Thirith; 4th Apr 2024 at 05:13.

Chakat sex pillow
    Joke's on you, olds! I couldn't play Thief even when I was a teenager without needing to switch back to Descent for a mine run or three back in the day. Imagine me having the patience to play Thief and TBP now.

That's how ADHD works right, you get more distracted the older you get?

verbose douchebag
    I'm having a blast with Helldivers II.
    I'm not much of a multiplayer person, but this game definitely gets more fun with others, even if only because the harder missions with more interesting enemies are damn near impossible solo.
    If any of you are on there and see me online, feel free to hit me up in case I have time for a mission or 2.
    I'm faetal on Steam.

Playing through Amnesia: Rebirth right now, because it's leaving Game Pass in a couple of days. Rebirth is the first Amnesia game that I've played (despite owning some of them for years) and so far it's been... decent, I guess. I really liked the first few hours of the game, but it's getting a bit too weird now with all sorts of alien technology and dimension portals and stuff.

Rebirth is more story than game, and for once I'm actually really pleased that I don't have to run around searching for collectibles and trying to explore every corner of the map. The dark and mysterious story succeeds in creating a nerve-racking atmosphere, although it must be said that it loses some of its effect when the game tries to scare you all the time. I'd prefer some more calm and quiet moments. Gameplay-wise Rebirth offers nothing special, apart from the whole fear system maybe. I don't know how it works, but maybe it's better that way!

One more thing. Tasi, the protagonist of the game, is either really short or then everyone else in the game are giants. I find it somewhat annoying when all the door handles and levers are only slightly below the eye level.

How does Rebirth compare to the other Amnesia games?

I'm not sure, but I started Dark Descent recently after having owned it for, like, decades, and to be honest I didn't enjoy it much. I found the woozy insanity effects to be unpleasant (I mean, as they should be, but it wasn't fun to experience it over and over), and the story was tediously verbose. I never actually got to the point of encountering an enemy, though, so maybe it picks up after that. But the next evening, when I had the chance to play it again, I asked myself: do I actually care what happens? And the answer was no.

Brethren
    The latest Amnesia game, The Bunker, is really good. It's genuinely scary, and it's got some immersive sim elements to it as well. It's all kind of all based around a hub area that you'll return to throughout the game, and the story itself much more straightforward and conventional than the rest of the Amnesia games (for the most part). I don't want to say anymore to ruin the experience, but I'd definitely recommend it (and it's also on Gamepass if you want to give it a try for free).

Level 10,000 achieved
    I like those Amnesia games.

Anyway, office mates roped me into playing Diablo 4 this week. We did some QUESTS??? and RAIDS??? I think. It didn't wow me over. Now they're trying to get me into World of Warcraft. They say it is sure to WOW me over. I don't get it.

Thing What Kicks
    I can't think of anything more anti-henke than the average MMO / Live Service game.

Don't get me wrong, some of them have interesting co-op stuff going on. But all too often their "high level" play comes down to little more than party-based rhythm games; you will fill your role and perform this exact action at this exact moment, and if you don't, the whole team dies.
    It's pretty much the antithesis of emergent gameplay.

On top of which, there are very few, if any of these games that haven't been infected by microtransactions and FOMO.

Guild Wars 2 is probably one of the most generous examples out there (certainly the one I have the most experience with), with a whole world available to explore for free that has massive amounts of excellent open world content before you even start thinking about buying expansions.
    But even there, there's constant dark pattern exposure encouraging players to spend money on microtransactions.

These days, I would feel dirty trying to convince friends to play one of these games.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Anyway, office mates roped me into playing Diablo 4 this week. We did some QUESTS??? and RAIDS??? I think. It didn't wow me over. Now they're trying to get me into World of Warcraft. They say it is sure to WOW me over. I don't get it.
    Sounds like your office friends are pretty into MMOs! That's a preference thing at the end of the day, really.

Jesh and I did the Diablo 4 beta prior to release and came to the same conclusion. It's all right, but nothing particularly engaging. We did play D3 with Malf as well, and honestly the actual draw is just faffing around with friends. The game itself was so-so, except for when we got to a point where the screen was basically hydras, death lasers, explosions, meteors, and teleportation zapping going on across almost the entire screen. The enemies were basically lost in particle effects because we were firing off so many skills at once. It was completely ridiculous, but also took a long time to get there. So on balance, it was... all right? Overall, my experience with D3 and D4 wasn't particularly memorable. I'd rather just play D1 solo again.

Thing What Kicks
    Level disparity is one of the major drawbacks in these kinds of games for me. It's all very well telling your friends to play with you, but the conversation inevitably reaches an uncomfortable point where you say something like "Oh, but the fun starts at level 80!" or "Yeah, the first hundred+ hours aren't really representative of how the game plays at high level."

I honestly think it's entirely reasonable for people to give up at that point and play something that doesn't require a massive time investment to get to the good bits. In fact, I'd say that's probably the healthy option, eschewing all of the passive aggressive bullshit between friends stuff like this fosters.

Helldivers 2 seems to have neatly sidestepped a lot of this, but I haven't played enough to be certain that some of the stuff locked behind War Bonds isn't overpowered and essential.

Doing my annual replay of Morrowind. This time around I decided to do the main content in reverse order: Bloodmoon first, Tribunal second and Sixth House last.

Morrowind is still Morrowind nearly 22 years later.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    I can't think of anything more anti-henke than the average MMO / Live Service game.
    Haha yeah. We've played various multiplayer games lately, I already cajoled these guys into a few sessions of One Armed Robber. In turn, I'm being a good sport going along with all this MMO stuff for a bit. D4 is in the Game Pass and WoW is free till lvl20 so this isn't costing me anything. D4 looks great and the gameplay is very smooth but also so dang easy as to get boring quickly. You soon figure out a nice lil routine of throwing down some AOE thingy, then shooting arrows and dodging a bit. Then you repeat that procedure a billion times? It's so easy that barely any teamwork was required. We played the first 30 min or so of WoW today and I immediately preferred its slower pace, and it feels like more teamwork might be required? Still, I very much doubt I'll get into it, but I must say it is fun to finally see what the hubbub is about, even if I'm 20 years late to the party.

WK, do you use any mods or open morrowind?

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    WK, do you use any mods or open morrowind?
    Using OpenMW and official mods only, I have yet to have the desire to mod my experience much more in any of my annual replays. OpenMW was the biggest thing I did, it also makes the experience a lot more stable (especially when alt-tabbing).

I tried to replay Morrowind a few years ago, the world is every bit as compelling as any of the other Elder Scrolls games, but after Oblivion and Skyrim it just feels a bit rough around the edges. In my view it is crying out for a remaster.

Skywind, the fan-made total conversion in the Skyrim engine, is shaping up nicely. It's taking a long time, certainly, but it looks to me like they'll finish it, also because AFAIK they've got permission from Bethesda.

Done with Amnesia: Rebirth! I found the latter half of the game a bit tedious, but all in all it's a decent game. I may give The Bunker a try later, thanks for the recommendation.

Now I'm back to playing Ghostwire: Tokyo that I already started a couple of weeks ago. I think you'd need to have some knowledge of the Japanese culture to truly understand this game, but so far it's been pretty good. Ghostwire is a FPS, but the actual combat is probably the worst part of the game. Fortunately you'll acquire some elemental powers and other stuff throughout the game, so it does at least get a bit better, but the first few hours in particular were quite boring.

The city looks good and it's really big, but it also feels a bit bland. It doesn't feel like a real place where people have lived, it feels more like a giant playground. The story is good enough and the few characters are quite interesting, so I'm looking forward to seeing where this adventure takes me.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I enjoyed Ghostwire. It was a fun open world.

Anyway, finally played through This War Of Mine over the past couple days. I'd put it off forever because I thought it might be a really heavy game, buuuut... not really? Maybe I'm just a cold hearted son of a bitch. I was glad to discover that it is a thoroughly engrossing survival game though. The gameloop of base management at day/scavenging at night is incredibly addictive and it's hard to put down at any point, you always feel like "Just one more day! One more day!" It's also a really tense stealth game. The actual mechanics are quite simple, but the sheer weight that the permadeath structure brings makes hiding from enemies nailbitingly tense. Great game. I finished my playthrough in 9 hours. Lost 2 members of my group. Didn't kill anyone. Did steal from maybe a few folks that didn't really deserve it tho. Hey man, it was war!

Also been replaying GTA 4, getting close to the end. Is this my fave GTA? It might be? I still like how (relatively) down to earth the story is, the vehicle physics are the best in the series, perhaps the best in any open world action game. I love how gritty and un-glamorous the combat is. But there's plenty of things to be annoyed by as well: the lack of checkpoints, the constant phone calls, the rampant misogyny. This also feels like the start of R* making their missions a lot more scripted, not always to positive results. So many scripted car chases where the car you're chasing is invincible and on a scripted path until a specified point where their script ends, so their car slows down significantly and is easily caught up with and destroyed. WHY, man? Just let the systems speak for themselves!

And we had a great session of One-Armed Robber, with Sulphur, Jesh and Dema last night. When we actually planned things out and managed to rob a place without setting off any alarms it was very satisfying. I kinda wanna play one of those PayDays now.

I’d be up for trying out Payday some time. I think I bought the second game at some point when it was pretty cheap.

verbose douchebag
    I've been playing a game called Infection Free Zone, which is a fairly by-the-numbers zombie survival game, but with a very cool twist.
    It uses real map data to generate the game area, to google earth LOD. So you can basically see how the zombie apocalypse will play out in your neighbourhood, or wherever you please.
    It even takes into account building data, so e.g. bakeries can be looted for food, police stations can be looted for guns, libraries for research data etc.
    I think it is slightly overpriced, and it is still in early access, but nevertheless, surprisingly compelling.

I've been playing New Vegas again, and I am decidedly not enjoying it as much as I remembered. For starters, there's so much empty space in the world, and while maybe back in 2011 I was happy to explore it all, in 2024 when I enter a building that has three floors with seven empty rooms each, I tend to want to skip it. And that's maybe the problem, that've been skipping too much. Maybe I'm missing out on some of the quests that appealed to me in the past. But of the quests I have been doing, the writing hasn't particularly stood out, especially after Pentiment and Disco Elysium. I put a lot into my speech stat, and it feels like I can breeze through almost any scenario with a quick and ultimately unsatisfying speech check (someone will be like, "I don't want to do this," and I'll say, "Come on now!" and they'll say, "Wow, you've convinced me!" and the quest is over). And the combat is pretty tedious: you run out of VATS and then you just walk backwards away from enemies, clicking on them until they hopefully die.

I feel like I'm being too hard on it, but I've almost reached the strip and I don't have much motivation to continue. I'll put in another few hours and then maybe see how well Fallout 4 has aged once that new update comes out next week.

Chakat sex pillow
    Fallout 4 aged the day it came out. Maybe even well before that. I mean, look, if you want to shoot stuff in post-apo town, yeah sure, it does that well. But we already had Rage several years prior. FO4's great addition was settlements, because what everyone wanted in their nukular roach-shooting 50s America cultural holocaust satire series was putting up walls all over the landscape and then maintaining and defending them until you fell over dead from boredom.

I never did finish New Vegas, but now I'm curious about it again. I enabled Survival mode or whatever it's called, and that made things interesting-ish. Combat always sucked from FO3 onwards, so well, I guess that's gonna just be a bridge to cross.

But first, Outer Wilds. Hopefully before I melt into a puddle from the decidedly pre-apocalyptic sun outside.

I liked 4 back in the day, but that was after I switched to hardcore mode. I know it's not cool to like it, but my steam page says 184 hours, so there must've been something. Enjoy your preapocalyptic sun; it's below freezing here today and I hate it.

Chakat sex pillow
    Nah, you can like what you like. FO4's gameplay loop worked for a lot of folks, clearly; it just feels hollow to me because that's not primarily what I'm there for, I expect it to feed into other parts that should be way better, and Bethesda...

...anyway, I think we're both having a bad time of it for very different reasons, because here it's a 43 degree celsius summer (and we haven't even hit the midpoint yet!) + humidity. Feels like I'm back in my hometown, and I sorta left there because I wanted to not feel like I was living in a sauna. Oh well, that's what living in a tropical hellscape is, I suppose.

Thing What Kicks
    I've been dipping in and out of New Vegas too thanks to the surprisingly decent TV show, as well as flailing around for something satisfying after devoting myself to Dragon's Dogma 2 for a couple of weeks.
    And I hate to say this, as I previously had very fond memories of New Vegas, but I just can't stand it now. It's hard to describe, but it feels like you're playing as a camera moving around a predominantly brown wasteland in a map editor rather than a character. I know there's good stuff in there to discover, but I just can't get past how primitive the moment to moment gameplay feels.

Ultimately, someone at Bethesda needs to admit defeat, ditch Gamebryo/Creation, understand that the series just worked better when it was isometric and turn-based, realise that Larian just had a completely MAHOOSIVE hit with a turn-based, isometric RPG and say "You know what? Let's do a Larian-style glow-up on Fallout 1/2 or make a new Fallout a la BG3 / DOS2."

If there's any through-line I can see in Bethesda's games post-Morrowind, it's a drive towards simplifying role-playing and relying more on procedural content (not procedural maps, but quests and such via Radiant.)
    That has culminated in Starfield.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast