TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AI Is Taking Your Job

AI Is Taking Your Job

So what are your thoughts about AI now that it's being blamed for some layoffs and undoubtedly going to cause thousands upon thousands of job losses in the years to come?

If an AI can do them, then maybe some of those jobs are useless, busy work.

I have to think end of this road is Universal Income.

The more efficient the economy gets, the more UI appears to become sustainable & economically rational, and AI taking up increasing chunks of the human resources space, in combination with the next stage in globalization -- a heap of agricultural economies industrialize as industrial economies move into the information economy, where AI push costs to a minimum for consumers while maximizing tax revenue -- may push efficiency further than anything else.

My thought about that is that that's a good thing.

Nothing staves off labour exploitation better than choice in the labour market while still getting all of your basic needs met whether you enter the labour market or not, all while still maintaining a basic liberal capitalist system, so basic price signalling and market forces still work like they're supposed to and don't go berserk like in a command economy brand of communism. An economy needs to be incredibly efficient for that to work, and AI is a critical piece to that, I think.
    Last edited by demagogue; 1st Feb 2024 at 21:46.

I see intellectualism under attack so often today from various groups that beat the war drum about how pointless university is. AI will put the last nail in the coffin of universities in the coming decades. There will be AI programs running nearly everything, including the creation of more advanced AI. All publications and music will be written by machines and approved by the party. Forced labor will be the only occupation for most people. Human creativity will be destroyed by economic efficiencies. There will be no point to living life.

Well about university titles, you can have one in Italy but they ask you to have experience in the field before they give you a job, and you can't have experience at all because you don't have a job.... its a vicious circle. That and the saturation of titles of the same kind, is the death of the job market, long before AI.

Solution, move somewhere else and get a job.

About the AI, I was watching some Tesla cars going nuts when on self drive causing accidents, if that is what the AI thinks is good driving, I'll stay clear of self driving cars.

No 阿姨 is going to take my job.

Nor mine, because it is impossible until AI becomes physically autonomous

AI will take some of our jobs, but don't worry, it will create more. Just think about how many job functions were eliminated by mainframe computers, and how much personal computing and the internet has changed your life in the last 30 years. Then think about how much AI is already everywhere in your life, including where you're not consciously aware of it. We're in the middle of the revolution already.

Chakat sex pillow
    The blue sky ideal is that AI will take all the busywork away from our lives, leaving us to do the more interesting decision-based stuff (this is the pitch most corporates have used and are using, and in fact will use, to explain how RPA and, shortly, AI bring about FTE reductions in certain work queues; the justification being you upskill yourself now to do the things that require you to engage your skills at a more involved level up the chain). What that is is subject to whatever the variables in play evolve to; I know we're already looking at AI to help with facilitating instructional design and deployment at the low-level, so claims of it destroying education are far-fetched at this juncture.

We may eventually reach WALL-E world, or something worse, but that's not happening today, or tomorrow. A decade or two from now will be an interesting place to exist in, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    The blue sky ideal is that AI will take all the busywork away from our lives, leaving us to do the more interesting decision-based stuff
    Yeah this is what we used to think decades ago, but AI got too smart. Now for that to become closer to possible, we'll need to come up with fully functional androids that can take human menial labour (retail, unskilled positions, etc).

Then, like Dema said, universal basic income.

The problem with the latter is the planet is overpopulated. And even if that becomes possible, we'll need laws to prevent profiteering. Once universal basic income becomes a thing, I can see predatory landlords jacking up their rent far beyond the basic income people receive, and big companies raising prices to take a bigger chunk from people.

(I think the housing crisis can be fixed by governments forcibly allotting OWNED affordable housing for people; there's enough unaffordable condos out there that can be expropriated from developers and given to people who need them, but that's another topic, sorry to digress)

Or, once AI becomes smarter than humans in every way, we ask them for solutions and see what it proposes.

Relevant

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    Yeah this is what we used to think decades ago, but AI got too smart. Now for that to become closer to possible, we'll need to come up with fully functional androids that can take human menial labour (retail, unskilled positions, etc).
    That's a little removed from our current reality. We don't have 'AI' that is 'too smart' in the year of our lord 2024, at least not in any publicly available capacity beyond being really good at chess or mahjong, and not with any real ability to interface and replace swathes of the supply chain in a human workplace. What we have is machines that can do calculations and repetitive jobs faster than a human being can, or a very fancy set of statistical models trained to remix input libraries without reasoning processes attached to them. Of course, the latter is being worked upon as we speak, but even then what their applicability will be in all spheres of human endeavour is an open question that will be determined by their capability sets. It's certainly not something that's going to be perfected very soon, but soon-ish we'll have general assistants that simulate the ability to reason as the first wave, sure.

And yeah, good tweet, but as far as I see it, what we have right now in LLMs is very efficient ways to increase information entropy and the baseline level of pap in our media to irresponsible levels more than replacing art wholesale as a reflection of human experience.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 2nd Feb 2024 at 10:55.

Mr. Mahathey is teaching his students ancient history with the help of Assassins Creed Odyssey.
    Could any AI do that?
    https://www.unilad.com/news/tiktok/t...49862-20240201

The teacher has now gone viral on TikTok after he uploaded footage playing Assassinís Creed in an effort to teach his class history.

If you're wondering why he opted for the popular game, that's because there are many references to key points such as Ancient Egypt and American Revolution within the game play.

Social Studies teacher Mr Mahathey played Assassinís Creed Odyssey to show off The Battle of Thermopylae as a way to educate his students about Greece, which definitely grabbed their interest.

Mr Mahathey can be seen showing the kids the location and explaining: ďSo, right there, thatís going to be the entrance to Thermopylae. Thatís a very narrow passageway in order for the Persians and the Greeks to fight.Ē

This is what the ďAGI means we need UBIĒ crowd gets wrong.

Capitalism has a lot of built-in mechanisms (e.g. comparative advantage, deflation, prices going to zero as supply approaches infinity) that makes it spontaneously offer something thatís UBI-like, without the communism.

Capitalism may provide free-ish e-mail and generative AI, but it isn't showing any signs of providing free food or shelter (nevermind healthcare lol), so insofar as it's "UBI-like" it is also totally and utterly useless at taking the place of UBI.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    This is what the ďAGI means we need UBIĒ crowd gets wrong.

Capitalism has a lot of built-in mechanisms (e.g. comparative advantage, deflation, prices going to zero as supply approaches infinity) that makes it spontaneously offer something thatís UBI-like, without the communism.
    "Gets wrong?"

Buahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.... gasp hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Robber Barons, Sparky. It's all about concentration of wealth and power, not the greater good. Do you think Jeff Bezos wants to fully automate Amazon so his minions can have rich, fulfilling lives? Buahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!

Self-regulating capitalism? Where do you kids get this fantasy bullshit from?

The only thing stopping money grubbing, predatory sociopaths... I mean, capitalists... from replacing their human workforce, is supply and demand. They need a supply of moderately solvent peasants to demand their warehouses full of crap, which requires an army of (probably brown skinned) off-shore serfs to produce.

But don't worry, as moderately solvent peasants, our place in the scheme is safe for now. However the serf can safely be replaced by robots and eventually starved out of their misery. Such is the charity of the .01%

UBI is part of a capitalist system. Nobody is saying Alaska is a communist state.

I am probably misunderstanding you but what makes UBI a capitalist feature? Surely it's a concept that can exist, by that name or another, in several economic and political structures. In a sense it is definitive of pure communism (to each according to their need) but it is not excusive to it.

It might be. I could have said it can be consistent with a capitalist system, but I took the tack of meaning the one UBI program that currently actually exists in the world is part of a capitalist system, Alaska state's program. (Alaska's program isn't UBI, though, it's just on the way. There are a lot of little edits or caveats to make to make the overall point.)

If you push me though, I don't believe a truly communist system would be able to have the economic efficiency to sustain a UBI program, and it would require a capitalist system to work sustainably. But that would take more space to argue out than I want to here, and I wouldn't say it definitely, only there are considerations worth thinking about in that direction in thinking about how to plan or design a system that could work in the real world.

Oh. I wasn't aware that Alaska had a UBI. Well done. It makes special sense that the USA (or any country - are you listening, Canada?) should supplement those living on the frontier. If you want your flag waving in the hinterland, pitch in to make it happen.

As far as Communism actually delivering on its promises, I agree that it cannot. But I feel the same about all the ...isms. The problem is, IMO, that any ...ism quickly gets gamed by crooks. Free-for-all Capitalism is just as prone to abuse. Under Communism, crooked politicians control business while under Capitalism, crooked business men control government. And both do so through manipulating the law. So no real difference in actuality.

I don't know if there's no real difference... capitalism at least we know that it functions and we have a robust idea when and where it doesn't. Communism has never even been tried in its "workers control the means of the production" form. To me it seems a lot like libertarianist fantasies where a lot of utopian assumptions are made about human nature but in reality it all falls apart really quickly. In theory, any idealised hypothetical system can work better than capitalism, but the real pudding is getting it to work with humans with all their flaws and ambitions.

Communism but where you can miraculously prevent the takeover by egotistical, power-hungry individuals: there’s the rub.

AI can have my job, I'll go and do something worthwhile instead.

To be fair AI did not take my last job that I didn't want, but someone younger did. But then he didn't want it either. I doubt AI wants it either.

In theory, any idealised hypothetical system can work better than capitalism, but the real pudding is getting it to work with humans with all their flaws and ambitions.
    Capitalism can't work unless it is overlaid with effective regulation or some other moderating force. Capitalism has never existed in it's purist, meritocratic form either. The real pudding is always blood-and-shit pudding, concocted by crooks, regardless of the ...ism or ...ocracy. They do it everything nice humans invent; that's why this sub-thread is still peripherally relevant to the topic. "Robots can rescue humans from drudgery." And the crooks say, "Robots can automate criminal oppression".

Quote Originally Posted by mxleader View Post
    To be fair AI did not take my last job that I didn't want, but someone younger did. But then he didn't want it either. I doubt AI wants it either.
    Are you sure it was a younger human, though?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast