TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thief 1 FM - Coveted Formulae - 09 May 2024

Thief 1 FM - Coveted Formulae - 09 May 2024

This is a fan mission I made to get my bearings, see what I've done right, see what I can improve. I present: Coveted Formulae.

Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xb0...ew?usp=sharing

Briefing:
    Tonight's job is a small one, and a simple one - but only the foolish and the broke turn down all the little ones. An anonymous client rapped upon the door of this week's dirt-caked flophouse, leaving behind nothing but a little sack of gold and a note.

They want me to break into one of Tol Camrick and Sons' smaller foundries down in the Old Quarter, and steal the formula for their plate alloy. If it were a chemist daring enough to rob a bank or break someone out of Cragscleft, they would've stolen it already, so if I were a gambling man I'd say my client is some taffer from the Shemenov company.

The 550 coins they're offering up ought to cover my rent for the next month, but I'll need some more if I want to eat more than shoe leather. Nearby Hammerite church was sold and moved out of recently, but they still maintain a small compound in the utilities and sewer lines underneath this neighborhood. There's a taphouse I should also hit along the way, since the wine market is always reliable. Lastly, I should remember that Tol Camrick isn't the dumbest company around. I should scope the place out and do some research before I go in.

Notes:
    - The drunkard and the bartender are non-hostile unless you decide to hit them for some reason.
    - This is my first level, so I made it in 64x64x64 to keep myself from getting too ambitious and getting stuck. However, there's still a couple routes for a more enterprising thief, so keep your eyes peeled.
    - I'd expect most players to complete this in 10-25 minutes.
    - I designed this around Expert, and recommend playing it on that difficulty.
    - There is an inevitable level 2 (searching with sword up) alert, but that one NPC is isolated to one room and can't tell his buddies, and he is alerted by you leaving the room.

Let me know what you liked and didn't like. Aside from spoiler content below, I'm most worried about if the loot requirement was too hard to meet, as well as minor Dromed mistakes like glitched readables. I spent a lot of time being paranoid about readables. I'm very new to Thief FM making, so I also want to know how to get my mission onto platforms like Taffer's Paradise and Thiefguild.

Commentary after mission:
    -I was really happy with how the safe alarm turned out. I'm not 100% sure I gave the right amount of hints or not, but I tried to be generous without shoving them in the player's face.
    -I wasn't happy with the Hammerite Archer on Expert not making a noise to "announce himself" at the beginning of the mission. If anyone knows how to make an AI make a normal idling noise while waiting at an AIWatchObj, lmk please.
    -There's a hidden rope arrow spot in the southwest that gets you a quicker and safer route into the sewers. I really liked how it turned out.
    -I was frustrated with height changes in the hallways below the inn making AIs make less footstep noises no matter what I did. However, I think the visual appearance of that hallway turned out almost perfectly, with that light beam down the center and the flickering light making it worth a chef's kiss.
    -I was disappointed that AIs didn't make sloshing sounds walking in water. Again, if someone knows a solution, LMK.
    -In the southwest of the map, in where the statue was moved from, listen very closely. They're watching.
    -I prefer low loot counts, I dislike loot requirements above 2000 in general.
    -I like EAX, and more missions should have it.
    Last edited by StandAndDeliver; 4th Jun 2024 at 17:38. Reason: Added small fix to make finding a certain loot object easier

mission complete on expert 658/841 loot,, 5/5 pick pockets nice mission going to see where the loot i am missing is

only thing i would change is how some doors open into hallways blocking way through, maybe slide doors would be better
    Last edited by downwinder; 9th May 2024 at 20:19. Reason: added amount to total loot

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    mission complete on expert 622/841 loot,, 5/5 pick pockets nice mission going to see where the loot i am missing is

only thing i would change is how some doors open into hallways blocking way through, maybe slide doors would be better
    The one about the bar door opening outwards is on purpose so that drunks can get out, but if you're talking about the Hammerite utility building I'll check that out. I remember getting that to open inwards, but maybe I deleted it to debug it and forgot about it. If I find anything I'll upload an updated version before long so I can get more glitches fixed at once. I'll also check the doors in the bar and hammerite compound to see if I missed any.

yeah they both open into hallway, it nothing massive, the rest of the loot i am missing must be hidden well i cant find it

great job on mission cant wait to see you next mission ohh also add a healing fruit in the bar, i needed something refreshing to munch

I downloaded the FM from the link in the first post, and I have quite a lot of missing wall textures (blue surfaces instead) near the start. I unintalled the mission from Angel Loader (v1.9.4), deleted it, and downloaded it again, but the problem persists. I also tried disabling all the mods in Angel Loader, but that didn't cure it.

The walls missing textures are the wall visible to the left looking out from the starting point, and the whole of the archway it is attached to (but not the plaque above the other side of that arch, which is OK): and virtually all the walls of the covered passageway that connects the two outside locations in the starting area. All interiors and the sewer/underground section are OK.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?
    Last edited by Marbrien; 11th May 2024 at 06:48.

I'm very new to Thief FM making, so I also want to know how to get my mission onto platforms like Taffer's Paradise and Thiefguild.
    Hi there!

You used "upgrade to creator account" option on Thief Guild, and this is 100% what you should've done.

I've just upgraded your account now!

Please see an e-mail from me for more info

Your mission page: https://www.thiefguild.com/fanmissio...veted-formulae

Congrats on the release!

Konrad

Brethren
    Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    I downloaded the FM from the link in the first post, and I have quite a lot of missing wall textures (blue surfaces instead) near the start.
    Playing with T2 by chance? This is for T1. Guessing there's no AI in the mission either.

No. Angel Loader regards it as a T1 FM. And there are normal looking AI.

Congrats to the author. It was a enjoyable small mission.

Great first mission it had a lot of good features like the hidden tunnel
    Looking forward to seeing more missions!

Marbrien: I played this with Angel loader with no problems

Quote Originally Posted by Marzec View Post
    Hi there!

You used "upgrade to creator account" option on Thief Guild, and this is 100% what you should've done.

I've just upgraded your account now!

Please see an e-mail from me for more info

Your mission page: https://www.thiefguild.com/fanmissio...veted-formulae

Congrats on the release!

Konrad
    I did that but I'm impatient lol, thanks for getting it done early.

whats the further way after using the elevator. i saw a flower box which i can reach but i have been there before

If you have found the safe with the formula document, then in a wall above the steps leading to that room is a golden grate, which is another way down to the sewer section.

I downloaded the FM from the link in the first post, and I have quite a lot of missing wall textures (blue surfaces instead) near the start. I unintalled the mission from Angel Loader (v1.9.4), deleted it, and downloaded it again, but the problem persists. I also tried disabling all the mods in Angel Loader, but that didn't cure it.

The walls missing textures are the wall visible to the left looking out from the starting point, and the whole of the archway it is attached to (but not the plaque above the other side of that arch, which is OK): and virtually all the walls of the covered passageway that connects the two outside locations in the starting area. All interiors and the sewer/underground section are OK.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?
    one of those missing textures could be bricb256 which is in fam in a folder called tgtest.
    do you have tgtest in your fam folder?

I don't know if this is relevant, but I think my version of T1 was patched long ago by something provided on this forum so that it would also run TG.

In the THIEF game folder, I do not have a folder called fam or tgtest.

But there is a folder called MODS, which has a subfolder FAM, but there is nothing under there called tgtest.

There is a folder calledc PATCHES, inside which is a file called fam.crf.

There is also a folder called RES, inside which is a file called fam.crf.

There is also a folder called tgpatch, which too has a file called fam.crf.

If you meant the FMs folder set specific to this FM, under there I do not have either a folder called fam or tgtest.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I think my version of T1 was patched long ago by something provided on this forum so that it would also run TG.

In the THIEF game folder, I do not have a folder called fam or tgtest.

But there is a folder called MODS, which has a subfolder FAM, but there is nothing under there called tgtest.

There is a folder calledc PATCHES, inside which is a file called fam.crf.

There is also a folder called RES, inside which is a file called fam.crf.

There is also a folder called tgpatch, which too has a file called fam.crf.

If you meant the FMs folder set specific to this FM, under there I do not have either a folder called fam or tgtest.
    https://pixeldrain.com/u/tNLgDrfy

extract fam folder which is contained in the .rar file into coveted formulae main folder and see if his fixes at least two textures.

Congrats on the new release! I wonder if anyone beta tested this mission. There seems to be some missing room brushes just outside the building where the formulae is located.

Edit: It seems that sounds are dropping out at random places and times. I frobbed the gold wine bottle but there was no loot sound. After a reload the sound chime was there.

Also, one of the Hammerites tried to attack me while I was in the elevator shaft, and he went up to a point just below the elevator object and then died.

Its also hard to post here at TTLG because of repeated Internal Server Errors.
    Last edited by john9818a; 12th May 2024 at 21:45.

Thank you bassoferrol.

Following your previous post, I went looking for bricb256.png and found it in in another FM, the Scarlet Cascabel, so I copied the entire fam folder from that FM to the coveted_formulae FM folder, and that resolved the missing texture issue in the latter FM.

But how this problem arose, and why I am the only one reporting it, I don't know.

The bricb256.pcx texture present in the folders fam\NewMage and fam\tgtest (inside the fam.crf file that is present somewhere in the game folder) appears to be from the OM "The Mage Towers", which AFAIK was not present in Thief 1, but only in Thief Gold. The file date (somewhere in 1999 while Thief 1 non-gold textures are usually from 1998) also supports this theory. Apparently, the path for Thief 1 ("TDP") users to play missions for Thief Gold ("TG") as well did not provide that texture for some unknown reason, or maybe something went wrong while patching or even afterwards. Since I don't have Thief 1, but Thief Gold, I have no reliable way of testing this.

Thanks.

What do I need to do to permanently fix this so it does not happen again?

Brethren
    Buy a copy of Thief Gold on Steam (currently at $0.97).

(Although, I overall don't understand the logic here, because this is supposed to be a T1 FM, which means it shouldn't have any textures from Thief Gold).

Some people do not strictly distinguish Thief 1 non-Gold missions from Thief Gold missions. This includes myself - I do not have Thief 1, only Thief Gold, and although there is a program/patch available that turns a Thief Gold installation into a non-Gold one, I do neither know how close it comes to a "real" non-Gold version, nor whether it does work for all Thief OldDark and NewDark versions.

It may also be that the description "Thief 1 mission" was made to distinguish it from a mission for Thief 2. It may then technically be a partially wrong label, but an understandable error.

Perhaps one should include the textures that are not present in non-Gold into the mission, and someone with a non-Gold version of Thief 1 should test this. The mission would then be playable with Thief 1 with or without Gold.

I also dimly remember that at least one of the patchers for Thief 1 and 2, namely TFix and T2Fix, is supposed to include many resources which might be missing from a Thief 1/Gold/2 installation, but I don't know which one. Perhaps TFix could include the textures missing from T1 non-Gold installations, thus fixing this problem. Ask TFix's maker if you wish.

if anyone is in southern, California i would be more then happy to donate my original thief 1 disk with jewel case and insert included for free if anyone is interested also i have a thief 3 game with everything included also would donate to anyone in my area for free

Thanks StandAndDeliver (is this an ode to Adam and the Ants? Your Money or Your Life?) for your new FM. It was fun.

I'm running a TG install ‘fresh' from about 3 years ago. Your FM worked fine with tfix. No video issues for me.

For the slight negative; I found a sound issue. It seems my default audio settings got jumbled and I had to adjust them after “installing” the FM. Ambient was at about 75%, but total volume was at about 35%. I was wondering why I could not hear the lock picks. I set volume at about 95% and kicked down ambient to 50%, then all was OK. I’m not sure, but it seems your FM may have overridden my default sound settings somehow. No big deal though. Easy fix.

I look forward to your next effort. And I appreciate and value your labor of love making this FM. You did a good thing. How long did this effort take, guestimated? I tried DromEd long ago and took many hours just to make one room! Thanks for sticking it out.

Regards

I already have legit copies of T1 and TG. But at the time the whatever TG fix became available via these forums, I think I only had T1 installed, so used that fix rather than install TG as well. And besides, as has already been pointed out, this was billed as a T1 FM.

As far as I recall, this is the first time I have had this issue with either a T1 or TG FM.

I was hoping that simply by copying a certain file or folder from location X to location Y I might prevent this issue from happening again, but I need someone to give me a steer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast