TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TDS20AC Mission A Shadow on the Water (05/25/2024)

TDS20AC Mission A Shadow on the Water (05/25/2024)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission A Shadow on the Water by nicked. This mission is for Thief 2.
    You can download the mission HERE.
    The contest thread is HERE.

Please give clues instead of outright solutions when helping others and use the spoiler tag when you do this.
    Last edited by skacky; 1st Jun 2024 at 17:39. Reason: Updated download link

Fantastically done; great conveyance throughout, a good size, a fairly unused set of environmental elements, and some nice depth of options. I gotta admit, the customwork is nice, but it really just drives home how crappy the interface for TDS is.

I played this beautiful gem and I can only say: WOW, unthinkable what the NewDark Engine from T2 is capable of. Beautiful setting, great effects of lightning making you visible if standing too close to the windows, the design, an unfolding story from the playbook of Lovecraft, a house full of secrets and lots to explore, despite being a small to medium-sized mission.

(Warning, serious spoilers!)

Especially the invisible ghost in the basement, leaving visible traces walking through the water. Caterines room was really atmospheric, all these swimming candles I never had seen in a fan mission before.

It took me 1 hour and 24 minutes to finish it and was only 23 away from the loot maximum
    Found all secrets, they are cleverly hinted by readables.

I concur, please provide me with an obvious hint, the lock, I am in the room with a painted sun overlooking the mountain and I believe this is the right room for the lock? Alas, I cannot find where to use the key, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dkessler View Post
    I concur, please provide me with an obvious hint, the lock, I am in the room with a painted sun overlooking the mountain and I believe this is the right room for the lock? Alas, I cannot find where to use the key, Thanks
    You should take a very close look at the suitcase stack with the firewood logs on top. Mantle up and search the ceiling beam there closely.

need a bit of help i got 1/3 special loot pieces, i got the painting in attic, where are the other 2?

Nice mission. The lots of guards that just happen to appear or turn around when you move was challenging. Invisible thing in the basement was scary as heck. Thief Deadly Shadows screen popping up at start confused me then realized I was playing on Thief the Metal Age.
    Last edited by onetruekeeper; 27th May 2024 at 23:39.

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    need a bit of help i got 1/3 special loot pieces, i got the painting in attic, where are the other 2?
    there are notes about most everything; one is near a statue and I think another (which I couldn't find) is in the library. also check the guest bedrooms.

Wow! This was very impressive, from the use of TDS textures to the lightning, to the overall layout of the house, to the compelling story told in readables and audio (both the main story and the staff drama)... and the basement enemy! I swear, it could tell where I was in the water and always came right for me!
    Was there a way to kill the hunter? or to give Catherine peace?
    A little bit of "what do I do with this" would have been very interesting - destroy the tome, drop it in the canal, or leave as intended.

You can indeed destroy the tome as an alternative ending.

ty for tip, mission complete on expert 3892/4000,, 6/6 pockets picked, 2/3 secrets, 59 min to complete

i like this mission great job

Extremely impressed by how well this mission nails the TDS look, NewDark handles it like a champ. It's the high points of TDS distilled into a single mission which is really all I could ask for.

Results: 00:50:38, 3717/4000 loot, 3/3 secrets

My first instinct was to pick up the Compendium and drop it in a fireplace, only to realize that I couldn't! To me that would've been preferable over the fire arrow (and it would've made for a neat non-standard game over if you dropped it in the water!) but it's a minor nitpick given the overall quality of this mission. The invisible basement creature gave me the heebie-jeebies, though I ended up tracking it more by sound than by the ripples it made in the water. They were a cool detail, just a tad difficult to see.

We rarely get FMs of this quality nowadays. "I pReFeR T1 aEsthEtiCs" it is now. Pffft.

There is a little... not even an issue, more like inconvenience, but still: I wasn't able to understand the message on the Victrola. Too quiet, too long. The objective was self-explanatory though, so it is a very minor nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post
    I wasn't able to understand the message on the Victrola. Too quiet, too long. The objective was self-explanatory though, so it is a very minor nuance.
    For future reference, the victrola message (and other new voicework) has full subtitles if you turn them on.

I have also had some reports of the final objective not successfully ticking off. If you reach the point where all the other objectives are complete and you have got back to the boat, you can safely Ctrl+Shift+End without missing any content.

Great looking mission nicked, I enjoyed exploring and the boat ride was awesome!! I road around a couple of times thinking he was going to stop haha.

I've been running round the mansion for an hour, got the 3k loot, but unable to progress further than the secret passage in the guest rooms, there is only the dumbwaiter and thats it. Any hints, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Birm View Post
    Any hints, please?
    Have you been to the Music room?

Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post
    Have you been to the Music room?
    Its ok, I found the thing )
    Took some more roaming around.

Congratulations on the release, Nick!
    An excellent mission with a really great atmosphere- I really want to see more TDS style missions from you because this was truly stellar.

Nice mission! The thing in the basement scared the crap out me

Playing on normal, all objectives complete, jumping into the boat does not end the mission?

Can someone give me a hint on the location of the book in the library?

Yes there's currently a bug where the mission won't end on Normal difficulty. Hoping to get a patch out soon

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Yes there's currently a bug where the mission won't end on Normal difficulty. Hoping to get a patch out soon
    I kind of enjoyed the boat ride with Basso around the house

Quote Originally Posted by Kubrick View Post
    Can someone give me a hint on the location of the book in the library?
    Check the bookcases

Quote Originally Posted by Thinking Robot View Post
    You should take a very close look at the suitcase stack with the firewood logs on top. Mantle up and search the ceiling beam there closely.
    I can't find the at the suitcase stack with the firewood logs on top.. Is it in the room with the sun painting ?

Atmosphere is amazing. It does really resemble Thief DS lighting mood in Moira's mansion.

This FM is kind of a technical marvel isn't it? I mean, I clocked around 2+ hours on it, and at least quarter of that time was spent taking in The Stormy Night. The rain, the lightning, the rain streaks on windows, the audio design overall. It has such an absorbing atmosphere, gonna definitely return to it again many times, just to vibe.

Thank you, nicked.

I've uploaded a new version of this mission (v1.1) here, which fixes the mission not being completable on Normal along with a few other minor tweaks and fixes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PFg...ew?usp=sharing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast