TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TDS20AC Mission Wolfenstein (05/25/2024)

TDS20AC Mission Wolfenstein (05/25/2024)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission Wolfenstein by Adsk1. This mission is for Thief: Deadly Shadows.
    You can download the mission HERE.
    The contest thread is HERE.

Please give clues instead of outright solutions when helping others and use the spoiler tag when you do this.

The mission crashes to the desktop every time during the loading screen, after I selected "Start" in the briefing screen. I played the last T3 fan missions on the same computer and with the same installation. First time I am encountering this problem. MD5 hash of the TDS20AC_Wolfenstein.zip: 5237700ac27a415e58b4b3580436df35

Game starts correctly for me, nor did we experience crash at start during beta testing

Might be worth installing a fresh T3 game without any mods (or at least a few as possible, IIRC I only have the Collective Texture pack installed).

I installed TDS from scratch with recent Sneaky Upgrade https://www.moddb.com/mods/thief-3-s...de-fat-edition

Have no problem with launching mission. Used FMSel.

Sneaky Upgrader
    This FM needs the latest Sneaky Upgrade (1.1.11) as linked to by michael a above.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    This FM needs the latest Sneaky Upgrade (1.1.11) as linked to by michael a above.
    Its problem Sneaky 1.1.9.1 , I Upgrade to sneaky 1.1.11 no problem with launching now

Upgrading from 1.1.10 to 1.1.11 solved my issue, thank you.

if possible can someone do a playthrough of this mission "youtube" so i can see it in full , thank you in advance

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    if possible can someone do a playthrough of this mission "youtube" so i can see it in full , thank you in advance
    For that to happen i need to solve this god damn riddle of a mission first -,- So many great ideas and good architecture, but yet again an objective design straight out of hell. Purely made to make you feel bad and annoyed. This objective design is exactly the reason why the wrods keyhunt and grind were invented.

Sorry but thats how it is. I am literally the thief 3 expert, completly familiar with thief 3s clunks and even i struggle here.

@Owl2

It's not a difficult key hunt as all the keys are in plain sight, enter one house collect the next key, onto the next house, none of the keys are hidden in obscure places. Most Thief missions involve find keys to a certain extent and sometimes in really annoying places that involve pixel hunt tedium, that's not the case here so am struggling to understand why you are.

If you need any hints just post here in this forum.

Well can you tell me the locations of all the 5 letters and all 6 secrets?

All the letters are found in Puttkamer apartments building, that door should be open now you have the goal to find the 5 catalogue documents, just walk up to it.

There are 18 secrets in total, too early to post them in this thread, PM me if you want the list.
    Last edited by fortuni; 28th May 2024 at 14:21.

Finally I finished it.Thanks ADSK1 . Where do you get these new ideas from?All objective very good .There was a sequence in finding the room keys..I steal 81% . I found and steal 15 graves .5 catalogued documents . Coins {13 found}.
    10 secrets places about hidden areas . ​​I liked the idea of the timer to eliminate zombies {30s}. Finally, I found it very difficult to kill Heinrich, especially using Glyph Writer

From now on I will vote 10/10 .
    Last edited by osamaaaa; 31st May 2024 at 08:32.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    All the letters are found in Puttkamer apartments building, that door should be open now you have the goal to find the 5 catalogue documents, just walk up to it.

There are 18 secrets in total, too early to post them in this thread, PM me if you want the list.
    I have been looking for these 5 letters for so long now i only found 4. Nr 1 is missing. Where is nr 1?

Catalogue 1: flat 4, Puttkamer., on table in corner

errrr, thats nr 4. https://ibb.co/4tx70LD

No that's catalogue document is No 4, that's on the bed in flat 4, No 1 is on the table in the corner by the front door, flat 4 Screenshot

Here's the full list of document locations.
    1. Corner table in sitting room, flat 4, Puttkamer.
    2. Chest drawers, sitting room, flat 1, Puttkamer
    3. Bedside cabinet, bedroom, flat 2, Puttkamer
    4. On bed in bedroom, flat 4, Puttkamer.
    5. Bedside cabinet, bedroom, flat 1, Puttkamer

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    No that's catalogue document is No 4, that's on the bed in flat 4, No 1 is on the table in the corner by the front door, flat 4 Screenshot

Here's the full list of document locations.
    1. Corner table in sitting room, flat 4, Puttkamer.
    2. Chest drawers, sitting room, flat 1, Puttkamer
    3. Bedside cabinet, bedroom, flat 2, Puttkamer
    4. On bed in bedroom, flat 4, Puttkamer.
    5. Bedside cabinet, bedroom, flat 1, Puttkamer
    That did it!!! I didnt see it in the dark! Thanks! I will finish the mission now!

I am stuck again down in the crypt

There is a locked door, static door, a wood gate and a few graves i cant open. What do i do now

Try bashing a few things with your bj, you'll be surprised as how many breakables there are down there
    Last edited by fortuni; 29th May 2024 at 07:47.

I am just at the beginning, but at the gate to the village are 1 guard and 2 that look like keepers, swords out and trying to pass through the locked gate. In a previous reload, the guard was dead on the ground (by them I assume). Who are they? Probably the murderers, but is it normal to be there, running around the gate? I knocked them out and the keepers are unfrobbable and indifferent to me there. If I unlock the gate, they run through it. What should I do? Let them leave?[ Leave them lying there? Are they necessary for something?

That shouldn't happen but guess leaving them alone will be ok. Your previous load was how things should have happened.

Spoiler: When you leave the station lobby, if you were quick enough you would have seen the 2 Keeper murders run to the right towards Wolfenstein village, being chased by a guard. The Guard in the guard post also joins the chase but both guards are killed by the Keepers along the pathway to the village, where you find their bodies once you have found the key for Wolfenstein gate.

So the 2 guards are not important and the 2 Keepers probably teleport out of the map a long time before you get to Wolfenstein village, so yes all should be ok to proceed, but it doesn't take too much time to restart might be best to do that.

Thank you for your quick answer! I will reload from before I knocked them out. Btw, the second guard is indeed dead somewhere on the road outside of the gate

This is a good mission, on par with the quality of the two Thief's Rising campaigns.

Stats:
    • Expert difficulty
    • 499 minutes
    • 9550 out of 10500 loot (90%)
    • 20 out of 20 Europa coins
    • 17 out of 15 secrets
    • 0 hints needed

For the first time in T3 fan missions:
    • Holy water and water arrows work similarly to T1 and T2.

Elements I liked:
    • Getting to play a T3 fan mission of this quality for the game's 20th anniversary is a treat.
    • I was able to complete the mission without hints on Expert difficulty. The mandatory secrets all felt fair. The loot goal was tough, but doable.
    • The mission structure is keyhunt, and it is a good one. After I picked up the trail, I never had any issues figuring out where I needed to go next.
    • The mission is generally well built and detailed.
    • The journals' length was adequate. Every single one was written well.
    • There are plenty of secret areas to discover. Journals contain suitable clues for them. Therefore, in contrast to many other missions, I was able to find the something hard to spot buttons that open hidden doors.
    • There is an unobtrusive callback to T2: You can find a shipment of masks intended for Lord Gervasius inside a train compartment.
    • I like that Reuben occasionally comments on events and points out important objects that can be interacted with. Too few fan missions use voice clips in this way.
    • The enemy density on Expert is high, but it made for a fun challenge. The tavern was especially challenging.
    • You can find a map of the village s streets, which is helpful.
    • NPCs at the train station sit down again after being alerted.
    • The toilet humor at the train station was surprisingly funny. I clicked on that stall door more often than I want to admit.
    • I appreciate soap bars in this mission don't have that unnatural glow of the standard T3 asset.

Could be improved:
    • A Wolfenstein/Thief crossover was not what I expected from a mission in the 20th Anniversary Contest. Reuben travels to the village of Wolfenstein in Germania? That didn't work for me, as did the cheesy voice acting of Heinrich or the extro with World War II soldiers and an image of B.J. Blazkowicz. On the other hand, what did work for me was the mission's plot line with a rogue Keeper faction plotting to resurrect Heinrich. The person in the cutscene lifted from Return to Castle Wolfenstein actually does look like a Keeper. Overall, I fell conflicted about the mission s setting and plot.
    • Lifting the Wolfenstein logo as well as a whole cutscene and voice clips from Return to Castle Wolfenstein is copyright infringement. I hope this won't result in the fan mission getting pulled from the web.
    • The mission would have been better without a janky arena battle at the end. I was running away from Heinrich and his minions for the duration of the fight. He was still able to hit me with his unavoidable wave attack.
    • It is nice that you can search drawers, but doing this over and over and over again in every house became tiresome. The majority of my playthrough was spent rifling through drawers and moving objects to check if there was hidden something beneath them.
    • If you open a drawer with a flashbomb inside and then close the drawer again, the flashbomb will float in the air outside the drawer.
    • I found a total of 78% loot at the train station and in the village. When I first reached the crypt, Reuben told me to go back to finish my other objectives first. I mistakenly assumed this includes the loot objective. I tried for a long time to get to 90% loot in the village. Luckily, I tried the crypt again when only the loot objective remained. This might trip up other players as well.
    • At first, the civilians at the train station would not react to me. But when I returned later on to find some more loot, most ran away screaming when they saw me. Their behavior seems inconsistent.
    • The first time I got the objective "Search Aramis...", the previously neutral guard next to his corpse turned hostile. This did not happen when I reloaded and approached the corpse from a different angle. The guard then merely acknowledged my presence when he saw me. But when he saw me a second time a bit later, he did turn hostile. His behavior seems inconsistent.
    • I noticed several areas with sound propagation issues: No sound could be heard when enemies were searching for me in the staff room or in the bathroom near it at the train station while I was in the hallway. When I entered a secret passage via a secret elevator in a storage cupboard, ambient sounds cut off until I reached the next area. Sound from inside Harrach Flat no. 2 does not propagate to the hallway in front of it.
    • The fireplace in the kitchen where things mysteriously go missing and one at Ascania's are missing an exhaust. The people living at these places would die from smoke inhalation.
    • After I knocked everyone out in the bar, the crowd sounds did not stop. This is a common issue with ambient sounds like this one in Thief fan missions.
    • If you crawl out from the tavern cellar and walk towards the west, you can see the map backdrop pop in and out of existence as you move forwards or backwards.
    • Two characters sending letters to each other are named Hansel and Gretel. That was a bit too on the nose.

Bugs:
    • Even with Run Speed Factor in SneakyTweaker at 1,00, it was easily possible to outrun the murderer in front of the train station and clear the gate to the village while it was still open. I got the message "No cheating! Set your movement speed to default." and was teleported back.
    • The two Keepers who killed the guard in front of the village did not react to my presence. For the duration of my playthrough, they remained frozen in place. I think something went wrong with the scripting there.
    • It is possible to break the mission if you read Aramis' note before the objective to meet up with him is canceled. In that case, "Objective Incomplete" is displayed on the screen. The objective will remain incomplete.
    • You can make as much noise as you want, the man on the sofa at Wittgenstein's will never start to investigate. He will comment on the noise though. Only when he sees you will he get up.
    • The woman sleeping in the bed in the upper floor bedroom at Wittgenstein's cannot be woken up by noise. She will comment on any noise you are making, but always will keep on sleeping. She will only get up when you touch her.

Question:
    • At Ascania's, I found a kitchen drawer key in one of the two north east dining room shelves. Can this key be used anywhere in the mission?

This mission was originally intended as the bonus mission for Thief’s Rising 2, but due to a few issues Adsk decided to replace this mission with the shooting range bonus mission instead, he hoped to release this as a stand alone mission one day and the T3 anniversary seemed an ideal opportunity.

We came across the Aramis note bug in beta testing and we thought it had been fixed

The Kitchen drawer key is used on the drawer under the beer key in the same room

Don’t touch sleeping women, you get arrested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast