TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: idea for next fan mission contest

idea for next fan mission contest

my idea is this title of contest would be "journey to" idea is to have a mission that has you set off on a journey long distance, an example can be journey to the center of the earth, where you start of surface can be any surface location, then you descend further and further into the earth coming across all kinds of area's to explore as you go deep and deeper into the earth

or you can have it where you go from a surface location and go by boat/train/etc, to go from place to place different locations is the key for the journey

also i would say it should be objective heavy for gameplay value also maybe different paths

i think thief 1/g/2 should be the fan mission options for contest

also a lot of mantling and rope/vine arrows should be used a good bit and physical puzzles, very little readable's for more tension

main plot of my idea is for a lot of traveling so you not in one place entire mission, like how bbb would make mission that kept going and going

if there is any question on my idea as i left out a lot, also please post your contest idea you have one contest idea per person please

I'd like to see a T2X contest. The tech has good potential, and the characters are at least on par with TDS.

This would be restricted to fan missions for T2X specifically. Per the T2X thieves' code, if you use their assets anywhere else, the IRL bluecoats will descend on you. Maybe in some way this was a smart decision, but as far as I know, not a single T2X fan mission was ever made.

Implied threats of litigation from fellow modders is hardly something I find endearing, but T2X definitely deserves a few FMs at some point (unless some technical problem prevents them being made).

sound good but i would think they would need permission to use assets, but forsure some good fan missions could be done with that theme

Quote Originally Posted by Hanover Aldercash View Post
    but as far as I know, not a single T2X fan mission was ever made.
    T2X is not a separate Thief game, it's a fan mission campaign. So making fan missions for it makes as little sense as doing so for Death's Cold Embrace or The Black Parade. You can of course make a T2X-inspired mission, but that's a different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    very little readable's for more tension
    I think that this contest idea is quite nice but I disagree with the "less readables" bit.

This makes only sense if you basically throw the plot out of the window completely and make a speedrunner mission.
    A journey to me is always also about exploration and not "fearfully running away from something" or "hastily reaching a goal".

Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    T2X is not a separate Thief game, it's a fan mission campaign.
    Semantics. I assume when the legal disclaimer says "you may create fan missions specifically for Thief2X using the Thief2X resources", it means you can make missions to be run by their custom executable, not by the other Thief games. As to whether it makes sense, I think the mechanical additions justify it. The campaigns you listed, while impressive, don't do nearly as much in that department, and I don't know of another fan mission that does.

I'd love to see a T1/TG or T2 contest with limited size (Or direction) as the only rule because those seem to produce very creative results. I'm also a fan of themed contests like a horror or holiday one.

I don't mind missions with a lot of readables when they are well written. One thing I've seen in some missions is a plethora of readables that add to the fun of the mission because they make references to other missions or authors either as an homage or just being humorous. Those kinds of readables may not contribute directly to figuring out a mission but they add a layer of complexity because you have to search through them and figure out what is and what isn't going to be useful information.

That all being said I still haven't gotten through all of the last contest (Not the TDS one).

when i mentioned readable i kinda was thinking no massive books to read single pages would be better

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    when i mentioned readable i kinda was thinking no massive books to read single pages would be better
    Yeah, short readables are better in most cases for sure if there are more than 2-3 in a mission. The ones that are filler readables that show text without going into a parchment or book when you frob them are best for quantity readables.

The Necromancer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanover Aldercash View Post
    Implied threats of litigation from fellow modders is hardly something I find endearing.
    This actually happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    This actually happened?
    I assume the point of that disclaimer was to imply the possibility, yes. Such things tend to do so. Isn't that their whole purpose?

Perhaps I'm being too bitter. And I can't think of a face-saving edit that doesn't suck. Oh well.
    Last edited by Hanover Aldercash; 10th Jun 2024 at 11:41.

A t2x contest would basically be an FM sharing assets (which already happens) and lore (which also already happens in the community, famous example of several of what ended up being the team behind The Black Parade used to make references to dates and characters from other FMs, mostly from Melan, before working together). This isn't an issue.

A journey Fm sounds great but many people would not like it simply because of the style. But I like it a lot!

Are we not coming up on the 25th anniversary of Thief II? Or, is there already a FM contest in the works for that?

I like the journey idea. My idea would be.. assassinations

Quote Originally Posted by RJS66 View Post
    Are we not coming up on the 25th anniversary of Thief II? Or, is there already a FM contest in the works for that?
    I don't recall seeing a contest posted. If anyone does create a contest it better involve crate stacking.

This journey idea sounds quite nice! I'm thinking missions like Into the Odd or Impious Pilgrimage. Both introduce a journey like gameplay where many different areas, themes and atmospheres were experienced. This journey theme might offer a good chance to build something yet unseen or rarely used environments in Thief fan missions.

The Necromancer
    Instead of a 25th anniversary Thief 2 contest...how about a Thief 2 Gold contest?

How about pausing for a year before the next contest is started? The last one is just completed, now let people play these missions (and the others we get in between) first, instead of hastily doing the next big thing.

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    How about pausing for a year before the next contest is started? The last one is just completed, now let people play these missions (and the others we get in between) first, instead of hastily doing the next big thing.
    We can finish 4 missions faster than for a year

But I still can agree with postponing the contests for some time but for a totally different reason: contests come with limitations and we have very few authors actively making new FMs. So it would be wise just to stop distracting FM authors and let them do what THEY want. That helps with motivation a lot

i am glad people like the journey idea, also nothing was ever said about running it anytime soon, i just feel a lot of contests just come out and a lot of people never had a chance to throw out a idea's

this board is just for idea's for a future contest

anyone else have idea's, i would like to see what others think

and yes i dont think the contest should be until we get new connal fan mission and i think the one where you throw the rock at the vent to get access, might be the same mission but i have a bad memory, all captain Davidson fault

I actually have something in mind I'd like to try later this year. Quake, Doom and some other games have been having regular jams where entrants are given one or more themes with a short build duration (say, between a week and a month) and then you go and create your map based on that. They're not competitions, so there's absolutely no pressure to create the best thing ever. I've been thinking about this for quite some time for Thief and I have a format that could work well. My only question is whether the community would be up for that.

Brethren
    We did do the Summer Speedbuild three years ago, and it turned out pretty decent (6 entries). Build time was 2 weeks, but there was no defined theme.

another idea i had "i am sure other have also" a prequal to thief 1 = anything from kathra-din era and before thief 1

also a post thief 3 to see how fam mission authors think happened after thief 3 ending

another idea i just had would be to make a fan mission about a npc from cannon lore weather from thief 1/g/2/3 and go deep on new lore/etc

i always wanted to see more about cutty as he died when we seen him in cragscleft, would be cool to more about him

also farcus needs more of a backstory/etc

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Just to clear the air on the T2X thing, one of the team leaders (Fett I believe) said in The Editor's Guild some years later that it was never the intention to require T2X assets to only be used in a T2X universe mission/campaign, and that the assets should be considered free to use like any others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast