TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: brush & obj limits: A dilemma (D2)

Metalhead

brush & obj limits: A dilemma (D2)

Here's the deal... after checking thru the posts on object & Brush limits in D2 I double checked my own FM. As it stands, around 30% complete, I have:
    1775 Terrain
    1537 Object
    85 Light
    412 Room

I'm almost done with the city portion, but I still have a castle to do that will be just as if not more massive... multiple levels, a large undergound area, etc. The way I have the layout planned, it would be fairly easy to split the concept into two FM's, one the city, one the castle. Any advice on how I should proceed? To split, or not to split, bleh, what a question. Oh, and YES I STILL need help with that !@#(*%!(*!!!! patrol conversation!

------------------
    "And the mustard seed didst fall in amongst weeds, and thorns, and brambles; and they didst choke it and sap it as it grew. Yea, indeed the seed didst become a mighty tree, twisted and misshapen by unrighteous cohorts, and now shades and protects even them."
    --The Book of the Raven

"Absolute Power"
    30% complete
    Coming Summer Y2K+1

belboz

Maximums
    room brushes 999
    terrain brushes 3999
    cells 65535
    objects 2399 (although is a good idea to stop at around 2340 due to objects created in game, like blood splats, zombie corpse bits, multiple arrows from the bowmen/women)
    objectives 30
    lights somewhere near 400 not sure on this one.

And other things like if you use a lot of torches you use up more objects as a torch consists of three objects not one.

[This message has been edited by belboz (edited April 06, 2001).]

Larson
    Well, brushes and objects (resize_obj_id_space) doesn't seem to have hardcoded limitations. There's four OM levels with over 4000 brushes (Ambush top it with 4353). I've 'always' thought it was the time indicator that was the ultimate limit (around 6500-6900?) of how many brushes you can use. So if you're using few objects and roombrushes, there's instead more room for brushes. But this is only a hypothesis.

- Larson

Sledge

Yeah, I believe I started getting errors when my time limit was at approx 6500. That resize_obj_id_space is great, but the more objects you have, the slower the mission gets, as I'm finding out with people playing my new mission, heh heh. Also, I believe the ambient objs limit is somewhere around 250 or a little less (at least that's when I started getting errors). Best advice is to probably split it in 2 and have both missions back to back.

------------------
    =======================
    T2X Level Design Lead

Cult of the Resurrection for Thief 1 and The Inverted Manse for Thief 2 now available for download

Metalhead

Yeah, that's what it's looking like I'll have to do, my counter is already at 3926 and I still have a fair amount of object to place in the city. Oh well, just means I can make the castle that much larger *evil grin*

------------------
    "And the mustard seed didst fall in amongst weeds, and thorns, and brambles; and they didst choke it and sap it as it grew. Yea, indeed the seed didst become a mighty tree, twisted and misshapen by unrighteous cohorts, and now shades and protects even them."
    --The Book of the Raven

"Absolute Power"
    30% complete
    Coming Summer Y2K+1

mr_luc

"A Walk in The Green" has 5000-odd terrain brushes. I have noticed some errors, however, and I'm having to cut back in some of the higher-detail areas, but it's still running pretty great for being that complex . . .

Keeper of Metal and Gold

I would also say split it, so you don't have to crunch so bad in the end

------------------
    - The Keep of Metal and Gold - Fan Missions, Upcoming FM's, Screens, More! (old address)
    - March 28 - NEW FM's "Gervy's Archery Tourny" & "Mystery Man", updated "Curse Carnival", 3 upcoms