TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discuss: RTCW is it Worth it?

I think you're being a bit harsh on the story. OK, the characters are a bit weak, but the story works to drive the game. The locations are nice and varied, and I thought the first trip through the crypt was pretty intimidating. The actual game mechanic is good, the weapons are generally well done, and the graphics are pretty. Definately worth getting unless you're expecting something new and revolutionary.

The bosses, however, are crap. More tedious circle-strafe fodder.

The usual crap women characters. I know this is WW2 military, and they're going to be thin on the ground anyway, but I'd rather have no women than the usual female assasins in strip-club gear. I am *so* *fucking* *tired* of that. I can't think of anything better calculated to make gamers look like nerdy 14-year-olds than that. Charlotte is sensibly dressed, and to my mind, far more attractive.

I would recommend RTCW to Thief players. Because after playing "The Bonehoard" and "Return To The Haunted Cathedral", the opportunity to fill zombies with high velocity bullets is very welcome.

Still Subjective

Good to know. I loved the undead in Thief and that was always part of the attraction of RTCW for me.
    When it drops in price I'll get it. I almost never buy games full price (expect Thief games).

TheWatcher

[quote]Originally posted by FiveEight:

I would recommend RTCW to Thief players. Because after playing "The Bonehoard" and "Return To The Haunted Cathedral", the opportunity to fill zombies with high velocity bullets is very welcome.

Bah, that's not how you play Bonehoard or RTC - it's possible to do bonehoard without killing a single zombie! Sneaking past them all is much more of a challenge.

My gripe with the story is that I never actually felt any real motivation from the story itself. The only thing that motivated me to complete a level was that I wanted to see what the next level was and hopefully it would be another sneaker.

To frustrated thief fans who have gotten tired of hiding from the guards then I recommend it. IF you can get it cheap like I did, it's not worth 30 or even 25. 20 maybe and at 15 it's a bargain.

It's a good game, theres nothing new, I wasn't expecting anything new and was pleasently suprised by how well done the sneaking element was used.

That said I'm playing it again trying to find all the secret areas and treasure I like games you can complete in an afternoon.

I still play Marc Ellis' Sweet Half Life when I've got nothing better to do. Theres a mod whos ending leaves you satisfied and wanting more.

Don't think RTCW deserves GOTY though.

That said Max Payne has picked up two GOTY awards and a BAFTA so far. *sigh*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12