TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Getting short

Brem_X_Jones

Getting short

Salutations

Am I the only one who's getting really itchy waiting for the SDK to emerge living-dead style from the ground?

Any suggestions what I can do in the meantime?

KG, PCG

Ringwraith

Post a couple more times to get rid of that icky New Member tag, maybe?

Write up some conversations or sketch out a basic level idea?

Just a few days left now...

Despot

...no. Why do you ask?

Hotdog! Only 3 more days...!

------------------
    Eschew obfuscation.</body></html>

[This message has been edited by Despot (edited September 19, 2000).]

Brem_X_Jones

Salut.

But the new member tag makes me look like a casually interested dilleante (sic) dabbling in the world rather than a genuinely in-love- with-all-this bloke.

Oh no. I've gone and blown it.

(Actually, I've already started the whole conversation writing. Overloaded on Fight Club, Clockwork Orange and the Authority to get into a suitably hardbitten style. Fun)

KG, PCG.

Brem_X_Jones

Salut.

Ok. *Now* I've blown it.

KG, PCG

Ringwraith

>(Actually, I've already started the whole conversation writing. Overloaded on Fight Club, Clockwork Orange and the Authority to get into a suitably hardbitten style. Fun)

Sounds good to me.

------------------
    To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.

Despot

Now what you do is register another nick.

------------------
    Eschew obfuscation.

StuntyExtreme

For starters , if you're bored you could always ...
    -start a new section in the mag devoted entirely to Thief , the development of Thief , and why nobody else makes games like Thief .
    -give me a job writing said section
    -have a compo for the best fan-written Deus Ex levels/mods , closing date 1st December , with the winner getting a pretty funky Christmas present as a prize ( appearing as an npc in DX2, a big flashy load of cash or even that nice computer you use to test and review stuff . Or the opportunity to superglue a big , itchy , wiry fake beard onto Ross's face .)
    -erm, write some reviews , you slimy slackers ! Drink wheato .

Or you could hire me to replace evil Kieron , as I'm also a Kieron , except I use the original Irish spelling , Ciaran . Decoy , y'see - while everyone else thinks he's occupied , your evil Kieron would then be free to hatch megalomaniacal plots to take over the office and be the evil Jean Luc Picard in control . I , of course , must be offered the role of Number One ... no , that doesn't sound right ... First Officer ...hmm, but then I'd have to have a beard too ( Riker without the beard is like Sisko with hair and no goatee )... is it all really worth it ? Maybe we should abandon our evil plots and be wise old men , sitting by the roadside ... " Come , let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings ... " Damn all these moral games , they're affecting my heartless ice cold condition - back to SOF for me : no gameplay , no fun ... but plenty of pure evil ! Yessssss

Brem_X_Jones

Salutations

Actually, I am thinking of something Deus Ex level compo-wise for the mag. Could be fun.

My other thought is that to make a level in the genuine style of Deus Ex, rather than just being a load of places to infiltrate, is going to be a grotesque amount of effort for a single person. And, equally, demanding too many skills in an individual for a solo-produced one to be exceptional. So, more than any other game, we're going to see small teams develop for levels rather than full mods. Thoughts anyone?

Equally, for those who are chosing to take the full pretentious route, which philosophers are you going to be ripping off?

KG

Despot

Hmm, dunno...other than Conversations (not a small thing, granted) I don't think there's much difference between the SDK and the tools that are used to make Thief FMs...

I think it's not so much a matter of design as it is a matter of testing and re-testing what you've created. Which suggests beta-testing guilds and such.

Perhaps there will be a certain level of specialization, one person concentrating on design, another on story/plot, another on modifications, etc. These people would provide help on request to anyone who asked. A bunch of free agents, if you will. Of course, someone would have to coordinate the efforts of these 'agents.'

We'll see what happens.

------------------
    Eschew obfuscation.

GotsyGold

Tracer Tong asked me to sit in this thread and report back to him if anyone starts writing a mod to take over the world..

Despot

Whoops...

Despot shoves something under his desk

------------------
    Eschew obfuscation.