TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nudity or No Nudity

JC R

Nudity or No Nudity

I've heard we won't have a parent guard gfeature and thus no nudity... Can anyone confirm this?

What would the temple's be w/o dancers?

Shadowcat

This won't do at all. There's only one logical course of action to be taken -- only by organising a nude protest outside Bethesda's offices can we let them know how we feel about this.

(And if it all goes horribly wrong, we still have the leverage of the threat of a repeat occurance; we can't lose!)

------------------
    --
    Shadowcat
    One of Many

real_oRGy

Aha! The nudity debate arrives at last. It's in response to pressure from walmart and the likes; those prurient conservative Americans don't mind wanton violence, but nudity..

Worth noting, though, the beast races are nude ;p

------------------
    Lead Designer,
    Thievery UT

Hidden_7

Something I've noticed, The western standard seems to have gone full circle since the 60s. Back then it was Violence BAD sexuality GOOD. now its Violence GOOD sexuality BAD. No nudity isn't that bad. It wa soooo pointlessely wanton in Daggerfall, like thered bee nude ppl lying around in hotels. It was stupid

------------------
    Dig?

-_-

I lie around in hotels nude. There's something wrong with that?

real_oRGy
    A lot of values have been inverted since the 60's, Hidden_7, by the conservative agenda - Big Business BAD Big Labor GOOD becomes inversed; nowadays, Civic spirit BAD, Greed GOOD, 4 legs BAD, 2 legs GOOD, etc etc..

------------------
    Lead Designer,
    Thievery UT

kathode

all your nudity are belong to us

------------------
    Webmaster: Destination: Morrowind
    You ain't nuthin' but a skank guar unless you read the FAQ!

Mark Jones

Just to let you know that the decision to have no nudity was something that was discussed from the start. The Walmarts of the world have already been mentioned and some felt that Daggerfall, and Battlespire, were gratuitiously "nude". (Sorry about that folks, I did a lot of T&A graphics for both of those games!) Morrowind has a much more, serious tone, for want of a better phrase.It was felt that nudity would just not be appropriate for a whole bunch of reasons. If a remember correctly, my initial 3D designs for the races were always clothed.

There's a HUGE thread dealing with this topic on the official Forum which I didn't get involved with.

------------------
    Mark Jones
    Freelance Artist
    Email: mjonesgraphics@erols.com

real_oRGy

Ah, thats more or less ok; my main worry is that it wouldn't turn out to be too cheesy or obtrusively obvious.. eg magic underwear and the like.

And the editor is always around, I would suppose..

I wonder though; if the characters always have a minimum amount of clothes; are those a skin texture or a cloth model attached to the skeleton that is scripted to be always there? Hmm..

------------------
    Lead Designer,
    Thievery UT

Mark Jones

Well, I can't really say. The diapers are top secret and...

No! We really wanted to get away from the almost sleazy reputation we had with the nudity in Daggerfall and Battlespire. Don't forget the unofficial motto of Battlespire was Blood, T*ts, and Steel. Perhaps not the kind of thing we wanted for the Dark Fantasy of Morrowind.

Personally I'm not bothered either way. Good grief, we had "The Sun" delevered to our house when I was a kid! (Obscure reference to British "newspaper", which only other Brits would undderstand)

------------------
    Mark Jones
    Freelance Artist

real_oRGy

UP YOURS, DELORS!

------------------
    Lead Designer,
    Thievery UT

Chud

Originally posted by Mark Jones:
    Personally I'm not bothered either way. Good grief, we had "The Sun" delevered to our house when I was a kid! (Obscure reference to British "newspaper", which only other Brits would undderstand)

Heh he - could have been worse it could have been 'The Sport'

------------------
    Chud
    'Tis True these shoes are mine...'

Rapture

Just rate the damn thing M for christ sakes. This is why I hate wal-mart, and i fortunately live in an area that wal-mart doesn't yet control. I am not bent over having nudity, but I really hate any form of censorship. That was funny in daggerfall that you could walk around in the nude. It would be even funnier if the npcs took notice.

Aragorn

[This message has been edited by Rapture (edited January 30, 2001).]

Mark Jones

Unfortunately if it was rated M, the Walmarts, Kmarts, and the like would not carry it, especially in the current political climate. And those stores account for the bulk of our sales. As much as I love making computer games I can't do it for free!

------------------
    Mark Jones
    Freelance Artist

[This message has been edited by Mark Jones (edited January 31, 2001).]

kathode

Damn you Sam Walton! Damn you to hell!

------------------
    Webmaster: Destination: Morrowind
    You ain't nuthin' but a skank guar unless you read the FAQ!

-_-

Is there any chance of a nude patch?

Mark Jones

Are we talking for Morrowind or for your personal use?

------------------
    Mark Jones
    Freelance Artist

[This message has been edited by Mark Jones (edited January 31, 2001).]

Rapture

Ummm, you guys have an ebx near you right? Babbage or Software etc?

Bruny

I remember a LOOONG time ago, reading a Daggerfall usenet group, people complaining about the nudity. One woman's subject line was simply "Why, Bethesda, why??". I remember this quite well. The arguments were along the lines of why Bethesda should include something that didn't enhance game play but only succeeded in offending people. Sadly, I think that is proper reasoning and Bethesda's decision not to include nudity is a good one.

Personally I really liked the nudity in Daggerfall. I felt vaguely nasty, barging into a room I shouldn't have. Like I was seeing a little slice of citizen's private lives. Made Daggerfall seem just a touch more real.

Of course I *do* wish they had had the decency to include a few nude *men* while they were at it.

Arondil

Whats wrng with an adult title anyway? Who ares about wlamart? Apart from the fact they don't seem to have made it north of the border yet (the one near Berwick of course).

If it fits into the story, there should be no problem.

Mark Jones

No Walmart/Kmart/etc = No Sales

No Sales = no Bethesda

No Bethesda = No TES

------------------
    Mark Jones
    Freelance Artist

cybernetic

hmm, i get that... and the decision has already been made? ...still, perhaps it should've been an option. you know, in the mainmenu, being able to turn it off, password protected, like they do in some countries replacing red blood with green...

but tell me one thing - there are still going to be some skin showing, right? ...girls in steel and leather tops, that sort of thing..?

Rapture

This is why I hate Walmart.

I'll stick with ebx, and Software ETC. Walmart is expensive as all hell anyways.

Mark Jones

Having said all this of course I did see a bunch of "M" games at Target recently.

Still no nudity in Morrowind though!

------------------
    Mark Jones
    Freelance Artist

Arondil

Actually just noticed Thief II has an M rating in the states, it has a 15 over here. If Walmart have a problem with stocking that it is their problem. Actually don't do it gratuitously, but if it does come up in the game, then you'd be daft for taking notice of one supermarket. There are other outl;ets. Besides, if it gets publicity for being somewhat contorversial it'll be a sure fire hit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast