TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Rose of Bantry Help

Rose of Bantry Help

I'm playing The Rose of Bantry on Expert. I've obtained all necessary items except the Holy Hammer of the "great priest". I entered what seems to be the guy's office (behind the chapel altar) and opened a blue chest, which contained a hammer, but (to my surprise) it wasn't the Holy Hammer.

Where is this Holy Hammer? I've combed the abbey and have been unable to find it.

Gah! This is what I get for playing an old (and apparently unpopular) fan mission.

And this happens not two days after I told Ivan Teague that I had always found help in the forums here! Oh, well.

I've never finished that particular mission due to that...curious...no-KO rule for women, and something similar concerning the novices. I'll return to it someday when my masochism meter is running low.

I saw your post and I didn't remember the mission well, so I've been replaying it. I now know why I didn't remember it. It's not much fun to play. I haven't been able to find the Sacred Hammer, either. It's really weird, because even a search of all the Thief forums and the archives doesn't show up anything about this mission. It must have been talked about before. I can't think of any place else to look, so I suppose we could try e-mailing the author, but the missions so old I don't believe there's much chance of getting an answer. Sorry.

Here you go, NoCokePepsi. I can't take credit for figuring it out, though. I posted on another forum and someone else remembered how to finish it. The sacred hammer is the one you find in the room at the front of the chapel. It is only labelled "hammer" and it doesn't go into your inventory. You just have to pick it up and carry it to the Inn and up to Cutty's room and the mission finishes. I just assumed that that hammer was a trick!

I suspected that the hammer in the blue chest must have been the hammer in question. That's why it puzzled me so. I did a search of this forum, TEG, ThiefGen and the ThiefGen archives but found no answer. On the 5th, I e-mailed the author Etienne Aubert, but have received no reply.

Thanks, Nightwalker! You're the best.

I'm surprised you didn't get an answer from the author. I e-mailed him and he got right back to me, but he wasn't specific enough and before I e-mailed him again, someone else came up with the answer for me. On to the next mission, huh?

Hmmm. I e-mailed him using the e-mail address in the text file but he ignored me. No matter. All is well.

Someone feel like emailing me the ZIP file of this FM? KoMaG doesn't have it, the Circle keeps timing out, and I'd like to give it a shot. I thought I had all the FMs, but haven't heard of this one...

jtraylor@21stcentury.net , if anyone wants to help me out.

[ October 09, 2001: Message edited by: Zaphod ]

Try this link, Zaphod: http://thief1.math.uh.edu/thief/missions/roseb.zip

(It's epithumia's site.)

Thiefmissions.com

I've been playing through all of the FMs in order of release date and over the weekend I finished Rose of Bantry. You have to be something of a masochist to play through the really old ones, but there are more than a few gems in there.
    I liked RoB quite a bit, actually. FM authors were just beginning to get away from boring square rooms and such, so for its time the architecture is really good. The gameplay is great as well, up to a point. There's plenty of good sneaking to be had, multiple solutions to some puzzles, and a couple of really good scenes. I was not bothered at all about not being able to knock out the servants; it just made me pay more attention to patrol routes than I normally do.

Unfortunately the mission breaks down at a couple of points where I just couldn't find any way to sneak around to get something done. I really don't like situations where you have let guards see you in order to get somewhere. Perhaps I was just missing something. In any case, it doesn't really detract from the level.
    - J<

IMO, Rose of Bantry was not without its good points, but the lack of ambient light was not a good thing; the no-blackjack rule for servants, novices and priests was nonsensical; and the Holy Hammer bit was not implemented properly.

(I'm trying to get around to finishing all of the FM's eventually, but I've started a few (mostly 1999-vintage) of such low quality that I just couldn't be bothered to finish them. )