TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great Tree

The Great Tree

Alright...call me an idiot but.....
    I can't even get up one level into that darn tree! I got up to one branch last night but was killed by a bugbeast, and now I can't figure out how I got up there?

Can anyone give me a hint, or at least an area to start?
    MUTNACSFAEBNHDBAIWAGA :D
    My siteThief Links & Downloads, Dewdrop Tribute, Ricknmel's Arcade, Cars, Music.......
    2 small fun FM's for downloading with a big one ("The Wheel") on its way.
    Sign my guestbook......all the cools taffers do.
    :

Taking a break

Navigation of the lower areas of the tree is the hardest part. It takes a lot of rope arrow skill, shooting more than one rope arrow with plan to jump from this one to that one to another one and finally to a branch. The mission can be done with only 1 rope arrow, but this is very difficult and unneccesary anyway.

How about a little less subtle clue

Should I be looking up around the mummy....or around the other side?

That would prolly get me going

btw- I really like the concept and the "architecture" so far.
    My siteThief Links & Downloads, Dewdrop Tribute, Ricknmel's Arcade, Cars, Music.......
    :

Now that looks like a sweet mission KoMaG! I'll have to try it...but what ever happened to the two towers?

NoCokePepsi

I'm playing "Great Tree" now. I started on highest difficulty, which was probably a mistake. I had a devil of a time getting up the tree, and I finally made it, but only after slaughtering every living thing on the ground!

Once up in the branches, I keep getting physically stuck, so that I can't move and have to reload! It feels a bit claustrophobic up in the branches, and I can't judge depth or the perpendicular, so it's hard for me to use the rope arrows.

It is an interesting experience, unlike any mission I've played yet. So far, I've managed to fight the baddies (and the Dark engine) and get the special item at the top, but I could only get a little more than half of the fruits required, and I couldn't find a way out of the level anyway.
    Spoiler:
    I beat away all the boards in the lower house and found the tunnel. But after I climbed down all those ladders the gate at the bottom was not even frobbable, and I could find no mechanism. Wanna give me a clue, KoMaG?

This is awesome! I've gotten three fruit so far and this is one of the funnest things I've played for quite some time. I'll talk more later. There's one bug where I kept getting stuck and once I actually fell through the solid brush and hit the ground (YIKES) I'll tell you where it was later.

YEEHAR! On my way to download the mission with glee now!

Taking a break

Originally posted by Sharga:
    There's one bug where I kept getting stuck and once I actually fell through the solid brush and hit the ground (YIKES) I'll tell you where it was later.

I've recently discovered this little bug myself, on the south side of lower area of the tree, in a section of "leaves". As far as getting stuck elsewhere, it's usually possible to wiggle every which way which jumping and ducking and standing up and going diagonal, etc... and get yourself out.

For NoCokePepsi:
    Spoiler:
    That area is the exit location. You can't acually open the grate, similar to the TG Mage towers exit. You just need to have the other objectives complete, and then go down there and you'll get the success.avi

About The Two Towers, that mission has been on the back burners for a while, but I still plan to finish and release it eventually. For rnm:

Spoiler:
    There are quite a few ways to get up the tree, but the "easiest" way to get started is to shoot a rope arrow or two above and to the left of the large branch that has many vines hanging below it. Run and jump to the vine which is near the spiderwebbed body, jump from vine to vine to get over closer to where your rope arrow is hanging down, jump to the rope arrow, climb up some, and then jump up on top of that same large branch. From there you can go quite a number of ways

I've finished this mission on the expert level but not with all the fruit, so I know its possible to do.

At one point I managed to fall all the way down from the top of the tree to the bottom, and not die, then I got killed by a frog.

Thanks Keeper...I'll give 'er another try tonight.
    :

I just finished it on Normal! SWEEEEET!
    A great concept. I've always wanted something where the main point was using your athletic abilities and here it is! The hardest part is getting to the second tree house thingie. The first one and the very very top one are hard but not as hard as the second one.

Spoiler:
    That ladder thats sortof tilted against the tree, right by the frogbeast and below that hole in the 2nd floor by the crate with the mines in it is impossible to climb on.

I have a serious bug though! And I don't think its a problem with this fm because the same thing happened to me in Geller's pride. Whenever I grab the amount of loot required it says the mission is completed, even if it isn't. It seems to think that getting the loot is the only goal. This doesn't happen on any other goals either. It makes things a lot harder because I have to resist nabbing all those many many fruits at the top or else I won't have the satisfaction of getting the final fruit. Anyone know how to solve this error? It's really annoying and it also means that I can't get more loot than the required.

BTW The archetecture was awesome! That must have been some real work!

Weird bug indeed, Sharga. I would remember one of my betatesters also having it on Geller, but I was never able to reproduce it. Hmm, you could try another quick run on Geller and see if the bug crops up again, or if it's a random thing.
    Responsible for overseeing Studio Trophis projects, Richard's designs are influenced by the best of Japanese console gaming.

I'll try when I get the time. (really busy today)
    I hope its just something within these two fms thats causing it and its not something that will pop up now in every single fm I play. This has never happened before and Geller's Pride is that last thing I played before TGT.
    Sharga crosses his fingers.

Taking a break

Well, neither I nor any of my beta-testers experiences that bug, Sharga, so I dunno... Good luck tracking it down though.

While on the topic I'd also like to add how much I love your scrols/ journals. This one and the ones in spider caves were a great atmosphere advancement. You just need to place more in your next fm.

Spoiler:
    After reading the journal of the guard I deeply regretted throwing his zombie parts off the edge of the tree for the spiders below to feast upon.

KoMaG,

Well, I finally completed this one on Expert. Very nice!

I usually start everything on Expert, unless the docs give a good reason to play some other difficulty level (such as differing goals, a la The Inverted Manse).

But I could barely get off the ground with all the beasties running around! So, I played on Normal in order to have a chance to see what was where.

You are correct - getting off the ground was the hardest part. Once in the tree the "creature danger" is much reduced (thank God!).

Anyway, on Normal, I found 20 fruits, so I knew I could find enough for Expert, and I played it again.

I found I prefer going up just to the right of the start position. Over near the frog beast standing guard under the tree. It takes me two rope arrows - but I can retrieve them both as I go up by "jump-frobbing" the rope arrow; thus retrieving it as I jump away from it.

From that location, I can get up and then work clockwise and counter-clockwise, and the end up in the middle.

On Expert, I looked around more, and managed to find 23 fruits. I did't look on the ground at all, so if any of the seven are there, I missed them. Otherwise, I really searched that tree hard, and still there are seven left to find!

Anyway, great job! A very unique level.

Cheers,
    Martek

Taking a break

Thanks for that feedback, it's nice to read stuff like that as an FM author, kind of rewarding and makes me feel like the time creating the mission was more worth it

Anyway, there are no fruits on the ground, sorry. 23 is very good though, as I really tried to place them is some extremely tough to find areas, not to mention tough to reach, but always very possible

Yes, a well done and original mission like this should be commended

I found the problem is withing my computer! I started V Oblisk and the same error comes up, finish mission when I get required loot. It only occures in thief 1 though and not T2...strange. I'll just have to reload thief 1 after my fm is released.

using goal_final_n, 1 on the goal number that completes the mission is supposed to stop the level ending when you get all the loot. as the mission will only end when the goal with the final varible attacted to it is the last one completed.

...just to remark the appreciation that this kind of mission deserves, IMO ...

Rope Arrows are my favorite weapon, and any FM author that doesn't put at least one instance for a need for one in their mission is a detraction indeed. Way to go KoMaG, you managed to create a mission I've been wanting for a long time. One where you rope arrow almost the whole time, and you made it interesting.

Very original and challenging. I liked it a lot!

Enjoyed this one alot! It was a bit challenging with the jumps.
    Too much coffees this mornin,
    I'm twitchy as Hell.

Originally posted by Martek:
    On Expert, I looked around more, and managed to find 23 fruits.
    Well, I've climbed around a bit more, in between playing other levels and games, and I've managed to find two more.

One was "inside" the tree (actually not far from the lowest treehouse) and did not require a rope, and the other was on an outside edge that needed two ropes.

I kind of circled around the edge from where I found one of these two, via rope arrows, and ended up getting stuck where I could not find a way to get back out or keep going, without falling and getting injured. But I have not given up yet on this hard spot! Will try it more later...

Cheers,
    Martek

I'm gonna keep looking...

Cheers,
    Martek

Taking a break

I call that dedication!

call me a super dummy but i can't find the "potion stuff"......i am being foolish........is this monitor on?? what the!!!...
    anyway...any hint would be awesome!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast