TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: T2 FM: Dyers' Eve (October 19, 2001)

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

Glad you found it. Too many of us get complacent, or just don't THINK thiefy enough and get in a rush. With the result -or a similar one- you have experienced.

Good luck with the rest of the mission. Dyers is one of my favorites. I replay it now and then to hone my Ghosting skill, and to try to get through the mission with minimal equipment usage.

It's FUN!

Is ghosting possible in this mission? Blowing the wall up makes a bunch of noise, but maybe cause it's an objective you can ignore it?

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Peanuckle View Post
    Is ghosting possible in this mission? Blowing the wall up makes a bunch of noise, but maybe cause it's an objective you can ignore it?
    A literal ghost is not because you need to "Blowup" a few things. But most of it can be done without alerting, or being discovered by the AI if you are careful.

The one objective in the garden is not possible without an explosion, and later in one of the upper rooms you need to be faster than lightening or kill a whole gang of spectres to move on.

But you can sneak through most of it un-heard or seen if you are super patient.

Archivist
    It seems that the last time I've played Dyers' Eve (2004) I never properly finished the mission. This week I found the relic of Father Conrad, destroyed the elemental shield, and jumped through the portal .

Finished on Hard difficulty, in 1 hour, with 1645/1805 loot and 1/2 secrets found.

Very cool mission. Spooky, interesting objectives, and some nice undead effects. A bit hard, but enough equipment around to deal with the zombie infestation.
    A pity Metalhead is no longer around, and this campaign is left unfinished.

When i try to go down in the basement the game crash,
    it does not matter which side i choose. Frustrating
    Anyone who has any ideas? Nice game, really want to
    finish it
    It is the same in some games, it just wont let me to some
    places.

I have win XP, AMD dualcore 6000+ and Nvidia 8600 GTS by the way.

*EDIT*
    It was the same thing with "Garrets Young Years 2" when i climbed
    up the rope arrow and squeezed through the hole in the wall, it was a
    spider int that room, then down to the abandoned quarter or what
    it was called. When i jumped to that hole, the game crashed
    countless of times. But then it just worked, i jumped in and rushed
    to the other side and down.

I have tried to rename the EP.crf file but that didnt work.
    Last edited by Beltzer; 6th Sep 2009 at 09:12.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltzer View Post
    When i try to go down in the basement the game crash. I have tried to rename the EP.crf file but that didnt work.
    thief will sometimes do this for no reason and the only fix most of us do is to do a fresh install of thief, apply all the patches and then make a backup of the game folder so we dont have to go through all that again.

Also do you have vertical sync turn on in your gfx cards control panel..?

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    thief will sometimes do this for no reason and the only fix most of us do is to do a fresh install of thief, apply all the patches and then make a backup of the game folder so we dont have to go through all that again.

Also do you have vertical sync turn on in your gfx cards control panel..?
    Ok. i managed to finish the game. It worked when i restarted the mission
    and ran directly to the basement, no crash. Thief is weird sometimes
    I will look for that vertical sync you mentioned. Thanks for the tips.

*EDIT*
    On Nvidia control panel it says "Use the 3D application setting". Is that good?
    Or shall i change to "Force off" or "Force on"?
    Last edited by Beltzer; 7th Sep 2009 at 05:52.

Replaying and need some help.
    Where IS that portal and how do I get there.
    I got all other objectives just now Father Conrad's skull. I think I must get onto the roof (been there) but how do I get all the way up that tower?

I'm missing something here. Hope someone can help.

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

There is a staircase that you use. Don't remember exactly at the moment, but it is a maze of passages up to the final level.

I seem to remember that you go through a room on the middle level that has some statues in it.

I just might fire it up to recheck.

Gloria, do you have all 4 Talismans? You also need a key that one of the haunts was wearing. It unlocks a door that leads into the room where you use the talismans. I believe that gives you access to the tower.

Thanks, I'm already opened the tower with the four talisman keys. I went all the way up, found the secret room .... and now what? Smashed all the haunts (one female haunt is especially going after me ) ....

I worked all evening on an urnbear, for a family who have lost their father, so I need some Thieftime now. Please spoil it out to me.

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............

So you've found Father Conrad's skull? In that same room there's a scroll with instructions on how to open the portal which is in the room at the top of the tower.

Linda, I've read the instructions well. My problem is getting up to that room on top of the tower.

There's no real trick to it, Gloria. There are sliding panels that block the doorways and as you approach them they slide open and you can go through. The only one that's hard to see is in a room filled with a mist. The room at the top is the room where you activate the portal.

Thanks, I wonder why I missed that room .... ...

Flying higher now, see where it leads me to ...

OK, I am stuck! I found all of the talismans and put them in the slots, but though I heard a door open...I cannot find it!

Where is the door that opens after placing the talismans?

The one where the talismans is.... is unfrobbaable!

I heard a door open after placing the talismans, but have NO idea where it is!

Can someone tell me where this stupid door is?

Well I DID find THIS tidbit of info:

Lotta fun this one. But some minor considerations (bugs). DO NOT KILL ALL THE ZOMBIES ON THE BALCONY LEVEL. Learned that one the hard way.

spoiler:
    If you do, the door to the Talisman statues locks and cannot be opened.

I wonder if he ever fixed that bug? That was stupid! (And YES...I also am finding out the hard way.)

Archivist
    Having re-played "Bloodsport" recently it was time to re-experience it's sequel, Dyers' Eve, which takes place shortly after the events in Bloodsport. Here's a review I wrote.

After Garrett's first encounter with the Brotherhood of the Raven at their arena compound, he succesfully escaped and now finds himself in an unknown hamlet. Frustrated about his experiences, Garrett is determined to find out the truth behind this Brotherhood and settle the score. A local businessman gives him a proposition; he will tell him where to find more information about the brotherhood if Garrett retrieves an old nevagation glob from him, located in a ancient haunted temple nearby. Garrett agrees with these terms, buys some equipment and heads off towards this temple to satisfy his curiosity.

Dyers' Eve is a medium-sized horror and adventure FM, that takes places within in and around a temple, resembling a wrecked mansion. The undead roaming the place, some sort of magical wave of energy stretches out above the temple into the sky, and the desolate environment gives the level a mysterious and sinister feel. As with Bloodsport the three difficulty settings (Normal, Hard en Nuckin' Futs!) deliver a welcome difference in gameplay. The highest difficulty provides limitated equipment and less loot in the loadout screen, extra objectives and more foes, resulting in a more difficult and rewarding gameplay experience. Re-playing this with the 1.19 patch installed, I didn't encounter any new bugs other than undead clipping/getting stuck into walls on some occasions. Surprisingly, a tome texture glitch that was present in 1.18 is fixed in the update.

I really liked the various ways of entering the temple and the way the mission progresses; what initially seems like a pretty straightforward job turns a bit more complicated once the player reads a keeper scroll that turns into a search for talismans and leads the player towards the source of the undead infestation. There's a nice mix of objectives to complete that can aren't that easy to complete with all the undead walking around (head the warning that they aren't like any Garrett faced before ) while the main objective itself also requires some thinking and usage of special objects you come across. To aid the player, usefull tips can be acquired through the scattered writings in the game (among them revealing an effective explosive way of getting rid of the undead ). While helpful, the writings also provides more background by telling about the events that took place during the disaster that struck the place.

What makes this mission rather unique is the implementation of inventive custom design elements, making it stand above the average FM of it's time . Bricks can be removed from a wall to create a entrance into the fortress, a couple of items providing some special purposes to aid you in your goals, and many creepy new voices by Wynne and YcatX are made for the haunts and zombies. Especially the female zombie has some excellent new comments ("I'll come for you" and "Will you give me a kissy?" ) which, being creepy as well as hilarious deserve to be more widely used as a substitute. Furthermore, the fire arrows light up and cast sparks when drawing your bow, haunts fall apart in a pile of bones and weaponry once killed, and there are more of these destinctive aspects that make Dyers' Eve special. Great stuff!

In terms of atmosphere, the mission is more convinving than Bloodsport, partly due to of the haunted element, which is a lot more darker and present this time, but also because of the design of the temple. Furniture is trashed, walls and ceilings contain large holes, mushrooms grow in the wooden floors and the basement area is completely submerged. The view of neglect and disrepair is apparant and convincing. Meanwhile the sole use of stock textures ensure the original Thief mission is preserved while capturing the old and abandoned feel of the place very nicely. Nice job!

Dyers' Eve is a clear improvement over it's prequel. It contains better usage of textures, a more clear level to explore and less flaws/bugs to frustrate the game. Meanwhile it surprises once again with a strong selection of original design elements (like custom skins and voices) that really add to the gameplay and make this game stand above the average FM of it's time. In terms of atmosphere Metalhead's 2nd FM is a more darker and solid experience, thanks to the undead, the magical element and the design of the level as a whole. Unfortunately there's no briefing movie this time and little secrets are present (although the Bin Laden niche is quite a discovery). The ending is a bit contradicting (telling the player to return to the start while it isn't the way to end the mission) and the loot requirement can be a bit hard to acquire on expert, but overall Dyers' Eve is a strong and well-designed medium-sized horror FM with a nice mix of objectives to accomplish that takes Garrett further into the progressing story. Adventurous types who don't mind dancing with the dead will no doubt entertain themselves, just like I did .
    Dyers' Eve doesn't provide Garrett with the information he hoped to find, making the mission more of an interlude in this ongoing campaign, but my guess is more information (more than Garrett ever feared, according to the keeper) will be provided in the upcoming next part, whenever it'll be ready. Can't wait .

Statistics
    Difficulty: Nucking' Futs
    Time: 2 hours
    Loot: 1745 / 1805
    Secrets: 2 out of 2

EDIT: the same review with added screenshots has been posted in the FM Review and Discussion Thread here.

PS: Metalhead, one of the in-game scrolls (plot1.str) reveals the portal was supposed to open to the Basilica in Chesley. I assume that's the basilica you're creating right now, and where the next part will take place? And what exactly went wrong when the Brotherhood performed the ritual that caused the undead infestation (if Garrett can do it why can't they)? I guess it's another dimension the undead spawned from?

Buglist & other suggestions:
    - the objective "get back to where you started" should better be blocked (marked red) once the objective "Break the seal and open the portal" is triggered. Currently, the player might return to the starting point before realizing he's supposed to jump through the portal.
    - Suggestion: create a new objective once you've broke the portals' seal, something like "Time to seek your destiny and find out where this portal leads to."
    - When the player jumps through the portal without finising all his objectives first, he falls all the way through the teleportal and crashes, which is a bit silly (as if the portal wouldn't work when Garrett hasn't found all the loot ).
    Solution: it should be made impossible or discouraged to jump through the portal beforehand (maybe Garrett saying "Guess I should finish here first" once the player opened the portal).

- no 'objective complete' notification is visible once Garrett jumps through the portal.
    - the drowned captain of the guard, wearing a key, has the skin of a regular guard. Why would he resemble a normal guard while the guards that got posessed have a green skin with a Brotherhood symbol. It's more realistic when this guard has a similar skin (the same or a modified one, as he was the captain after all).
    - the water talisman leaves behind a trail of blue smoke once you've picked it up and carry it with you. Don't know if this is intended.
    - a fire arrow is placed right near the cave entrance that has to be cleared, which is a bit obvious. Better to move that particular fire arrow elsewhere, like on top of one of the pedestrals next to Azrael's shrine.
    - the scroll that explains how to open the portal (conrad2.str) can't be picked up. It would be useful to the player when he can take it with him to consult at the scene itself.
    - the wooden platform at the front of the building, before the main entrance, isn't connected to the pillars that are supposed to support it.
    - the door knob on the double doors to enter the temple isn't attached properly.
    - for future reference, you might want to implement an objective in a future mission for the Navigation Globe to be handed to your contact in the village in a later mission, as right now Garrett takes it with him through the portal.
    - the male zombies also say "thank youuu..." once they explode while this sound should only be used by the female zombies.
    - the Thief Enhancement Pack by Nameless Voice contains a pretty good replacement texture for the blue wall light, among other textures and object replacements that might look good.
    Last edited by The Phantom; 16th Nov 2012 at 09:40. Reason: typo

Thanx so much for the feedback. Issues have been noted, still chugging along here. Those two columns always drove me nuts. For some reason, connecting them put the poly count over. That will be the very first thing fixed when I open it up in 1.19 dromed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    PS: Metalhead, one of the in-game scrolls (plot1.str) reveals the portal was supposed to open to the Basilica in Chesley. I assume that's the basilica you're creating right now, and where the next part will take place? And what exactly went wrong when the Brotherhood performed the ritual that caused the undead infestation (if Garrett can do it why can't they)? I guess it's another dimension the undead spawned from?
    Hmm what can I reveal here?
    They never actually CLOSED it (its good manners to close a portal when one is done using it, gets a bit drafty & all), just stuck a hastily made seal over it. Whoever was left on this side stuck "sorry, we're haunted" sign on the temple grounds gate (note to self: add a gatehouse). That was pretty much the end of the Brotherhoods presence in that little town until... later (apparently the locals don't take kindly to almost releasing an undead plague upon them). I'll touch on that if I can get a briefing made up for the release. Yes that portal leads to the Basilica (and other places), the first half or so of the next mission will get into what the bloody L happened all those years ago, the repercussions in the "present," and why it's all about to get a lot worse...

oh, and Benny's horrible luck with women

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archivist
    You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead
    Hmm what can I reveal here?
    They never actually CLOSED it (its good manners to close a portal when one is done using it, gets a bit drafty & all), just stuck a hastily made seal over it. Whoever was left on this side stuck "sorry, we're haunted" sign on the temple grounds gate (note to self: add a gatehouse). That was pretty much the end of the Brotherhoods presence in that little town until... later (apparently the locals don't take kindly to almost releasing an undead plague upon them). I'll touch on that if I can get a briefing made up for the release. Yes that portal leads to the Basilica (and other places), the first half or so of the next mission will get into what the bloody L happened all those years ago, the repercussions in the "present," and why it's all about to get a lot worse...

oh, and Benny's horrible luck with women
    Sounds good, can't wait Thanks for answering.

Great map to sneak around and avoid all these zombies. I figured out a good portion but had to come here to get some tips to finish off the mission. Zombie voice work is always welcome and added to this mission for sure.

Time: 1hr 26 min
    Loot: 1785/1805
    PP: 01/02
    Secrets: 02/02

I just replayed this awesome mission!! Man where did Metalhead go this author was way ahead of their time???

Quote Originally Posted by pwl View Post
    I just replayed this awesome mission!! Man where did Metalhead go this author was way ahead of their time???
    Last time he was here in 2013, he was announcing an upcoming mission. Then he vanished. Hope he's alright

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    Last time he was here in 2013, he was announcing an upcoming mission. Then he vanished. Hope he's alright
    Heh… wow… just, wow…
    I’m absolutely floored people are still playing what I cooked up and being entertained by it, twenty years after I did so.

Also, I feel really, really old.

But mind=blown right now.

Sadly, I don’t realistically think there’ll be anything else Thief-related rattling forth from my old noggin, if I was ahead of my time before (grin), I am now utterly out of time, for a great many things, unless a very large wad of cash suddenly falls into my lap so I can retire while I still have a few marbles left.

How do I end this mission on normal? I opened the portal and when I get upstairs and into the room I keep falling down and the mission just ends.
    The objectives say to get back where I started, but nothing happens there either

Yes this is how the mission finishes, The Phantom reported this issue in post #192 and Metalhead said he intended to fix it, but he's no longer around, so have reported this on Shadowbox along with other issues reported.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678