TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM - The Karrassinian Threat (Oct 23rd, 2001)

Yup, I'm playing on Expert. Thanks a lot, everybody I'm sure I'll have more questions later on

-Burt

The Karrasinian Threat

ok how in all taffingdom do i get into the city?

It changes on different difficulty settings. You're probably not playing on Normal, because that's an easy one to figure out. On Hard and Expert, go through the doors to the
    spoiler:
    east end and cross the moat. You'll see a stone building up against the city wall. Break the side window then shoot an arrow at the button on the opposite wall. (It's in shadow so it's a bit hard to see, but it's there). That opens a gate to your right, then you come to another place where you push a button to open a second gate, then look for a hole in the ground behind a bush.

how am i supposed to cross the moat? is there a way to activate the draw bridge?

You can just walk along the far side and go through a couple of doors. Eventually, down at the far end, there's a grassy section that you can walk across.

erf if i werent so blind i might be able to see that 2nd door , shame on me lol

more help needed

where is layne? ?? and is there a way to get past those hammers in the pub ?

I'm afraid I don't remember the pub bit, though I don't recall having any problems with it. You don't actually find Layne (not alive), but you do find his workshop. It's very close to the spot where you climb out of the water when you first enter the city. There's a hallway with a door that has a lockbox beside it. That's his place. On Normal you start with the key, on Hard and Expert you have to go find it. It's
    spoiler:
    down in the basement cell of the jail, lying on the floor. It's pretty hard to spot, so a flare is useful.

Ok, I have about 1300 loot and can't for the life of me find 200 more. I've already been through the window next to the sheriff's station. I have deactivated both pumps, and I also can't find a way to get to a boat. I can't find the key to open the door in the northern section of the city (where disappearances have been happening), and I get the feeling the loot I need is probably in there. Can someone help me?

Ok, I found the necklace in the museum that I missed before, but I still can't find a boat to escape on. I saw the one in the beginning, but I don't know how to get there.

You don't actually have to get into the enclosure with the boat, just walk up beside the window that you can see it through and the mission ends. You can also climb down into the moat and walk through a tunnel at the far end. There's a rather beat-up looking boat in the cave at the end, and I believe the mission will also end there.

how do i get into the jail basement? theres a grating over floor and when i go upstairs (light put out) and step off the stairs the guards automatically start lookin for me

There's a lever on the wall just by the floor grate that slides it open.

lol i just found it after getting one of the guard to chase me and when he gave up i blackjacked him (this method seems to be the only way i can get into guard areas, separate guards have the mchase me and when they give up - KAPOW! lol i hate the dont kill guards objective lol

went thru 4 flares ,still no key lol must be chameleoned in there
    im trying again

haha got it!

ok nigtwalker i need your help again
    spoiler:
    i got in laynes house found the headless mech on the floor and knocked down the wall of crates, i frobbed the torch in the lil alcove but i cant find what it did

Now I have a problem here Too

I can't believe it, but now I'm having a major problem in this mission. Rather than start my own thread, I'm bringing this one to the top, so I can ask about advice here.

I'm playing on easy. I can't find Layne or any info about him either. Where is Layne? Is he the headless man in his work shop?

Nightwalker, above you mention a bed in Laynes room, what bed? There's no bed in his work shop, does Layne have another place some where? I also read there's a hidden switch in Laynes work shop on the 2nd floor. I can't find it, where on the 2nd floor?

I'm beginning to think I'm having a major system problem here. Either that or I keep missing things you all are telling me about. I still never found the Oroboris in Cromsblade, or a way into the room with the sword. I'm going to try that again. But before I conclude I'm having a system problem, can someone try and help me with this mission.

ya never find layne.
    in his workshop there;s a staircase, go up it and
    spoiler:
    on the second floor theres a whol wall of boxes, uses your sword on them and frob the torch in side the alcove. then go down the stairs and look on the side of the staircase

go thru here and youll find the bedroom

BadArm,

You seem to be burning through fan missions at a pretty fast rate. As a piece of general playing advice, I recommend exploring a mission's area at a more leisurely pace to get a feel for the lay of the land before launching into the objectives. Also, in Thief, more than in any other game I know, the devil's in the details so I examine most every room and object carefully.

Now as for KT, the headless corpse is Layne. To find the bedroom in his workshop, go upstairs to the big stack of crates against the wall. You can't pick them up but you can nudge them out of the way. When you've frobbed the trigger in that room, go back downstairs to find the bedroom.

Thanks guys. I see that once again I have to do something I would have never thought of doing, because in neither T1 or T2 did you ever have to do things like this. I'm referring to bashing doors down in Croms Blade, and now having to bash crates in KT. In general, whenever I get a new game it takes me a while to figure out what's possible and what isn't. Usually, once I realize this things go much better. For example, in a game like EF if a door doesn't open up on it's own, or with an easy to find remote switch, you're not supposed to go through it. Then you get more complex games, such as Deus Ex and Thief, where it's harder to figure out, but if a door or object doesn't highlight, then you're not supposed to do anything with it. I'm now seeing that this doesn't hold true for Thief FMs. I'll remember this for other missions.

Yeah, I am burning through FMs rather quickly. I have a lot of time on my hands these days. The other thing is I've been starting new missions while waiting for answers to problems I've encountered. I am a little worried about running out of FMs soon and then having nothing new to do, so I'll try and slow down. But I like moving fast. Thanks anyway.

I still need to find the train to get home in Croms Blade. I'm going to go look for that, and then I'll look for the bedroom in Layne's work shop. I also still need to go into the Cathedral. Actually, I may not really need to go in there on easy mode, but since I can, I want to.

Ahh, finally finished this one too. Thanks again for all the help. Now, I woder if I should tackle Calendra's Legacy again or move on. Hmm, it's a tough decision.

The Karrassinian Threat - Expert

I hate it when this happens. I browsed over other threads for this FM and couldn't find any reference to my problem.

I know as soon as I pick up the cultivator, bedlam occurs outside and I have to maneuver through black skulls and mecho-beasts. So I want to have all objectives ticked off before I make that move.

Everything is done except for the loot quota!! I've got 1307/1692 and I need at least 1500. Now I thought I did a good job with all the sneaky merchandise,
    spoiler:
    including the ring in the flower pot and the loot in the submerged crypt
    but apparently thats not enough. If there's a loot list out there, could someone direct me. Other than that, perhaps a suggestion for one of the trickier spots. I also found the loot
    spoiler:
    beside the building outside the jail, on the second floor. And it took me forever to sneak up there

How about
    spoiler:
    the loot in the abandoned houses near the cathedral at the end of the canal, the hotel, the prostitutes' rooms, or the City Council building?

Those areas I think I covered pretty thoroughly. But I did find a tiny something that put me over the objective.

spoiler:
    A necklace around the statue of the mechanist over in the museum. Damn......that's not the first time I missed loot that way.

Getting out?

Hello!

I'm near the end of the mission and now I'd love some help getting back to the boat. Playing on hard (I likes me blackjackin'!):

spoiler:
    In the very beginning, I found the hidden boat by the skeleton, and there's the other boat in the water filled room, also near the beginning. I triggered the trap in the cathedral (WAY cool, btw!), then went out to the courtyard and escaped through the wood covered hole back into the water. I let it take me to the waterfall, went up the ladder, then roped up to the pagan house. Up the ladder is nothing, just a view of nasties waiting to get me. Down the other ladder is a dead guard and a message, and an unpickable door (the same as the other side, I assume).

Do I have to work my way all the way back to the beginning or is there another exit that I'm missing?

Nevermind:

spoiler:
    I just ran like a screaming freak until I could jump into the original canal and lose the death maskers and the spiders on my tail. Then creep to the first pump station and out the back door to the moat and the boat

Thanks!
    -M
    Last edited by Melissa; 29th Dec 2002 at 23:57.
    Your mileage may vary

OK, no one seems to be having my problem yet, so I guess I gave up too easily...And to think I was proud of myself for getting this far with no help!

spoiler:
    I read some other threads and see that Layne has no head so I can't talk to him or anything...but where is this guy with no head?? Here's kind of where I am: I'm playing on Hard. I've gotten some loot, grabbed the cultivator, and watched the ensuing melee with glee. Then I pulled two floating Mech-haunts out of the air so they could rest in relative peace on terra firma. There are patrols around the other side of the bridge, so I know I must avoid them, but I can't think of where else to go. I don't have a loot quota anymore, and now I'm allowed to kill people, I guess, but I'm kind of foundering. Where's this dude?
    Interrogation Technologist,
    Clan Larcenio Haul
    "We Haul Assets"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast