TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM - The Karrassinian Threat (Oct 23rd, 2001)

Ghost

Sigh.

[Folks]

Once again, I seem to be doing things all topsy-turvy. Spoilering up....

spoiler:
    I haven't found Layne or even his workshop, I haven't found out anything about the Karrassinian threat... and I also haven't found anyplace to gear up; I'm stuck with two water arrows and one rope arrow, which I just lost because I couldn't get it out of the first, overhanging beam after I jumped onto the nearby roof.

But I have just triggered the cathedral stuff by stealing the Regurgitator, or whatever it is. Explosions, door of the cathedral opens, I see dead Hams and a skull-faced guy wandering around (and combat bots that seem neither to notice nor care about the carnage).

Oh -- I thought I was sort of sneaking in there, but lights lit up and Karras's voice told me that since I was a thief, I should just "steal away" (ho ho... don't I remember that from the last episode of Thief II? ) Did I alert something, or is that scripted?

In any case, I have many previous saves, as usual: should I reload and do something else first, before I trigger the stuff above? Is there someplace I can get some equipment? I feel so naked....

Dafydd

I'd definitely suggest starting from an earlier save and doing LOTS of exploring before you trigger the invasion, Dafydd. There's lots to find, though I don't remember any specifics about where you pick up equipment in this mission.

Ghost

The thing is...

[Nightwalker]

...that I didn't just start; I've been playing this mission more than two hours now; I have almost 1000 loot -- but I'm just floundering around. I don't have any real idea where Layne is, or where I can get weapons. And my aimless wandering hasn't produced much. It took me this long just to find a way into the west side.

I was hoping somebody would say, go ahead and reload and head in this direction until you see thus and so; Layne is down these stairs or up top that roof or whatever. Or, wow, you're just around the corner from a weapons shop: head west (or east or south or north) and pick open a door that looks like a giant smiley face, or somesuchlike.

It's only a couple of years ago... whatever happened to Nightwalker's much vaunted idetic memory?

Dafydd

@Dafydd
    spoiler:
    It's the locked door near where you enter the city, where you overhear the archer conversation from the OM "Life Of The Party". The key can be found in the cell at the police station.

LOL! I just thought you didn't want spoilers as yet, dafydd. salass00 has steered you in the right direction. In the jail
    spoiler:
    make sure you take a torch down into the underground jail cell as the key is quite hard to see. It's lying on the ground.

Ive got a question, too.

spoiler:
    Where can I find Layne?

He's in his rooms, which are very close to where you mantle out of the water after you've entered the city proper. There's a courtyard right across from the spot where you pop up. The door with the lockbox beside it in the hallway off of that courtyard is his. If you're playing on Normal, you'll have the key in your inventory. If not, then you have to go find it. It's
    spoiler:
    in the basement cell, in the jail, lying on the floor.

Wow. Wot a great, well thought out mission!!!!!
    I give this a 9.5. So much town exploring, great atmosphere.....

what the frig????????

is this about the karrasaian threat mission or a new one???
    thats pretty old i'd say and i woulndt call it the greatist.
    I have no need for a signature

Originally posted by john-the-begger
    what the frig????????

is this about the karrasaian threat mission or a new one???
    thats pretty old i'd say and i woulndt call it the greatist.
    Yes, I'm getting confused as well!
    Stoked with fuel,
    We do the Builder's work.

It's about the original Karrassinian Threat mission. Old threads get pulled up every once in a while to have new questions posted, which is fine. It was a fun mission and I quite enjoyed it myself!

Karrassinian threat

I haven't played this for a while and am playing on normal. Even so it's pretty tough.
    I'm at sea staition 1 next to a financial manager's office, and looking at a gate which doesn't seem to open. There is a
    spoiler:
    dead blue coat on the other side and another one whose heard me, but I can't see him and he can't see me. Where is he? Can you get through the gate?

Also
    spoiler:
    I seem to remember a ghost girl who gave me a key or something but I can't find her. Is she through the metal door in the sealed off quarter? And if so where's the key to that door?

Sorry there's so many questions but they've been building up over the weekend! It's a great game but just about the hardest I can recall even on easy. Unless I'm just missing obvious stuff. Took me ages to get into the Cathedral but that was only because I was looking in the wrong damn direction! Speaking of which
    spoiler:
    There is a high balcony opposite the cathedral but still a part of the complex. Can you get up there and if so how? I was convinced that was the way in.

Ok never mind about the gate, just managed to get to the other side. It was me that knocked the bluecoat out!
    spoiler:
    Seen that many freaky things going on I thought he was another victim.

Stuck on Expert level for Karrassinian Threat

Sorry to dig up such an old corn but I'm stuck on Expert level for Karrassinian Threat, can't find "Sea Defence Station #2" to finish the mission. Any points? Hints preferred over spoilers but it's driving me nuts, I have the Pump Station Key but can't find the Hydro Station despite it being there on the map... TIA! Cheers, Wink

I'm not absolutely sure this is Station 2 but it's the one I had trouble finding the first time I played. Did you find some tombstones in a flooded room? You need to climb onto one (You stand facing the thin edge and you can mantle onto it.) and from there shoot a rope arrow into the ceiling and jump over to the red-lighted windows.

Thanks! That was it.

Thanks, that was that. I kept wondering why that area was there but I didn't know you could
    spoiler:
    mantle on to a tombstone.
    Really didn't make sense nor go with the flow of the game, overall I thought it was a 6/10 because there wasn't a lot of logic nor flow around the puzzles/objectives, it was just hard to find stuff. Too bad, because the storyline on Expert is just great! Cheers, Wink

Karrassinian Threat

if anyone has beat this level and remembers it, I could surely use some help....

I went to Layne's lab, but I don't see him (I saw some guy disappear on the top floor and the dead guy on the bottom floor). Under the stairs I see an outline for what looks like a secret passage. How would I open that to complete the first objective (to find Layne)?

thanks

thanks, but I don't think those are helping me....
    spoiler:

I've been in Layne's workshop, and I see the dead body (which I'll presume is Layne), but I have no idea where to go to in order to complete the objective (of finding Layne). I see an outline for what looks like a secret door under the stairs, but I do not know how to access it. I read on the other threads you have to go to his bed and look beside it or something, and I'm guessing the bed is on the other side of that secret door.

any help would be appreciated

IIRC on the upper floor, there is a wall of crates and behind those crates there is a torch lever.

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post
    IIRC on the upper floor, there is a wall of crates and behind those crates there is a torch lever.

ah I see....I was under the assumption that since they weren't highlighed, I couldn't move them

thanks a lot

Still search around the bed to complete another objective.

Sting

Quote Originally Posted by Stingm View Post
    Still search around the bed to complete another objective.

Sting

I tried jumping on the bed and searching all around it but I couldn't find anything

you could just tell me what's there if you'd like and save me the trouble if I can't find it

Look for a scroll tucked down behind the bed.

Archivist
    Lovely mission ! Can't believe I've never played it until now.

First thing caughting my attention is the Sea Defence System, that could've been an episode in John D's Deep Trouble saga. It's convincingly executed, with the outer wall, the outlook at the higher water level outside, and the city that lies significantly lower then the water level. It reminds me how I live here in Holland . Finding my way into the city (on Expert) was tough and took me a while to figure out, but the idea is inventive.

The Karrassinian Threat does very well in building up tension throughout the game, and realizing the threat it speaks off. You witness city guards getting slaughtered in dark alleys, mysterious attackers running away from a crime scene, all creating a pretty sinister atmosphere. The contents of the scroll, near the remains of the stranded mechanist in a cave, is a clear harbinger of things to come.
    Storywise it doesn't dissapoint either. An associate of Garrett, Layne, asks him to travel to the city of Karrassinia in order to shed a light on the dissapearances of fellow inventors. During the playthrough, there are several plot turns, enough writings to shed a light on the strange happenings, and there's a spectacular ending. Neverthesless, some questions remain. Who killed the keeper in the hotel room, and what did Layne intended to use the cultivator for?

The use of original T2 conversations, is an indication that the mission is quite old, most likely explained by the lack of custom voice actors at the time and the eagerness of the authors to use original content in their FM. It's rather charming, and even hilarious on occasion, when the player notices that some conversations have a different conclusion then we're used to .
    Overall, there are little negative remarks to bring forward. The city is well constructed (with the wards, moats and texturing), there are several well-hidden localities to discover (with the submerged building sheltering a pagan family as my favorite), and the AI is remarkably intelligent and diverse in behaviour: guards turn against the player not until he draws a weapon, and a guard loses the ability to (un)lock a door once the player nicks his key . In addition there's also the broad variety of ambient tracks, that change every time the player enters another part of the city, the diversity in difficulty settings, and the crude AI battles near the end.

If there should be some criticism it's for the fact that the city factions won't leave you unharmed when battling the intruders, and that some equipment is scarce. But these are only small nitpicks for a FM that, in my opinion, scores good on virtually all gameplay elements. Entertaining from start to finish and an oldie that shouldn't be missed by anyone Damn fine work, pbucko!
    Sadly another example of a talented author who retired too early from dromEd.

Statistics
    Difficulty: Expert
    Time: 2 hrs, 9 min and 16 sec
    Loot: 1672 out of 1692.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast