TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: A Smuggler's Request (1 Jun, 2001)

DOH!@ I hate it when you do that nightwalker, I've been stuck for over an hour trying to figure out
    Spoiler:
    sequence of those damn buttons on the ship
    It's driving me nuts! Not to mention searching for 1/2 hr on the boards for the same info and then find this!! Only taffing. This is an awesome mission! My wife is ready to kill me tho, been playing for 5 hours so far on Hard. *sigh*
    PS You and KoMag do a great job moderating too!! [Thumbs Up!]

Thanks, sap'em! I really enjoy hanging around here. If you're enjoying Smuggler, make sure you give RiCh's new mission, The Art of Thievery, a try when you're finished. It's fantastic! (But also huge, so maybe wait until your wife forgives you for this time. )

ok, finished the taffing thing last night. Had 1 shield left after all the falling damage. RiCh(sp?) this thing is monstrously huge!, yet packed with fun. My stats look like this:

5hrs 29 min 51 sec
    3937 out of 4372
    Pockets Picked 10 out of 23, Locks Picked 24
    Secrets 9 out of 11 (Found one not listed in Nightwalker's earlier post)

Backstabs 1 (A Zombie) Inn killed 0 Others 4 (I thought I counted 5)
    Dam Dealt: 152 Dam taken 29 Healing 14
    Iron beasts destroyed: 1 Dis 0 Bodies Disc by enemies 5

Three WOW moments and a spoiler
    First when

Spoiler:
    the lightning went off right as I was about to blackjack the guard by the sewer hole

Also the
    Spoiler:
    thunder as you are climbing the rigging on the ship almost made me fall off

Spoiler:
    When the zombies in the corpse room jumped up and climbed the table the mech book is on and I couldn't mantle fast enough up to the ledge

the other secret I found.
    Spoiler:
    in the lower city behind the guard with the storage key is a bag of loot on the roof, mantle up to the all at the top of the stairs and walk/climb the roofs to that point, Its tricky, but it can be done.

This mission is my new all time favorite. Great Job RiCh! [Thumbs Up!]

Nighwalker,
    Already downloaded the Art of Thievery, if its anything like Smuggler, it will be a hit with me. TGFDSL(Thank God for DSL!)
    he he

Thanks, Nightwalker. My problem was I had not found the torture chamber. It's amazing where a rope arrow will get you. I do have one observation. The order in which I had to push the buttons on the ship did not correspond to the order written on the scroll. Fortunately, it wasn't much of a problem to overcome. Great mission! Kudos to RiCh!

I knew about that secret, sap'em. There are 11 secrets listed, but one of them doesn't register, so the best you can actually get in your stats is 10 Where did you see the list that didn't include that one? I did a search, but the only post I could find that listed secrets was for the easiest difficulty, which doesn't have as many secrets. You can't even access the area the one you mentioned is in on that difficulty. Can you remember which thread it was that you found? If you can, I'll go fix it.

Nightwalker,

It was posted Dec 7, 2001 a.m. search Smuggler's request the post is called secrets (damn my memory) I reread it and I think you were referring to the easy level. So to me on that one. he he.

Smuggler's Request - Aargh!

Not that it's a hard mission or anything, but howcome the thunder is triggered to whenever I'm sneaking past loads of big, heavily-armed guys? No fair!

[Joke]

Diabolical, isn't it? The first time it happened to me I just about jumped right out of my chair!

Ah, well, I completed it okay.

Joke is that you don't get your equipment until you've done everything.

You're only near the end if you're playing on Normal. Try it on Hard(you won't regret it) and you get a much larger mission. Then you really need that equipment, because you've still got a lot of territory to cover.

So I see...

I expect that a certain speech clip from Casing/Masks does get used somewhere then? I guessed it when I saw the captain's name.

Smuggler's request: stuck!

In regards to the above fan mission:

Spoiler:
    I am stuck in the crypt with the zombie at the door and the book on the table that says how he is working on a potion to make the dead speak. I jumped down to the bottom by using the platforms but now i can't get back up! The door near the zombie does not light up.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, jeff999!

Spoiler:
    The only way out is to get back to the top. It can be a little difficult, but you can do it. I seem to remember there is a desk or a table down at the end. Climb up on it, then jump/mantle back up onto the platform on the side where you entered. I seem to remember it's easier to get up onto. Then you can make the jump across to the one on the other side. You may have to try a few times, so don't give up too easily. Other than that, if you have a save just before that, you can always just skip going down in there. You'll just miss one secret and a little loot.

Building access in "A Smuggler's Request?"

I just finished RiCh's excellent first mission on Hard and I was unable to gain entrance to one building in the area between the bridge and the ship. There is a locked door which I couldn't open directly south of the guard with the Storage Room key and I was able to explore most of the building's perimeter with no luck. The building looks too big to be just a red herring but perhaps it can't be accessed on Hard setting?

Thanks

You've got it right! That building is only accessible on Expert.

Just have discovered (for myself at least) that design of major part of this mission is copy of first level of Heretic II ("Docks")

That's not news. I don't think calling it a "copy" is fair, though. You can't just pick it up and drop it into Thief. He started Smuggler's Request just to see if he could build something and used the part you're referring to as a starting place. It worked well and was fun, so he expanded it enormously and we ended up with a fantastic Thief level that required many, many hours of work to create. RiCh's new Fm was inspired by Undying, as noted in his read-me for Art of Thievery and is truly a work of art. I, for one, am very grateful he decided to try his hand at Dromed. I hope something else inspires him to start another one soon.

Well, I used a word "copy" without any offence. And it was really funny for me to play a level which I've never played before and to know what I'll see around next corner

Sadly, but somehow I didn't like the level. Probably because it's quite linear and not too atmospheric for me. I like more mystical, frightening and opened levels like CC or Highrock or Lampfire Hills.

Evidence room in Smuggler's Request

How do I get in there if that lever is disabled? I went onto that courtyard balcony and went into that room and opened all the lockers but I can't get into the room. Thanks for any help!

Have you been inside of the executioner's (the brass plate on the door reads "Headchopper Brown" or something like it, the exact name escapes me, but it's the door framed in skulls) bedroom? I can't recall all the steps but you'll know what to do once you're in. If not, then I'm sure Nightwalker will be along shorly to supply the details.

Norman Druart is right. Here's more detail, if you need it. Beware, though, it contains exact directions, so don't look unless you're ready for a total spoiler.

Spoiler:
    You have to go to the back of the jail and through the door there. This door leads to a hallway and on the left there is a door surrounded by skulls. Have you been in there? Frob one of the skulls above the bed to open a secret passageway, then, at the end of the passageway, there is a ladder to climb. This is the part most people miss. When you get to the top of the ladder, turn around and look behind you and you'll see a passageway you can jump over to. That's where you need to go.

[ January 27, 2002: Message edited by: Nightwalker ]

Thanks for the help! I'm now on the ship and I've found a few red buttons that seem to make a faint noise of a door opening somewhere but I can't find what has changed after I leave the room and frantically look around. Thanks in advance for any further help!

Those buttons are timed so you have to have a route planned out in advance, so you can take the shortest route from one to the next. You should also have found a scroll down in the torture room area that gives you the order you need to push them in.

I hit all the buttons but nothing seems to have changed. I went to "the front of the ship" and found nothing unusual. I even went under the ship but the "door" there is still shut. What do I need to look for? Thanks!

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast