TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 FM - The Art of Thievery (Dec. 8, 2001)

[quote]The Lord of the Manor walks out of the Captain's room and comes back later. He has a key you need, as well.

Do I REALLY need to get it off him? He's kinda scary... Not because he's carrying a mace, but because I can't bonk him and I've run out of gas arrows. One other thing:

Spoiler:
    I've gotten through the attic of the other building, found the chest and the note. I can't see the switch I'm supposed to hit. I tried the two guages on his desk, but my accuracy isn't really pinpoint. I don't think it's the book, and the other object looks like glasses. I can't see a switch anywhere in the room.

Stauf
    PS- I already have the lord's key. I had to go back and check, only to find that I had snuck up on him for no reason. Then he turned and swung his mace at me when he heard me kick myself.

[ January 06, 2002: Message edited by: Stauf ]

Hi, Stauf. Who knew kicking yourself could hurt so much, right? I'm doing a fair bit of that myself right now. I'm attempting to ghost this mission! It's really well set up for it, but I still find myself doing some really stupid things.

Spoiler:
    The button in the study is really hard to see. You have to climb up onto the windowledge in the attic, then lean to your right a bit and you should be able to see a pedestal with an angel on top of it to the left of the desk in the study. It's also a little closer to the window than the desk is. The button is on the back of the pedestal.

OK, another little problem. I actually saw the button shortly after I posted. No problem. I got the sword, I know where to go to get the last painting (It's just a pain, I died trying before, I'm saving it.) All I need to do is pick at least 4 pockets (Probably on the way out) and find two secrets. TWO!!! AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!! Two secrets. For cryin' out loud...... How about that list Nightwalker?

Stauf

I sent the list right after your first post asking for it, Stauf. Didn't you get it??? I'll resend it, anyway. E-mail me when you get it please, so I know it arrived this time.

OK, I finished the mission!!!! I had to blackjack some people, and I'm about 300 or so short on loot. Now that I think about it, I think I know what I missed, but I am NOT going in there for it. (spiderbots) And I got all the secrets, without alerting the guards. Except maybe the ones who are now unconcious. But it checked off, so I'm happy. BUT I WAS 3 POCKETS SHORT ON THE PICK-POCKET BONUS!!! I guess they have to be awake when you take their stuff All in all, a GREAT mission. A GOLD HAMMER!!!

Stauf

Congratulations, Stauf! Good job. :-)
    Spoiler:
    There's nothing valuable in the spiderbot room on Expert. The vase in there is a fake on this difficulty level. There's a note telling you that in the upper security control room.

The people DO have to be awake for a pickpocket to count.

Another question about the Art of Thievery

I played through the Art of Thievery on Easy about three weeks ago. Now I am starting to replay it on hard. I went in through the third floor window of the Angel Room. Now, on Easy the lights were off, but on Hard they were not so I got a different look at the room. I noticed a door in one of the corners that I hadn't gone over to on Easy. This room was the Shrine for the Lord's Late Wife. Because I never looked over there and because I was a little short of treasure at the end on Easy, I don't know if this little room is just something I missed or if it is a little extra for the Hard difficulty. I'd like to know the answer to that, please, but I am also wondering if anyone has compiled a list of the things that change at each difficulty level. I don't mean guards or things like that, just new rooms and secrets. If someone has compiled such a list could someone tell me where to find it? Or post it here? I'd really appreciate it.

The shrine is there on Easy, you must have just missed it. There are 3 new secrets on Hard and 4 more than that on Expert. A lot of things change on each difficulty setting in this mission, which gives it a very high replay value, if you start on the easiest setting. I can't imagine why you would want a list, as that would sort of spoil things. The locations of the paintings change each time, some key placements change and, on Hard, you will gain access to the North Wing/church area. I don't believe any other rooms are added between Easy and Hard, that I can recall. When you're all done playing, if you want a list of secrets, let me know and I'll e-mail them to you, but I wouldn't advise getting them ahead of time. It would spoil the fun of looking for them. Most of the loot is out in the open, but because it such a huge mansion, you just have to make sure you don't miss any little rooms or alcoves. Have fun on Hard and then try it on Expert. There are some added rooms, when you play on the hardest difficulty, that are quite interesting.

Thanks, Nightwalker. I just wanted a list so that I could check it occasionally to see if something I was looking at was new or if I just missed it the first time. I don't need to know where the secrets are since I did manage to get them all on Easy I should be able to tell which ones are new. I can't believe I missed an entire room with a DOOR!

I'm playing Art on GhOsT, and I'm wondering:
    Spoiler:
    The Tool box key I found on the glass house balcony, where does it go? There's a button in the ceiling of an open fire, but pressing it doesn't seem to do much. What's it for?

Spoiler:
    The tool box key has no use. It wasn't supposed to be there, but, ahem, a stupid betatester (me) missed seeing it. As for the button, if you're in the room I think you're in, look for two more buttons in the same room.

Yet another Art of Thievery Question

Has anyone developed a good strategy for clearing the North Wing Church on Hard? I've been at it for 30 minutes of real time and still haven't done it. I tried a number of things and got desperate, so I attempted to get into the rafters via ra. I fell into one of the outer "balconies" on the second floor and decided that was a good and lucky position. I took out the fires, hopped down, and took out the guy at the pulpit. I'm slowly sneaking up on the three remaining people (I called it quits because the sun came out). The whole process will porbably end up taking me 45-55 minutes of real time. That just seems way too long. Just wondering how everyone else did it.

You can go in the upper doors or the lower doors and, if you're a good shot, take out the fires from behind the back pew. Then you can sneak all the way to front and also pick all the pockets without getting caught.

I did it this way when I was ghosting the mission and it worked very well. You do have to move slowly, though, as the floors are too noisy to move quickly. It didn't take me too long, though.

I entered via the lower doors, and used water arrows to shoot out the flames by the priest at the front. Then I went up to the balcony on the left by the front, then used a rope arrow to get into the rafters. I then shot a moss arrow onto the front inside of the wheel in the window (so that the centre moss patch fell inside, leaving three patches inside the wheel and two patches on the floor behind the priest - I prefer to be economical).
    Using a rope arrow I climbed as low as I dared before my visibility gem got too bright, and then jumped onto the moss patch I'd created in the wheel. I had to jump through the light from the window, so it got a few comments about "does the boiler hiss?" or "didst that shadow move?", but I had landed in a shadow and just crouched until they all shut up again.

Once I'd got the elemental tablet, I crouched and sort of sidled up the inside of the wheel (there isn't room behind the priest to drop straight down) and landed to his right in a deep shadow, on the moss I'd shot earlier. I then worked my way slowly past all the people on the ground floor, picking pockets as I went. Once I'd got back to the exit, I went back up into the rafters again and retrieved the rope arrow I'd used to get into the wheel.

Result: 5-10 mins work, one moss arrow and two water arrows lost (all rope arrows used were retrieved again).

It did take me about three attempts to figure out the right spot to shoot to get into the rafters (too close to the wall and there isn't enough space above the rafter for me to climb up, but if I shoot too far into the room the rope falls past the edge of the balcony and I can't reach it)

However, I did that in Ghost, not in Hard. Maybe the AI positions are different on the other setting.

Thanks, both of you. invisible_sneak: that is exactly what I was trying to do when I "fell" and decided to capitalize on it. I think that I'll make a better effort to do it that way when I replay on Expert. Although I have used two water arrows and one moss arrow and don't intend to use more I don't think I could replicate my fall or be as patient as I have been. If I don't end a mission with at least half of my starting equipment left I somehow feel that I have failed -- wouldn't it be great if we could carry equipment over from mission to mission in T3!?

Art of Thievery

Hello, I'm also playing the Art of Thievery. I hope this is a case of me missing something obvious. I have all the Talismans (Earth, Air Fire, and Water) and have been to the pooh-bahs office and the area beneath it. Having done all this I can't get to the area
    Spoiler:
    behind the grandfather clock in the stairwell. Is there something you have to do in the area beneath the office?
    I'm playing on expert and am ghosting it (so far). I really hope this isn't a glitch, I don't think I have the patience to ghost this again. Ah well, I guess I should go out and visit the real world again. I'll see you taffers tomorrow.

You're okay and as far as I know, there are no glitches in this one. There is something you have to do down in the area beneath the study.

Spoiler:
    In each little "niche" down there, go in and cyle the right talisman for that element up in your inventory. If you stand close to the end, a symbol will flash up on the wall. Go into each one and try all of them, if you're not sure which is which. They only work in a certain order, so you may have to go into several before you get a symbol. Make sure you mark them down, and the order that you see them in, because you need both the order and the symbol to figure out the code in the "elemental" room by the clock. Once you've been shown all 4 symbols, the elemental door by the clock should be open.

Congratulations on doing so well with your ghosting attempt, too. I've done it myself and I know it's quite difficult. [Thumbs Up!]

Thanks for the response Nightwalker. I've been busy and haven't had time to check for responses (or play FMs) in the last couple of weeks. I should have thought to try that though. Ah well silly me.

Art of Thievery, Odd

I made it to the Captain's Bedroom and something odd happened. He rotates around and looks right at me, luckily I am in shadow. I scrolled through my inventory and throw a flashbomb at him. It doesn't appear to go off, but he does the little dazed dance so I run up and sap' em. He's sleeping, but I get to pick up the flashbomb I threw earlier. A Bug? I start looking at the room and notice the light switch next to the door - DOH.

I seem to have lost my ID from earlier

I don't really care, but it seems my old public name is no longer available to me with the changes in the forum. I have been away for about a month, so maybe its just a time thing. In any event, It looks like I have a lot of FM's to catch up on. Nightwalker, Thanks for all the spoiler in the Art of Thievery. (Hits the print button on the notepad document file he's compiled.) Probably will still take me another 4 hours to complete that mission, but its worth it.

That's a very strange sounding but, cbnicholson! I've been able to pick up arrows before after they've been used. Not broadheads, etc., but gas arrows, water arrows etc., but never flashbombs. I've usually found that something like that doesn't reoccur when I go back through a mission again, but I'm not a techie, so I have no idea what makes it occur in the first place. I'm glad you were able to find the help you needed in this thread.

BANNED
    Holy .........smokes - awesome awesome AWESOME FM dude. Right up there with T7C, Calendra's Cistern, Inverted Manse. I just hope that the Thief III team played this one to get more ideas off you. Great stuff.

Just a couple of observations

I believe I have made it back to the Lord's room area (finally). Just a couple of observations. 1. I was unable to get to the roof of the mansion despite my best efforts. and 2. Spoiler ahead (really need to reread how to post spoilers with the changes) Is it possible at all to break the window next to the painting of Kharas? I tried , but no luck with broadheads, sap, or sword. I jumped down to the window and wound up like a bug under glass, couldn't move, with the guard doing a search, had to quickload.

I'm not sure which window you mean, but I don't think the windows are breakable in this mission, though I'm not sure.

As for the spoiler code, the only way I've found to do it is the old way I used before they installed the spoiler button. Type: [font style="color:white;background-color:white"] type the text here that you want to hide [/font] Replace the [ and] with < and > to make it work.

Art of Thievery

Has anyone gotten all of the loot for this mission? I'm ghosting through it on expert, and I've completed all objectives, but I'd like to be thorough before I go.

spoiler:
    I've already done the "Indiana Jones" thing in the Shrine Room, and I discovered that "special" blue vase in the 2nd floor hallway South of the Garden Courtyard.

Anything else that doesn't look like loot/involves a puzzle/is really non-obvious?

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast