TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 FM - The Art of Thievery (Dec. 8, 2001)

I've gotten all the loot, though it took a bit of looking, so if you want a loot list, e-mail me and I'll type one up for you. The thing I took the longest to find was:
    spoiler:
    in the room with the 2 people standing in front of a fireplace that you can go through to get to the glasshouse. There is a dark vase in a dark corner to the right of the fireplace. It's up on a ledge that runs around the top of the room and extremely difficult to see with the lights out.

Most of the loot is out in the open, but it's scattered everywhere, so you could just be missing a room or two in your search. It's easy enough to do in this huge mansion.

A question pertaining to the Art of Theivery

In that truly excellent mission, the Art of Thievery, I am have achieved every objective except one. I have not found all the secrets. I have found most of them but not all. Would some mind posting a list of the general room locations of the secrets (ex. for the secret in the garden, just say One in Garden, and if there are more then two secerets in a single place please say so) I am truly grateful to the person that would do this, Thank You.

I would prefer not to post them here, but if you e-mail me and tell what difficulty level you are playing on, I'll be glad to send you a list of rooms that you need to search for the secrets.

Art of thievery Paintings

I have almost finished this exelent FM on Ghost level.
    I got the sword and one of the painting(the eye) but i can't seem to find the other two paintings.
    could someone please help.
    thanks

I don't want to spoil this for you unnecessarily so I'm going to ask you first if you've read the book in the Lord's bedroom that gives you the locations of the paintings and, secondly, if you've found the North Wing key, yet, as you require it to find one of the paintings. If you have both of those, then below I've listed the painting locations. (I don't remember the names of each, so I've listed all 3.)

Paintings -

spoiler:
    1. In the rafters up above the Lord's bedroom.
    2. In the rafters above the library with the small robot patrolling the main floor.
    3. In the North wing, above the big front doors.

Thanks Nightwalker
    For the fast reply
    i have allready been in the lord bedroom and have read the book.
    I searched the lord bedroom and the area outside it and i see no picture the same goes for the libarary with the
    Little machine that patrols it.
    In the book it is said that the lord hid the pictures with the help of the air elemental so i thought that i need the air talisman to see them but i have the air talisman and i still can't see them i don't understand.

spoiler:
    He only used the powers of the air talisman to lift them. You need to rop arrow up into the ceiling beams above the stairs outside the Lord's room, and then get over on top of the ceiling of his room. There's a painting there.

It's the same for the one in the library. You have to rope arrow up into the beams up by the ceiling and look around up there.

Thanks

art of thievery

i am playing this (on normal), and can't seem to get into the lord's bedroom (even though i've found it).

i have his beads, two of the paintings, and blackjacked pretty much every guard i've come across while inside.

any ideas? i'd prefer a hint rather than the actual solution if possible. failing that, just gimme the directions

mani

I can't think of a hint, I'm afraid, because there's no trick to it. You said you'd found the bedroom, right?? The door unlocks with your lockpicks.

nah i'm definitely sure i tried that. hmm... i'll try it again and let you know.

thanks for responding

whoops, my bad. that's gotta be the dopiest mistake hehe.

oh well i've completed it on normal now

i think it is now time for calendra's legacy

thanks,
    mani

Trouble Saving?

I haven't seen anyone else with this problem, but just in case:

I just started up The Art of Thievery (having finished Inverted Manse) and once the mission begins (and I've waiting for the sound to start), if I hit Escape to go to the menu and click Save, the screen goes black, then Thief II quits back to the desktop. For testing purposes, I tried the Load screen and the same thing occurs.

Details: Windows 98, patched version of Thief II, Darkloader v4.02, downloaded recently from Thief, The Circle website. Playing on Ghost (expert).

Thanks for the help! I really don't want to play this with only Alt+S and Alt+L available!

Cheers,
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

Never had that problem nor don't remember seeing anyone else post about. Perhaps you have a corrupted copy?

I don't know I upgraded to the latest Darkloader (4.1) and downloaded a new version of art.zip from Thief the Circle. Doesn't seem to make any difference. Other missions continue to work just fine.

I'm disappointed - I've heard lots of good things about this mission.
    Your mileage may vary

Can't play Art of Thievery :(

(bump)
    Your mileage may vary

I wish I could help, but I don't have any idea what the problem could be. I've never heard of it happening before. If you have a fast connection, it might be worth trying again to download another copy. I have a friend who has had to download some missions 4 or 5 times to get a copy that would work. Again, I don't know why. I hope you get it running. It's a fantastic mission and one it would be a shame for you to miss.

Secrets?

Hi Nightwalker,

May I bother you for the list of secrets (on GhOst)? But do me a favor: put in a bunch of spoiler space in the e-mail I don't want to read it until I give up or get 'em all.

Thank you so much!

Cheers,
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

E-mail's on the way!

Art of Thievery: 2nd Floor Windows?

Hello,

I've been having a grand time running about this mission and haven't covered half yet. I decided to see what I could see from the outside:

spoiler:
    I went up the drainpipe and unlocked all the second floor windows. Chose my best point of entry (least amount of water arrows vs. most guards to konk) and prepared to go in. But now I'm stuck.

I didn't have any trouble mantling up to the first floor windows. But I try to mantle up/go through the second floor windows, I bounce back and make noise.

Help, if you please!

Cheers!
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

I've had trouble with that, too. I just kept at it -- trial and error, with a lot of reloading. I always found that entering the room with the big angel stature at the third floor was the best entrance. You can do it without wasting any water arrows.

Missing 3rd floor of library

Feeling kinda dorky, here...

I'm playingon Expert. I've found all the keys, I think. I have all four talismans. I have all three paintings. I *think* I've covered the entire map, EXCEPT:

I can't seem to get to the 3rd floor of the Lord's library. I've run all over the place, taken both main stairs, South stairs, and of course the actual stairs that go to the 3rd floor, and I never seem to run across a door to the 3rd floor.

I've been to both 1st (with the note about the broken lift) and 2nd floors. I opened the door on the 1st and the window on the 2nd and went out to the ledge to search for a drainpipe, just in case.

I went out the windows on the 3rd floor, both on the courtyard side and on the western side (where the mission begins). A sloping roof prevents me from going around to the north side from there.

There HAS to be a door I'm missing... help?

FURTHER UPDATE:

Lo and behold, I got up to the 3rd floor:

spoiler:
    I used a rope arrow from the 2nd floor ledge, and thank heavens I was able to reclaim it because it's my last one!

Now, I'm stuck again:

spoiler:
    I found the opening from the attic, but there are bars across the window. Picking the doors open from the 3rd floor library (behiind the helmeted guards) reveals more bars. I see the button on the back of the angel pedestal to the left of the desk, but it's far out of reach with the bars in the way. Have a I missed a switch somewhere?

FINAL FINAL UPDATE:

Nevermind, I figured it out. D'oh. Look on the crate, Melissa

Cheers!
    -M
    Last edited by Melissa; 25th Jun 2002 at 02:59.
    Your mileage may vary

Done, almost...

Hello!

What a FUN mission! I'm playing on GhOsT and I'm nearly done; just have a few questions for the crowd:

(1) I have 16 of the 17 secrets. From the list I received from Nightwalker, the one I'm missing is:

spoiler:
    "Library book switch to secret doors (easy) Switch under plan stand (expert)"

I have searched every darn
    spoiler:
    library
    , to no avail. Can anyone give me more specific directions?

(2) There's some loot I'm curious about:

spoiler:
    Is it possible to get the treasure from the water tanks next to the water pool room on the 2nd floor? The water pool room on the 3rd floor only gives access to the chest and the pillars to either side. I searched the 3rd floor looking for an entry point with no luck.

(3) And finally, a small curiosity:

spoiler:
    The first floor Sitting Room: the only way I got inside was to rope arrow from the floor above. Is that correct or is there a guard somewhere outside the room with the Sitting Room Key?

I had a wonderful time with this mission. Thanks!

Cheers,
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

Hi, Melissa! This is a terrific mission, isn't it?

The secret you are missing is
    spoiler:
    in the library that the small bot patrols. There's a little room at the back of the library. Check in there to find the last secret, though it's no big deal. It just opens doors to another hallway.

I'm pretty sure you can get all the stuff in the tanks, but I'll have to go check and make sure.

edit: I went and checked. You can empty all the tanks.
    spoiler:
    On the south side of the pool upstairs, there's a hole you can swim down through. Once you're down there, there is a hole in the wall and if you keep swimming through you can empty 4 tanks (I think it's 4). You need a breath potion, though, to get to the last one and get back out without drowning. There is also a hole on the north side of the pool that lets you empty one tank.

That's the only way into the Sitting Room.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 26th Jun 2002 at 21:29.

Art of Thievery

Hi!

I am playing on Easy. Is there a possiblity to get in the North wing?

And how can I rob the rosary? #

There are tiles everywhere!!!

I have got two potion of invisibility.

Does anybody knows a clue?

Thanks!!!

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast