TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 FM - The Art of Thievery (Dec. 8, 2001)

Vault and Invisibility Potion

For AfterDark and Nightwalker questions:

To quote the Mechanist Lord in his instructions to his Captain:

"...REMEMBER the security devices in the vault can only be turned off if I'm present, so make sure that I go in first before you enter..."

spoiler:
    If you carry the unconscious Lord into the vault room, the "Watchers" will shut down automatically.

Now, speaking of not using invisibility potions, does anyone know how to get my weary Thieving ass past the two guards at the main entrance and down Burrick Lane? Now keep in mind that I only have one optional objective left that I can claim, of not allowing any guards to see or hear me. Can't gas 'em, they're too far apart, they hear water arrows...

I kept the blackjacking to a minimum, 81. I only found 13 secrets. I only picked 20 pockets. I left behind 650 in loot. I MUST leave them scratching their heads. Playing in GhOsT mode, by the way.

Yes, I do remember that, now that you mention it. My memory must be failing me!

As for the guards on the last street, they shouldn't hear the water arrows hitting the torches. Maybe you're standing too close when you shoot them. Try backing farther away. I didn't have a problem with them alerting when the torches were extinguished.

I can see light at the end of the tunnel

This is hopefully my last post.......... for THIS mission at least! I have been holed up inside this mansion for over 8 and 1/2 hours and I feel that I am nearing the end.....FINALLY?! What a superb mission, A gold hammer mission for sure
    So I am about to enter
    spoiler:
    the vault room, I just disarmed the alarm system in the first room and am about to take care of the elementals
    , but I am still missing one secret. I am playing on expert and have ghosted the whole mission with no knockouts......with my blackjack anyway ( my slip up before ). I finally found the lord and picked his pocket to give me 25 total pick pockets and more importantly
    spoiler:
    the vault key
    . I don't have ALL the loot but I am over 5800, and hoping to find more
    So the only things I have left to check off until I leave are to find my last secret and
    spoiler:
    The Jeweled Sword
    , which I am about to obtain. The only secret I can't seem to find is
    spoiler:
    from what I read earlier in the postings, is a lever that opens up a door into the security camera area near the north wing
    I have looked all over and don't know WHERE it is. Nightwalker.........please one last clue???? I just don't know which area it's in. By the by, the last secret that I asked you about in the library
    spoiler:
    I kept on thinking that I had come in through the door that I NEEDED to go through. I kept going left when I needed to go right!
    Thanks again for all your help!

I'm not sure exactly which secret you mean. Check your e-mail and you'll find a list of the secrets. That should solve the problem. If you still can't find it, you can tell me which number it is and I'll be able to give you more details. Okay?

Sneaky1Kenobi
    To AfterDark.....

In answer to your question about being able to get across the room below the vault to shut off the cameras without using an invisibility potion: I did it the old fashioned way. Wait for camera to turn away; run to right and crouch and shut off light; run back to entrance; run to left and crouch and shut off light; run back to entrance; run to water and jump in and try to find a dark place on right side; when back right camera is turned away mantle up and run to shut off light then shut off cameras! It is possible. Took a while needless to say, and I did get yellow lighted by the cameras several times.

I LOVED this mission. Did it first time through on Ghost with no blackjacks - only took about 14 HOURS! Worth every minute.

I'm sure this is a pretty silly question, but

SPOILERS AHEAD

exactly where is the switch that I'm supposed to shoot an arrow to raise the bars in the Lord's study? I'm standing in the attic right now, looking through the little barred window into the study.
    Thanks in advance!

That's not a silly question. It can be hard to spot. To the left of the desk, there's a stand or pedestal of some sort. The button's on the back of it. If I recall correctly, you sort of need to lean to get a good shot at it.

Thank you, Nightwalker....you're a gem as always. I don't know how I would have been able to finish even half of the many FMs I play if not for your advice.

The sword in THE ART OF THIEVERY

I am only on the normal settings and I have done everything except nab the sword. I know where it is and I know i have to swim to get it but I can't figure out how to get into the tank???

Anybody???

Upstairs, on the 3rd floor, you'll find the Waterpool room. Jump in the pool and swim around. You'll see two holes in the floor. One leads down to a single display case. The other one has a hole in the wall that you can swim through, which leads to another case, etc. The last one has the sword in it. You'll need a breath potion to get to the last case and back out without drowning. Have you found it yet?

Yep, that helped to know where to go. Door I ignored because it was locked but I didn't know that a guard was on a pattern there.

thanks.

Running amok in The Art of Thievery!

Having finished all the current fan missions I wished to play and while waiting for the release of The Insurrection, I'm replaying a few favorite FM's starting with "The Art of Thievery." As an added challenge, I decided to try fulfilling all of the objectives on Ghost level including not alerting the guards and no blackjacking.

Things went well at first but after first two hours of gameplay I was running low on water arrows and was getting increasingly frustrated with the complicated guard patrols. Finally after getting caught while picking a lock in the middle of a corridor by two guards approaching from opposite ends, I just...sort of...lost it and went berserk. I whipped out the blackjack and flashbombs and knocked both out. Then, completely overcome, I forgot about the objectives and ran through the mansion like a total lunatic knocking out everyone. Then I went after the cops outside.

So my question is "Has this happened to anyone else?"

Thanks to RiCh for having the compassion and foresight to make the advanced objectives optional; it would have really sucked to have failed that far in because of them.

Stunning
    Happened to me once, when I was picking the lock of a window in the hall with the big angle statue. A guard patrolling one floor up heard it and went looking for me. The same happened with both guards guarding the exit to burrick lane just left of the window I was opening. That really did it for me, so I ehm... decided to do it the messy way.

I ended up with about 20 corpses...

(oops)

"Has this happened to anyone else?"
    Yes

BTW beta testing of "The Innseruction" is comming along very well. We're doing our best to break it but so far the mission has held up well. Shouldn't be long now. If you are afraid of heights you won't be after drilling this puppy.

Help with 'Art of Thievery'

Well I just spent the better part of an entire day with this mission...

First off, I LOVED it. My kind of mission! I just spent MANY hours at this darn thing and I already want to say "Sleep? What sleep?" and play it at Expert (Ghost) mode.

Well, I played it on Hard first time through. I completed every single objective including all the secrets (whew!! I got the first 10 or so okay after that it was insane!!) but I do have a question...never used spoiler cover before so not sure what I should cover or if it matters, but here goes....

There's this
    spoiler:
    room with four display cases (not the underwater ones), and the guard that patrolled the area was kind enough to give me the Display Case Key
    but it doesn't seem to work on anything. The top of each of the four has a metal hatch looking thing but they're not frobbable and the key doesn't work on them. Any clues? Did I miss something? I searched all over the area but couldn't find anything.

This isn't so much important (as I said I completed the mission) it's just something I gave up on but would nonetheless like the answer to.

Thanks!
    ~Shaz

The Display Case key does unlock the metal hatch covers on top of those cases. You just have to make sure they are "lit up", use the key on them and they slide back. I just went and checked to make sure there wasn't anything tricky involved and there isn't. Maybe you were just a little too far back or something?

crouching helps too, crouch and lean in and unlock them, kinda tricky sometimes, one of them i had to stand on the metal plate, crouch and lean just right to key it then fell in lol.

Hrm. I guess I just had bad luck. I tried from the floor from the sides, from the top, from on top of the hatch and crouched, nothing I did made the hatches light up or open.

Okay then, at least I know the key DOES open them!!

Thanks!
    ~Shaz

Stunning
    You could just break the windows

If you're ghosting "Art of Thievery", that wouldn't work, I think. I havent't tried it, but don't you think that would alert the guards? I wonder if the glasses are even breakable.

Art of Thievery was a fantastic mission. I even managed to ghost it!

- Mika L

Breakage busts the ghost, at least by the rules I use (Eidos Forum Rules). I don't think that glass is breakable, anyway.

Originally posted by Nightwalker
    Breakage busts the ghost, at least by the rules I use (Eidos Forum Rules). I don't think that glass is breakable, anyway.
    The glass is breakable but doing so sets off the alarm (even with the cameras turned off) and fails the game, at least on Ghost level.

Oh, and a bit of advice for those attempting the Ghost and "no blackjack" flavors of the mission: regarding the push button type of switch, if you didn't know already, any type of arrow can be used to shoot and turn off or on the switch. I used to think it was just broadheads (which make a lot of noise) but I shot a moss arrow into one by accident and it worked silently. Later in the mission, I found a note that confirmed that water arrows can be used in the same way.
    Last edited by Norman Druart; 19th Sep 2002 at 16:21.

Art of Thievery

I'm almost afraid to ask, but here goes.
    Playing on expert and have all except the sword. I'm in the study without the key to the safe. Guess I missed it. Just spoil me. I've been in this mansion so long I feel like I need to pay rent.

R

LOL! I know how you feel. When I was betatesting it, I got to know it so well that I felt quite at home.

The safe key is
    spoiler:
    worn by the Lord himself. He is in the Captain's room, but would have left for a stroll when you got there. He should have come back and be in the room again, now.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast