TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 FM - The Art of Thievery (Dec. 8, 2001)

Thanks, as usual, you have bailed me out again.

?? Art Of Thievery....elemental room...need access

How does a thief gain access to this room? Playing expert and ghosting. Have ~5900 loot, three paintings and the four talismans with the combination book. I just need to find the sword, pick about three more pockets and find seven more secrets.

BTW I've never tired to ghost a mission this large before. I've got such a huge urge to hit someone. But I figure if there is a mission to be ghosted, it's this one. (not that I'm perfect ghosting...just trying not to be seen.) I've never gotten more use out of 5 rope arrows EVER. I'm almost done and I still have three left. I left one in the chapel getting the Air talismen. I forget where I put the other...probably left it stuck in one of the librarys.

SlyFoxx -
    spoiler:
    Did you find the switch under the Lord's chair in the study?

Why no good lady. I have not. I went over the room...well let's just say I gave it the once over more than twice. Figured the entrance was there some where as it made the most sence. Just could not find it.

Thanks

Oh well off to taff soon.

EDIT: OMG! I hate it when I miss something like that. Oh well.
    Last edited by SlyFoxx; 13th Nov 2002 at 18:54.

art of thievery nonexisting links?

can anyone provide a link for me please? the existing ones are both down
    i tried the keep as well.

thanks in advance

Thiefmissions.com

I think all links eventually lead either here: http://thief.math.uh.edu/missions/art.zip or to Fileplanet. My link is working fine right now.
    - J<

yup, just tried again and now I got it...

thanks for the reply

Thiefmissions.com

I wonder what I've done wrong. I'm doing the full ghost thing and have nearly finished. I've just finished getting the sword and as I head back out to the staircase I get a notice that I've alerted the guards. But no guards are in sight and I'm not making any noise. I thought it might be scripted, but then what's the point of having the objective in the first place if it will always fail. And to top it all off, when the message triggers several guards come running.

And as if that wasn't enough, I found all of the secrets but one of them didn't register when I found it. Ah, well, I won't see the final screen with all green checkmarks but it sure was one hell of a time.
    - J<

Hi epithumia,

It's nice to know that you play FM's in addition to hosting them.

I got that message occasionally while playing GhOsT even though there were no guards in eye or ear shot. I believe that it was caused either by guards discovering something I had done somewhere else in the building or it was a bug. Did you try waiting a while after getting the sword before starting on your escape from the mansion?

BTW, it's a day late but

Happy First Birthday to One of the Best Fan Missions Ever!

That's very strange, epithumia! All the secrets should work properly. As for the guards, it's easy to alert them without realizing it. I had trouble getting in and out of the waterpool without alerting a guard who was patrolling in the hallways below. It took me quite a few reloads before I timed it correctly, because you can't tell when he's down there. Maybe it something like that has happened to you?

Thiefmissions.com

I let the game run for half an hour and still had the problem. I guess it's possible that I made too much noise while getting the sword but I'd expect the "Alerted the Guards" notice to pop up when I made the excessive noise, not 30 minutes later when I cross an invisible barrier. Moss arrows and such didn't help; there's a safe region around the entrance to the vault and once I leave it (from any angle or speed) I get the warning.

Anyway, I went ahead and got out; I didn't find all of the loot but I didn't expect to. Otherwise this is the first mission of any size that I've finished without using the blackjack. I'm usually a "pile the bodies high" kind of player. I certainly look forward to those other missions that RichE was working on.
    - J<

Originally posted by epithumia
    I've just finished getting the sword and as I head back out to the staircase I get a notice that I've alerted the guards. But no guards are in sight and I'm not making any noise.
    I remember this! I even played around with it for a bit. Climbing up to the second or third stair from the top gave the message. Alas, I can't recall how I handled it. I have a vague memory of the room. And an even vaguer memory of going another direction to avoid the message. A Rope Arrow to get up instead of the stairway? Putting the clock back? Or, finally, mayhaps I just went on my merry way and ignored the message concluding it was a bug. Good luck.

Gone, but never forgotten
    I remember having had a problem with the stairs which are near the clock which opens a passage.

As soon as I went to the right I had a message while there were no close guards or in sight.

Not to have of objective in red, I had to make a great turning.

Art Of Thievery - Easy

I read up on this one before I started, so I wanted to do a "dry run" before attempting it on "ghost" mode.

I'm missing a secret . Instead of going through the ones I have, is there a list anywhere that I could download?

Also, one of the threads mentions a switch behind a grandfather clock on the south stairwell. Does this not exist on "easy" mode? Because I couldn't find it anywhere.

For secrets, see my post from December 17 of last year in this thread: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...l=1#post262381

As for the switch, it's not there on Easy setting.

I have lists of the secrets on all the different difficulty settings posted here .

Clock,

Go with Nightwalker's list; mine is just a jumble of all the secrets in no particular order.

Thanks to both of you. The one I missed was
    spoiler:
    The switch behind the banner that turns off the watcher. I actually found the switch as I was sneaking past the watcher and turned it off in front of him. But that didn't count as a secret. I had to frob the trigger inside the bedroom.

Missing that one didn't bother me too much. It's one of those "duh" situations.

But I shudder to contemplate how I'm going to do this level in "ghost" mode. Knowing what lies ahead allows me a battle plan, but doesn't quiet my loud clicky ankles.

When I started this FM, I spent a lot of time climbing the drainpipes. But they were more of a nuisance than a help. I ended up sneaking in on the main floor and going from there. I never did utilize them.

emdale

Question on Art of Thievery

I am on Expert:
    spoiler:

1. How do I get the breath potion I know I need to reach the last tank?
    2. Where is the key to the chest in the tank under the angel statue?
    3. Can I get the gold in the shrine (with the spider bots) without setting off the alarm (I am ghosting) or getting killed? I have a speed potion, and I could use that, but I don't want to set off the alarms at ALL.
    4. How do I get down onto/open/whatever the fire element on the ground floor of the Angel Hall??

Whew. Thanks. This mission is awesome, but the map is nearly impossible to follow. Still, AOT is one of the 2 or 3 best FMs I have ever played. Definately a Gold Hammer.

You can definitely ghost the entire mission and get all the loot. I've done it, as have a number of other people. It just takes lots and lots of patience (along with some skill, of course! ).

To answer your questions:

1) The breath potion is in a chest in a bedroom occupied by a lady in a red dress, on the second floor, I believe.
    2) The key to the water chest should be in the Master's bedroom.
    3) If you read a note posted in the alarm control room on the upper level of Angel Hall, you'll find out that the vase in the room with the spiders is fake! Don't go in there at all, it's a waste of time.
    4) The switch to raise the cage around the Fire Talisman in on the upper level of Angel Hall. It's under the seat of a bench.

This is one of my all time favourite missions and a true work of art itself!

emdale
    Thanks Nightwalker! About the Shrine:

spoiler:
    I know that the note said it was a red herring, but I went in there and grabbed it anyway (saved first) and it was gold, it added to my total amount... Rumor has it that you can "Raiders of the Lost Ark" the thing with a counter-weight. Any ideas about that??

Anyway, this is shaping up to be (1) the hardest, and BEST, ghost mission ever, and (2) an indescribable FM. Phreaking awesome.

Thanks again!!

Nope it's not gold. Look at the total BEFORE you take it and afterwards. There's no change. I have a complete loot list for Expert on this mission and that vase definitely has no value, on Expert.

emdale

Another question.....

Ummmm... ok. I opened the gate above the Fire Talisman, got down to it (no easy task, I am ghosting, remember? ), and all there is in the cage is a bunch of orange smoke. Am I doing something wrong?? Did I miss a clue?

Also,
    spoiler:
    the book in the Lord's bedroom mentioned that he had hidden the sword in the water chest.. and I got the key... and I opened the chest.... and I got... a Water Talisman?? I am missing something, I haven't read something I think. WTF are these Talismans for anyway??

This is such a great FM I hardly care about the difficulties, but I have to ask. Somebody fill me in, I'm a loser.

Re: the fire talisaman, did you notice an item or two on the table with the cage switch? They are necessary for the retrieval process.

You will have to do just about everything else in the mission before you get the sword. Keep playing and the talismans' use will eventually become apparent.

I suspect that I messed up when I was betatesting if the book still says that. It should have read that way on Normal, but not on Expert. Have you been to the Captain's room yet? There is something there that will make this mission much easier for you.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast