TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 FM - The Art of Thievery (Dec. 8, 2001)

emdale
    I am quite sure that--at least in my copy of the game--the book says on Expert that
    spoiler:
    the sword is in the chest... manor lord is keeping it there for Karras, if I remember correctly. That is why I headed back to the tank immediately; I had already found it [the tank], and couldn't get in.

Anyway, funny you should mention the Captain's room, I was just on my way there now....

I know I say it every time, but this mission, just the scope and sheer grandeur of the thing, is blowing me away. I can see playing this thing over and over on different settings and never getting really tired of it. After I finish ghosting it on Expert (if I ever finish it...), I think I am going to go back and play "Kill Everyone in the House On Easy Mode." Heheh. Work out my frustrations and my moral ambiguities.

I just finished playing it on Easy and it was't that easy. I was going to play on Expert as usual, but when I took a look at all the guards outside and the complexity of the inside of the place, I decided I'd better try Easy first. I'd say it ranks up there with Expert on most mssions. It was great fun and I will probably start again on Expert because I want to see the areas I missed. At least I have a pretty good idea of the layout of the place now. I had a tough time locating and acquiring a couple of the pictures.

emdale
    I'll tell you this, it is the toughest Expert I have ever even *thought* about playing. But it hurts sooo good.

emdale

AOT Quick Question

Just a quickie:

spoiler:
    What does the button in the lit fireplace in the bedroom with the woman close to the staircase with the clock do?? I clicked it, for what it's worth.

Just curious--it didn't indicate that this was a secret--no music and objective message. Matter of fact, it did prety much... nuthin. Nuthin that I can see, *yet*, anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Art of Thievery

I am playing on expert after finishing it on easy. I took a tour through the north wing to see what it was like, but now I am confused about getting the earth talisman.

spoiler:
    I have the scroll with the instructions and went to the glass house but am not finding it.

Nevermind. Wouldn't you know, as soon as I post the question, I figure it out. I was looking at the wrong switch.
    Last edited by Daisy; 16th Dec 2002 at 05:47.

emdale -
    spoiler:
    Look for more buttons to push in that room.

emdale
    Thanks Nightwalker, as always! Listen, another quickie anyone. I have made progress, it's not really a spoiler I need, just a nudge:
    spoiler:
    I made it into the study, all that, down to visit the elementals, did the talisman thing, etc. What now? Were they supposed to give me something. I have opened the safe, got everything I need. Can I just go on to the secret vault behind the clock, or were those swirly clouds down in the vault supposed to cough up the goods?? I read the instruction scroll, it didn't really say one way or the other....

Cool.

I was in the same spot this evening.

spoiler:
    You are done in the elemental room when you see the colored clouds. Head to the vault. I am stuck there and could use some hints.

Originally posted by Daisy
    I was in the same spot this evening.

spoiler:
    You are done in the elemental room when you see the colored clouds. Head to the vault. I am stuck there and could use some hints.
    In what way are you stuck?

I am in the room
    spoiler:
    with all the water and cameras and have turned off all the light switches. I haven't found a way out. I tried roping up and end up in water channels I can't escape from. I thought that was a lock above and tried a fire arrow. The instructions said to use opposing forces but I can't figure out what that means--maybe that's later. I did find water and fire arrows which I think I am supposed to use. Just nudge me in the right direction.

spoiler:
    I haven't find an invisibilty potion. Any hint where I might get one? Do I need it? I still have a speed potion
    Last edited by Daisy; 18th Dec 2002 at 04:24.

Daisy, you're on the right track when you're taking the "opposing forces" clue into account. Just think "opposites".
    spoiler:
    Did you notice that there are arrows from all different types of elements in the room. Try using one of each of those before you go swimming.

That's just a rather pointed hint, not a spoiler. If you're still stuck, let us know!

Oh, I see

spoiler:
    I was thinking of only two as opposites--fire and water. I'll try all of them.

emdale

Has anyone noticed that, in the main library
    spoiler:
    in the elevator shaft that is out of whack, the cross-section of the floor is mechanical dials?? Odd texture, though I will assume that it is part of the technology that makes the thing work.

Just a dumb observation. This FM is as good to look at as to play. Rockin. I love the
    spoiler:
    M. C. Escher swans on the ceiling.

Thanks, Nightwalker--that worked.
    spoiler:
    I never saw the switch to turn off the cameras till I was done there. I have completed all the objectives except the loot. Where does the wheel peg go? I don't remember seeing anyplace to put it.

Daisy
    spoiler:
    there's a room with pillars filled with water on the second floor. The ship's wheel is on the wall in the back corner.

emdale
    Ok, things are going great. But big glitch...
    spoiler:
    I am in the elemental room, I hit all the elemental globes with the right arrows, used the potions to turn off the alarm, and I read the book to get the codes. Swam up to the roof, (had to use a breath potion), typed in the code.... and nothing. Well, I died--five times--but besides that, nothing. Did I read the code book right? I will be honest, there is nothing to decipher on mine. On the left, a list of symbols which correspond to numbers 1-0. On the right, a schematic and a list of elements at the bottom. the elements are numbered in the schematic, and their numbers are 1-2-3-4. But I see nothing to decipher, no symbols of any sort. Did I get all the way here and miss something else....??

*sigh*

spoiler:
    Did you copy down the symbols you saw when you used the elementals beneath the study? Use the book to translate them to numbers and the other page gives the order to use them in a code.

emdale
    D'OH!!!

Art of Thievery HELP!

ive searchd through the forum but no one was as stupid as me and didnt find the fire talisman. i mean i found it and i shot a water arrow at it but erm there is a cage and i cant get it away... can anyone hlp me pleez?

thx and greez

I'm surprised you didn't find the answer with a search because I know other people have had problems with the same thing.

You need to go up to the top floor of Angel Hall and look under a bench for a lever. There is a water arrow sitting on top of the bench (or there was unless you've already taken it.)

thx m8 u helped 4 helpin me out. :-)

ah yes can anyone give me pleeeez a list of the secrets? would be cool (only found 13 of the 17 secrets)

thx and greez

You're welcome! Look here for a list of the secrets.

Success

Ahhhh, the sweet smell. Let's see, Ghosted the mansion on Expert and got all the objectives (all the bonuses, too) but I am 2 secrets short. Still, quite a nice job, I think. Does anyone have a secret list so I can see what I missed??

Also, I am 320 gold short for all the dough. That add up to anything obvious to anyone?

Man, what an incredible FM. No contest, one of the best I have played. Excellent.

Welcome to the forum, Talon Riverhand!

AoT is definitely a beautiful mission. I have a list of secrets posted here . It's hard to say what you may have missed for loot, though, because there is so much scattered everywhere. I'd suggest that you start from your last save and run through, blackjacking everyone to make it faster, until you find what you missed. Then, if you like, you can start from your last save and ghost your way to the loot. It's pretty hard to search for a few bits and pieces like this in ghost mode. I know, I tried it! I do have all the loot written down, but it's not in a proper loot list yet. If you still can't find it, let me know and I'll try to find time to do up a list of some sort.

I spent nearly 12 hours in this mission, by the game clock. That's nearly half of the time it took me to complete Thief2!

I've been 370 and 420 short on loot (can't figure out what I missed the second time), and got all the secrets (two of them by peeking). But I can't figure out why it reports only 28 pickpockets? I made a list of all of them, and it comes out to 31, but I thought I got all of them.

If anyone else is wondering, here's the list of pickpockets:
    spoiler:
    1157 - Chapel, Pew
    1186 - Chapel, Altar
    1216 - North Wing, Patrol bottom
    1266 - C.Library, Patrol
    1307 - C.Library, North Door
    1586/2306/2307 - Mech Lord
    1795 - CCRoom, Second floor
    2002 - Angel, Second Floor
    2007 - Glass Display Room
    2011 - Angel/Hallway, Third floor