TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Cult of the Resurrection: Thief 1 FM (May 24, 2000)

Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    I tried playing around with the other two locations, same story. The monolog olnyl shows "[dynarray.h@425] Index 1 out of range", nothing more.
    huh. What do the cells look like there? Are there any sliver cells that might mark a problem with planes not being merged correctly?

This is one of the offending rooms (stripped of all the objects):

I can walk in the purple area as long as I don't get too close too the opposite wall or it will crash. Entering the brown or the yellow area is ok, but getting to the middle of the room causes the crash. Sometimes (rarely) when walking in these two areas I can make it to the end of the room before it crashes.

I cannot find any version 2.2 of "Cult of (the) Resurrection", just "v1" everywhere. Where did this version 2.2 come from?

http://thiefmissions.com/info.cgi?m=cultv1

Look at the readme file

Version: 2.2

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by fibanocci View Post
    thiefmissions:
    Version: 2.1
    Release of revision: May 15, 2000

keepofmetalandgold:
    Release of latest revision: July 31, 2000

clearing, the version I've just downloaded from thiefmissions is

Original date of release: May 3, 2000
    Release of latest revision: July 31, 2000
    file: cult info

Clearinghouse
    Downloaded from thiefmissions. Yes, ver.2.2
    Need to remove the old readme file: http://thiefmissions.com/readmes/cultv1.txt

My readme file says it's version 2.2. That one I played two times (on easiest difficulty level and on medium), but I do not remember frequent crashes, and did not write down anything concerning crashes either. However, my machines are very old, and when I played this mission I used ancient Windows 98 SE. Maybe things would be different with newer operating systems and/or machines.

I restarted it and this time I was able to finish it without any crashes.

Hi*

I also have crashes in this mission, but with a different error message than the OP: Clip Alloc: Scene complexity too high.

Right when entering the first house with the buzzing flies on the left (solved it by entering it backwards), and when exiting this same building and walking onto the roof opposite from where the first guard stands, and overlooking the scene. Also tried restarting the mission a few times.

FM version is 2.2, Thief Gold with Darkloader 4.3, XP SP2. Well, I'm off to try another FM, but I'd really like to check this one out as it seems quite popular.

*(first post, but I've been playing and lurking for years. Sometimes in 2002 some guy on a forum said the sneaking missions in RTCW were a Thief ripoff, so I checked the demo, and...you can guess the rest )

It sounds like maybe you're someplace the author never intended you to be. There are lots of places like that in FMs and many of them can crash the game or even your computer. It sometimes happens in places inside a mission as well, especially these older ones. Usually you can get past the spot by looking right down at the floor and staying that way until you've moved on into the next area.

Oh, and welcome to active participation in the forum! I hope you'll continue to contribute.

I'm not so sure that it's a place where one is not supposed to go. First, I dimly remember that I could enter all houses which had some kind of doorway or open window in the beginning of this mission. Second, the author even placed a plaque saying something like "How the hell did you get here?" on one of the roofs nearby. That roof is on top of a house to the right of the entrance to a large church-like building which is guarded by two "Ramirez-type" guards. So he was aware that someone might get up there (although it's not exactly the same spot where shellac gets the error message).

I even remember doing some roof-climbing there, on all the roofs of the houses on the right side of the first street (seen from the starting point). There were no visible graphic errors, and that was several years ago when graphics cards weren't as powerful as they are today.

Anyway... maybe shellac uses a widescreen patch or DDFix? Is any of these available for Thief 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    There are lots of places like that in FMs and many of them can crash the game or even your computer. It sometimes happens in places inside a mission as well, especially these older ones. Usually you can get past the spot by looking right down at the floor and staying that way until you've moved on into the next area.
    Now that's a completely new challenge: not only sneaking around guards, but also around the dark engine.

Oh, and welcome to active participation in the forum! I hope you'll continue to contribute.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    Anyway... maybe shellac uses a widescreen patch or DDFix? Is any of these available for Thief 1?
    Yes, both. But the crashes still occur in the same spots on ddfix 1.3.11b/Widescreen and with the current ddfix 1.5.8/no Widescreen (where fov is integrated). Using default 100% fov in both cases.
    But thanks for bringing this up anyway, it's nice to have bloom and other enhancements with the current ddfix, which I tried only because of these crashes. And thankfully they occured at the start of the mission, so it might be possible to sneak around them with careful play as Nightwalker suggested.

CHURCH

I try in vain to church to find two gems, could anyone help? Please specific advice, therefore where to find them, I actually searched the church about three hours, he used everything in their inventory but nothing. thank you

The loot list doesn't have any gems in the church on it. Do you mean the ones that are listed as in the "main building"?

Archivist
    Hi jardakrupka, nice to see someone playing this old classic .

I did a thread search for "gem" and came up with this post by Sledge himself. It's more of a hint than a spoiler, but maybe it can lead you in the right direction. If not, here is a spoiler from the walkthrough:

In a room upstairs, you'll find a scroll, and downstairs through the south door, you can pick up a diamond, worth 150g. (350), which is lying on the ground beside some broken barrels.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by The Phantom; 6th Aug 2013 at 18:15.

The loot list doesn't have any gems in the church on it. Do you mean the ones that are listed as in the "main building"?

I picked one that was at the garbage but I still can not find the rest. I found a total of 460, otherwise all the tasks I have met only one missing gems.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    Hi jardakrupka, nice to see someone playing this old classic .

I did a thread search for "gem" and came up with this post by Sledge himself. It's more of a hint than a spoiler, but maybe it can lead you in the right direction. If not, here is a spoiler from the walkthrough:

Good luck!

I play only just a Thief, so I play all the missions you can get.

I'm glad you're enjoying playing FMs. I sent you an email with a picture of where to look for the other gem. Maybe that will help you out.

I'm glad you're enjoying playing FMs. I sent you an email with a picture of where to look for the other gem. Maybe that will help you out.
    Your PM arrived

It was more than 12 years ago when I first played Cult of the Resurrection. I remembered the names of Katrina and Azaran, but not much else. It is a solid fan mission if you do not mind some forced ghosting at the beginning. Getting the blackjack took way longer than I expected.

Playing on NewDark 1.26, I was able to mantle up the walls of the ruined buildings at the starting location and got to places I was not supposed to. This was in the ruined building before you enter the cult's hideout in the abandoned Hammerite church. Several times in the later parts of the mission, I got stuck on something unseen and had to reload. However, this was likely a problem with the mission architecture on not with NewDark. Another tiny quibble I have is a placard that is half-sunken into the wall to the left where you exit the elevator in the cult’s hideout.

Finished on Burglar in 1 hour and 9 minutes with 2238 of 2238 total loot. I was surprised I had gotten all the loot. Given that I did not attempt to, I do not think this mission is too difficult, at least on this level.

I noticed the secret door in Rathis' chamber but was not able to open it. If posts on the TTLG forums I read are correct, the hidden button does not appear on Burglar difficulty.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789