TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: T1 FM: Autumn in Lampfire Hills (Nov 14, 1999)

Purah

T1 FM: Autumn in Lampfire Hills (Nov 14, 1999)

Please post all Autumn in Lampfire Hills feedback, both brutal and nice here. Thanks.

Download links:
    http://thiefmissions.com/m/fire
    http://thief-thecircle.com/missions/
    http://keepofmetalandgold.com/fmarchive.htm
    http://www.ttlg.de/de/download/navig...M-Download.xml

Note: The thread for the updated New Dark version of this mission can be found here.

------------------
    "Expect my visit when the darkness comes. The night I think is best for hiding all." -Ouallada
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 6th Dec 2012 at 16:52. Reason: added download links

belboz

sorry haven't played it yet, i've downloaded it, but currently lost in a theatre, in thief gold, is taking up me time.

Apache

Well I ran across your level my mistake. I was uploading my level to the site..when I noticed this level called Fire. Sounded interesting so I figured I'd give it a try. I must say very very very impressive..I loved the Jack-O-Lanterns. The acry was fantastic and the story unmatched....I give it a way thumbs up...Ok now that the brown nosing is done...here is the otherside of the coin..Sorry
    Well first not all the files were zipped right. I had to go in and move them around to read some books. Mainly Garrett's journal. Your sleeping AIs talk and act like they noticed you but never get up. Finding the darn key was a B***H..I cheated and went into DromEd and looked for it. That is about my only gripes.
    Thanx for building such an awesome level. I went right to work thinking of new ideas for mine. Also did you build the terrain by hand or Perl?

------------------
    Live in the Shadows..Work in the Shadows..Die in the Shadows...
    Thief-The Light Project

Purah

The key is a !@#$ to find isn't it. I've posted the spoiler for that somewhere. I thought the book in the library would give it away??? Apparently I was wrong. The AIs talking in their sleep I could not get around. It seemed that they muttered stuff when they were alerted above norm but not quite enough to wake them. They DO get up if you keep banging around or get too close. As far as the streets and the level itself, I built it all by hand.

------------------
    "Expect my visit when the darkness comes. The night I think is best for hiding all." -Ouallada

Garrettwannabe

Awesome piece-of-work, thanks for all the hard work on it...I haven't completed it, seem to have hit a roadblock..I'll read the walkthru if you publish one...but, once again thank you for the level.

Fred Chook

I finally finished this. Damn good.

THIEFJUNKIE

(THIEFJUNKIE would post more compliments than he already has but he's too #$&%*@* busy looking for the *@#^$%* key.)

------------------
    Follow the write rabbit and always take the red pill.

Kyran Ward

I'll have more to say when I'm finished. Loving it so far- what a refreshingly different feeling this mission has.

Unfortunately, I managed to climb up into the starry "blue room", and hit the switch for the trap door once I was up. Thus, I am trapped!

I'll have to hack my way out with DromEd later.

One thing: I always got the impression that no one actually knew about the Keepers... would there really be a Keeper Library? Or is the meaning of the name simply unknown?

------------------
    -gabe-

You like Keepers? I sure like Keepers. "Lesser Folly of Sentiment"... Stealing its way onto your hard drive soon..

Purah

Kyran: there is a switch in the room to get back out.

blutch

Yep,this is definitly a damn good level.
    But as said previously,some files wern't at their correct place and i had to move then.
    And i think that u should relight all the level.When unzipped,it's in quick light mode.
    I recalculated all with objcast lighting and an ambiant of 20,and it add even more to the overall feeling.

But it's definitly one of the best level.
    A walkthrought will be great too.I'm stuck in a room with spiked floor and don't know what to do next.

Thanks for it

blutch

S.S.B.1

I love the level. I've been everywhere that I have found accessible. I really enjoy being able to get into people's houses/shops through alternate methods. How many people would have a front door which was easily accessible?

I'm getting bored now because I can't get into the vaults. I found Sorrack, his key, unlocked the lock behind the cottage, got what was behind it. I went under the old Hammer shrine and swam to the end of the tunnel. Tried using every key I have (cottage, shrine, Alarus, Sorrack) and my lockpicks but the gate won't open. I've thrown three switches (cottage, Hammer bedroom, Catacomb) and I can't find what they open. What am I missing?? Thanks in advance.

------------------
    Super Soul Bro #1
    "Canyadiggit?"
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 26th Mar 2013 at 12:50. Reason: Added spoiler cover and removed old edit notification

Purah

***********Spoiler************

There are a couple hints that the Keeper Vault is tricky to get into. You only NEED to get into it on EXPERT LEVEL. To enter you will need to visit the Psychic's house, a place with blue stary ceilings. Behind a tapestry and further on behind a painting is a safe, within which is the Psychic's Key. The Psychic's Key opens both the underwater grate and a locked door across town. You have to be careful after that because there is a button on the sewer wall which opens a route to the King's Tomb & the Vault of Sorrows (by means of a spiked floor trap room)but at the cost of sealing off the Keeper's Vault forever. An inscription in the floor and Garret's "hmph" indicate some thought is required before the button is pushed. DON'T PUSH IT TILL YOU EXPLORE THE REST OF THE HALL>>
    Also, behind the locked cottage switch there is a difficult to see chute that drops into the tombs. Get the scroll and drop on down. Hence there are two ways into the tombs, the locked switch with the hint scroll & the button in the sewer. Both lead to Sorrack himself, an unkillable specter that you MUST sneak past.

Best of Luck.

------------------
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 3rd Dec 2012 at 12:28. Reason: added spoiler cover

CocoClown

Okay, I give up. Where is the key for the mysterious lock?

S.S.B.1

SPOILER

The key is in the Old Hammer Shrine, behind a door in the upper wall. The wall is the same as the slashable banner which conceals a tunnel to the vualts. There is a switch near the top right corner of the wall which opens the door which hides the key.

WOW!! I finally made it into the vaults and tomb. In my opinion this is the best FM level I've played. Of course I haven't played or completed all of them, but this one kept me interested enough to stay with it.

------------------
    Super Soul Bro #1
    "Canyadiggit?"
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 3rd Dec 2012 at 12:29. Reason: added spoiler cover

xarax

If it weren't for the technical glitches and the extremely slow performance, this would be a gold hammer mission. it brought my 333mhz 24MB scan-line-interleaved voodoo2 system to its knees.

awesome city design, although a bit small.

There are nice hints throughout about interesting places to visit. Aha..I spy a ladder over yonder on that wall... how to get to it? what's this...an open window way up there just beneath the wood beam? ooh, some errie sounds eminating from the arched window on the third floor...how to get up there?

Plenty of brush problems throughout, enough to go back and fix it for a later updated release.

final note: what ambient light level setting? it appears too dark... much darker than Assassins (my benchmark ambient level -- the ambient lighting is just right).

Great job.

------------------
    Go ahead, make my day! Click here! ==> Visit my DromEd junkyard!

[This message has been edited by xarax (edited November 14, 1999).]

dkessler

I was unable to use the path to the vaults/tomb through the cottage.
    So I used the psychic's key instead.
    BUT, now i am surrounded by a lot of light flying around me and I can hear music coming from somewhere nearby, but I cannot just slide through the wall although there appears to be a way through. The wall looks funny, but that may be my imagination.

a HINT would be appreciated since I did not have to use outside help until now.
    you can also mail me kessler@mindspring.com

I would really like to get away from the heat

------------------
    repetitio est marta studiorum

[This message has been edited by dkessler (edited November 14, 1999).]

Purah

OK FOLKS! I am swamped with e-mail so here is the BASIC BASIC BASIC WALKTHROUGH FOR EXPERT LEVEL:

1 I guess you need to move some of the book files from improper paths to the /books dir. This is pretty important (sorry for the inconvienence. If I remember right lamp1,16, and 25 suffer this fate and need moving. One look in the zip will tell you which ones are different from the others.

2. grab all gear from cottage including a fire arrow in the fireplace and 12 watter arrows in the well.

3. go down the stairs and head right to the power generators. nearby is a trap door up to the Psychic's house, behind a tapestry & behind a picture is a safe with the Psychic's Key.

4. head to Brimstone Inn where the thief Talbot has rented a room. He has a scroll to get into the Alarus House through a back cellar entrance.

5. Go out on the ledge and rope arrow across under the town clock to the opposite ledge. creeep around the ledge to the window and down into the Mages' Armory. It is possible to creep down and back up without waking the hammer but VERY difficult.

6. Head by street to the balcony near the orange power transformer. Rope arrow up and into Succubus' Kiss. Steal everything...the female mage has a belt pouch like the hammer mage in the armoury.

7. Go to the library. the book about your cottage is in a shelf near the door to the stairs where you go "hmph." A book and scroll on the table will also help.

8. Break into the hammer's OLD SHRINE. In the wall above the secret door tapestry is another secret door. the switch to open it is near the ceiling and just above. go in and get Sorrack's key plus his book and gold. make his bones float by throwing his head at the body. Whoopee! Cheap thrills.

9. Hit Alarus House from the wine cellar. moss arrows hidden nearby will help. Watch it, they turn on the lights there. The dagger is in an upstairs bedroom with a sleeper who likes to tattle.

10. Near the bridge up a ladder to the flat topped building is a chimney down to a simple hut with a gold vase. the key to get out is on the floor. don't wake the sleeper.

11. The psychic's key opens a door to a pumproom across town. go in, flip a control box and down into the sewers. Go for a dip and swim through to another dry passage. DON'T PUSH THE BUTTON. if you have fixed the books the floor inscription gives a hint that the keeper vault is just down the passage. proceed. nail spider beast and drop on in. grap keeper medalion, leave via water tunnel.

12. back to cottage unlock box, (sorrack's key works on the switch too so don't accidentally lock the switch or you'll have to unlock that too) in the fireplace is a scroll and chute down to a cistern. the scroll indicates what you're after.

13. down the chute or back through the sewers to push that button before the keeper vault. if you go the sewer route you drop into a spike pit that either kills you or leads to a passage and room full of traps. a switch under a boulder opens the secret door.

14. meet dead Talbot (thief from inn) grab his crap. look at pillars, throw hidden switch on right pillar top and open secret door.

15. walk down passage and rope arrow down to King's Vault. grab loot. BEWARE! UNDead Sorrack w/ flame hand can't die. head out to main vault and see Vault of Sorrows which screams rope arrow (need about 7 from the armory) bring a boulder across and toss it on the pedastal to open keeper door and release fire elemental. Water arrow fizz poof. grab sword.

16. rope arrow to floating chests in main vault. grab sorrack's book from second chest and scram.

17. exit by means of water pool. swim up to large hole, throw switch and exit through well behind cottage. if you have enough loot you just won.

whew!

------------------
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 3rd Dec 2012 at 12:30. Reason: added spoiler cover

THIEFJUNKIE

Well it's a fine level, with great architecture and some interesting puzzles. It might be best to consider this a beta version, and fix it. My two cents would be to figure out a way to change those switches, too damn many switches in illogical positions (often) doing unseen things. Add that to the slide show it turns into what with ten fires, two red smokes, a fire elemental, two grape shooters in that damned room in the end...and you've lost me. When a game turns from fun to frustrating, I say bye-bye.

In the forum vernacular, though, you take care of some things and you could be the illustrious first to go GOLD.

------------------
    Follow the write rabbit and always take the red pill.

CocoClown

With regard to the Keepers being a secret organisation (i.e. nobody knows they exist), I'm not sure that they are quite THAT secret, seeing how the Keeper grotto (or whatever it was) in Cathedral is clearly marked on the street map.

Great level BTW. Finally finished it (that switch in the Hammer Shrine was a real pain to find).

Redearth

It's a great mission, just, as said before, please do something about all those random switches and secret entrances... I was usually expecting something more as I was running around for 30 minutes trying to figure out what to do, but then "Oh, a switch I could barely see, wonderful." Everything was still really well done.

------------------
    I'm sorry... I didn't see... where you went...

Redearth

I should have added "IF you do a revision."

------------------
    I'm sorry... I didn't see... where you went...

Cratus

Awesome mission Purah !!! I have to say the walkthrough helped a bit though. This is such a cool mission! I love the cottage. I am getting my friend The Angell Cat to review it right away! Look for it at my site soon.

It was just an awesome experience!
    !!!!!

------------------
    -----------------------

~~Cratus~~

The Falleen Database

Purah

Feedback on Lampfire Hills

I just wanted to say thank you publicly for all the forum postings both constructive and praise-filled.

I have gotten, to date, about a dozen e-mails stating that I should get a gold hammer for the mission, etc.

While I have no real aspirations for a gold because it's just one more person's oppinion anyway, I wanted to say thank you to all the people that DID award me that honor. Thank you.

I also wanted to say thank you to everyone with even higher expectations. It is impossible to build a Fan Mission that will please EVERYONE. But with higher expectations, FMs will only get better.

Thanks again to everyone who posted.

-Purah.

------------------

Jayle

It was a great mission. It took me a while to find everything, but once I did... hoo boy! I loved the traps and and the atmosphere towards the end was awesome.

My only gripe, which is more comedic than an actual problem was I was in the Hammer Temple with the entrace to the sewers (cut down wall) and when I went to climb the ladder leading to the second floor, I was magically teleported outside on the other side of the wall. I got a bit of a chuckle out of it.

Thanks for the great level. If it doesn't get a gold, it should atleast be one of the highest rated ones out there!

------------------
    As the wages of war ceased, everything was left In Shambles.

Michaels

Hi.

It was a really great level.

The atmosphere I think was one of the biggest assets to the level, it really made you feel like it was Halloween.

I also liked the nice touch with the cottage, pumpkins and everything.

Some of the things, that other people have mentioned as well, is that the moving of the files and some areas with very high polygon counts might be the only things holding it back from a gold mission.

But if it doesn't, it will probably be the highest rated one anyway, a 4 - 5 silver hammer mission.

Thanks for making it.

Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast