TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: New FM pictures out come in to check them out

UnderTow

New FM pictures out come in to check them out

first I would like to point out that these pic are not mine they are Dark Angels they are very good I like them .

quote from Dark Angel
    "These are some screenshots from The Mechanist Temple (i'll think of a better name) which are on display for anyone who wishes to view them. Though not completly finished (about 60 percent complete), this mission may change by the time i release it. I'll eventualy have my own site where you can find updated screenshots, the story, and its features, which i shall post to let it be known. Comments, questions, and such would be apreciated."
    Dark Angel does not have a email addy or anyway to get in contact, so could everyone give him some feedback about his mission here! please

I hope this is what you wanted Dark Angel
    oh and the link to the pics are right here...oh yeah enjoy

------------------
    JIM BEAM
    Those were the days.
    last thursday and friday

real friends. real bourbon
    since 1785

SatW homepage
    updated 16/10/2000

[This message has been edited by UnderTow (edited October 23, 2000).]

Drom_Editor

They look excellent!

I especially like the lighting effects with the colored lighting.

The only part I'm critical about are the jorged textures, but I'm sure you will change those by the time your mission is released for beta.

Speaking of which, when is your mission going to be released, Dark Angel? I can't wait!

------------------
    My eyes forever focused, on the sanguin metal dawn.

[This message has been edited by Drom_Editor (edited October 23, 2000).]

Jakal

Looks damned good. Can't wait for it to go beta. Any idea on when it will?

------------------
    Jakal
    ----------------------
    The Builder makes the hammer that shapes his stone to brick
    The Builder builds the wall that stands against the burrick
    The Builder pours the mortar that goes betwixt the brick
    The Builder builds the wall that stands against the burrick
    The Builder stacks the stone. The walls built mighty thick
    The Builder builds our house that stands against the burrick

--Hammer Book of Song

Dark Angel

Well, as i said in the quote, The Mechanist Temple is about 60 percent complete. I have no idea when it will be ready to relese, it depends on the flow of ideas that come to me.
    Much of what you've seen shall be improved in time.

Yes, of course the Jorge textures shall be replaced i'v yet to work much with the streets (due to the lack of texture space).
    The city streets will be more detailed and the "feel" will be improved as well from that of the original design. Though i can't change it in ways that i would like, for obvious reasons.

Continue with the comments and questions if you will.

UnderTow

hey dark angel is that what you wanted

------------------
    SatW homepage
    updated 16/10/2000

also have you got pics of your fms and got nowhere to u/l them to the web.If this sounds like you you need to goto thief Fms web page

[This message has been edited by UnderTow (edited October 23, 2000).]

Disenchanted

Actually, I've managed to get Jorge to look good under certain lighting. I almost didn't change it because it looked like it belonged.

------------------
    <A HREF="http://"http://members.home.net/silent-radar"" TARGET=_blank>Silent Radar</A> sees everyone.

Saturnine

Amazing! Beeeautiful!
    The lighting! The crisp clean lines!
    My jealousy! Damn they look cool!

------------------
    On this violent night, Unholy night, Winds lash their limbs together as the ether vents its wint'ry sprite.
    Check out screenshots from my FM- 'The Seventh Crystal'
    Coming soon.

Psychomatic

Is this a recreation of the Undercover mission from Thief I to Thief 2 with Mechanists? Looks great!

Dark Angel

Forgive me, i thought i mentioned that. Yes, for those who haven't realized this is the olde Hammerite Temple from The Dark Project.

Don't feel as if you only have to give "positive" comments bring forth the "negetive" ones as well, if you have any.

Sarik

They look nice, but they lack atmosphere, IMHO

Saturnine

Ahh! I can recognise it now that you mentioned it!
    The hammer temple from TDP! what a cool idea it looks amazing, good work

------------------
    On this violent night, Unholy night, Winds lash their limbs together as the ether vents its wint'ry sprite.
    Check out screenshots from my FM- 'The Seventh Crystal'
    Coming soon.

Dark Angel

What do you mean by atmosphere? Do you mean like Hammerite remains like the olde stainglass, and such?

mr_luc

Don't let them get you down, DarkAngel. By atmosphere they mean the cool, dripping-with-ambience look of most thief fm's. What many people don't realize is that the Mechanists have their OWN atmosphere and ambience, a somewhat corporate look to it.

Some ideas follow, however:

If this is a temple/religious place, it should use that corporate style, yes -- but try and style it less like a corporation and more like a cathedral. The pointed roofs help to accomplish that, but what it really needs are more things like that mechanist shrine you had with the light entering through that hole in the ceiling. That kind of thing gives it atmosphere.

However, contributing even more are considerations like this:

'If this is a shrine, where do people stand? Should I light that area well to emphasize it? Where should I place spotlights? Should these corridors be dark or well-lit for this time of night -- or somewhere in between? If lights are going to be turned off, where should the 'on' lights be placed? (Answer: anything that you want to accent, such as that shrine -- or the pic of Karras. Or -- anyhere that people are going to walk to go back and forth -- so a hallway may be well lit, and the rows in the pews, but large areas may not be).

Also, add those newmech textures to use bronze pillars -- they look great. And use 'compress_family all' to remove unused textures and free up texture space.

I wanted to use a lot of this kind of thing for my FM, but the reality of a 24-hour-a-day commercial exchange dictate that most places should be well-lit most of the time. (sigh) So I had to ditch a lot of my ideas in favor of new, more modern looks.

Please, though, don't make your look TOO modern. This is a personal consideration thing. Please not more modern than Angelwatch. I ask that because mine is even more modern-looking, set a year after the Mechanists have gone into hiding and the Corporation has emerged as the power in the City. My look for the Corporation is a very slender, modern look -- so keep your pillars nice and thick like those screenies show, and your shrines prominent and your colored lighting bold and expressive. My look is still unique among both original missions and thief 2 FM's, and I was hoping it would stay that way. And whatever you do, don't make your level well-lit. Our missions will be far too similar in look.

That sucker is looking pretty sweet, although not as completed as mine. Mine is much larger, though, or at least it seems that way from the screenshots you have shown. To give you one example: the two main floors have dimensions of 380 x 90, with three lower levels on either side of the Arch with dimensions of (roughly 126)x100. And aside from one large hall, ain't none of that filler. It's chock-full of goodness. Not to mention the largely completed lower exterior. I'll be posting some nice screens when I find a good hosting site.

Have you made other missions? Sorry if you have and I don't remember, but I remember the mission and not the author generally.

(btw, does anyone know how to make automaps for t2?)