TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Order Of The Vine (t1 mission - 30/06/2000)

Sunsurfer

The Order of the Vine!

Silentsleep- Great mission. Fun to play yet hard. Two thumbs up on this one. This one should have made the Gold missions slot at The Circle. I look forward to your next mission.

------------------
    Surf the Sun,
    Ride the Night.

GotsyGold

I wholeheartedly agree! In fact, I am learning to ignore the reviews by Dromeders because I rarely agree with their opinions on FMs - playability should be rated much higher IMO.

frobber

Hey, I actually resemble that remark

Actually you are right -- people who make FMs tend to wander around other people's missions looking for technical achievements and glitches rather than looking for fun.

It is the player afterall who really makes things come to life; A player looking for fun will find it -- but those of us who go looking for bugs and problems will only find those instead.

Glad there are still a few purists left around here!

Three cheers!!!

BTW: I just started The Order of the Vine myself -- and could not agree with you more. Awesome... in league by itself IMHO. Now if I can only just stop trying to figure it all out long enough to enjoy it!

------------------

[This message has been edited by frobber (edited September 17, 2000).]

Kyloe

I've only seen the texts, but I thought they were excellently written. I had a hard time translating them.

Lancer

When I first played Order of the Vine, I thought, this is one of the best FM's I've ever played. Still do think that in fact.

------------------
    Lancer
    www.banzaidesign.com

Saturnine

Its my favorite.

------------------
    On this violent night, Unholy night, Winds lash their limbs together as the ether vents its wint'ry sprite.
    Check out screenshots from my FM- 'The Seventh Crystal'
    Coming soon.

SilentSleep

Thanks, guys. I'm really glad people enjoyed it. I hope you all voted!

Hollow man

Order of the Vine? I think I'll try it. None of the FMs I've tried have been a disappointment.

------------------
    I'm NOT new here.

Nightvision

I must agree. an excellent mission. Unfortunately, my patience did not allow me to finish. basically, i searched the entire level (the second one) and i couldn't find the damn code for the secure room. the scoll said it would be nearby but... I must stop there for fear of spoiling the level for others, but it really bugged me that i couldn't finish. I demand closure!

------------------
    "Thou shalt not frob in public places. Nay, nor shalt thou frob in direct sunlight."

-Zeke.
    please, call me Zeke.

SilentSleep

Nightvision, check the shiny new FAQ at the circle.

Nightvision

Thank'ye kindly good sir.

------------------
    "Thou shalt not frob in public places. Nay, nor shalt thou frob in direct sunlight."

-Zeke.
    please, call me Zeke.

LesserFollies

I'll chime in here too--loved that silent snow, secret snow.... More FMs with snow, please!

------------------
    A man may see how this world goes with no eyes. Look with thine ears: see how yond justice rails upon yon simple thief. Hark, in thine ear: change places; and, handy-dandy, which is the justice, which is the thief?
    King Lear, IV, VI

ThiefinRain

And please add lots of rain, like in my name

frobber

I'm getting there.

spoilers

Think I'm looking for a head along with the treasury combo code - perhaps the head is inside the caged treasury area?

Found the stone keys in Munchins' room (Gliben or whatever that thing's name is) -- really scary how his face changed just as I bashed him. Furniture that breathes -- cool.

Having a little trouble sometimes getting under 4-foot tall shelves -- been putting on weight, can't bend down like I used to, I guess.

Already spent all my sand arrows. Kinda useful. Wish I had lots more.

Cool dining room -- in fact, this whole place has some the best ceiling textures and geometry I've seen in a Thief 1 level.

Stumbled across "secret scrolls" twice now. Number two and number five.

Wish the front main entrance openned -- spent way too long getting through those doors. Blood all over the floor too -- cleaning lady gave me hell, "...do you know how hard blood stains are to get out of a carpet?!?!"

There was one scroll I couldn't frob BTW -- the one behind the sliding picture in a guest room -- got close enough, so I'm not sure what's up on that.

Only other thing I noticed was how ambient sound drops out a lot, or isn't covering -- but frankly, that's okay. Real places aren't filled with sound either. (It may also be because of how I have my sound turned way down due to the hour of the night).

Two stone keys down. A head yet to go. And then I find out what's behind door number one!

Having fun finally playing someone else's FM for a change!

I'll keep you posted.

frobber

[This message has been edited by frobber (edited September 18, 2000).]

SilentSleep

> Think I'm looking for a head along with the treasury combo code...

You should have got the code very early on. You don't need to leave the treasury to open it. I couldn't think of way to make you stay there without getting silly. Darn my brain.

> Already spent all my sand arrows. Kinda useful. Wish I had lots more.

Whoo-Hoo!! Mwa! I kiss you!

> There was one scroll I couldn't frob BTW...

Sounds like number 4. Did you try leaning forward? Most of the ambients are very low. I used a lot of subsonics and basement noises, so try turning up the bass. I prefer quiet missions anyhow. I'm playing shock 2 right now, and it keeps pissing me off with blaring techno.

Look the faq if you have trouble... in the words of Andrew: be patient, and read everything.

Btw, Kyole get huge thanks for translating 59 books and many other files for the german version, all written in my fudgy english. He's a saint.

------------------
    /~sleepy/thief

frobber

S P O I L E R S

You should have got the code very early on. You don't need to leave the treasury to open it.

I'll come in again from the beginning and root around -- no complaints here. I'm in no hurry.

> Already spent all my sand arrows. Kinda useful. Wish I had lots more.

Whoo-Hoo!! Mwa! I kiss you!

A great invention those sand arrows. They are really what you want when somebody is smack in your way -- the AI don't get pissed off when hit by them, so you can either run by or bash them without creating a bloody mess of one sort or another -- that's how I canned our inimitable chief servant (did his face really change? or was I just dreaming?) -- in fact, I shot him twice with sand. The first shot got rid of the bugs around him. But It didn't seem like he was moving any different, so I shot him with another sand arrow, and this time he looked blinded (I did this sand arrow attack after other methods used too many resources).

> There was one scroll I couldn't frob BTW...

Sounds like number 4. Did you try leaning forward?

My lean-forward key link is busted right now I'll try that. I did lean sideways, though.

Most of the ambients are very low. I used a lot of subsonics and basement noises, so try turning up the bass.

As I expected -- I had the bass way down. And I, too, like quiet places in missions -- though you'd never know it from my FM

Look at the faq if you have trouble... in the words of Andrew: be patient, and read everything.

So far, as I said above, I'm not feeling stuck, so I'll only do this if I really need to move on. The mission has made too much sense so far for me to think I can't figure it out (That's the fun part for me, anyway).

Nothing new to report (just got home).

More later, I expect.

SilentSleep

> A great invention those sand arrows.

I agree . They'll also make AI's stumble forward quite a bit. The first time I actually enjoyed playtesting the mission was when I attracted all the main hall guards onto the battlements, then launched a couple of sand arrows. They toppled one by one, like lemmings, into the river below.

They need to be close to the edge and facing the right way, but it's a nice trick to get some guards out of the way on hard or expert.

> did his face really change? or was I just dreaming?

Nope, it does. I used that effect again later.

Glad you're enjoying it so far.

[This message has been edited by SilentSleep (edited September 18, 2000).]

frobber

It is finished -- at least on "normal"

S P O I L E R S

Wound up reading the FAQ to get into the treasury room, then inside found the one clue -- alas no head there frobable.

Finally finished my recon of the place, got the key to the master's bedroom and from there what I needed to unlock the head (I mean unlock where the head is stored... ah, well... you know what I mean!).

Figured by now I'd been eveywhere, so I just went looking for unique places that might be where this head thing could be kept -- noticed the stone pattern on a certain container -- and that clicked with me.

So down I went into this mini Lost City motif you built. Just one guy down there patroling. What's the big deal?

Well, the "big deal" is that he's (it's) the toughest SOB I've ever met in Thief. Hit him with three fire aroows, 7 broad headheads and at least ten good shots from my sword -- and he just kept coming.

Tried jumping into the horizontal portal in that area, too -- AH@!! AH&$##$)ouch(^%*&_%%(+)%&^%barf#%&_+(!!!$yikes%$#*_(*&^*oh-shit(+(()! -- ---reload.

REALLY wanted to get out once I had my prize, but couldn't remember where the side gate was for the life of me.

But I did get out, and to my surprise discovered the epilogue -- which sorta struck me as strange, given how this might mean that my prize just went right back to the Order -- unless I'm missing something here.

Anyhow, it's been a long time since I nearly pissed in my pants playing this game.

Thanks for 3 hours or pure fun!!!

frobber

[This message has been edited by frobber (edited September 19, 2000).]

SilentSleep

You're not really supposed to kill him... he's dead easy to sneak around on normal. Expert, now, that's different.

> REALLY wanted to get out once I had my prize, but couldn't remember where the side gate was for the life of me.

I forget about my map too.

> But I did get out, and to my surprise
    > discovered the epilogue -- which sorta
    > struck me as strange, given how this might
    > mean that my prize just went right back to
    > the Order -- unless I'm missing something here.

Well, yeah, sorta. It's set in Thief's continuity, so I couldn't really change anything. I wanted to use v, as well. I was trying to do dramatic irony, if I understand the term correctly. The player would know who that was, while Garrett wouldn't. The rest of the game could maybe be seen as a sort of penance for Garrett. Dunno.

Thanks for playing it. I promise to play the enterprise when I get a spare minute.

------------------
    /~sleepy/thief

frobber

Originally posted by SilentSleep:
    I promise to play the enterprise when I get a spare minute.
    You might want to set aside a few spare minutes -- the mis file is 16 meg but nobody as grown old and died playing yet

Too Much Coffees

Order of the Vine: Horten's Bedroom

I am trying to finish tootv (one of the best missions!!) in expert mode. I am stuck with the objective to return Horten, the old head guard, back to his bedroom.
    I carried his body up from the temple and have carried his body all over the place and into every bedroom on the map (or so I thought), sometimes twice. But the objective won't check off.
    I picked up a note written by Horten early in the mission, can't remember which room it was from. But if it was a bedroom, I am sure I carried the body into already.
    Does anyone know what it takes to complete this objective? Where is Horten's bedroom?
    Thanks

"You're dog meat!"

SilentSleep

I glad you're enjoying it.

That objective is a bit of a hack, so it can be slow to check off. Dump the body and count to 2 before checking the objectives screen. The objective resets if you pick him up again too quickly.

I'm going to try that spoiler text now. Hilight the rest of the post to read it, if it works.

Horten's room is in the East Wing, with the rest of the guard quarters, just beside the spiral staircase. It's the one with the double doors, and it has a message board outside with his name on it.

HTH.

Too Much Coffees

Thanks S.S. !
    I haven't tried your advice yet, but I will shortly.
    I was almost positive the room you told me to be the right one, was Horten's room. (since his name was on the note outside the room.) I tried that room 5 to 6 times. I dumped his body on the bed, on the floor, or wherever. Walked out the room and shut the doors. That took more than 10 seconds and the objective never cleared.
    Perhaps when I try again, I'll wait a few minutes.
    Excellent guard patrols by the way!

SilentSleep

Uh oh.

Could you post which version of the mission do you have, 1.1 or 1.0, and what version of thief you're using, please?

I tested it thouroughly in 1.0, but there could be something going wrong.

SilentSleep

Well, I checked it out and the objective completed okay. Hope you managed to complete the level.

Thanks about the guard patrols, btw. It's nice to know the many, many hours I spent sculpting those wasn't wasted.

------------------
    /~sleepy/thief

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast