TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Embracing the Enemy (Dec 20, 2000)

kfgecko

T2 FM: Embracing the Enemy (Dec 20, 2000)

I'm releasing v 1.0b of Embracing the Enemy (For Thief 2). I hope it's enjoyable to you all. This is my Christmas present to the Thief communities of the world. Merry Christmas. It weighs in at a solid 7.2M download, 3M of which belong to the briefing. At this time, I'm not including a no briefing version, but will post one if necessary. I feel the briefing is an integral part of the mission, so I urge everyone to use the briefing version.

I hope you all enjoy it. I welcome all feedback... feel free to respond to this thread. FAQ to follow in a few days (EDIT: now available via the link below)

Get it at:
    http://thief-thecircle.com/missions/
    http://thiefmissions.com/m/embrace
    http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/fmarchive.htm
    http://www.ttlg.de/de/download/navig...M-Download.xml
    http://darklurker.org/T2_DarkOrg.html

The FAQ is here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...l=1#post427522
    Preview screenshots: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28182

I'm at my wits end. Dromed is horribly unstable at this point (blind/deaf AI's, crashcrashcrash, etc). Stuff that in my experience I know is really strange. I can't take it anymore and I don't have the time to work with something in the dark. (If I could talk to the programmers, that would be different.) I had to scrap some ideas or it wouldn't release now or next month. I need my vacation.

PS... I am releasing this on my birthday.

------------------
    My Thief 2 mission: Embracing the Enemy
    My Thief 1 missions: Bloodstone Prison (rate it!) and The Library (rate it!)

"And dost the blackjack say to the knoggin, 'be still, for I shall bonk you?'
    Nay! 'Tis the allies of darkness and surprise that belet club meet skull for glorious bonkitude."

- Tennents of the Master Bonker
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 6th Dec 2012 at 16:58. Reason: updated links

No_Coke_Pepsi

Hail, Gecko person! I am not worthy!

Your 'Bloodstone Prison' is very possibly my favorite FM! Very spooky. The servant ghost was a brilliant touch and
    I loved the snuff-the-candle bit to get the guard to open the safe. It took me a while to figure that one out.
    Happy birthday! I shall download and play your latest effort forthwith and immediately, and perhaps even sooner.

------------------
    -- And he said: Go forth, be multiple and fruit-fly!

[This message has been edited by No_Coke_Pepsi (edited December 20, 2000).]
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 21st Oct 2011 at 16:56.

Naartjie

Oh yeah...may I take the time to comment on your two FMs already?

Bloodstone Prison

I've been too afraid to play this. I approached one of the outer walls, said 'meeblemeeblemeeble!' and exited the game.

The Library

Parts of this were good and parts not-so-good. I liked the layout of the Hammerite living quarters, chapel etc. It reminded me of 'Undercover'. The patrol routes were good, if a little easy to avoid and get the knockout. The upstairs levels were also good, with good ambience present and a nice feel. The massive library bit was..a little unbelievable. Having said that, It was thoughtfully designed and I found no errors or mess-ups at all. I had a hell of a time navigating it though, and I didn't really like having to search for this book and the last bit of loot to finish the level. However, I thought the corpse of that guy who fell off was GREAT! It added a little twist to the level which made it seem not-so-cosy as Hammerite areas sometimes can be. The references to the smell it was making made me treat discovering what was making it an extra objective

I'll go and play Bloodstone Prison leter on. I'll also download your newest effort soon, once I have time to play it properly. Thanks for the missions!

Naartjie

------------------
    Pyrotechnologist and Undead Consultant Pro Tempore for Clan Larcenio Haul:"We Haul Assets!", + Co-writer for Life in the Old Quarter!

Join us! Join us NOOOooooOOOWWWWWWwwwww!!!
    Come and post on the only thread with Undead Benny!
    Frenzifying Undead Temptresses!
    Crazed Sport-Convertible Burricks!

Keeper of Metal and Gold

kfgecko's "Embrace the Enemy" is now hosted and can be downloaded from the Keep of Metal and Gold. I'm sure we're all excited to play a new mission from him, and I'm sure we won't be dissappointed (no pressure, kfgecko)

By the way, I too loved Bloodstone prison, starting with the way cool entrance by tree and chimney all the way through to a great escape! The Library was also very enjoyable, but I kept getting mixed up where I was!

------------------

Keeper Hellzon

Bah!! Bloodstone prison is nothing compared to this one. Believe me.

- Keeper Hellzon, happy beta tester of ETE.

Kyra

Happy Birthday, kfgecko!

I'm greatly looking forward to playing your new FM! Now if only I could get it - that site has a daily download limit - arrgh!

Dew-Drop

Hate to say it, but today i-drive sucks.

Keeper of Metal and Gold

If many people are downloading the same file at the same time, it gets proportionately slower for each of them. If you're the only one downloading the file, it goes nicely. Unfortunately (or fortunately ), kfgecko is so respected and popular that everyone wants his new mission, and they're all trying to download it at the same time!

------------------

Totality

Wahooooo!

/me wills the modem to work faster.

kfgecko

Now available at: www.thief-thecircle.com .

ftp.ttlg.com/uploads/embrace10b.zip

[This message has been edited by kfgecko (edited December 20, 2000).]

MoccomouseAgain

Mr. Gecko:
    I have downloaded EtE, and I have gotten thus far- I have 'neutralized' alex, and Montague has run off to the sound of lots and lots of alarms. There are literally no more guards left, all out cold, I have the place to myself. I know I'm supposed to kill Montague now, and I assume he ran off to his tower, which is the only place I can't currently access. I asuume, also, that to get to the tower you must follow the underground passage from Monatgue's bedroom, and up the ladder.
    So, here is my problem. I can't lockpick the door to the tower, and none of the keys I've picked up will work on it, and I haven't been able to find any switches or anythign, so how do I get up there?

I would appreciate any response.
    Thanx,
    Mocco-

P.S, Great mission, keep it up.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 21st Oct 2011 at 16:57.

kfgecko

Originally posted by MoccomouseAgain:
    place to myself. I know I'm supposed to kill Montague now, and I assume he ran off to his tower, which is the only place I can't currently access. I asuume, also, that
    Actually, you need to go out the way Alex came in... via a rope arrow in the attic of the roof-attic of the office area. Go outside to the balcony and look for the rope... then you'll be in the backyard area and the tower... which is the next thing to figure out... (hint: go to the look out tower and lean out the window...)

That secret tunnel is the one Montague used to escape to his tower... and he locked the last door so you won't be able to open it till you get into the tower.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 21st Oct 2011 at 16:58.

Thwark

played Embrace the Enemy earlier today.

Excellent excellent mission. Congrats on another fine one. I really enjoyed The Library, and am going to be downloading Bloodstone prison very soon.

------------------
    "'No reason to get excited,' the Thief he kindly spoke."
    Bob Dylan

Nightwalker

I just finished Embracing the Enemy, and it's great! Thank you so much. I played it on Hard the first time round, so now I can go back and enjoy it again on Expert. Oh, and a slightly late "Happy Birthday".

No_Coke_Pepsi

I have been unable to download the thing! It's been one snag after another.

But now that it's up on 'the circle' I should be able to get it.

ThiefinRain

Another late happy birthday, kfgecko

Keeper Hellzon

Durn, forgot to congratulate him before. Well, happy Birthday to you, KFG.

kfgecko

ETE FAQ will be made available after Christmas...

And remember... There's always a reasonable way to sneak past all AI's... even the ballroom. (hint: let all the flowers be your "shield")

MissyH

Great mission Gecko!! I loved your other ones too! Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year (at least I got it in before one of the holidays!!).

I found everything but the diary of the little girl. Perhaps a hint, at least what part of the house it's in??

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to your next mission.

No_Coke_Pepsi

Mr. Gecko, Sir!

I just finished playing Embrace the Enemy twice: Once in 'Sandman' mode, and finally in 'Sneak' mode, and it was a truly impressive effort.

I am very impressed how you were able to infuse a sense of dramatic confrontation into the story, not once but twice. In that particular, I was disappointed in the LGS Thief 2 missions like Blackmail, where I was eager for a confrontation with Truart, which never happened.

Great work, and I hope that the Thief 3 project either hires you -- if that is your wish -- or that they are able to capture your dramatic flair!

Dew-Drop

A brilliant mission indeed. I say it ranks right up there in top 5% with Benny's Dead.
    The story and the things you can do in the game (NiCe MoUse!) really go above par of the Thief 2 missions. Gotta love dat!

kfgecko

Originally posted by MissyH:
    I found everything but the diary of the little girl. Perhaps a hint, at least what part of the house it's in??
    Although originally present in the beta, this text was removed (along with another one) because of potential offense to people due to the subject matter. Although it was meant to make the player hate Montague even more (which it did) it was quite possibly too strong a subject for this scope, so it was removed. I forgot to remove the book text file in the zip, but I guess it allows people to get more background info.

So in short, there's no book to find.

I hope you enjoyed the mission...

taff

Emdrace is the best FM to be made yet. Excellent work Gecko

kfgecko

Embracing the Enemy (ETE) FAQ now available

The Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) is now available for Embracing the Enemy (ETE) at: http://kfgecko.homestead.com/embracefaq.html

This will spoil your experience with the mission, so use with discretion!

------------------
    My Thief 2 mission: Embracing the Enemy
    My Thief 1 missions: Bloodstone Prison (rate it!) and The Library (rate it!)

"And dost the blackjack say to the knoggin, 'be still, for I shall bonk you?'
    Nay! 'Tis the allies of darkness and surprise that belet club meet skull for glorious bonkitude."

- Tennents of the Master Bonker

No_Coke_Pepsi

Thank you, kfgecko! For the FAQ, but especially for the mission itself!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast