TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ties That Bind and your feedback appreciated!

The Ties That Bind and your feedback appreciated!

I was curious to know what people liked or disliked about it.

I setup Frobber's frobs display case so that the frobs inside couldn't be picked up until the glass was broken or it was unlocked. I was quite proud of that. It took many, many tries to get it right and I finally succeeded, I think. Did anyone find a way to "mess up" that setup? I couldn't but thought somebody else cleverer that myself could foul it up.

Were there any places that were too difficult? I know the spider objective displayed before it was supposed to, but did anyone NOT find it in the game?

I wanted to know what people thought about the possessed doll and the teleport traps I used to set all that up. Did they work for everyone?

Anything else you'd like to comment on would be just fine too. Thanks for playing it!

Depending on the response to this thread I might "fix" TTB, but it's just one little line in a text file...........

EDIT

DML loot fix - see here

Hit Deity I absolutley loved this mission (I voted for it in two of the categories).

Yes the objectives were odd, but absolutley forgiivable (That said can we have an updated version with the objectives sorted out.)

Favorite bit was the poltergeist/possessed doll bit, that was so much fun and worked really well.

All in all a great mission, with fantastic use of space (oh darn, given away one of the catagories I voted for!)

The version at the Keep is already updated with correct objectives (I took the liberty last week)
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Good job there Komag.

HD, this was one of my favorites and I honestly thought that this one or Alchemist would win. I loved all the different shops/homes that each contained their own stories and jokes. The one-fish-two-fish got me laughing pretty hard. And the posessed doll had a little tension building up inside me. After killing the doll I reloaded and left a piece of food by the door and then completed all the teleports and left w/o killing the doll so that it could escape on its own if it wished, a true thief doesn't kill
    All the keeper stuff was great, although it took me forever to find the spider. I knew there had to be a secret book somewhere but it had to search and search before finding the right place.
    Good job on the frobs and their unfrobability under the glass. I know how little things like that can actually be very hard to set up.
    All-in-all a great mission!

Thanks Komag!

(Just wish you had told me so I wasn't worrying about it!)

HD, when it came time to decide which mission was "most funny" there was no question in my mind! I LOL'ed more times which playing The Ties That Bind than I have in probably years . I'm sure the humor was lost on many taffers, but it was just to my liking (loving!) and I thoroughly enjoyed myself while playing

Good! Glad to see I'm not taken for an inane fool (sometimes).

I really had fun with it and liked coming up with things like this:

Black Dragon's Acid
    in Rubber-Lined Tin

Cures Jock Itch - Guaranteed!

(Some slight pain involved.)
    Silly, yet practical. Actually there are things like that in the pharmaceuticals trade and it wasn't that hard to come up with a lot of them.

And I've actually seen sillier laws enacted in the real world Pharmacy business:

Apothecary Rules And Regulations

Pursuant to City Code 185Ac.8.a1 - All apothecaries shall keep and maintain at least one bottle of Ogres' Bottom Balm in light of the recent tragic events that befell Bill Hufstedtler who had his arms ripped off when Blorg became irate when told the Apothecary could order his balm and have it in two weeks.
    Cheers guy!! There will be more one day!

i thought it was funny and well done, don't remember a doll being possessed though, I did get in the top floor of the possessed house and the door slammed and I couldn't get out so I reloaded and didn't go back in.

Think I might've missed the spider thing too.

i did like it though, and might have to try again.

Once you go into the far room it triggers a Laughing ambient and a scroll is teleported onto the couch in the firs room. You're supposed to be a little confused (that's what a Puzzle's supposed to do to you) and you were supposed to pick up that scroll and when you did, another scroll appeared elsewhere. Finally the last scroll told you that if you would help her escape this tortured imprisonment she would help you escape. You weren't actually killing anything, just releasing her imprisoned soul from the little doll that a shaman bound her to to save her from a house fire a long time ago. I thought it was a good story. Sorry so many people missed it and reloaded. I thought you guys were made of sterner stuff than that!!!

Did anyone remember the scream in the room with the flashling lights where it came from? From Iron Maiden's The Prisoner......mwhahahahahahaha! I am not a number, I am a free man! who cares?
    Last edited by Hit Deity; 10th Feb 2002 at 13:27.

I liked the doll sequence, very creepy and well done!

i knew its was maiden !!!
    I recongnized that laugh hehehehe good choice!
    i likes that mission a lot !
    ill replay it because it was the first i played so i don,t remember everything !
    but i like it , it made me laugh and guess

I thought this was a good one. Very funny! The ledge/opening door was nice and creepy. At first, I gave up and reloaded too. I thought I was stuck. Then HD told me there were three notes on TEG, so I played it again and waited. I think the reason many gave up and reloaded was the time delay of the notes being teleported. They seemed to take quite a while. In that small a space, running back and forth a few times doesn't take too long, and you figure nothing's going to happen. If they could be timed so that when you're finished reading the one scroll, the next one's already there, that might help with the confusion. I had a bit of a hard time finding the ladder that leads up from the sewer, too. When I finally found it, I felt d'Uh. Hard in the dark to find. The target was a blast. Did everyone try the target? Get gradually more agressive with it. It's funny! Even though no one noticed the frob case, that is a compliment. It was natural and realistic, so it went unnoticed. The only time stuff like that is noticeable is when you are able to grab stuff through a case or window, because it's not natural. Good job, Hit. So much of this mission was hysterical, but I wonder. The serious book in the Keepers library up high. Just a change of pace, or is there a real Maria? It was sort of sad. This was one of my favourite missions. I like your old one too. Escape From Blackstone Crypt. That's yours too, right?

I didn't like the keeper voices. Maybe make them a little less ... hammery?

I'd have liked a decent turn-offable ceiling light in the room with the cheese and soap, so I could lure down the zombie and let it see the prey.
    Exhalted Kumquat of the Guild of Bolt Croppers
    "To steal everything that IS bolted down"
    I'll taff your ears off

Sadly, Maria was a girl I worked with for several years and she was a good friend of mine.

She was murdered in cold blood on 12/1/96 on her front lawn when she came home from church that night. The memory of her beautiful face lying in her casket will haunt my dreams forever. She was a sweet, innocent person incapable of saying bad about anyone, and she just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Life sucks that way. 12/1 is a bad day for me every year, and I still see her Mom from time to time.

But on to lighter stuff: The "Keepers" were actually Hammer Guards I re-modeled to Keepers. Nothing fancy, I just added a Shape > ModelName: Keeper (or something similar) and let it go at that; all I had time for. So that's why they sounded exactly like Hammers they were Hammers!

The scrolls appear instantly for me, it's just you have to hunt for a little bit for the first one because it's not right in front of your face! I think everyone was expecting there to be major bugs in these contest FMs and saw stuff that wasn't really there! I mean, you guys have solved trickier riddles/puzzles than that, right? Calendra's, Inverted Manse, Raid On Washout Central, all much harder than mine.....

I still haven't gotten an aknowledgement from frobber for putting him in a mission! Oh, well, he's famous so he's got better things to attend to I'm sure.

Don't worry, I'll be back to my cheery self again soon....

That sequence worked perfectly for me too, very well done!

Oh Hit, that is so sad. I'm sorry. I thought when I read it that it sounded like the truth, not just made up. Murders are so rare in the less populated areas of Canada, I don't know of anyone personally who has been murdered, so honestly, I can't imagine what it must feel like to have someone you care for stolen from your life like that. When I frobbed that book and read it though, I could tell some true sadness was there. That's why I asked about it. Even after all these years. My heart goes out to you, buddy.

I will play again and see about the teleported notes. It's probably just me being impatient.

Good job! Good mission!

By the way, I didn't notice the frobs but I did notice the chest with the wine.

Sorry about Maria.
    I'll taff your ears off

Thanks, guys, she's in a much better place than this world could ever be.....but in the meantime...

The wine in the chest was tricky too, but I finally got it to look right without having to mess with short pick distances and being able to grab stuff through locked safe doors or locked case windows. I had seen those details overlooked in so many missions, and I decided to make them right in this one. I think I succeeded....

What I was referring to is that I think the safe with the wine appears when you slash the banner? True?
    I'll taff your ears off

I cannot find the"some good wine"

Hi, I'm living in Tokyo,Japan.I've been enjoying the Thief Series from last Novemver.
    My first experiense was Thief2. That disc was additional to Sound Blaster Boad.
    After I finished Thief2, I got a Thief1 from the internet aouction and enjoyed it.
    Now, I found the this forum and enjoying many ThiefFM.
    I appreciate for all FM editors.

But I'm now wondering for very long time.I cannot find "some good wine".
    Where is that? Please help me!

Go into the Keeper's office with the grandfather clock and the banner close by.....slash the banner. Just look around (and up) for the key....

Yes, Ekim, the safe appears after the banner is slashed. In testing, early on, it happened instantaneously and after the level started gaining in size, the time lag became more noticeable. I left it in because there was no other way that I could find at the time that would allow the safe to only be opened after the banner was slashed.

Which brings me to a point that I think has been discussed, but just in case....

I personally don't like it when I'm able to open something or pick up an object behind a banner, but I guess that would be more realistic. But in the Thief world where we can't really manipulate the banners ingame in any way, I think it's a better compromise to not be able to affect something behind a banner, or be able to hear the 'click' of a locked safe when all I can see is a banner. I was just wondering what others thought of it......?

this was one of my favourites in the contest..i really enjoyed it, was great fun. loved that spooky doll bit! the only thing that comes to mind as far as criticism (if it can even be called that) is with the ladders outside...if you flip that switch when you're up on the catwalk and then somehow return to the ground without putting the ladder back down, it's pretty hard to get back up there (locks maybe could be usable again depending on that switch?), but that's so minor (and don't know why i flipped that switch to begin with, ha).
    and i'm pretty sure i must have cheated getting into the keeper's place..ahh..excitement at so many new fms at once kills patience
    i'll have to go play it again now
    and yes, i hate it when something that's behind or inside any other object can be gotten without first opening or removing said blocking object...great job with that!

Originally posted by Hit Deity
    I personally don't like it when I'm able to open something or pick up an object behind a banner, but I guess that would be more realistic. But in the Thief world where we can't really manipulate the banners ingame in any way, I think it's a better compromise to not be able to affect something behind a banner, or be able to hear the 'click' of a locked safe when all I can see is a banner. I was just wondering what others thought of it......?
    It almost feels like a "cheat" to me, just like the times when you can pick something out of a safe before opening. (Although in other ways it can be viewed as just another one of those quirks which makes thief what it is!?!)

There was an earlier thread, a thief and his habits, in which quite a few of us admited to a (dare I say it) almost pathological need to slash banners. Due to the fact that I am banner slashing obssessed (!!!!) I don't tend to miss things behind banners.

set rant_mode 1

The whole hiding stuff behind banners is getting kinda old. I think we should move on.

I'm also obsessed with slashing every banner I can see, but I'm starting to get rid of that habit. To be honest, if there's something behind a banner, well, I really don't care. It's old, people. Find better hiding places.

As a side note, I haven't read this thread completely, nor do I remember if there was anything hidden behind banners in The Ties That Bind. Actually, this whole post is rather off-topic.

NO, actually, it's On-Topic, as I asked for feedback on The Ties That Bind. And thanks for the answers people.

I put the banner in because people were probably overlooking them again and I thought it might trip some folks up....guess it worked. Or maybe not.

raetsel: I don't understand......the catwalk near the Keeper place: you can just use a rope arrow to get back up again; and the catwalk near the residences: you can climb up on the sewer lid (when it's open) and jump and grab the lever if you need to get back up there. (OK, that part was a little hard, but that's what Thief is supposed to be.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast