TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Elevator Mission T1 V1 (Released Dec. 25 2000)

Ghost

Pretty well stuck

[Anyone]

I'm at a definite stuck point here....

(Big spoiler block follows... sorry!)

spoiler:
    I can't find the "sword key," which I understand I need to find the sword. I've been playing blackjack only for a long time!

I got into the moving cloud area; into the room you have to jump into from the cloud (I flipped the switch at the top of the cloud's track). I got the chapel key, and I noticed a switch that shuts the door. But down the elevator is the haunt, whom I can't kill with just a blackjack.

There's a switch down there, and I threw it... but I didn't throw the door-shutting switch above, because I have no way to get past the haunt. (I tried running past him, but he pursued me everywhere I went, finally catching up with me and killing me.)

I went into the chapel itself, got all the way down into the tunnels with the Crayman, killed the two fire elementals, BJed the guard (after picking his training-area key), and ran past the now loose Crayman and out into the chapel again. I BJed the guy in the little window-room inside the chapel itself (and of course got into the other room in the chapel and pushed the button, else I couldn't have gotten into the red caves).

I think I'm supposed to go into the room you have to jump into, throw the switch that locks the door, then go down the elevator and somehow kill the haunt; but without a sword, I don't see how I can do this.

Help!

Dafydd

Sorry Dafydd, I do not remember how to find the sword. It has been a very long time. I searched the Eidos forum where I think I posted it, and it is gone. I can tell you this: it is not necessary to BJ a haunt. It is a tricky series of switches. I am pretty sure it is somewhere on the other side (from the beginning) of the cloud platforms. Below are a set of spoilers for tricky bits that may or may not have anything to do with the sword. Read with caution. Sorry if this is overkill.
    spoiler:
    I remember one switch that was extremely difficult to find, but I am not sure that it leads to the sword. There are two chapels. The first one is easy to find and near the cloud platforms. It is gray in color. The second one is farther back and more yellow in color. The second one is entered from above. Before that entrance, there is a small office. Behind a desk in that office near a lamp, as I recall, is a switch. That permits you to proceed past that point. Again, I don't remember if that has anything to do with the sword.
    spoiler:
    Another area is in a large room (library?) near the jail cells. Hitting a switch somewhere slides an altar like thing allowing you to go below the room.
    spoiler:
    Another area is a room with some pedestals. You need to weight them down or stand on them to run through a gate. That leads somewhere of interest.

Ghost

#&$&*%&#!

[Folks]

Yeesh, I really need help. Whatever happened to Nightwalker? Where did she go? She isn't answering e-mail, either.

Can somebody PLEASE tell me how to get the sword key? I just can't find it. I have an inkling it's in some fireplace with a secret compartment or somesuch, but where? Which one? How do I open it?

I went all the way through the stupid Haunt House, even managed to knock out the Crayman down by the tunnel, but I never found any Hand of Glory. I don't even know if that's where it's supposed to be.

spoiler:
    But since I flipped the alarm switch which (I think) opens up the other door in the training area, but also turns on all the lights in the Haunt area, I'm loathe to try to sneak back. Unless maybe the lights go off again.

In any case, it's murder getting to that cell where you go down to the Crayman's area.

Maybe I have a savegame from while I was down there? I could rummage around to see if there is a Hand of Glory.

EDIT: I had a savegame where the blue Crayman was. I searched all around but didn't find any Hand of Glory. Grrrr.

I got all the way to getting the demon key and using it to open the doors, but I haven't managed to knock off even a single objective. This is ridiculous.

Hello? Anybody here? Help!

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 10th Sep 2003 at 06:28.

For some strange reason I'm beginning to like this FM. I managed to blackjack a haunt to death, that's a first

Dafydd, here's how you get the sword key:
    spoiler:
    As soon as you have both lockpicks, you can open a door where an extremely fast guard is standing in front of it at the end of a long tile floor corridor. (It's close to where you get out after you've found the first lockpick). You'll get to a room with a statue where you can hear Viktoria giggle. In front of that statue is a pedestal you can stand upon to lower it. A door will open and if you run to it while jumping, you'll be fast enough to get inside before it closes again. Behind it is a bug beast that can easily be blackjacked. The Sword Key is in the fountain in that room. Then you just have to locate two switches in the dark to relight the room and reopen the door.

Ghost

Thanks, Eshaktaar...

[Eshaktaar]

...At least it's something to try. I have some flashbombs, so I'll use one on the guard you mentioned and see what happens. (Before I had them, I had tried everything in the world to knock him off but was unsuccessful.)

Dafydd

Ghost

All right, got the sword...

...now what?

[Eshaktaar, or anybody]

Okay, I managed to get the sword. Finally. (I'm still wondering why Garrett can't just pry a sword from the unconscious fingers of someone he's blackjacked. Not the Sword of Constantine, but it's better than a sock full of quarters, or whatever he uses.)

By the way, I discovered something. In spoiler mode:

spoiler:
    You can't toss a body on the altar that opens the door to the sword key; I tried repeatedly. BUT -- you can pick up the body of the nearby swordsman, jump on the altar (or jump on and then pick up the body, whichever is easiest), look directly down at your feet, and drop the body; it will stay on the altar.

However, it's not sufficient. Maybe Garrett has been putting on weight? So I went and got the first guard, the one at the end of the long corridor of tiles, and jumped on the altar again; I dropped this second body on, and that was enough for the altar to stay down!

That meant that after I snuck in and coshed the bugbeast, grabbing the sword key, I didn't have to grope in the dark; I could just point myself toward the previous room and dart out (remembering not to linger in the swarm of biting flies). I did go back and press both buttons, though, just in case they activated something later on.

So I was able to get the Sword of Constantine; and with it, I finally killed that haunt at the bottom of the elevator, who has aggravated me for hours. But what now? I gather that I should have already found the Hand of Glory, having already gone through the haunts' house... but I have no idea where it is.

I tried going back in, thinking maybe I could turn off the alarm and kill all the haunts; but it was too difficult. I could probably ghost back in, but only if I know there's something in there I still need (like the Hand).

I have opened the other door in the training area,

spoiler:
    ...and it leads to a big, red portal of some sort. I gather that's next -- after I get the Hand of Glory. But where's the Hand? I was down in the area with the Crayman, and I looked in all those circular indentations on the walls, but I didn't see anything. There's a tunnel down there that is blocked, and I can't get through it. If I follow the corridor, it leads to the Mages' Chapel (the yellow one)... I was through there and upstairs (using the teleporter), but I didn't find the hand, just the Demon key.

Still stuck, albeit a bit better off than before, as I have both a sword and the equivalent of a torch, if I need light.

Thanks,

Dafydd

Ghost

Forget it.

[Folks]

All right, this is the end. This is stupid.

I killed the two haunts in front of the big red portal thing. I step through, and wham, I'm in the middle of three haunts, all hacking away at me.

spoiler:
    Evidently, the only way to survive is to run like a ninny and jump onto a magical rope suspended over a zombie pit. I got to sneak slightly... just past the zombies (after picking up the key, which I only spotted by accident).

Sigh.

Am I the only one who thinks this FM is so far outside the Thief weltanschauung that it may as well be a different game? The only place I was really able (required) to sneak around was in the haunt's area (required because I didn't even have my sword yet). Most of the time I feel like a hired thug, running up and smashing everyone over the head.

It's still just grim determination: I'm going to at least finish this awful FM, just so I can say I finished it. But I am so sick of inexplicable buttons hidden inexplicably in shadows that themselves defy rational explication; I'm sick of the blackjack and the sword (I normally never use either); I'm sick of haunts; and I'm really getting sick of this senseless mission.

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 11th Sep 2003 at 07:50.

Ghost

Addendum

[Folks]

And I still don't have the Hand of Glory.

Dafydd

Dafydd, don't give up just take a day off. Nightwalker, Peter and I played this together a long time ago. It's always more fun that way and we helped each other. Now I love it but the first time NOT!! BTW, Nightwalker was on vacation so she may still be away.

Those 3 haunts through the portal,
    spoiler:
    I couldn't beat them so I out ran them. Get your rope arrow ready and run like **** down the hall to a chasm with wooden beams. Try to get an arrow in the beam and jump.

Hand of Glory was difficult for me to see and the first time I found it by accident. I didn't even know I had it until I was looking in my inventory for something. It is
    spoiler:
    This is difficult to describe. Go to the area where the ghost are up in a lawn area having a party. Some Haunts downstairs. You need to go down some steps on the right where one of the haunts was. There is a hallway with doors I think and an opening at the end. One room has stairs going down but I don't remember if that's a secret area or they are there when you go in the room. At the bottom is another small room. The Hand is hidden inside something and I clicked but never saw it until it was in inventory.
    Let me know if you need more. Now you made me want to play this again. LOL!!!

I just saw this thread and remembered where the sword was but not the key. It is really tough and if you make it you can play anything. LOL!!!
    Last edited by Hawklette; 11th Sep 2003 at 09:23.

Thiefmissions.com

It is beyond me why anyone would complain about this mission when so many of us have said not to play it unless you're a masochist. I mean, what did you expect? It's a nearly impossible, horribly frustrating hunt for buttons, switches and keys in a bunch of moderately well-constructed but entirely incongruous locations thrown together completely at random.

And it's somehow terribly addicting, isn't it?

Ghost
    [Epithumia]

It is beyond me why anyone would complain about this mission when so many of us have said not to play it unless you're a masochist.
    My complaint is not that it's hard or frustrating, Epithumia. My complaint is that it doesn't play like Thief.

A long, hard, often frustrating FM that I truly enjoyed was Ominous Bequest... because no matter how difficult it was -- and there were many times I was totally stuck and frustrated and needed help from the kind folks (mostly Eshaktaar, of course) in this and the Eidos forum -- what OB asked of me was thiefly skills. To play Ominous Bequest, you must sneak and skulk and inch your way forward, hide in the shadows, and as far as humanly possibly, avoid any contact with the AIs.

In fact, I ghosted it -- though I missed some of the loot and two of the secrets.

But Elevator basically plays like an arcade game, with the emphasis on backstabbing, knocking out everything in sight, and often running pell mell, in plain view, frantically trying to jump to a ladder or rope, where the AIs can't follow because of quirks in the Dark engine.

A great many rooms full of AIs don't allow sneaking; you have to knock them out, or even kill them -- often, in the early phase, by clubbing them to death, since you don't have the sword yet -- before you can pass through. This is more like Doom or Tomb Raider than Thief!

It does not play like I expect a Thief FM to play, like nearly all the other FMs I have played; indeed, like the original games themselves.

That is my complaint: not the difficulty, but the out-of-character anomality.

[Hawklette]

All right, I finally found the stupid hand.

spoiler:
    You have to go into the big, central room downstairs in the haunts' area; on the left side of the desk which the haunt was guarding is a button. Pushing that button opens a hatch in the floor; down a ladder there, you find a pickable vault. The Hand of Glory is inside, but you can only see it if you stand (not crouch) right next to the open vault.

Yeesh. Now I get to go back to the portal thing and do it all over again.

Thanks,

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 11th Sep 2003 at 22:56.

Ghost

Everything but the Keeper. Sigh.

[Epithumia]

All right, I have all the objectives but the Keeper. I'm in the balcony area, but there are two mages here that I can't seem to get around.

spoiler:
    I went through the room with the guard looking through the window (lever back in the shadows behind him) up to the balcony. From there, I hopped down to the courtyard below... this is all to the left of the two mages, as viewed from the now open main door. On that side, I knocked out a monkey-man and got the Scepter, then went up the stairs on that side and got a couple more rope arrows.

But I can't seem to get past the mages to get to the other side. There is a door directly opposite the door that led me up to the balcony, looking like it would lead me to the other side; but it won't open or even light up; it's obviously opened by a switch somewhere that I'm not seeing.

There is also an area behind a cage, before you get to the rooms. I can see two switches there, but I can't reach them. And I notice a peculiarly light square in the bottom of the fountain, but I can't open it.

Finally, back at the zombie pit, is there anything on the other side of it? Should I go back and rope-arrow up out of the pit on the far side, or is that a waste of time?

Thanks; I think I'm near the end, but maybe not: I haven't even gotten to the long swim yet.

Dafydd

Due to the recent reemergence of this mission I thought I'd give it a whack (pun intended).

I've reached the point where
    spoiler:
    you can drop through the floor of the hallway beside the kitchen but if I do this I'm faced with blank doors (unopenable) and an invisible table.

Obviously I've missed a button or I've misunderstood previous posts. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

This is a sick mission but fun anyway.

Kimper

Thiefmissions.com

Invisible anything usually indicates that you're trying to run a Thief Gold mission (which Elevator is) on Thief 1.

Epithumia:

I'm aware of that as I've played other Thief Gold missions successfully.

Is the Elevator mission finishable using Thief 1 (Gold patch installed) and if so, what am I missing re: above post?

Thanks

Kimper

Ghost

Impossible haunt

[Folks]

I'm right near the very end... and I'm at the worst impasse yet. If I can't defeat this stupid haunt, I'll have to throw in the towel -- after over eleven hours of gametime and at least three times that in real time!

spoiler:
    This is after the long swim, after getting the End of the Key, after teleporting back inside the cage and opening it, which also opens the doors at the far side of the zombie pit.

Passing through them, I find a room with a guard in shadow who is easily knocked out -- and a guard in the light who never attacks or even fights back -- but who has infinite hit points. I hit him at least fifty times, spilling much blood; but aside from him screaming (including "oh, this is an absolute disaster!" which is a new one on me), he never dropped. When I stopped hitting him, he just casually walked back to his place. He never seemed to see me at all.

Going into the rooms on either side, I scooped up a couple of fire arrows and flipped a switch, turning on a light. Then I passed through a one-way cage into a tile corridor. This corridor makes a left turn, and there is a haunt before an unfrobbable door at the other end.

This haunt also seems to have infinite hit points: at least, I shot him with two fire arrows (from cover), then threw a flash bomb and ran up and gave him a big overhand from behind with Constantine's Sword, then hit him at least fifteen times from behind -- yet he still managed to turn around and kill me with two or three strokes.

I tried reloading to before I saw him, then sneaking up on him; but no matter how slowly I move, and no matter how long I stop when temporarily behind a pillar (in one case, more than thirty minutes of gametime), before I get near enough to backstab him, he spots me and charges, killing me instantly.

I tried shooting him with the fire arrows, then waiting twenty minutes out of sight, then sneaking up on him; at the same point, he spotted me... oddly, he first doubled over with pain for a second and then charged at me, killing me.

There is too much light from the torches and an overhead light, but I haven't found any water arrows or switches to turn them off. I even reloaded and turned off the lightswitch in the earlier room before proceeding, but it did nothing. There is no wood for a rope arrow to climb up out of his reach. You can't even run back through the cage, as it appears to be one way only. I don't have a mine; but if two fire arrows and an overhead smash didn't kill him, I doubt a mine would add much to the pot.

In any event, if killing him doesn't open the unfrobbable doors behind him, I have no idea how to proceed anyway.

Anybody have any ideas? So far, people trying to remember what they did have suggested either just "sneak past him" (which appears impossible) or "try to kill him," which appears equally impossible.

Thanks,

Dafydd

dafydd,

I played your saved game and killed the haunt three times. I placed a blow by blow description on the Eidos forum. Check it out here. (Go to end of thread.)

Ghost

Thanks, Peter

[Smithpd]

Thanks to your suggestion (noting the sliver of shadow extending from the pillar to the wall), I was able to get behind the haunt and backstab it; I managed to stay behind it while hacking away for a while, maybe twenty-five whacks, and it finally dropped.

I really didn't like this FM: it just didn't have the look or feel of Thief to me.

FWIW, here were my final stats:

Loot: 2553 out of 2920

Pockets: 8 out of 10

Locks: 26

Backstabs: 97 (??) (I guess it counts every blow from behind as a backstab)

KOs: 77

Damage dealt: 1695

~ taken: 18, healing 16

Kills: 20 (haunts & ghosts)

Bodies discovered: 7

It's those middle stats that tell the whole story of why I didn't like this FM: ninety-seven backstabs, seventy-seven blackjacks, and 1695 damage dealt. As I mentioned to Nightwalker, I felt like I was playing Doom or Quake, not Thief.

I play Thief because I like sneaking and hiding and not being seen. This episode was an "anti-Thief" mission, in my opinion.

Dafydd

Well, yes, but you must use thiefly skills in many places to position yourself well, as you found out at the end. Apart from the large number of tricky buttons (which you did not mention as a problem), I enjoyed it a lot. But then, I am a Doom head and enjoy all those games. It does not bother me when a designer tries something different. JIS is always trying something different. In this mission it was switches and dealing with almost no resources.

If you want to give JIS another chance, try Mine shock or Main shock T2 (same mission, I think), which has a very complicated maze and no weapons other than a few mines, so you must sneak through most of it.

And then there is UFO. The idea there is that you have to find 100% of the loot to succeed, but the mission can be ghosted without too much difficulty. The loot is very difficult to find, however, and you will no-doubt be tearing your hair out in that one as well. I did make a loot list, however, which I think is posted at Cheap Thief Downloads.

And UndeadLand. The concept there is to kill undead with a blackjack and nothing else. It's easy and fun, but nobody here can figure out what the last objective is.

Thread Necromancy Warning: The post you're replying to is more than 30 days old.

Not a question but I would just like to verify that Expert/Samurai is indeed achievable as I've just done so myself My mission time was only 2:02:35 my first time through Very good mission if you ask me. Now I feel like building something like it
    spoiler:
    The breath potion is apparently in the same place in all 3 difficultys. Hidden in COMPLETE dark where the shadow is being cast by the pillar of the first room after your initial dive.

Playing V1 of Elevator Mission. I would like a hint for the objective "Investigate the whereabouts of Keeper".

The three other objectives are completed (Constantine's sword, Gilmo's scepter and The Hand of Glory). I got an item called "Key" in the inventory which looks like the KeeperKey.

The last thing I did was to swim through underwater tunnels accessible via a well to the east of where I got Gilmo's scepter: the infamous breathing potions hidden in a wooden chest in total darkness underwater segment. One tunnel lead to a dead end that looked like a large drain guarded by a single apebeast. Another tunnel led to a teleporter near some frogbeasts. The teleporter sent me into a room with flashing lights and two statues. Inside were a button, a lock and a lever. The button opened the gate to the room. I have no key for the lock. I pulled the lever and then searched pretty much the whole mission again, but I don't know what it did.

Have you got the 'End of the Key'? You'll find it on a dead body in the Ratman area at the end of one of the tunnels in the underwater area.

That key unlocks the lockbox in the teleport room which opens the portcullis leading the the end rooms

Go back to the Pit with the Dead Burrick, where you found the Lost Article key and rope arrow up to the wooden platform furthest from the dead burrick. That will take you to the end room where you'll find the answer to your first question.

If you need further help check this walkthrough for more detailed info.

Thank you. It was indeed the 'End of the Key' I was missing. It looks like I ran into a bug: Early into the mission, I noticed bodies were mysteriously piling up in the locations of the floating round platforms. It was AI I had knocked out or killed earlier, but I had not put them there. The mission teleported them from areas across the whole mission. When you mentioned the 'End of the Key' is on a corpse in the underwater maze, I realized what had happened: The bug also affected bodies in areas I had not yet been in. So I checked the body pile near a floating platform and sure enough, the corpse with the 'End of the Key' was in there.

Finished on Sushi in 3 hours 47 minutes with 2553 of 2920 total loot. Hints needed: #1 Lever hidden in total darkness in the kitchen, to the right of the fireplace. #2 Body with 'End of the Key' had teleported to floating platform in training place due to a bug. Needed hint from the forums to realize what had happened.

Elevator Mission is often described as one of the most difficult T1 fan missions. Apart some tricky situations at the beginning, before I got the sword and the lockpicks, I did not think the mission was too difficult. The challenge lies more in the multitude of buttons and levers: It is easy to miss one and after activating them, sometimes you have to search for a while until you find the secret door they opened in a completely different section of the map. This is a hallmark of JIS missions. The resulting amount of backtracking you have to do will be off-putting to some players. My suggestion is you keep a log of every unopened door and lock in previous areas to reduce the time you spend wandering around, wondering what you missed.

As with all JIS missions, there is no story and there are no characters to be invested in.

I noticed you can pick up a chair above the room with the slot machines. This is the first movable chair in a T1 fan mission I remember.

There are some nice custom textures: haunts with glowing eyes, a mage with an exposed skull, several guards and mages in purple robes.

Looking forward to repeating the experience in Elevator Mission T1 V2.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Difficulty in Elevator Mission depends on the version. The old version is harder than the new version 2.0 imho.

New Version 2.0 is brighter than the old version and has some different areas.
    https://thiefmissions.com/m/Elevator

I’m playing New Version 2.0, which only has one difficulty setting: Normal. I have the sword and the Hand of Glory, and that leaves only two other objectives (so far): go to the Goal point, and get GilmoScepter. I have both lockpicks, and these keys: Kitchen, Sword, Chapel, Seal, Training place, and Haunt’s key. And I’m stuck. Among other things, there is a lock behind a painting in a room with a female haunt, which I cannot open. It may open a double silver door which she and another haunt, in a guard post opposite her which has a button that moves the painting, seem to be guarding. Also, there is a sewer hatch in one of the 3 cells near where the Hand of Glory is found, which I also cannot open. Can anyone help please?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast