TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preview: Hammerite Deathmatch - New Screenie 10/21

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

Preview: Hammerite Deathmatch - New Screenie 10/21

This mission has come about in just the last week or so, and I never expected to make it right now, but there ya go. It started when Brother Renault asked me why I was abandoning Circulation of Shadows because he thought it was nearly complete. I told him it wasn't, but then realized that the map would make a good deathmatch mission. I had had this idea for a few months to see how many features of typical FPS deathmatch mode I could get working in Thief.

I plan for there to be two missions included - the first is solo deathmatch where it's you against everybody else, while the second is team deathmatch where the team left standing when the others have used up all their lives is the winner.

Some things I have working so far:
    • Player respawning - when you "die" the mission doesn't end, instead things go black for 10 seconds, and then you come "back to life" at your spawn point.
    • AI respawing - has been done before, but I managed to get the corpses to fade out instead of just blinking out. John D.'s Fanatics Arena is one example with disappearing corpses that blink out.
    • Onscreen reporting of killer and victim whenever anyone (player or AI) dies. This has taken me and NV working together (well OK, mostly it was his ingenuity) for 3 days straight but we have it now.
    • Coloured glowing spawn points based on Sliptip's awesome space diamond model from Kill Factory 2.
    • A nifty new weapon that you have to find amidst the chaos.

The solo mission should enter beta in a few days.
    And finally, the inevitable screenshot (clicky to enlarge):

Last edited by Yandros; 21st Oct 2007 at 16:33.
    Death's Cold Embrace - Info and screenshots

This is unreal. I can't wait for the new weapon and look at this map.
    Maybe the new era begins

Ah ha! I was wondering what was happening with this - I'm looking forward to it. I saw bits and pieces of the player re-spawning discussion on the editors guild. I'm really curious to see it in action.

NV and I spent about four days getting the onscreen text working - respawning was easy by comparison.

I just came up with another new weapon tonight, one I can't believe no one has thought to make before.

A salvaged bot cannon? No wait... A hammer-launcher!!!

An exploding toilet roll?

A hand-grenade?

Chainsaw?

AWSOME!!!

Holy Christ!!! just like quake 3 and unreal tournament , I canŽt wait to play this one, probably iŽll use this game type in one of my future q3 missions.

Thanks Yandros i love FPS

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Wolf View Post
    A salvaged bot cannon? No wait... A hammer-launcher!!!
    Hey, throwable hammers would be fun! I may add that in too...

It should be Thief-like mission, but hee .... one can't stop Taffers for getting creative ...

.... although I'm not sure I'll like it.
    Let's see it first!

It will be a T2 FM ?????!!!!!!! I hope?

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Yes, it's T2. And I know some people won't like this mission, it won't be their cup of tea, and that's OK - I'm doing it more as a challenge and a learning exercise than anything else. I've learned more about scripting and Dromed from NV in the last week than I did in the previous 6 months.
    Last edited by Yandros; 23rd Aug 2007 at 00:10. Reason: kan't speel

I cant wait for this FM

Great!

Rust gas grenades?

Nope. First I made a special object which is well hidden and allows you to shoot projectiles from inventory (not a weapon slot) but had a limited number of uses. Then, I decided that simply having some more mundane weapons you could throw during at enemies might be cool, so I leveraged the system I already had in place (compliments of Eshaktaar) and now have throwable hammers (that spin when you throw them) and sawblades. I'll post screenies soon - I want to create FX for a shower of sparks for when the sawblade hits something first. I will probably create a third throwable weapon too, so if anyone has suggestions let me hear 'em.

At first I just used the T1 hammer spell for the thrown hammer, and it was really cool - I felt like a Hammer priest. I may have to make a mission someday where you have numerous spells at your disposal. The trick would be to put them into the weapon slots and have appropriate delays between firings - that would be the trade off for unlimited ammo.

SNOWBALLS THAT FREEZE THE ENEMY!

SNOWBALLS THAT FREEZE THE ENEMY!
    Whom you can then shatter into a thousand pieces aka Duke Nukem

A throwing knife?
    Looks very nice but isn't it a little unrealistic that you can run after it and almost catch it up?

Cinematic effect?

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    my molotovs from dead of winter would be nice to have as well, those things got high marks from the players.

You can use the missiles from KF2 if you want - they got low marks from the players, but I bet they'd still be fun lol

I'm trying to use mundane items that you might expect to find just laying around a Hammer compound. Molotovs perhaps, missiles probably not. But the sawblades are probably stretching that (you might find a couple but not many).

Otto, check your PM and then ignore most of it till later tonight...

Yay, the hammers are in Now what else might one find "just lying around" a Hammerite compound? Hmmm... given how lazy the Hammers can be about removing dead prisoners from their cells, maybe there can be one or two rotting zombie heads that explode into a swarm of insects when thrown (like the bugbeast attack)?

That's a disgustingly morbid idea -- I love it.

Yandros, any ETA on the beta? I'll almost certainly be free for it, my muse is letting me deal with some R/L stuff before putting a gun to my head and making me write, so I should be free for a week or so. Besides that, a free for all mass murder FM would sit quite well with me right now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast