TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Calendra's Legacy Mission 1: A Meeting With Basso (questions)

I'm not sure what you mean about the T2 patch. I'm not much good at tech stuff. Do you mean you have 2 seperate installations of T2?? I didn't even know you could do that.

Sharga -
    spoiler:
    You can ghost the tomb and get all of the loot, including the rubies out of the eyes. I laid a moss arrow down over the threshold of the room (I don't know if that is necessary or not, but it worked for me.) Then jump over and into the room BUT DON'T LOOK AT THE SKULL!. Keep your eyes on the floor, go to the right, face the wall and keep your eyes on the floor. Crouch and move slowly down the wall and down the side until you are just past the center altar that the skull sits on. Don't go too far back. If you get too close to the little boulder in the back corner, he alerts. Then carefully pick up all the loot. Be careful not to touch the bone that highlights on the altar. That alerts him. Then move around front, get the rest of the loot, including the ruby eyes and leave. You have to go back out the way you came in, but you have lots of cash to start the next level.

I don't like the fact that the mission ends before you get in enough hits to destroy the skull. That shouldn't happen. Check and make sure you're running a patched game just after you start Mission #2, then if you have to install the patch, it'll only set you back to the beginning of Mission #2.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 27th Feb 2012 at 11:34.

Thanks Nightwalker. I'll try that out tomorrow.

I spotted Mercedes in both places but I never thought of using a gas arrow, very clever.

I'm very sure that it's patched since the patch execute is sitting right in my thief folder. I doubt I would have downloaded it and never used it.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 27th Feb 2012 at 11:36.

Bug? Or just guards on speed?

I haven't seen anyone else having this trouble, so here goes

I've explored the east side of town, including going over the garden wall and into the house with the attic (where I found an invisibility potion). Went to Mercedes' loft and down to the docks and through the garden. Found the entrance to the tomb and to the sewers and decided that I'm ready to chat with Basso.

Despite having passed numerous guards and citizens without incident, whenever I go into the courtyard to talk to Basso the guards attack and the mission objective to keep undercover fails. I don't have a blackjack out and I'm walking normally - what else do they want?! Do I have to waste a perfectly good invisibility potion just because Basso is a moron and decided to meet me by two hyper aware guards?

Cheers!
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

Howie had that problem, but I'm not sure we ever figured out exactly what it was. You could try restarting, since you haven't done too much yet and go directly to Basso before you do anything else. The only other thing I can think of to ask is whether you are using a patched version of T2?? People who aren't seem to be running into some weird problems and objectives won't tick off in Mission #2.

Now for something weird. I'm replaying the mission pack on cat thief, and, of course, re-did the tomb. First time round I managed to get most of the stuff from the floating skull by:
    spoiler:
    dodging fireballs, as I couldn't seem to ghost it. I didn't get the skulls eyes however.

This time round I couldn't use that technique, unfortunately as

spoiler:
    I had less health, obviously, and I did take one or two hits first time round. Yet still I couldn't ghost it. So came up with a different way (which I don't think has been mentioned as of yet) I drank an invisibility potion. The skull still raised but no fireballs when I was invisible. Just enough time to get most of the stuff. The only thing I failed to get were the eyes again. Why? Because every time I frobbed them I crashed to desktop.

However, this is not a memory problem, I've got 512megs of the stuff and crashed nowhere else in the entire game!

After a couple of crashes I accepted my fate and just didn't steal the eyes... no crash.
    Last edited by Taliesin; 21st Apr 2002 at 13:52.

Originally posted by Nightwalker
    Howie had that problem, but I'm not sure we ever figured out exactly what it was. You could try restarting, since you haven't done too much yet and go directly to Basso before you do anything else. The only other thing I can think of to ask is whether you are using a patched version of T2?? People who aren't seem to be running into some weird problems and objectives won't tick off in Mission #2.
    My version is patched. Hmm... I ventured into the sewers a bit before meeting Basso - are the guards alerted due to stinky clothes?

Cheers!
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

Melissa- I had this exact same problem, but also something else.
    spoiler:
    If grab the loot and the skull notices me then when I return to the Old Widow everyone starts attacking me! In fact everyone im Murkbell attacks me, except the two guards standing at their posts! This is really strange. If I don't let the skull see me then everyone stays normal.

Good news: loading from a little earlier in the game solved the trouble with the guards.

I'd like to make a comment on the forced ghosting in this mission. It's just not my style. I'm a bean 'em and stack 'em sort of thief, mostly because I like to snoop around as thoroughly as I like without disturbance. This means that for the first time I am not playing a mission on the most difficult setting.

Further, even while playing on the "blackjack allowed" setting, the AI is hyper sensitive to the whole exposed as a thief thing. I climbed a vine to the top of the wall where the lever to control the drawbridge can be found. There is ONE guard up there, and I blackjacked her from a place where the lightgem is darkest. There is NO ONE to see her fall. Yet, the AI triggers a mission failure when I conk her on the head. Every time.

It's damn frustrating.

I don't suppose there's a way to turn this little "feature" off? it's spoiling my enjoyment of this otherwise very very cool mission.

Cheers!
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

Nope, there's no avoiding it. You can't blackjack anyone. It's because when you blackjack they become momentarily alert and it ends the mission. It's just a bug that you have to deal with.

I did manage to blackjack benny, but he's the only one. After a few failed attempts I gave up trying.

Mellisa and Sharga:

It is possible to bj AI in mission 1. I've played through on footpad and left several bodies in my wake and also on cat thief and left 2. The AI is very sensitive, however. If you make the meerest noise before bj, they become alert - mission ends. If they have seen you prior to bj, they are alert - mission ends. The same is true of pickpocketing.

spoiler:
    for example. The first time I played the mission, in footpad, I tried to pickpocket the garden gate key, from behind, after walking past the AI in full view. Mission ended. On reload, I hid in the shadows, waited for the AI to pass and then pick pocketed it without a problem.

spoiler:
    Incidently the two bj'd AI's in cat thief level were: the one patroling in the building over the garden wall, near Mercedes room, and the one with the health potion patroling the tile floor room with the sleeping guard outside. (A moss arrow goes a long way in the level!)

Exiting the tomb?

Originally posted by Nightwalker
    misanthropy -
    spoiler:
    You can reach the ladder if you put one of the boulders that fell up on top of the central altar and then stand on it to reach the ladder. If you don't know how to do this, then just pick up a boulder and climb up, then, while standing up on top of the altar close to the ladder, look straight down at your feet, drop the boulder and jump at the same time and you'll end up standing on top of it. Then you'll be high enough to reach the ladder.

You can also go back to the first hallway and to the pressure plate that set off the fire arrows. Go farther up the hall towards the way you came in. If you move slowly, you'll find another pressure plate in the floor. Drop the rock slab or a boulder from the tomb on it and go back to the rock that blocks the opening where you came in. It should now be open and you can exit the way you entered.
    Hello!

I've completed everything in the tomb (I ghosted around the skull), and now I can't exit. Retracing my steps only takes me as far as the four doors. I'd already triggered the West door (wanted to see where it went), and I already triggered the necklace (wanted the loot!). The book mentioned three times, so I assumed I was safe. Is there a third way out?

Cheers!
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

spoiler:
    The west door is the one that teleports you, right? Well just close it and open it again to get back to the start, and then you need to weigh down the first pressure plate with something I used the boulder from outside but I'm sure the LC brick also works, just remember not to step over the second pressure plate afterwards.

That button!

I finished mission 1 and have moved on, but I realized that I never tried something out in the tomb:

spoiler:
    If you look in the mouth of the trickster there's a long hallway and then a button. Has anyone pushed that button? If you did, what does it do?

And thank heavens for this community or I'd be driving my boyfriend absolutely bonkers over these things

Cheers!
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

A few people have noticed that button. I've never tried hitting it because you can't really see it while aiming an arrow. I figured it was just something that triggered the fire arrows and wasn't supposed to be seen, I could be wrong though.

where can i find the golden key to tomb as i have got the Silver crypt key and what does the pressure pad near the corpse on the tomb do

It is possible to get past the gate into Hightown in the First mission

spoiler:
    Gold key: Go into the red portal you weren't supposed to enter before.

spoiler:
    There are 5 ways past the gates. The easiest is over the vines just to the right of the gates. There are also two fairly short passageways through the sewers by the Tomb entrance. And there is one passageway in the tomb.

What Sharga describes are the entrances to MURKBELL, not Hightowne. AFAIK, you can't get past the gates into Hightowne
    ~element_5~

Oh, right. Stupid me!
    I just heard gates and thought of Murkbell immediately, sorry.

There is a way past the Hightowne gates though, go into dromed and delete the gate, although it is considered cheating.

You can whack the skull and get the goodies.

spoiler:
    4 holy water arrows kills it. Stay behind the wall, draw the bow, and lean left. Let the arrow go, and immediately withdraw behind the wall (stop leaning).

spoiler:
    You can hear the fireballs coming. You can see them coming also. Wait until they pass, and fire another holy water arrow. After 4, skull evaporates. Use bolders to get to ladder, climb out. Small rock on floor, right rear corner opens hatch.

Glenn Italiano - I just realized that one of your questions has been overlooked. Sorry! To get the golden key -
    spoiler:
    after you have used the silver key and read the message about the golden key, go back down the stairs, out through the red portal and across to the opposite one. Read the plaque over it and you'll see that it has a different message on it. It's important to read it first, then walk through that red portal. You'll find the golden key in that room.

Act 1 loot total problem

After I raid all there is in the tomb my loot total shows over 1200. Yet when I leave the tomb the total drops to 200. Any idea what is going on? I have replayed this part twice. Same result.

Correction to prior post

Correction, the loot total is reset to 200 when inside when
    spoiler:
    I take the second gem from the skull.
    Anyone know why?

Cycle through your inventory and you'll see that you have 2 loot totals. One for the rest of the stuff and one for that particular stone, which is 200g. I don't know why it shows as a seperate item, but I don't believe it counts in the available loot for the mission, because people have collected it all.

question in mission one

This mission is way fab! :} Purah! You go my man!
    I gotta question....
    spoiler:
    In mission one....the skull in the tomb with rubies in his eyes.....how do I get past this dude? I know this is so mickey mouse but for some reason I am hung up. I've tried not looking at him but how am I suppose to snatch the gems when I can't look at him. I tried sneaking from every angle. I die everytime. What am I doing wrong?
    This is one of those times when a BFG would rock and I could just
    spoiler:
    blow those gem right out of his sockets! LOLOLOL
    Thank You Guys!
    Yours in thieving,
    Mog

mogmoogle -
    spoiler:
    If you're not having any luck with the sneaking technique, then use holy water to destroy the skull. It takes about 4 or 5 hits, so stick with it.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast