TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: rigging the vote

rigging the vote

Has anyone played this fm yet?

If so has anyone had load crashes?

Let me explain. I started playing the fm. I saved and went off to do something else. When I tried to load the game I crashed to darkloader. I re-ran the game, tried to load and crashed to desktop then "blue screen of death'd".

I suspected it might have been darkloader 4.1, due to the fact that I have just installed it and then read that people seem to be having problems with it, so I went back to 3.8 - same loading problem with rigging the vote - but not with my other installed missions, so it wasn't darkloader.

I'll try to play the level through without saving/loading, but I wondered if anyone else had this problem, or if i've got a corrupt download.
    Last edited by Taliesin; 6th Apr 2002 at 12:13.

I've been having the same problem, and I have darkloader 3.8 Its not darkloader but its the mission itself.

I went right the way through this one without it crashing. However, I did encounter some problems;

1. The

whoops!!! hit wrong key. Problems -
    1. Difficulty levels seem set the wrong way round (minor problem)
    2. I could save but not load.

And all this time I thought the mission just really, really liked my desktop wallpaper

Seriously, though, is it worth playing through? It was so buggy I thought I'd found the hive..heh Lack of guard sounds...gates that make opening noises forever but never open, crashes, etc... Yet I found the architecture..and..well..colorfulness (that's probably not a word) of the mission quite pleasant and unusual...and the storyline seemed great..especially impressive for a 14 year old mission designer... Maybe I'll give it another try...

Hhhmm...well, I went back and finished (well, the final objective of getting back to camp wouldn't check off...but whatever)...and I have a question.. Is this mission for Thief Gold or is it just messed up? heh There was an invisible table I believe, and 3 invisible AI (including Bafford, Ramirez, and someone else...who I think was in Bafford's room but I'm not sure... I always love it when one of the objectives is to kill an invisible guy :^) I thought it might be for Gold and just not say it, but since Bafford and Ramirez are TDP characters, I wouldn't think there would be any additional graphics for them in Thief Gold that aren't available in TDP...but maybe.. Anyone else had a similar problem with this mission?

And what's the deal with those apples that keep appearing all over the hallway???? Hhhmm...strange...the ceiling must be a portal to a dimension made entirely of orchards.... Well, then there's the problem (a general Thief problem, I think, not just in this mission) of not being able to open a door that's being blocked by a little apple, which can be annoying when it's virtually raining apples..but that's another issue altogether

Fornever, you have either been playing with one serious corrupt file or this mission is for Thief Gold. I did play it with Thief Gold and
    spoiler:
    Bafford, Ramirez and Co were in his room but they were not invisable. I never had any strange noises or apples keep appearing, and as for an apple blocking a door .............. The only major problem I had was loading.

I hate to rubbish any FM but this is a pretty poor effort. The premise is good but the gameplay is poor and you cannot load. I played through the level and ended up having to kill eveything (you have little choice) but at least the objectives ticked off and it ended (which is more than can be said for a few I have played recently!). Like the Deceptive Sceptre it's not really a Thief level because TDP levels are designed around stealth not frontal assault. I hope the author takes more time with his next effort.

Originally posted by Phillys
    I played through the level and ended up having to kill eveything (you have little choice)
    Phillys, you obviously lucked out and didn't get the rather helpful bug I got. I bought the ever repleneshing gas arrow and so didn't have to kill, other than the target!

I don't think the file's corrupt.. The invisible AI and table thing is something that typically happens to me when playing a Thief Gold mission on TDP.. Maybe the author used Thief Gold objects and just didn't say so.... All the guards were visible.. I think it was just 1 table, Ramirez, Bafford, and the other AI that was with them that were invisible...

As for the apple thing, I may have exaggerated a little bit.. There were just some apples laying all over the hall at first, and they were blocking doors (which, as we probably all know, often happens with small objects that shouldn't block doors..even blood stains).. So I picked them all up.. Then I went through again and there were more apples there...odd... I had to go through there a few times looking for the invisible AI, so if you finished that area right away and moved on, it's quite possible it happened on your game, too, but it's something that you didn't even notice....

And the sound thing.. It was just the gate at the beginning.. I don't believe it's supposed to open, and it didn't.. But when I clicked on it, it made the sound of a gate opening and basically just kept looping that sound forever.. And every time I clicked on the gate again, it added another layer of gate opening noise.... The noise was just coming from the gate..it didn't follow me around or stay for the whole mission or anything..heh So I think that was just another bug...

I agree that this level is pretty rough, at any rate...but seeing as how the author is 14 years old according to the mission's info file, I think we should be at least a little lenient...heh

Lenient, no. Constructive, yes. People should be warned that it is a "little flawed" and then it is up to them whether they decide to download it. I have played a lot of FM's and enjoyed nearly all of them, this one I'm afraid has little in its favour.

well i played it through in one attempt without having to reload ...
    so i didn't encountered any bugs
    it was a little rough as a mission but hey the kid is 14 !!!
    tell us about your up n' comin' mission Phillys !!!

i enjoyed it...

I thought that it was a fine effort coming from a 14 year old. There were a few bugs but I was able to complete it. It was fun - far be it for me to complain when I can't make fm's myself. Considering that I have finished every fm available I look forward to any that come out - even the buggy ones, so don't give up and don't let the bad reviews get you down!