TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123456712172227 ... LastLast

Thread: Calendra's Legacy Mission 2: Midnight in Murkbell (questions)

Look, Howie, read the Nightwalkers quote again. She didn't say you'll regret getting it, she said you'll regret using it too much! And since the guards did not attack you while you were delivering the Cylix she was right, you DIDN"T need it. And you still don't need, let go into the rented room and you'll see why.
    As for the cops they are on alert for you cause you broke into the Cathedral and they are suppose to chance you cause you are a thief, that's normal reaction.

And Ethne, you need to upgrade Thief 2 to 1.18 and make sure your darkloader is 3.08, ealier versions of both will cause problems and you won't be able to finish the mission.

Nightwalker:

I went to the cathedril before picking up my stuff:

spoiler:
    the objective is now destroy the cylix and the town's full of undead. Is this the objective I didn't want, or have things worked out okay?

oops... should have added that I've been a wimp and I'm playing at footpad level

Taliesin -
    spoiler:
    That's the way it works on every difficulty level for this particular thing. It's easier to explore the town before you pick up your equipment unless you REALLY like undead missions!! And there's a LOT of town to explore, too.That was all I meant. Fire Eater doesn't particularly like undead, so I was just cautioning her to wait until she was done everything else she could do before she triggered that objective. You have to sooner or later, though, to continue with the mission.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 12th Apr 2002 at 21:49.

Moonlight Becomes Me...It Goes With My Underwear

Fun Stuff, vol. 2
    (for Volume One, send $7.95 to Journal Graphics, c/o The Vatican)

The Falstaff Wizards
    Assembling the Zilich amulet with the Eye In The Sky (hello? Alan Parsons, line one) overhead isn't all that difficult. Just make sure that you're facing the circle where the "J" is upside down. That way, it won't splatter you all over the marble floors. There's another way, too: If you don't alert the Wizards, the Oculus of Doom won't appear...but it will if you either make a horrendous noise or grab the vampyre blade (I think). Which brings up the following: by using a combination of stealth and a working knowledge of where the canal is, you can sneak your way around to pick up the pieces of the amulet without needing a sword-like object; so when you're ready to put it together, you can pick up the vampyre blade as well. Just do it all before triggering the "pick up your stash" objective.

Get to the Wizards' place and carefully KO the Wizard(s) (more than one on expert!) and make sure that they're not alerted or make a lot of noise. If they are (or do), a couple more Wizards will pop up and start searching. Not good. Also, the Bloodshot Orb O' Pain And Misery may show up. (I've played this particular mission five times and I still can't remember the important stuff) But even with the Biggest Bag Of Aqueous Humor EVER looking over my shoulder, I've assembled the amulet without being reduced to my component parts. I just made sure all of the Wizards were dreaming of sugarplums first. Anyway, do your thing. When the ritual's done, get up that ladder and into the the room with the torch lever quickly, because the Big Vile Jelly will be a little miffed with you. Grab the vampyre blade and skedaddle. All done! Two birds, one blackjack.

And I might mention that using the spoiler code makes everything look like it was some sort of censored government report dealing with top secret nuclear weapon reports, such as toilet-mounted nuclear warheads that, when detonated, will cause all of your skin to melt off, which makes me wonder why they're installed on toilets in the first place. So much for double-ply Charmin.

Originally posted by howie
    Is Garrett suppose to have a blackjack in mission 2 ?.

Orginally posted by Nightwalker]
    Not until later, but since you're having so many problems, I'll tell you a secret. .......If you get it................(?)

Auriga2us: I'm reading it right!

Nightwalker: Sorry, I had no idea what was going to happen. There is very little explained.

Silver Sorrow: No one told me I had to read the book first
    Last edited by howie; 12th Apr 2002 at 23:39.

Hi Howie...I'll try to help a little in the meantime

I guess I need to preface this by saying I don't have a thing about doing undead type missions and so my advise/opinions about this level are based on that fact and Nightwalker's help has been directed to me in that regard...but I still think this way of doing the level makes life much easier overall
    spoiler:
    Going into your room before your supposed to triggers an event that isn't supposed to happen till much later...you need to go around to many places and get stuff and be sneaky...first alerts are ok but don't hang around and you can't pickpocket when they go on this kind of alert either...so if they say " It musta been rats" or other familar words...they are on first alert not like regular thief where they're not really on alert status. You really need to be careful and search a lot to find the places that are important to you to find...not only for loot but other items as well! Right now I just got done with the Museum and there's a lot of stuff in there to get but you need to get something else first that will let you in...you'll find it in a bldg that you can get to by mantling up the water pump and jump over to the side of the windmill but go left and down to a door you have to pick. There's many places but they're not easily found...it takes time and sneak carefully..which our Thief games have taught us. Getting back to your room is basically the last thing you want to do as Nightwalker has tried to tell you. It makes things much easier in the long run of this level. BE WARNED! LOL

Nightwalker...WOW I did it...Museum spoiler stuff...
    spoiler:
    Well the first time I got inside and messed around as you know I couldn't get the key. I tried some more but I got frustrated and noting that he got stuck in a big crate downstairs I thought I try to take advantage of the situation. Well I did sortof...I got close to try and get his darn key and he hit me but still stuck inside. So I said to heck with it and shot him with arrow. Then when the other guard came down I shot her. Went upstairs and shot her...but when I opened the vault and saw the obsticles and realizing that I needed the crate I had already broken earlier...Sooooo, I restarted from just before going inside. I also was reminded that I had a gas arrow...Woola...I now had my plan in motion. So I did all the usual business I had done earlier but then I carted the crate upstairs, then went back and got the hammer to break it with up there too. I already picked her arrows. Then it was a matter of getting the lantern guy in the right place and then hiding him near the diamond display cause there's a lot of light there and the guard doesn't go back that far. Then I went back upstairs and this time shot the guard up there so no interference just to make sure. I managed then with crate to get over that one low beam and the rest was a cake walk. On the way out, got the crate again to my side so I could use it again to get out with. No alarms, no guard alerts...meaning the one downstairs is still patroling and none the wiser and guard out front, I just walked out behind him and around to the side that will take me out and back to the water for the trip to the Wiz's place. I now have 3900+ and total to get is actually around 4300+ not 4800+ as I thought before. YEHAW So if you don't have that crate, you just can't get there at all! I just hope I used my gas arrow at the right time and place cause otherwise I just couldn't make it happen

spoiler:
    Now for my super duper weapon manufacturing Glad to know about pentagram...yes, I told you I've been reading to try to get a handle on this game
    ...it really is confusing with all the objectives that really aren't spoken of but you really need to do to have any kind of chance of getting through it apparently. Maybe not so much the first mission...although it would have been helpful to have seen the real need for more loot gathering but darn hard under the cirsumstances of the gameplay. But the second mission I think really requires you getting much of these things done...and the fact of telling you to get your stuff from your room without any indications of doing anything else first...is kindof misleading...cause of all this other stuff that needs to get done beforehand IMHO. Otherwise if you don't, apparently your in a world of doodoo without much help to survive it all.... It's a great game but definately requires a lot from you as a player...and I'm speaking as a Footpad...that has played a "lot" of Thief 2 and FM's...so I'm not a novice...but neither am I an Expert player and this is almost on an Expert level I think? Anyway, just my 2 worth and now onto the Wiz! Ta and Good Hunting
    Last edited by The Fire Eater; 13th Apr 2002 at 00:03.
    It's not how you win, it's how you play the game! HAVE FUN!

Now I'm really confused!

What are you suppose to do first ?

Just color me blond

I knew that I had darkloader 4.01, and I thought I was certain about applying the 1.18 patch of T2.... haa haa, jokes on me. Thanks Auriga2us, for giving me a clue. I patched to 1.18, and every thing works just fine... now, on to all the extras!

To keep this less confusing to ALL of us, let me explain what I did.

I went to the Cathedrel. I dropped the package. Then, a Cathedrel guard attacked me in the room....he ran in the door and attacked....I have no weapons. I had no choice but to run outside. I was then chased by all the guard in the whole damned mission.

And by the way

Silver Sorrow: LOL!!! That was fabulous!!

Howie...you did the first thing you needed to do as required

spoiler:
    but how did you do it...did you go by water...did you find water arrows...how did you get in? Do you have a save or two where you just get inside? Do you know about the "cup" and passage? If I were you, I'd reload from where you get inside and get into the Cardinals room. Get the goodies quickly..trigger the cup, then drop item and get in passage in the dark and wait...then watch below for a good time to drop down and work your way out to exit. Then start searching around for bldg entries and gathering loot items and reading materials. If you want...instead of leaving grounds right away...and either you have balcony key or get it from the Cardinals room, you can go back inside that way and go into Library room after putting out torch (which is on the opposite side from his room) and read some stuff in there that will give you an idea about something to seach for. Then make your way back out again via the passage and all the way out.
    By doing it this way there won't be so many guards/priests running and chasing after you...in fact some will still run around looking for you but not as many. Then they won't be actually chasing you unless you let them see you So you can time them to make your way around.... or I suppose you could try to get over to Library room from the inside but I think it may be more difficult to accomplish because of patterns of their search routes. Just make sure the torch in his outer room is out cause they do go into that room but you can hide in the corner till you can make your way out and across. So that's my idea...and you can give it a shot if you like or not? Good Hunting!
    Last edited by The Fire Eater; 13th Apr 2002 at 00:37.

Eek! A Big Distracting Thing!

Ethne - I aim to please, or something.

Howie - A good thing to do when you first walk into the Cardinal's room is to put out the gas lamp. Then when things go horribly, horribly wrong, you can jump on the bed and wait in the darkness until the coast is clear. Also, try frobbing the goblet by the bed for an easy exit.

Unless you're playing above normal (footpad?), you really have nothing more pressing on your time than going back to your rented room...mostly everything else is amusing oneself and doing interesting things that extend gameplay, although poking around and finding all of the stuff helps out. In the end, the tasks are pretty straightforward: Deliver Cylix, grab stash, steal back and destroy Cylix, the end. Everything else is pure fun. But on cat thief, you have to get into the museum and more on expert. I hope this is coming across as informative instead of patronizing...I was hit in the head so many times as a kid that sometimes conversational nuances are blurred.

{EDIT: And Fire Eater answered your concerns better than I. }

A standard way to get the vault key off the lantern guard in the museum:
    Take it off his corpse after the Ungrateful Dead tear into "Sugar Magnolia". Granted, there are mummies in the museum, but they can't get up to the 4th floor. Find the guard, grab the key, then hotfoot it on up to the vault. This is the easy way out...sorta. I'd rather deal with guards than other things...

Finally, I know "y" is sometimes used as an "i", but really..."vampyre"???

If I go back to the rented room the mission doesn't end. I get a new objective. Then the skeletons come and there is no way to out run them. FootPad

PS - I figured out that I had to put out the torch but I didn't see a goblet or a secret passage. I'll look again. I made it back to the city but with no weapons it's hard to get anywhere.

Is Mercedes suppose to do or say something after I go to my room ? She just stands there and thats it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nightwalker - You're correct, The Burgomaster, Calandra's Cistern, and this one I've had problems playing -- crazy AI and weird mission failings. I wish I knew what the common link to the strange problems is/was. There is one priest in this mission....if he gets within 50 feet of me.... objective 1 fails the mission. I can be crouched, completely in shadow, not moving, and the mission will fail objective 1. I had to drop the item down the shute 10 times before it quit failing objective 1 -- it wasn't that the clock struck mid-night, it was the guards hearing the thing hit the floor in the basement. One of the times the mission failed objective 1 with a green check mark! I said ok, now what do I do ? Reload and try it again and I finally got it to work............ weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I gotta laugh about it or I'd go nuts. Not that I'm already half nuts already. There is one other guy I seen posted a question on the forum about mission one that had the same problem I did. Thumper didn't understand what he meant. I did understand because I had the same problem. He never posted back a reply, so I don't know if he ever did get through it. Ta ta....I really should go to bed.
    Last edited by howie; 13th Apr 2002 at 03:10.

When you wake back up Howie...

spoiler:
    That's the reason you need to go a-hunting so you can find stuff. There's not a lot of weapons to be had as such...but other useful items can be found to help you here and there. The only things I started out wtih besides your standard gear that I could buy were three water arrows. Any broadheads you can safely pick you;'ll get three ilo of one but it's hard except for the one in the museum so far. I tried the one at the Cathedral that patrols several times and failed, failed, failed so I gave up on her. Then I did mange to get another one from the street patroling so I had a grand total of six LOL However, being very careful of Lantern guy...get into Physics house for some goodies...and the fancy name potion is for health but only use it when your just about out of life cause it's a full refill There is one apple in market and a bread in the museum and do give you one life...otherwise in all my searching at this point..that's all the life goodies I've found. But I've found a gas arrow, flash bomb, speed, invis, another rope, water arrows, fire arrow (one only at this point), holy water, moss arrows and collected all items now to make my super dooper weapon...which should help me greatly after meeting with Mercedes, etc. If you decide to try this aftifac and need some help...then check out my other postings between me and Nightwalker. It's definately very envolved and not easily found to get all the "parts" but a very good challenge even if you get the directions on where they are...you still have to get it done! So if you do, you will be required to get into the museum...but if you decide to try for the vault too...don't break the crate till afterwards...you will need it first to do what you'll need to do...but you also need to get something else first before you get to that point...which is a definate must have also! I'm trying to give you some good hints without giving everything away...and as you follow this treak it should all start to fit the puzzle...but it won't happen in a hurry

By the way...I
    spoiler:
    only killed one guard in museum...the other one (key guy) I used my gas arrow The other guard is still patroling around completely unaware of my doings and did not run into any mummies on my way out (I left through the front door although I could have left through the window if necessary...
    I just walked out behind guard at door and went on my merry way So again doing things first before going to apt...makes life more livable, LOL Ta and Good Hunting
    Last edited by The Fire Eater; 13th Apr 2002 at 10:04.

Nightwalker:

spoiler:
    thanks, I understand, I too am not the biggest undead mission fan and the undead when triggered are quite intense. I think I'm going to go back and re-play, picking my gear up first. I've started to get a feel for the city layout and don't think I'll have a problem getting to my room and then the Cardinal. Then I can get a better feel for the rest of the city layout before triggering the undead hordes. Also I'm so enjoying this it will give me chance to explore the city a bit more. Incidently I've seen the clue in the crystal ball: is the underwater grotto in this level or in the later one?

I'll try to help in the meantime Taliesin...

It's in this level but tricky to find...if you want more hints..say so and I'll be glad to assist if you want.

Howie...I also forgot to mention...when in Cardinals room be sure to get book up on shelf on the right side in corner...you'll need it if you go for a particular item...the one I'm now completing

But I need some help now....
    spoiler:
    I did a run through of the casting of the spell and when I closed book...Wiz's came out and attacked me...how come? What am I supposed to do at this point of closing after the reading. Did I do something wrong? I saw no ghost but book appeared to be glowing and a mist was coming from it so I picked it up to read. Am I supposed to read it from a partricular place, like in the middle so I can get amulet...did I pick up book to soon???? I'm really confused. Nightwalker seem to say it didn't matter if I was seen doing this ritual...does it or not? SilverSorrow...you say be very quiet or knock'm out first...well I can't knock'm out cause I got nothin to do it with...my only choice in that case would be to shoot him with an arrow? I am playing Footpad. Help...I don't wanna die now! LOL I also saw where SilverSorrow said to stand behind the upside down "j" but don't see how this is possible unless I stay right in the middle while I drop these items...by the way I didn't even have to drop the book...as soon as I put the last item down...it automatically showed up on it's spot?
    So what the heck is going on here now? Thanks for the help and Good Hunting!
    Last edited by The Fire Eater; 13th Apr 2002 at 08:55.

Fire eater - thanks, just wanted to check. I'll have a good search, if I can't find I will come back to you.

Fire Eater - You've been giving Howie some good advice while I've been sleeping. Thanks! As for the Wizard's Guild -
    spoiler:
    Once the book glows, you should be able to pick it up, read it and then there's an explosion of sorts and the Amulet appears, assembled in the air above the pentagram. I don't recall getting busted by the Wizard's at this point, but if that's a problem, just hide in the shadows after you read the book until they settle down, then grab the Amulet. If you're playing on Footpad, you could just get rid of them, too, I guess. Silver Sorrow was suggesting where you stand safely to assemble the Amulet when the "Eye in the sky" has appeared, which happens when the wizards are alerted. Have you seen it yet?? Very cool effect but also very deadly. If you're getting shot at and you don't know where from, look up in the sky above the hole in the roof and you'll see it. I didn't mean to imply that it didn't matter if you were seen. You still get attacked and things get nastier if you do, so it's better to be sneaky.

Also, about the rented room objective, it doesn't matter WHEN you trigger it. It's just a personal choice about how you want to play the mission. I just, personally, find it much easier to collect everything I can first as I find it much harder afterwards.

Howie - I wish I could explain why you run into these bizarre problems. It must be very frustrating. Fire Eater and Silver Sorrow have given you excellent advice.
    spoiler:
    There are a lot of useful things in Vilrath's Garden. Have you gone there yet?? It's close to the Market not far from the Psychics. You go past the Psychic's house and right down to the end, then turn right and you'll be right at the stairs. Go down and on your left is the garden gate. (There's a light switch on the wall there, too, to make this easier.) Use a broadhead on a button on the back wall to open the gate and you'll find lots of water and moss arrows.
    For most of us, after awhile, the guards settle down. Out in town, there will be more guards standing and patrolling, but they shouldn't be more alert than normal. Try using the canals as much as possible, too. There are a number of places where you can climb out and be fairly close to a building you need to go to. Good Luck!

Taliesin -
    spoiler:
    The grotto is in this level. It's really hard to find, though. Check the bottom of the canal between the Black Die and the Cathedral for a hole. As for the route to the rented room, you shouldn't have any problems if you're becoming familiar with the level. I did it quite easily and it would help on Footpad. You don't get much in the way of weapons though, and, as I said before, if you get your BJ, don't overuse it or the guards won't be there to fight the undead, which will leave you MORE to deal with.

Be sneaky huh...wellll it's kindof hard to be

spoiler:
    cause to get the stuff in the right place I have to be very close to the spots otherwise when I drop them they don't always get put in the right place...this is not like hop-scotch and you just toss your larrie and know where it's going, LOL Aiming this stuff is not easy even by dropping...goes outside the area and then I have to get it and try again and line it up Then I have to get close enough to highlight the book and get it. I suppose once I get it I can move away and then read it...cause I saw the Wizs' immediately upon closing it and they shot at me. No I didn't get a chance to look up. How's that supposed to work, if I see it and hide away will it go away so I can come out again? Or once it's tripped I'm SOL? So that means I've got to duck in an out to put this darn stuff where it needs to go...that's gonna be tough!

I'll check back in a little bit to see if your around. Ta and Good Hunting!

Fire Eater - Sorry I'm not being much help on this one, but I just don't recall having much trouble with this part. Let me know how you make out.

Well OK...guess I'll go in again and get shotup a few times before I get it worked out the right way LOL Wonder how come they don't like me???? I was very good when I went in there the first time...got the purse, got the gas arrow and tippie toed out without disturbing their inner sanctum... LOL So guess I'll get off line for awhile and see what I can do....Thanks anyway Good Hunting!

ps: Mom is so so...leg is healing some when I took her back for a follow-up on the 19th and was supposed to come back on the 23rd of Apr...my transportation guys recently got a contract with a hospital and so really aren't servicing privates for awhile...at least to end of this month...don't know about next? Really tough because they are the only ones who will take her up and down my stairs...others won't anymore cause of possible mishaps and suits. Don't want to put in a ramp...so I'm kiindof between a rock and a hard place right now. That is one of the most difficult problems to surmount...transporation!!!!! When they took to her the hospital and had to use ambulance...over $500 that was covered because she was admitted...if not...we would have had to pay it! OK, that's it for now and thanks for asking the other day.

I wouldn't be a very good Satinist.

spoiler:
    Fire eater, I'm in the same spot you are. The problem I'm having is that nothing is happening. I may not have one the objects I need because the book is unclear on the matter. The one I'm not sure of is> what the book calls, " the other eye". I don't know for sure but I'm putting the eye that sees lazer beams ( the one for the museum) in that spot. If this is not the correct eye ? what is ?and where is it.? I don't want some crappy riddle either. I just want to know the location of it.

A summary of placement:

spoiler:

#1: Jortul's Head on the "J"
    #2: Ghoul's Eye on the "1"
    #3: Vampire's Eye on the "3"
    #4: Lich's Eye on the "5"
    #5: Amulet Setting on the "7"
    #6: Spellbook on the "9"

Wait while mixture simmers. Serves one.

Where is Lich's eye ?

spoiler:
    I have that Silver Arrow. It's the #5 eye that I need. I also can't find the key to the safe in the jail. Maybe that's where it's at ?

howie -
    spoiler:
    Did you find the way into the garden? The Lich's eye is in there. One of the statues is holding it. You have to earn the key to the safe. After you meet Mercedes, you should pickpocket her purse. There's a diary in it, so just "use" the purse to read the diary. You'll get an objective to take the purse to the police station and leave it in the office. When you do, look under the desk chair. It sounds like you've made a lot of progress. You definitely deserve an "A" for perseverance!

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123456712172227 ... LastLast