TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678914192429 ... LastLast

Thread: Calendra's Legacy Mission 2: Midnight in Murkbell (questions)

Hi Comfort....

thanks for reply but still wonder....what's the purpose of doing it like that? So the one comes out chasing me and the other joins him and then somehow I'm supposed to get inside? I was talking about dark places to hide inside...ain't none I can see. So then, I have to get back outside from a lighted place inside and both guards are outside now...and then I'm supposed to jump from there across to the other side so I can get to the ladder at the factory and these guys are on the hunt for me???? Sounds slightly difficult to pull off if you ask me

spoiler:
    I also would like to know about getting to cemetary...the keys I got from Mercedes...are they the ones that open the door down under the Cathedral I found ealier from that path inside a "Library" I guess it was...the room across from the Cardinals room? Otherwise, I saw no other way to get to the cemetary from the street as such.. Course I've seen the guard in his little shack from the water near there but never found anyway up to where he was?
    So this is where I need some explainations a little more please. Thank you and Good Hunting!
    It's not how you win, it's how you play the game! HAVE FUN!

Fire Eater -
    spoiler:
    The police station set up is a bit annoying, I must admit, but you should have your BJ now, right?? Knock out the outside guard. There's a nice dark spot right down at the far end just where you jumped across from the rented room. Get rid of him, then go in, hit the button with the arrow, go back down the stairs and over into the shadows a bit. Most of the time, when I did it, the guard inside seemed to assume the noise came from the front and didn't come out back to look for me if I was quiet and out of sight. He only patrols for a minute or two, then goes back and sits at the counter inside. Wait for that, then sneak in behind him and BJ him.

As for the factory, you can just go in the front doors now, probably. Usually (but not always) the inside guards have been killed by the undead. You can just pick a key from one of them to open the door, go in and get your fire arrows and leave again.

The guard in the little shack by the water has a bridge key. It extends a bridge across the water. He may have moved away from the shack while fighting undead, so you may have to check corpses up the street. You can also go in through the Cathedral, though. The key for the basement door wasn't there before, but it is now. In the Library room (across the church from the Cardinal's room), if you look carefully, just under the edge of the desk, there is a part of a key visible now. That opens the door at the bottom of the stairs and allows you another way into the Cemetary. It's easier than the street way, I think.

Yea I guess I could BJ...was trying not to...

spoiler:
    I wasn't sure if any undead would show up on this side I looked out the window and around outside for a bit to see if I could see anyone fighting but have seen no-one as yet. A weird thing happened while doing the Mercedes bit. The first time, she gave me her keys. I got over to the other side with guards and didn't know what to do and I didn't hear all of the conversation cause I was busy putting out torches in room. So I restarted from going inside with her to listen better. Then I tried using water arrows on torches before I went in and noticed a poof...realizing it had accidently put out a gas arrow (turns out it was 3). So I reloaded again and just put out the one on the left side and getting those arrows off the table first and then went over to get fire arrows, etc. When she finally came out again, all the conversation didn't happen cause I didn't say something I had heard before...and I didn't get the keys this time. So I have to do it again. What are those keys for if I get the key from the Cathedral? And if the other key is on the guard, I don't understand what keys she is giving me to do? I still don't know how you would get to that guard anyway that's up in his shack...? Do you have to get up to Cathedral St. to get to him? Just wondering...?

So guess I get into my room again and retry this manuver in the meantime Thanks Nightwalker...

I know what you mean about aches and pains Boy I've had my share lately...shoulders mainly but have had a problem with swollen ankles and feet for a few weeks now and not normal for me...don't understand it. I've sat for hours before and never bothered me this way...??? I know it's circulation related but don't know what's causing it to happen. Can't get to the Dr's to find out right now...Oh well...sooner or later I guess Ta and Good Hunting!

Fire Eater - It sounds like we're both feeling our age a bit this spring. Most of the time I don't feel all that old, but I can't say that right now!

As for CL -
    spoiler:
    The undead never make it to the back of the police station, at least none have in all the times I've played this and they don't get inside either, so BJ those guys won't matter. Otherwise this part is a bit of a pain. You could just skip it, but you'd miss out on the stuff in the safe.

I've run into that problem with Mercedes at the rented room, too. If anything interrupts or changes things there, it seems to stall the speech, etc. I doubt if anything could be done about it though. The bridge isn't hard to get at and the guard will be dead somewhere nearby. I've never seen him survive NLD, as yet. To get there, you just follow some wood boardwalks. You'll know it when you see it. There's also some nice, spooky music that plays when you're at an interesection of the boardwalk close to the bridge.

You only need the Cemetary keys is you want to go in that way, but if Mercedes doesn't finish her speech and give you the keys, then you can't be sure that the last part of the game will work properly. I think it's much wiser to restart and get it working so you don't get any nasty surprises later on. By the way, the key ring she gives you has the keys to the Cemetary gate that you arrive at after you extend the bridge and cross it. Without those, the only way in would be from the basement of the Cathedral, which not everyone knows about.

Keep me posted on how you're doing. I'll check back later.

Okay, I need severe help here:

spoiler:
    I'm really not good at undead missions, but I've decided to push on and trigger the NOTLD event. I've managed to get to the cemetery (front gate rather than try the cathedral) with little problems - canals and rooftops are wonderful things. But in the cemetery I struggle. I started to clear the grounds of the undead (I had something like 10+ fire arrows and 2 bottles of holy water left (I used one on route). That didn't work I got absolutley murdered by the mist and the skull chucking ghost. So, next time I tried to be sneeky. I got in the house with only a single skeleton searching for me. tried to take it out and got killed by the rocking horse (weird). Basically I could do with directions - exactly where am I heading etc.. Your help is, as always, appreciated.

Taliesin...afraid I can't help much cause...

I'm working my way there now...doing my thing again with Mercedes and the Police Sta. However, there was some material on how to get rid of the lesser and greater enities...those that used "normal" weapons vice those that turned into mist. And I'm afraid I don't quite remember it all But I think holy water arrows came into play some on the lesser? That's a ghost on the rocking horse I've read about earlier in these posts and not sure how you get rid of him either...so I'll be looking for Nightwalker's reply to your post as well Didn't you get the amulet done? That's supposed to help you with the undead...and did you make the trip to the factory? It's supposed to have lots of fire arrows as well. So hang in there and we'll both get some of this "dire" help Ta and Good Hunting!

fire eater, yes I got to the factory and got the fire arrows (though I did a lot of roof top sniping before I went into the cemetary!!!!)

As for the amulet - I believe you need
    spoiler:
    something from the police station, which you can only get with mercedes diary. Couldn't seem to pick pocket her!!!

Originally posted by dvrabel

That sucks. I might edit the mission and give myself [a sword].
    Okay. It doesn't suck. Must not have been in a "Thief mode" that day.

Yeah. The conversation took place and I got the keys. I could hear all of Mercedes's lines but I couldn't hear Garrett's lines.
    I think this might have been something to do with too few sound channels. I bumped them from 12 to 24 and it worked.

David Vrabel

Taliesin -
    spoiler:
    You don't need anything from the police station to assemble the Amulet. There's just usually something helpful in the safe, but nothing important. It would be too much trouble to assemble the Amulet now, if you're already in the cemetary, though Fire Eater is right, it's a very useful tool there. If you're in the grounds, you can avoid the main part of the house altogether. If you go around the left side and down to the back, there's a door that leads down to the basement. In the basement, there's a hole in the floor and down there is where you need to go. If you creep around upstairs, you might find a piece or two of loot and equipment, but nothing major.

If you're already in the house, then on the main floor, go across the big room over to the corner and there's a little room with a floor hatch. That takes you down to the basement.

Out in the grounds, it's best to avoid those gas things whenever possible. You can kill them, but it's been mostly luck on my part, more than an understanding of what works. There seems to be a "core" that is vulnerable if you hit it with holy water, but I can't say exactly where it is or how to find it. Thin out a few of the zombies, if they're giving you trouble, but if you head for that basement door, you should be better off.

As for the rocking horse, I'd just stay out of the room. I don't think there's anything in there. That's creepy, isn't it. I did kill him once, but I took a bit of damage first.

Quite frankly, after trying the main gate entry to the Cemetary and the back way from the Cathedral, I'd say the back way wins as the easier way to get the Cylix for sure. You might miss a bit of loot in the graveyard, so it would depend on whether you were out to find it all or not.

spoiler:
    The water route into the Cathedrel seems to be the easiest way in. Most all the creatures in and around the Cathedrel are zombies which can be easily out run. Tip: If you don't have the Amulet assembled I'd avoid the cemetary altogether. There's not enough loot in there to make it worth while.

Billy Taff

Re: Am I the only one having this problem?

Originally posted by Ethne
    I am playing on easy.
    I make it to the cathdral, drop the thingy down the chute, he threatens me, I run, and the objective never ticks off. Nor does the one about going back to the rented room and grabbing my stuff (which I do, after having yet another wonderful encounter with Mercedes).
    Then, anytime I happen to be in the area of my room, Mercedes starts her little speech again....

Hey...same here...why is that???

Well I'm inside thru the door and I'm ...

spoiler:
    very shakey... I'm not sure what I'm going to run into at this point? I used the amulet on two "Z's" near the Physic's that were going between her place and the coffee shop and I needed to get past the museum so I could get to "Croft's" I was up on the ledge of that bldg and Wow..did they ever blow up I used it once before earlier as well while on the water pump...I used it on that character that was patroling around the windmill...he was glowing...was that supposed to be a vampire:? He disappeared in a poof/mist? I hope using the amulet was the right weapon? I'm really confused about this business of some of these characters disappearing in mist and what to do about them? Anyway, so I'm only supposed to use it three times a night...is this just one long night and I only have one more use? I'm really not sure what I got out of the safe at Police station...I tried to check my equipment and I really don't know what I got, neither out of the two chests. I did go into the factory by the ladder and saw the guard was dead out front...but just felt uneasy about going that way. When I got into the grounds of Cathedral no-one was there except inside..."Z's" running around. What this about something shooting gas? I made my way in without incident and didn't disturb our little friends...Got key and down to door...inside and saw where the chute was for drop. Now I'm on stairway going down and see sleeping "z" on the floor. Tried to put out torches near him and they won't go out? So going this way you say I don't go into cemetary...I thought you said I had/needed to? There still was a couple of guards still around...one on Cathedral st. and the other I saw was I think near the cemetary/warehouse? Not sure but did see a couple of fights...guards lost. Saw the carnage near the coffee shop...geez five guards all close together and some girl I hadn't seen around before anywhere. She had bare feet..not the other lady I spotted earlier that was upper class type? Wonder where this other one was before? Also found a dead civilian in the water near the bridge by Physic's...hadn't seen this one before either. Oh yea...my thing with Mercedes...

spoiler:
    Well it took a couple of tries and making sure I stood still in front of her while she did her spiel and got the keys...then I got around behind her but couldn't get her purse...she didn't stay as long as before and so I had to chase her..by the time I caught up she had gotten to the Square and our guys were there to meet us. I grabbed her purse and she started firing but I hightailed out but not quite fast enough as Skeleton guy came after me and clipped me a couple of times till I hit the water near apt. He eventually went away and I climbed back up on my rope cause I didn't have enough time to grab all my stuff while I was trying to make Mercedes do her thing. Eyahhh...but no problem...got it and went back to rope to get to Police Sta. I didn't want to do it again so I took my damage and left. I took a little more when I dropped down from Crofts...I probably should have cushioned it but I didn't want to waste a moss arrow...I used one when I dropped down near Museum though. Mostly to make a quiet fall and shut museum doors as I passed...didn't want to run into mummies in case they were wandering about!

So I guess that's about it regarding my travels up to now...I've got about 7/8? life icons and my health potion yet...I'll probably be needing it soon I have a feeling So am I gonna have to fight Alcon..whatever his name is? And is that a holy water fountain in Cathedral or ...wish it was a life fountain cause I'd sure put out a couple more torches and dance with the "Z's" if it was! Ta and Good Hunting!

Billy Taff - Welcome to the Forum.

The objectives in the second mission don't tick off properly unless you are using version 1.18 of Thief 2. If you are using one of the earlier versions, you need to apply the patch. You can find it here . You will probably have to restart the second mission, though, so I hope you haven't gone too far in it. It might be a good idea to copy you "saves" and "allsaves" folders somewhere else on your HD, just as a backup before you do it.

Fire Eater -
    spoiler:
    The tunnel you are in takes you directly into the sub-basement of the house in the cemetary, so you avoid the outside grounds. That's where the "shooting gas" undead thing is. There are some vampyres, if you kill them, that end up producing these "gas trails" and they're pretty deadly, so it's better just to avoid them. The good news is, that going the way you are, there is absolutely no need to kill Alcandor. When you come out of the tunnel, you can creep straight ahead through the hanging sheets and the Cylix is right there. You're behind the Cardinal, so you won't be seen as long as you keep an eye out for the zombies. You can grab it and leave the same way you came in.

Don't worry about putting out the torches in that first crypt with the zombie. You can creep over carefully and snag a nugget that's lying near him, then leave with out waking him up.

As far as I know, you can only use the Amulet 3 times during the mission, though I've never tested that out. I usually save it for times when I have a large number of undead together in one place and then it blows a bunch of them up at once. It sounds like you're doing okay, though.

In the Police safe, you should have picked up more fire arrows. Maybe you just didn't notice. I think that one of the chests was empty and one had a few broadheads.

Your adventure with Mercedes sounds about like mine, last time through. I avoided the damage, though, but I had to follow her all the way to the end to get the purse. Sometimes I can get it off of her in the room, but not always. You'll soon be on to mission #3!

For want of Chapstick, the lips were lost...

About Mercedes: A Boy's Bittersweet Experience

A couple of times, after Mercedes finished her speech, she'd walk out of the room and 3/4ths of the way down the stairs; she'd stop there and kill a lantern guard. Then she would just stand on the stairs with her back to me. So I'd wait for a while, then sneak down and grab her purse (I guess that sounds as furtive and criminal as I think it does). After a long while, she disappears. I'm wondering if the key to avoiding a sneak-chase through undead-infested streets is waiting until the lantern guard shows up before I go into Garrett's--er, *my* room? Sheer fantasy on my part, since no two people's games are ever alike, and therefore nothing odd will ever suffer itself to recreation.

Two questions that I ask out of sheer curiosity:

Has anyone ever seen a vampire Thief? Snooping around the meshes folder revealed a few interesting things.

Has anyone picked up a skull for a bow-oriented weapon? [see my last post (assuming I haven't posted there again) in the CL Easter Eggs thread on the subject of finding a skull that acts as a (useless) weapon.]

Nightwalker

Thanks for the tips.

spoiler:
    You were definitely right, the path via the cathedral is much easier. Also, it was most amusing to see the bow man wandering around who - up to me getting there - had escaped the zombie menace. I didn't mind missing out on a bit of treasure, I finished the mission with enough to afford everything bar the mega-potion on the next level.

Incidently... (disclaimer - the following link is for a bad joke product) anyone worried about a NOLD effect should try out the following link:

http://loris.net/zombie/zproducts.html

Anyway, on to winter's eve - I wonder how long it'll take me to post on that thread!!!

LOL, Taliesin! That's hillarious! I think I want to get a couple of those for my next trip through this mission!

LOL Taliesin...funny stuff :-D

Zombies .... "Couldn't we just think of them as metabolically challenged?" I thought this one was particularly funny (small edit) from the Guest Book page

My continued adventures:

spoiler:
    Well I proceeded ahead and only put one torch out in first room...since you said I could leave the same way...guess I'll stop on the way and pick it (gem) up...but I only spotted a skull near by looked like to me? I managed to put two skeleton's to sleep...RIP..but the second one came out from where I found a "Haunt"? after I shot the second one even though I did it near Mech machine down the hallway...he must have heard it groan so he same down the hall a bit while I hid next to machine. Then I crept down next to him and although I didn't think it would work, tried to BJ and of course I saw my skull/bones winking at me...LOL! So that's where I left off last night and will now pull out my fire arrow and put an end to his attitudes...Mawwwhhahahaha!

I thought the Keeper's had a place down here? or is that later/next level? Ta and Good Hunting!

Afterthoughts:
    spoiler:
    So Cardinal is a Vamp?
    I do have a mine, flash mine, 4 holy viles, lots of water arrows, fire arrows and 4 flash bombs...think that's enough??? plus one use of amulet Apparently I could get to the cemetary graves for more goodies from here? I'd like to get a little more so I can buy what I need for next level...my take right now is $3900 somthing?
    Last edited by The Fire Eater; 16th Apr 2002 at 17:33.

Fire Eater -
    spoiler:
    There's not a lot of loot up there, but there is some. There's a gold vase upstairs in the house, and a ring in the leaves outside in the cemetary and a statue on top of a coffin at the top of the 3rd way out of the room where you found the cylix. When I used the Amulet to kill the Cardinal, it took 2 uses of it, but I'm sure one plus some other stuff would probably work. I can't say for sure though.

The Keeper's place is in Mission #3, so you'll have to wait for that part.

Well OK Nightwalker...

maybe I'll give it a try and see what happens...but I have a feeling I 'd better drink my joy juice now before I try it, LOL, just incase I run into a little snag doing this Thanks and see ya later. Good Hunting!

Later in the evening...I doodododoodded it...no not killed the Cardinal...although I tried a few times...guess I needed two shots. I did try using it again and it just didn't fire. So at least it got rid of a couple of "Z's" running around in there...and used by Flash bomb when we were in the hall and I got inside, then used an invis...grabbed the goodie, used my second invis to run past and down the hall as fast as my little feet would go, all the way till I got near sleeping "Z" room again..got gem and out. Had to dodge/wait some "Z's" outside that didn't seem to be around earlier...but no problem and out hole. So I did the deed and now trying to get into Mission 3 and I can't... I'm having .avi problems again/still and my comp keeps crashing when it tries to load/play the new .avi...I've tried several times to get in...tried checking some apps regarding video, etc. , tried reloading indeo codec's but the same thing as last time when I tried to do that. Says I've already got upgraded versions and won't reinstall Thiefs codecs. At this point I don't know if reinstalling Thief would make any difference. I'm so upset and unhappy about this. I never had any problems running Thief's .avi's on my other machine and I don't understand what's going wrong in this one???? This is not just with CL...I've had problems even with the O.M.'s .avi's at times but not as problematic as with CL. So I don't know what to do now.... I want Mission 3 and my loot! Ta and Good Hunting!
    Last edited by The Fire Eater; 17th Apr 2002 at 01:40.

Did anybody notice...

spoiler:
    The undead and all the other nasty creatures that wonder the cemetery do not seem to be able to cross the bridge. I used this “bug” if you can call it that to kill them all. It was actually somewhat easy since all of the zombies were standing together an 1 or 2 fire arrows were enough to finish the job.

Vampyre Sword

Could I get a hint/clue on where to start looking for this sword? Pretty please..

what difficulty are you playing on? If it's footpad, it's not available. If higher then a clue might be:

spoiler:
    shakespearian sorcerors

If that's a little too obvious sorry, a little too obscure let me know!!!

Good clue, Taliesin!

Hello, I found a bride (I pressume she's a bride, she's dressed all in white) in
    spoiler:
    the market area
    . She only appeared there after a while and from all the time I've spent on this mission (several hours on footpad and now several more on expert) she's never once cropped up before!! Is this a time delay feature set into the mission similar to Bob's cat; He seemed to come from nowhere too!!
    Although this maybe a textures bug I'm experiencing (e.g. the purple guy that travels to and from the forge area is now dressed like a keeper with a glowing red hand) though most everyone else is dressed normal.

BTW has anyone clocked up a lot of hours in a single sitting without reloading. I'm just wondering if this ultimate easter egg
    spoiler:
    has a huge time delay feature

Well I gotta get to work now, I look forward to your replies

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678914192429 ... LastLast