TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328 ... LastLast

Thread: Calendra's Legacy Mission 2: Midnight in Murkbell (questions)

How I solved it

Regarding the CC ghost:

spoiler:
    I waited till the beast was near the wizards'. Then I lured the wizards out, and let them take care of it. They can see it even though it is invisible.

Regarding the graveyard:

spoiler:
    It's no problem rushing through the cemetary using some timing and patience. I didn't even use speed potions. I stuck to the outer wall and went to the back of the mansion.

Museum Invite Problem

Perhaps the problem some people are having with using the Museum invitation is that it is only valid AFTER midnight. Before then it's an open invitation to the Bear Pits.

Dok.

BANNED
    It is excellently done, but all the wall-snags are really irritating, and forced combat is a BIG negitive for me. How they done the conversations and all the unusual AI movements, I'll never know, but how come LGS didn't think of that? And the lightining is really cool.

The "wall snags" are, unfortunately unavoidable. It's a problem you run into even in the OMs. What forced combat are you referring to? I don't believe you are forced to fight anyone at any point in the mission, that I can recall.

BANNED
    Well ok, perhaps 'forced confrontation' would be more accurate, I think in Thief we should not be forced into 'fight or flight' situations. For example, When you throw the cylix down the chute in the cathedral, and a guard then rushes in, about to kill you...(that worked ok with the plot though) but after I got my stash form my rented room, I was walking back down the ally, and a skeleton comes out of nowhere, rushing at me with a sword. I haven't played the 3rd mission yet , so maybe theres more.
    Also about the snags, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but there were a hell of a lot of them, in fact I'm getting stuck every couple of steps when trying to creep along a wall. I only remember a very few in the OMs.

I think, with the skeleton, you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. You can avoid them, if you're careful. Same thing with the Cathedral after the Cylix. There is a corner of the room that you can hide in, if you've put out the light, so the guard won't see you. There is also a secret exit from the room, that allows you to avoid him.

As for the snags, yes, you're right, it does happen in quite a few places. I'm not a mission designer, so I can't explain it, but I found I could quite often get loose by going back a little way and moving away from the wall at an angle. If not, just save often, because it's a terrific mission and worth a little extra trouble to get through.

The snags are a result of the sloping ground. The engine doesn't handle sliding against a wall with a floor that slopes towards the wall very well.

How many water crystals are in this mission? I ask because at one point I suddenly found myself holding over 30. I can't figure out where I found all of them. Except, in the museum I was about to grab the arrows from the wall, but got too close and the water arrow splashed all over me. (Good thing the fire arrow didn't go off!) Anyway, that gave me a lot of arrows for fighting the undead, which was nice.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that Murkbell Cemetary has fireflies in it! At first, I thought it was a fluke -- my video card is quite old and I'm used to seeing momentary 'blips' on screen. But I watched the fireflies for five minutes and came to the conclusion that they were too regular to be just blips. I don't know how they did it. (particle fx?) but this is the single effect that I'm most impressed with in CL.

Annoying Tune

At one spot on the map (line of washing i think) there is some music playing but i can't actually find the source. It's the most annoying tune i've ever heard, which i've been humming all week-end. ;-)

Where is it actually coming from and can i turn it off - Pleeaasse!!!!

That annoys you? I love that piece. I think it suits the atmosphere of the mission very well. I don't think you can turn it off, though.

Well - I meant annoying in a "tongue in cheek" way. I'm still humming it now ;-)

Gone, but never forgotten

I am playing in Garrett and in ghost .

I don't find the rest of the money.

I've 4995 on 5230
    Last edited by Lady Jo; 9th May 2002 at 10:15.

Originally posted by Weed

Also about the snags, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but there were a hell of a lot of them, in fact I'm getting stuck every couple of steps when trying to creep along a wall. I only remember a very few in the OMs.
    I ran into this problem myself during beta testing. I got snagged against walls left and right. Then, a wise taffer gave me these words:

Lean away from the wall while parallel to the wall. Then jump. You may have to do this a few times, but it often works. If not, then you're stuck with the restart.

That same wise taffer also told me that it's not a fault of the mission design, per se, but rather a "feature" of the Thief engine.

Hope that between this, and Nightwalker's advice, you're set.

-Theef

Originally posted by Old Man
    I've just finished my umpteenth run through of Act II: Midnight in Murkbell and my write-up. I'm short three hundred thirty-five loot and two pockets. Any suggestions please? Thanks. I'm going to move on to Act III: A Winter's Eve, now.
    After Mercedes, in the museum there is a golden vase on the ground, near the round window.
    Last edited by Lady Jo; 9th May 2002 at 11:53.

Merci, Lady Jo. I'll have a look.

Vampyre's Eye and security system

Where in the name of seventh star claster that Vampyre's Eye AFTER the undead and how i'm supposed to cross the second beam of security system in museum?
    A number of people posted that they were able to "hug" to the left wall and pass it;
    well, i don't see any space between wall and the beam and when i try to do it, i'm blasted into pieces.
    I've tried to search the forum for previous posts, but i didn't found answers.

Vampyre's Eye -
    spoiler:
    After you trigger the undead, the Eye moves to a building by the Market. Just to the right of the open market, there's a deserted building with open second story windows. You can rope arrow up into there and pick it up.

As for the beam in the Museum, I'm one of the ones who hugged the wall, so I'll have to let someone else help you with that. I do believe that some people took in boxes to get high enough to jump over one of the beams, but I don't know if that's the one you're stuck on or not.

To pass the 2 beam in the Museum, I put a moss arrow at ground and I jumped in diagonal, the edge of the walls killed me too.

For the light beams:

spoiler:
    I crouched under the first. Simply jumped over the second - a well timed diagonal jump can take you over it without hitting the third low beam - then crouchued and avoided the others.
    My first fanfic: The Black Heart of Winter : available for download at http://www.thief-thecircle.com/

Museum

After spending an outrageous amount of time in the the museum trying to avoid the guards, I finally gave up and moved on....

.. and I now have a very nice invitation, which would appear to get me into the museum without the agro.

However, the guards just slice me up anyway.

The nearest I got was sneeking inside, then opening the doors and the guard said 'Hello Dr Provost. Didn't see you there in black...' and then took my head off!!

Have I got deranged AIs here or am I missing something?

This has happened to several people and I don't believe anyone has come up with an explanation for it. Most of the time, it works perfectly. You walk up with your invitation, the guard opens the door for you and you can wander around most of the Museum unmolested.

Museum 4th floor guard (Garrett difficulty)

after following NW's trick for lifting the key from the lantern guard, i'm up on the 4th floor of the museum and can't get past the archer. she always hears the gate open and comes to investigate. i can't even snake her arrows without alarming her. i don't have a gas arrow and i don't want to burn all my moss arrows on one room. is is better to wait until after NOLD to get the painting? having met mercedes early in a previous run through, i want to do as much as possible before the freaks come out at night.

thanks.

Originally posted by Nightwalker
    Most of the time, it works perfectly.
    I think CL as a whole works nearly perfectly.

I have only played a few fan missions mainly because when I last looked at them, they lacked a certain something, a certain visual style and story line that made them obviously what they were - fan missions.

Having used DromEd and even created some levels, I definitely appreciated the dedication and technical skills needed to create missions, but as we all know, 'programmers' (I am one) don't necessarily have 'graphic design' skills (I certainly don't).

However, having downloaded a few recently, although not necessarily completed them, I see that things have moved on and the base level at which someone would be prepared to show their offering has risen to extraordinary levels. The months of work that must have gone into most of them is awesome. They may not be the 10 mission size of Thief 2, but the developers of Thief 3 would be mad not to have seen some of the originality and atmospheric design that many of them show.

And in this respect, CL is breathtaking. Act 1 felt a little 'fanish', with a guy running around wearing a barrel and getting Arkhyn's loot was a little too contrived for me, but Act 2 is just fantastic. And the star so far? Has to be that guy with the lantern!! I always wondered why so many guards in the OMs were happy to stand in the pitch black, when what would they do in real life? Carry a lantern! (Or is Thief real life? I get confused sometimes).

I should finish Act 2 by next week and then on to Act 3. I seem to remember seeing a list of 'Have you done the following things..' in the forum somewhere. Will go and look at that when all is finished.

(Meanwhile, I will go back to a previous save and try again at the museum).

peterjamesbond - I never had the archer up there alert from the noise of the elevator or the door. It's funny how things change in this one. The hardest part about doing the Museum later on is finding the key, so maybe you could leave it and come back later.

AfterDark - I'm glad you decided to come back and give some of the newer FMs a try. The quality of some of them is truly outstanding. When you have time, take a look at the 7th Crystal, if you haven't tried it already and also The Art of Thievery. Both are outstanding.

CL: Part2 - Garrett

What is this elixer offered at the beginning for $3000.00
    Is that a tease, or did I miss a hefty quantity of loot in Part 1, which isn't mentioned in the stats. Max loot in stats is $1605.00

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328 ... LastLast