TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314192429 ... LastLast

Thread: Calendra's Legacy Mission 2: Midnight in Murkbell (questions)

You can't collect enough loot to buy that potion. I suspect it was put in so you could read what it was. You can find one or two during the next missions and they're great. They heal you right back up, even if you're almost dead, so save them until you're desperate.

Museum Guards

Further my previous problem with the museum guards, I think I may have discovered what to do. I restarted from an earlier save, got the invitation, walked up to the museum and got sliced again!

However, upon investigation...

spoiler:
    If you simply walk round behind the door guard and go in, then the inside guards will attack you or if you leave the doors open and attract the attention of the door guard, he will also attack.

It seems you must go through the 'Oh, hello Dr. Provost...' bit for the internal guards to ignore you.

If you stand right in front of the door guard, he appears to ignore you, which is the point at which I ignored him and tried to go straight in. The secret is to wait. After a few seconds he will notice you and let you in thinking you are Dr. Provost. After this, it is straight forward.

I offer this in case anyone else has the same problem.

Thank you for posting your solution, AfterDark. That could very easily be the cause of the problem for a lot of people. I waited for the guard to make his speech and open the door, and I never ran into this problem.

Not a question, just a comment.

It's been a long time since I was scared witless by playing a game. When I got the BJ from my room I went around sneaking up on humans and knocking them out. Then I came upon a female standing all alone by the cafe. When I clubbed her she turned around and zombied me. I'm still shaking from that encounter. Nice touch.

Now, where are the funny names ??? like in Calendra's Cistern. It was that FM that had Gordon Lightfoot as a guard name wasn't it ?

I have a couple of questions.

In mission 2 it took me forever to realize that Mercedes' purse
    spoiler:
    was actually her diary. I had thought it was a joke on Garrett for being such a cad to steal from her. I only mistakenly right clicked on it once and voila! Then when I went to the station to deposit it in the office, I was unable to persuade Garrett to drop it. Oh, well someone else must have had this problem or a solution.

Also in mission 2 the invisible noisy one or the
    spoiler:
    ghost of the guardian really creeped me out. It took me a little to clue into the reality of what was going on and a bit longer to think of trying to use the infrared device (or whatever it's supposed to be) to try and see the stalker. Wow, what a kick! The freaking thing was searching this way and that. I decided at that point that I was going to kill it. It took a lot of damage. Then when I thought my triumphant moment had arrived, the mission ended saying that I had killed a human. Grr, angry krogger.
    Well, I wasn't going to let it go at that. so I tried my trick from the cistern
    spoiler:
    I whipped out a flash bomb and blackjacked the bugger. However, unlike in the prequel, the ghost wasn't knocked out. I killed the original model in this slightly cheesy fashion....one blackjack, plus one flashbomb followed by repetitve chopping motion on unconscious critter. Not very sporting I admit. Maybe the ghost was still angry over that little incident. Anyway, I was determined to put an end to any and all hostile undead in this mission so I tried a new tactic.
    Fortunately, there is such a thing as plausible deniability, following this vein I tried something else
    spoiler:
    First I killed all other undead in the area, then I whipped out the jewel of zombie summoning and went looking. When I heard the telltale grunts I used the jewel and my zombie went after the ghost. After a long fight (get something to eat and the seeing eye so you can watch the action) the zombie came through. No more angry grunts.
    So, if called before a jury I can always claim I have no control over my zombie.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 27th Mar 2012 at 15:38.

The problem with killing the
    spoiler:
    invisible ghost of the creature from CC is a bug, I believe. It wasn't supposed to be that way.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 2nd Apr 2012 at 09:09.

I'm finding this level a nightmare and am in desperate need of an invisability potion to get past the two priests at what I believe is the cathedral entrance. Can anybody help? As soon as I get close the game ends. I had the same problem with Basso in the first level and had to use an invisabilty potion and even then run like hell before he had finished speaking. I definately have a patched version of thief 2.

@ ouzman

spoiler:
    don't try to go to the front gate, there's another way. Go swimming, nearby is a tower with a hole in the wall, go up the stairs, and you are at the backside of the cathedral.

Thanks Christine. I think I've found the entrance you mentioned. Anyway, I'm now in the Cathedral grounds with some utra sensitive priests. They can even spot me in the dark but I am getting closer!!!

I've got this really irritating whine or alarm go off, which started when I got into police headquarters, and now triggers when I enter the Wizards place to try to fetch that sword. This didn't go off last time I was prowling. Is there a story here ?

"bump"

Could be the EAX bug. Thief's EAX is incompatible with some cards (or the cards are incompatible with Thief, whatever). The result is under certain conditions the card will just get stuck playing a loud annoying squeal.

The solution is to disable EAX (or get a new sound card)

The squeal happens whenever I enter a room or area which contains certain music. I know this because sometimes I don't get the whine. More often than not though, I'm burdened with an annoying background noise which drowns out any movement I may need to hear.
    I'll try turning EAX off, or reduce the audio channels. See if that helps. I can always return the settings when I finish this FM.

And who knows when that will be. I keep tripping over new things to do, and getting lost in the process. I've probably stumbled on the worse possible chronology in getting through this level, thinking scoring the BJ would make life easier when in fact its useless with a map full of deads now. Lightning fast skeletons, roaming gas, and that horrible horrible creature in bright blue loitering around the cafe. I'm still shaking from that first encounter

Thanks for your assistance.

Arghhhhh........

If only I had gotten the Vampyre Blade earlier !!!!

Did anyone have trouble opening The Gleaming Faucet ? Seems to be unlocked but the door doesn't lighten up when I approach it.

You can only open it before the undead appear. After that, it's not accessible.

Spell Book

It looks like I'm having problems no one else had. I chalk it up to the order in which I've done things. Basically I can now end the level. But I didn't do that stuff in the Wizards place, nor have I gone to the cemetary.

Now in order to place some items on the pentagram, I need a spell book. I've looked all over for a spell book, but can't find one. So I'm leaving that alone and hiking on over to the cemetary. Who knows, maybe there's a spell book there. Can someone verify this ?

The spell book will have been under your nose, or at least level with it..
    spoiler:
    In the room in the cathederal where you dropped the Cylix down the shoot.

Thanks Afterdark. I found it now.

Other Issues

There seems to be something invisible that I keep bumping into that growls like a dog. If I stick around, it takes a swipe at me and I lose health. But if I just move around it, nothing happens. I hope i'm not developing a psychosis.

I can't remember why I would want to go to the cemetary. Mercedes gave me the key, and I think it was to confront somebody, but damned if I can recall.

With the Gleaming Faucet now closed to me, apparently I have no access to loot inside. As I understand it though, the Vampyre Eye moves to a different location, which I already retrieved.

Looks like I'm gonna have to do the level over again. This time, however, I'll save the encounter with Mercedes till the end. So I'm dealing with swordsmen and archers more than undead. That may make it slightly easier.

Originally posted by Clock

There seems to be something invisible that I keep bumping into that growls like a dog. If I stick around, it takes a swipe at me and I lose health. But if I just move around it, nothing happens. I hope i'm not developing a psychosis.
    Don't worry, it's real alright! If you have been to the museum and to the value on the top floor, the gadget that helped you can make the creature visible! Best to avoid it really.

I can't remember why I would want to go to the cemetary. Mercedes gave me the key, and I think it was to confront somebody, but damned if I can recall.
    You would be after the
    spoiler:
    Cylix
    that you need steal back. Of course, there is loot there as well.

Looks like I'm gonna have to do the level over again. This time, however, I'll save the encounter with Mercedes till the end. So I'm dealing with swordsmen and archers more than undead. That may make it slightly easier.
    Excellent idea. I have just finished the whole mission and fully intend to go back to the start and redo it. Although meeting Mercedes is best left for the reason you gave, there are many other things which I would do differently in hindsight!

Good luck!

Thats odd. I retrieved the Cylix without going to the cemetary. But I had to work hard for it.

Wait a minute....I think I took a backdoor route to the cemetary, by way of the cathedral. That room must have been connected to the cemetary. But it was cram packed with nasties, so I didn't stick around to explore.

I'm going to cover this area more thoroughly, do the pentagram thing, then redo the level all over again. But this time, I know the lay of the land.

That's exactly what you did, Clock. You found the easiest way the first time without even knowing it!

Are you telling me that what has taken me a full week to do is the EASY way!! The archers and guardsmen are harder to get around than speedo skeleton, red handed priests, bright blue whatevers, and ghouls in general??

Maybe you're right. For whatever reason, I don't have the "creep" option for this fan mission, and that may be necessary for the museum, as an example.

Oh well, at least I won't get lost next time around

Can somebody tell me, if it's something wrong . I was in the cathedral,have delivered the cylix and have exited the area through the hole into the water, but the objective"deliver the cylix...." doesn#t click off. Then I entered my room, meet Mercedes ,she spoke with me and give me the key, I grab my stuff, but the objective doesn't click off. What's wrong?

Have you patched your Thief 2 game? Playing with an unpatched version of T2 is the most common cause of this problem. Unfortunately, there have also been a few people who had a patched game and still ran into this problem. I don't believe anyone has figured out what else could cause it, though. If your game is unpatched and you patch it now, you will probably have to restart at the beginning of the level, I'm afraid, but it's much easier the second time through, when you know where to go and what to do.

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314192429 ... LastLast