TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 30 12345611162126 ... LastLast

Thread: Calendra's Legacy Mission 2: Midnight in Murkbell (questions)

Calendra's Legacy Mission 2: Midnight in Murkbell (questions)

At vandi's suggestion, I'm opening one thread for questions about each mission/act and we'll try that.

Please post questions about Mission 2 (Midnight in Murkbell) in this thread. Anything that is a general question or remark about the mission pack, or covers more than 1 mission can still be posted in the release thread, if you like.
    There you can also find download links.

Please use spoiler cover when posting specifics to prevent people from inadvertently seeing too many details.

In case this thread doesn't provide an answer to your question you can also decide to consult
    - the walkthrough (compiled by Old Man) at http://thiefmissions.com/walkthrough...asLegacy2.html or
    - the loot list (by Klatremus) at http://home.online.no/~ajnilsen/hn/hn_CL2.htm for help.

Quick navigation:
    T1 FM "CALENDRA'S CISTERN" official release thread
    T2 FM "Calendra's Legacy" official release thread
    Calendra's Legacy Mission 1: A Meeting With Basso (questions)
    Calendra's Legacy Mission 2: Midnight in Murkbell (questions) -- currently viewing
    Calendra's Legacy Mission 3: A Winter's Eve (questions)
    Last edited by nickie; 2nd Nov 2012 at 04:29.

Is Mercedes supposed to give you the
    spoiler:
    key to the Cemetery
    in Expert mode? I was just wondering because her conversation in Garrett's hotel room was interrupted by three guards and one nobleman that chased me there. I hid behind her (hehe, how brave I am) and the guards came in before she began to speak. She then she blasted the #@!& out of them. I reloaded four times because I had not gotten behind her before she began firing (ouch ). the objectives still clicked off, but she did not speak again, even when I went out of the room and back in again.

how beautiful is CL, ...

my 2 questions:

1 - about the plot: I was wondering
    spoiler:
    why Garrett is upset with Mercedes when he meets her in his rented room, on the comeback from the cathedral, and why does Mercedes have magical blasting power
    I'm not so good at listening english, so maybe I missed something, or what?

2 - I do not see the transition movies: any hint, please?

(I searched thourgh first CL thread, nothing seems to be posted answering my doubts; if it is not so, sorry for the repeated question)

again: thanx Purah & c. (and BTW to ALL FM designers)

i've had a lot of problems with the conversations also...throughout all of the mission, not just #2. some required reloading to a previous save to fix, other times going away for a while then coming back seemed to fix it.

i got stuck in #2 on replaying it and thoroughly checking out everything.. in the police station, you can lean semi-through that window, get the contents of the crate & frob the button, but then i was stuck, seemingly on the inside, but couldn't jump down or get back outside of that office (stuck in texture or something). i know there's no way out of it, but thought maybe worth mentioning...don't try it, heh

Originally posted by Xious
    Is Mercedes supposed to give you the
    spoiler:
    key to the Cemetery
    in Expert mode? ......
    yes, she does

Can anyone explain why, sometimes when i draw a weapon, garrett releases a red cloud of noxious fumes? it's just not dignified for the king of thieves to have such bad gas!

Can you do anything with jortul's mummified head, or is it just for looks?

I only found 2870 out of 5230 loot, was looking for it but finally gave up and moved on to the next mission. I cant imagine where the rest of it might be hiding.

Thanks again Purah. Love CL!

I need more advise please Nightwalker..

spoiler:
    Well I finally got to the Seeing Eye...don't know how I ever found that place in the first place...and I did not see any way at all turning off either light near that doorway? I also got lock picked on chest in Wiz's place and all I got was a gas arrow? No loot! OK so then I get into the Museum and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do as far as guards and goods. Just go around and pick things up and I won't be bothered as I'm Dr. P. and authorized to check things out? LOL OK then, I read the scroll and it says a crate has a lot of holy water in it...I can't break it cause I've nothing to break it with? I did find out about the key from another post so that's solved. But am I supposed to use the Seeing Eye to see beams...although I found a button upstairs thats supposed to turn them off? What's with the force field I think when I look over the ledge upstairs down below me and the fountain, etc. After this gets cleared up and do my thing in there, I'll be ready for Vampire Eye treak

Thank you for the help to understand this part so I can travel on Ta and Good Hunting!
    It's not how you win, it's how you play the game! HAVE FUN!

Lister
    Tozzifan:
    I think Garrett's mad because these things happen way to often when Keepers are involved... They trick him into helping some madman, then he has to save the world! Things like that can really get on your nerves.

Spidercat:
    LOL! The fumes are not gas, silly. Or maybe that's just the curse of being a vampire.
    Vampiric gas?

For the playful: That "child of Alcandor" can really kick some serious butt! As soon as I found out what the vampire's eye did, I kind of went on a killing spree! It spoils the game in some ways, but its really helpful against those damn metal head guards who refuse to call it a day. And it's fun to watch too. Not only is he a bloodthirsty MF, he also opens locked doors and gates with the wave of a rotting hand. I've always wanted me a pet zombie
    Just remember to "lock him up" after he's done his dirty business, as the guards tend to spot you (even in complete darkness).

The Fire Eater =
    spoiler:
    The Eye of True Seeing is used for the 4th floor vault. You don't have to get into there on Footpad, but when you do, you need the Eye to see the beams that spring a trap that kills you. If you do go into the Vault, then afterwards the guards are alerted and it's harder to get out than it was to get in!! There is some loot in there, though. As for the loot downstairs, I just picked it all up when the guards weren't watching and no-one seemed to notice. The porch light you can turn off is way over by the small bridge on the next street, not very near the Museum.

As for the crate with the holy water, just throw it up against the wall until it breaks.

I'm not sure which force field you mean. I guess I didn't notice it.

The button you found turns off the alarm system on the Berulean Diamond on the 3rd floor. It has no monetary value and you don't need it on Footpad, so I'd leave it alone. The door beside the button leads to the Vault. If you decide to try getting into it, you need to pick a key from the Lantern Guard, which isn't easy, because of that darn light.

Spiderkat -
    spoiler:
    Jortul's head is one of the pieces used to assemble the pieces of the Amulet. There is a spellbook in the Cardinal's room in the Cathedral that tells you what pieces you need to find to put it together, but it is a side quest and not a necessity at all.

Well now I'm even more confused regarding amulet...

spoiler:
    I'm baffeled regarding this item...I keep seeing where you say it isn't necessary to do...why not? I thought this was supposed to give me a super weapon to fight the undead etc when the time comes, since I can't have a sword and a BJ is of no value...OK I've got water arrows and a few holy water vessels but apparently that's not all I'll need from what I've been reading? And what about this Vampire Eye, just what am I supposed to do with it after once putting it in the amulet if the amulet is of no value to me? I don't understand how to use this Seeing Eye thing either. OK, it's supposed to unlock the vault...I guess that must be another door on the other side of the door I open with key I get from guard, however it seems that on the other end of this hallway on the other side...are some potions? Can't tell for sure cause I'm using zoom to try and see. As I tried to describe, when I was up on fourth floor and I look over the middle hole in that room, you see what (for a better description) looks to me like a force field or is it just glass over whatever is underneath...looks in part a fountain, etc. Anyway, the Seeing Eye...don't understand how to use it for beams?
    That's it for the moment and appreciate the help By the way, where does this forum reside? 8 hours difference from my real time? Gads, LOL

Hi, Fire Eater - I'm sorry if I confused you! I'll try to be clearer.
    spoiler:
    I only meant that the Amulet was NOT an objective, so you don't have to do it. It definitely has value as a weapon at a certain point in the mission and it's well worth putting together for that purpose.

One of the Eyes is supposed to have another function, also later in the mission, if you haven't put together the Amulet yet, but I've never tried it. I prefer to assemble the Amulet before I go to the rented room.

In the Museum, the key from the guard opens the vault door. Then "Use" the Eye of True Seeing on the corridor in front of you. A bunch of red beams will become visible. If you break one of the beams, you trigger a trap and you're dead. Once you can see them, you can get past them. You can slide by the ones that go straight across if you hug the wall. It doesn't seem to disturb them, at least it didn't for me.

I think what you saw down through the hole was the glass center in the 2nd floor room.

I think this forum is set at Grenwich time, unless you change it to your own. I can't remember how, so I'll go check and add it at the bottom.

O.K. Up above the message, you'll see a row of buttons, labelled User CP, Register, Calender, Memebers, etc. Click on User CP and when you get to that page, click on "Edit Options" Scroll down towards the bottom and there's a place where you can set the forum to show your own time zone. It's very handy!

Alrightie...understood about amulet...but...

spoiler:
    Apparently you have to choose whether you want amulet or the Power that just the Vamp Eye gives you? Hmmmm...really wonder which is better for what enemies and which you could handle yourself with the other items you have and use whichever power you would really be needing one or the other for? LOL I still haven't found any fire arrows yet...wonder where they're hiding?

OK...I'll go back to my little ole hide/seek game and see if I can get to Vamp Eye today. I am curious about the window I see above in the bldg to the right side of Museum as you face outward along side of it? It doesn't look like I could rope up but wonder how you could get up there as it definately looks like you should be able to get inside? Have you been able to do so? There's no wooden beam that I can see and the other side faces the water with no way up that I recall? It's driving me crazy though...cause I feel like I should be able to see a way up there, LOL

Ta and Good Hunting

Fire Eater -
    spoiler:
    The Amulet, when assembled, is very powerful. You can only use it three times, though, in one night.

As for that open window, if it's the one I'm thinking off then, yes you can get up into there. You can sink a rope arrow right into the open window. I guess it's more of a shutter, even though it doesn't really look like it.

There are fire arrows, but I don't remember too many places to get them. On Footpad, if you go to Peabody's (Smelting place that's between the Windmill and the Wizard's Guild), there's a bunch in there, for sure. I think you get firearrows from the safe in the Police station, too, which is close to Peabody's.(What you get out of the safe changes with difficulty levels, but I THINK it was fire arrows on Footpad.) Did you notice the water and fire arrows on the wall in the Museum? You can pick those up, too.

Could we get a how-to for the easter-eggs? I would really like to see them!

Bo

Hee hee, Have I been a busy Tafferette today :)

spoiler:
    After I wrote my earlier message...when I went back in today to play I decided to shoot an arrow up there anyway...surprise...it stuck and up I went. I figured since I had a QS and if the arrow broke I'd just reload and get it back...no worries! So then I made my way to location of Vamp Eye...no problem! Even found the little room to shut off that light you referred to earlier and in another little hide-a-way found another moss arrow...almost missed it though. So then I get inside of Gleaming joint and do my business. The only one that has seen me at all is that creep that keeps wandering around...I think it's that kid you all have mentioned who had the other eye but he didn't see me break into the place. So now I'm in Museum and yes I saw those two arrows on the wall already. Got the diamond...don't know what for? Found the picture with a locked window behind it...for a fast escape? Got everything I can but cannot for the life of me figure out when to get that key off the guard? Your RIGHT...it's damn hard! What's the trick of getting it anyhow? Right now I'm hiding in elevator so he can't see me and I'm hoping when he passes by I can lean out and grab it. I'll be behind him in the dark so he can't see me...will that work? I've tried a few times from different places/times and he keeps snagging me After this then its the Wiz's place again...holy molie Do I also have to avoid the wiz on top while I put things on the Pentagram?
    I don't think that matters now though, since I already went in earlier without his knowledge and took care of chest, etc.

spoiler:
    I haven't figured out how to get in foundry...you said to wait and do that last??? Is there some way to get over to it via the roof from my apt. I still don't know how I'm supposed to get to that ladder outside there that I spotted earlier I was asking about. Once inside foundry...will that turn out to be my escape route out of there? So do I do that before I go to my apt actually or after? I still have to find Mercedes too...My loot now is pretty good after Museum visit but still need to get goodies out of vault I've got over 3K and says there's around 4800 to be had...so after vault it should be pretty close?

So what's your advise my guru of FM's Ta and Good Hunting!

Wow! You got lots done, for sure, Fire Eater.
    spoiler:
    The diamond is only required on Cat Thief, so it doesn't really have any purpose for you.

Getting the key of the blasted Lantern guard is a pain, because he lights everything up!! The way I found the easiest was downstairs, where you come in. I layed a moss arrow between the bottom of the stairs and the archway to the room where you found the water and fire arrows on the wall. (Make sure none of the gaurds catch sight of your weapon or your toast.) Then I went way back towards the doors to the very end of the carpet and as close as I could get to the wall underneath the stairs. I just sat there and waited for him to come down. He does, though not as often as the other guard. Then, when he hit the bottom of the stairs, I ran over and snatched the key before he got off the mossy part of the floor. I tried the elevator trick, but he always seemed to know I was there. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Yes, you still have to be careful at the Wizard's, but you'll do fine. It's not very hard, really.

As for the Factory, leave it until after you meet Mercedes', then go out the back of that building and you can sink a rope arrow into the underside of the steps and use it to jump over to the back of the police station. From there you can walk up the side of the river until you're across from a ledge on the other side that's close to where the ladder leads up. Jump over and you can mantle up to the part with the ladder and you'll be in. (This is also an easy way into the Police station, if you manage to get Mercedes' purse. Make sure you read her diary!) At this point, you can probably go in through the front doors, too. But that depends on exactly what happens. I don't want to say too much, but you'll know what I mean when it happens.

Wow...that method sounds even difficult to pull off :-(

spoiler:
    The timing of getting to him is very marginal at best...and I don't understand why Purah had to make that so very difficult? I'll try my elevator routine a few times to see if I can pull it off but it seems like if you try and grab the key while the lantern has it lit, you can't get it...has to be when it's not. Example...doors and those lanterns near by. If you highlight a lantern to check to see if you can turn it off or pick it up...it will open a door...so therefore the lantern is the trigger? So my thought is..if you try to frob the key when the lantern is lighting it..the lantern is sending the trigger to the guard that your trying to pick the key? I dunno but that's the impression I get...

spoiler:
    Re: the Wiz's place...If I'm not supposed to cross the lines, how in the heck am I supposed to get close enough to put some of the stuff where it needs to go? i.e..the head since it has to go in the middle? I have to get fairly close just to try and lean over to drop it in the right position...then move around for the other items w/o letting Wiz see me...eyahhh!!!! Don't think it's going to be all that easy

spoiler:
    Well of couse I've been reading other posts to get some ideas and I know there's something fishy about Mercedes but I still really don't know where she's hanging out? I haven't seen her in my travels yet although of course I saw her out of my apt's window. I tried finding her then and couldn't...maybe I wasn't supposed to then cause I was pretty sure I went to the area where I thought she was? I guess when I do find her I'm not supposed to let her see me since I'm supposed to pick her purse. I did get the loot in her appt in the first mission, one of the few places I did find some, LOL Guess I'll be stumbling around with that task trying to figure out what to do to make it work the way it's supposed to? I kindof know the way to get to Knife Rd now though...cause on my way to G.F. I got close to it. That bridge route is a pretty neat way to go and going there via the back way from Museum is an easier way to get to those areas and thanks for the tip.

So I guess in a little while after I finish with Mom I'll fire it up and see what happens next Wish me luck! Ta and Good Hunting!

The Fire Eater -
    spoiler:
    The lantern doesn't do anything like that, for sure. It's just like in the first mission, though. If he's seen you recently, he'll be on first alert and if you try to pick the key at that point, he'll react. That's why I did the stairs thing. It was the only place I could find where I could stay out of his sight (and the light of that lantern), so he would stay unalerted and I could pick the key. It DOES work, but it requires patience. I know you have lots of that, though.

spoiler:
    You can cross the lines in the Wizards Guild. You've been reading other posts, haven't you?? The Pentagram they are talking about is at the end of Mission #3. It doesn't apply to the one in the Wizard's Guild at all.

spoiler:
    You rented room is marked on the map. The back of it is right across the canal from the back of the Police station. There's a second story wood balcony above the canal. You can get there by rope arrowing into the underside of the balcony and jumping over. Then you go up the outdoor stairs to the balcony and over to your door. You can also get there through the streets. If you go out the entrance from the square with the Gleaming Facet that is opposite the one you come in when you're coming from the Black Die, I think you just follow the streets straight ahead. When you go in, Mercedes will come out and do a speech. After she's done, just sit behind her. (I put out the lights, because it seemed to work better, but it might have just been coincidence) and wait for her to go off of alert. Save before you try to pick her purse, because if you do and it won't come off, then she's alerted again. If she takes off out to the streets before you've got it, just follow her and stay out of sight. You should be able to get it. When she stops and stands in a square, you're almost out of time, because she'll disappear shortly after that.

How is your Mom, by the way??

confused

Is Garrett suppose to have a blackjack in mission 2 ?

Not until later, but since you're having so many problems, I'll tell you a secret.

spoiler:
    You can get your BJ if you're really quick. You have to go north of the Black Die and follow the streets to your rented room, duck in and you can grab your BJ, jump in the water and get thee to the Cathedral quickly. It might take you awhile to figure out the route so you can do it fast enough. I'd post the route for you, but I'm making dinner and I don't have time to go write it down. If you want it, e-mail me and I'll do it later for you. You can't BJ the guards in the yard outside the Cathedral, but you CAN BJ the ones inside. If you get it, use it VERY sparingly or you may seriously regret it later on.

slighty off topic - more a disclaimer than a question

Okay so I finally got CL, and I've just got to Midnight at Murkbell.

First off - wow - what a mission... salivate, salivate... best fm ever... Okay now I've got that out of my system - the disclaimer.

I've been working for the past six weeks or more (when time allows) on a piece of fan fiction. It involves a vampyre. Ha Ha, suddenly I notice references to a vampyre in CL (same spelling variation as well ).

I'm just going on the record now to say that 1. I was working on it before I played CL! and 2. hopefully it is nothing like the vampyre stuff in CL (I've only caught references so far so I don't know how much of the story is vampyre orientated or not).

Purah - it's not plagerism (if I ever finish the story!!!)

Placed on this thread because the references started in this mission and I didn't want to start a further thread that mentioned CL!
    Last edited by Taliesin; 12th Apr 2002 at 18:23.

Where is the Cardinal? I looked hi and low but nothing to find.

Edit:

I found the shoot.

I made my way to the city street but a the AI are nuts again. How are you suppose to find your way to the apartment with all the nutty AI ? It seems like I'm going in circles with these guys. The map doesnt tell me much on how to find Garretts room.
    Last edited by howie; 12th Apr 2002 at 19:07.

Going to the room now might not be a good idea. If you do
    spoiler:
    you may trigger an objective change that you wouldn't probably want right now. I was serious when I said you needed to do it BEFORE the Cathedral. Now you have an objective to go to the rented room and that changes things. Someone said they could duck in and pick up equipment without triggering the objective, but someone else said that when they did it, it broke the game, so be warned!
    What do you mean "the AI are nuts again"?? There's usually a couple running for a bit, but that should stop. There will be more guards stationed at various spots through the city, but you should be able to get around them. Your rented room is marked on the map. It's towards the North. Also, keep in mind that the canals make a good travel route to some places.

Didn't you have this same problem with The Burgomaster?? It was Thief 1 so that couldn't have been the patch. (Or was that someone else that had that problem?)

Originally posted by Nightwalker
    If you get it, use it VERY sparingly or you may seriously regret it later on. [/B]
    Your quote is confusing. I thought if I got the BJ before delivering the package I'd regret it...you said "that I didn't need it right now".

spoiler:
    Anyways, I got out of the Cathedrel. All the guards in the streets started chasing me all the way to my room. Mercedes killed them all as I ran around the room in a panic.
    This fm is insain.

Am I the only one having this problem?

I am playing on easy.
    I make it to the cathdral, drop the thingy down the chute, he threatens me, I run, and the objective never ticks off. Nor does the one about going back to the rented room and grabbing my stuff (which I do, after having yet another wonderful encounter with Mercedes).
    Then, anytime I happen to be in the area of my room, Mercedes starts her little speech again....

Page 1 of 30 12345611162126 ... LastLast