TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuck in Hellsmotel

Thanks for pointing that piece of loot out, Dreamer. I'd missed that one.

Ha, I got a good laugh at picking the piece of loot out of the
    spoiler:
    Toilet!! LOL!
    I found the bottle right away, the one behind the crates. I am very glad people are enjoying this one. Amievil and I picked this thing apart on the beta. Changing guard paths, tweaking here and there. Making the ghost behind the bar more of a ghost. He was worried, worried about having to split up the mission. Worried it was too easy. We talked and talked about it, he tried to add interest to the mission. Making each level interesting within itself. Worthy of play on the different difficulities. I laughed when one time, I opened a sewer and the cover flew away!!! Weeeee, watch it go up, Up and away! Hehehe. That was funny. He is really trying with this. His plan for the future missions, from what little he has spoiled me with is great. I enjoyed reading the briefings too. They pulled you in, well written, and made you think too. Garrett is usually portrayed in the here and now, so to read about an aging Garrett was fascinating in itself.
    Thanks for playing this one people. I still need to play the final version of it. Haha, wait for part 2. Aaaahhh the big wall that goes around the buildings on the city streets? Anyone notice that? THAT"S the hotel, in the upcoming mission for part 2. Most evil. BOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! He made a comment last night. WHY DID I MAKE THIS THING SO BIG!!!!! Hehehe. We'll love it, yes we will.

Another piece of loot I missed! Thanks, BA! I thought I'd checked all the toilets, but obviously not carefully enough. I'm looking forward to the next mission in the series.

correction ...... that inner wall around the streets isnt the motel, its the wall around the motel. but its still quite huge. those screens that i posted just doesnt do it justice.

i want to point out that the reason the objectives are a little different on each difficulty is because in part 2 of this its like playing three fms in one. each difficulty leads to doing things differernt. expert though on part 2 is what this thing is really all about.

also, regarding the storyline...garrett is tellling talon the story of what happened, and when he is getting to details you are playing it. so in part 2 the story continues of garrett talking about the motel(which will be your briefing) and then in part 3 it kinda takes a turn back to garrett and talon. but there is a big twist on the story at that point. cant say no more....must hold back lips hehe
    Last edited by amievil?; 7th May 2002 at 16:04.

Oh yes, that wall that surrounds the hotel. Haha, still damn big though!

Funny this thread is titled "Stuck in HellsMotel." I been physically stuck so many times that I get so frustrated I have to give up and come back later. I jumped into the water tower and ended up reloading because I couldn't get back out because the water is "running". At the house near the bridge/stream, I tried several dozen times to get up through that horizontal door in the floor, usually getting stuck and having to reload. Also, the roof in the attic (same house) was so low that I couldn't get off the ladder. I ended up using a rope arrow, climbing up and jumping off. I tried that well over 100 times (no, I'm not kidding) before I finally was able to make it over to the chest on the other side of the attic. Plus, there were ladders all over the place that I couldn't get down from without jumping off and alerting all of the guards.

I use TDP with the TG patch, and like fornever, every time I play a TG fan mission, I wonder if things are screwed up. This one is no exception.

Sorry, I had to rant after getting stuck so many times.

brian, sorry for the tight spots. all these buildings were made without regard to floor plan, meaning i built them without making a floor plan for them, right outta my head. some places are poorly designed. ill keep your frustrations in mind on the next one. i dont think it was the t1 thing with the patch. i also have probs with that attic, as for coming up through the floor, i crouched, opened the door, stood on the "block', and got up quite easily. i didnt think that one would be too tough. as for the water tower, its possilbe to get out a couple people have noticed it , it is my forgetfulness that lead to that one with the water flowing when it shouldnt be. oh well.

With a little help from amievil, I now have 1773 out of the 1993 loot that is listed on the stats screen. Apparently, 200 gold is unobtainable, so the maximum you can really pick up is 1773. I thought I'd post this for future reference.

How to end the FM?

Am I just being thick or what? I'm playing on Normal (Easy), and I've achieved all of the objectives except the one concerning finding an entrance to the sewer. I've been down all 3 of the manholes I could open, but the mission doesn't end. What am I missing? BTW, I've really enjoyed the layout and ambience of this FM.

If I remember correctly, on Normal, the mission should end when you climb down inside the manhole cover that is very close to the Graveyard. If you went down before all your other objectives were completed, it wouldn't have registered, so you should probably do it again. If it's not that, then I'm afraid I don't have a clue. It worked fine for me when I played it.

Thanks, NW

That did it! I know I went down there before, and I guess I had not reached my loot objective at that point. The area just didn't strike me as the entrance to the sewers since it was closed in by bars. Thanks.

Hell's Motel question

I read a thread about getting on top of the building near the children's hospital to find some loot. Cannot find a way up to that rooftop (looks like a reverse mohawk) that is split down the middle. Any ideas?

If you go through the park (from the side of town you start on) and out the other side, turn left and there's a ladder against the back wall. Climb it, onto the park wall and you can jump over to that roof.

I'm playing on expert, have 1673 loot, and have spent a very long time trying to find the correct entrance to the sewer. I'd like to finish this misison before playing the next one, which is why I'm asking for hints. I've been on the outer walls, all accessable rooftops (AFAIK), beaten open some doors with nothing behind them, etc. - most everywhere except for the balcony with the guard near the jail. I read the "lover's note" and can't seem to find the area it references, thinking if I did, I'd be able to enter the sewer there.

Thanks for any hints/spoilers and thanks to amievil? for the mission.

If memory serves, on Expert you
    spoiler:
    enter the sewer inside the jail.

Thank you very much, Nightwalker. I had been in the jail several times and, in my haste, overlooked it every time. I spent most of my time scouring other areas.

spoiler:
    What I don't understand is, how would the guards not be alerted to someone routinely breaking into their jail to enter a secret door in a closed cell that would most likely need to be left open to actually access it? (being the "sewer way" mentioned in the note) Ah, I guess I'm overanalyzing in an effort to ease my frustration in overlooking it in the first place!

garrett comes back later, opens the cell by the switch on the wall, gets into the cell and enters the sewers. play part 2

DUHHHHHHHHHHHH

Read this whole thread...went back and read the briefing....got my hint about
    spoiler:
    the key being with the 3 guards.....knocked them out....no key....have knocked out every single guard and been everywhere (i think) and cannnot find the key to prison so that i can get down into the sewers........i see that it is not supposed to be so difficult...but either i am aging also.....or.......
    Someone please give me a fairly direct lead. i am playing on hard...and have read that i cannot get in that way on hard....sooooooooooooooooooo....what???????????

You have to play on expert to get the key.

There are several different sewer hatches in town. On Hard, you don't get into the prison so you need to look for a different hatch to find access to the sewers.

i have been to every hatch...opened one that leads into a house with 2 people and a flashbomb........and spent about 2 minutes picking the lock for basically nothing!!! i have run all over looking for another frobbable hatch...and it just aint happening...very specific hint/spoiler please. actually, not so sure i will even finish this one...i am having lots of trouble with ladders, tightspots, not being able to get out of water, etc...so i am frustrated. whew, now that's off my chest........off i go

oops....it just did not give me a little sound to indicate that was in the right place.
    Last edited by nil8hate; 4th Dec 2003 at 03:14.

This is the first of a five-part campaign that was never completed. When I saw the long briefing text in the read-me file, my heart sank: I was not willing to read that much fan fiction. So I jumped into the mission without knowing the backstory. How does a motel fit into the world of the Dark Project anyway? Isnít a motel a hotel designed for owners of motorized vehicles?

In the mission, you traverse a wide, open city street on foot. Several of the buildings on both sides can be accessed and looted. Fine in theory, but I personally think Thief works better in narrow, cramped spaces as opposed these wide open areas: You can spot patrolling guards for afar, wait in a dark spot, and blackjack them when they pass by. This was way too easy. Since there is no challenge, the gameplay becomes boring. I resorted to bunny hopping a lot to get to places faster.

There were several areas which I would have loved for the author to fix after some bugtesting: 1. Several ladders are placed in way that makes it difficult to get off them. I could not get off the ladders leading up the water tower and the attic where the too lovers are. I had to jump to the side and grab a ledge instead. 2. Some stairs were also problematic: I was not able not walk normally up the stairs in the building with the stroboscopic light and had to mantle up several of the steps. 3. There is an invisible door next to a woman on a balcony who is carrying a purse. 4. The placard with the electricity warning is floating in front of the wooden board it is supposed to be attached to. 5. The people gathered around the fire in South Hampton Cemetary go into search mode when they spot you, but then wander around as if they were blind. I think there is no flee point set for them. 6. The barkeeper does not react to you, but will become alert if you make noise. This is a bit of an immersion breaker. 7. The time it takes to pick the locks of the two sewer access shaft lids is way too long. 8. You can't avoid being seen by several innocent because they are standing in cramped, brightly lit rooms you must traverse through.

Finished on Normal in 44 minutes with 786 of 1223 total loot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12