TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shadow of Doubt (2002)

Yes, that worked. I didn't have to restart the level, just from my last "save", which was prior to entering the sewers. Got nowhere near the max loot, but that's ok. I know I missed stuff at the very first part, which I can't go back to anyway.

Thanks

Are Tears of Blood or Tuttocomb's Tomb in this campaign different from the versions released earlier? I already played Tears of Blood twice: once in its original version with the title "Escape from Guilesatpeak" and once in its standalone re-release as "Tears of Blood". I also already played the earlier standalone release of Tuttocomb's Tomb.

In the campaign Tuttocomb's Tomb is almost exactly the same as the stand alone mission apart from Sperry changed a number of names and added a hoard-load of zombies. Tears of Blood is the same as the stand alone mission of the same name, which is grittier in looks than Escape from Guilesatpeak, with a little more loot and a few keys changing name.

So safe to say you can skip these 2 missions and save yourself a bit of time, but enjoy both Broadsword of Sheol and Nightcrawler, both are superb.
    Last edited by fortuni; 9th Jul 2019 at 16:13.

Thank you very much, fortuni! I will skip these two missions. Looking forward to the other ones, I read many positive comments about them.

I think it would have been better to release these missions individually. They were created as individual missions and the interconnecting story was later shoehorned in. It is told only in brief cutscenes. None of the readables in the missions themselves make reference to the cutscenes. Also, the quality of the mission varies wildly: Nightcrawler feels like Sperry‘s earliest attempt at a mission, while The Broadsword of Sheol is probably his most accomplished one.

Walking The Edge
    Finished 2019-07-11 on Fool in 52 minutes with 1043 of 2543 total loot. Rating: 6/10.

Liked:
    • The rambling cultist text about the Acension Path is great! Hilariously nonsensical.

Disliked:
    • Garrett is not a murderer for hire. Never once in the original missions.
    • After I opened the gate, Dupont ran away to face a wall near the sewer shaft, staring at it without saying another line. Instead of him telling me what to do next, a new objective popped up. It felt like a line of his did not trigger.

Possible Bugs:
    • Dupont did not pull the lever to open the gate. Instead, I pulled the lever myself and then threw a wooden crate under it before it could fully close again. Then I stacked a second wooden crate on top of the first one and pulled the lever again. I was able to barely run against the top box to get the gate close on top of the upper box. This allowed me to crawl under the gate.
    • The door of the guard near the gate you have to open clips into the lantern on the wall.
    • A lantern down in sewer floats next to a wall.
    • NewDark makes it possible to climb up to the rooftops. There were several plumes of smoke in midair where chimneys should have been.

All Astir
    Finished 2019-07-11 on Fool in 17 minutes with 1238 of 1983 total loot. Rating: 4/10.

Liked:
    • If I remember correctly, this is the first fan mission set solely on a ship. A nice change of scenery from all the mansions, temples, catacombs and caves.

Disliked:
    • It is a small mission and not very memorable.
    • The guard conversation "medley" at the beginning does not work in German because it switches between different voice actors.

The Broadsword of Sheol

Finished 2019-07-16 on Fool in 1 hour and 43 minutes with 450 of 550 total loot. Rating: 7/10.

Liked:
    • The beginning with the slow descent into the catacombs was atmospheric.
    • The architecture is carefully crafted and the puzzles are clever.
    • The fast craybeasts were very scary. I jumped each time when they appeared in a new area.
    • The new model of the skeleton looks very good. I was especially impressed with the way it appeared amidst plumes of smoke. I am suprised I have not seen the model with those effects in more missions.
    • The giant spider at the end caught me by surprise. Also something I have not yet seen in other missions.

Disliked:
    • I spent a long time wandering through the mostly empty catacombs, looking for clues. This became boring after a while.
    • The mission is very linear and comes to a grinding halt once you miss something.
    • I got stuck for the first time because the hammer disappeared when I picked it up from the floor. It felt like a bug. I did not realize it turns into a weapon. I needed a hint from the forums for this. The weapon should auto-activate when you pick it up.
    • Falling from the third story of the high and long hall to the ledge below, grabbing onto the ledge just in time to prevent any falling damage… that took more than 40 tries. Is there a better way to do that? If not, this sucks.
    • Where did I pick up the fire arrow? Had I known it was in my inventory, I would have used the explosive charge and would not have needed my second hint from the forums.
    • Forcing the player to run to a lock several times to attempt to pick it was devilish. I could not believe this really was what I was supposed to be doing and got stuck for the third time.

Nightcrawler
    Finished 2019-07-19 on Fool in 1 hour and 48 minutes with 5141 of 5161 total loot. Rating: 2/10.

Liked:
    • It felt satisfying each time I was able to find another key and get access to more areas of this impossibly large mansion.

Disliked:
    • I agree with what someone in another thread wrote: "Got to be one of the most frustrating missions I've ever played."
    • Ugly, basic architecture with poor lighting.
    • Lots of sound propagation issues near doors.
    • Keyhunt with keys hidden in places where you have to blind-frob to find them.
    • Gave up and used hints for the switch to open the secret door near the indoor pool and on how to open the gate to the top floor. Both were a bit unfair.
    • Each time you leave the mansion, the „objective complete“ chime plays.

Possible Bugs:
    • An invisible Burrick in the basement nearly gave me a heart attack when it belched right next to me.
    Last edited by <Username>; 21st Jul 2019 at 07:25. Reason: Corrected entry about items not showing up in inventory, increased rating for Nightcrawler to 2/10

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    • Forcing the player to run to a lock several times to attempt to pick it was devilish. I could not believe this really was what I was supposed to be doing and got stuck for the third time.
    If you're talking about the lock to the door leading to the room with four obelisks before the broadsword, you can use arrows to shoot the button that reveals the lock through a hole in the wall, so you don't have to run back and forth the whole way. This way, you can pick the lock quickly enough that you only have to hit the button once.

Also, items not displaying in your inventory automatically is a game option (Main Menu > Options > Game > Auto-Equip On/Off), it shouldn't be tied to this fm. You pick up a fire arrow from a chest along the way so this is probably why you didn't notice. If you recently changed newdark versions, the option might have been switched off.

Thanks for the review Username...

But ouch you can be a bit harsh sometimes can't you.

There have been many missions both OM's and FM's where Garrett has a primary objective to kill someone.
    Dupont has always been buggy, even in OD, complex scripting and Thief Engine often don't sit comfortably with each other. One day I'll be going back to debug all the T1/TG missions, once we've done the T2 missions, but I suspect we won't be able to fix Dupont.
    Yes Broadsword of Sheol is a tough mission with some unusual solutions. I would never have finished it without cheating and using Dromed to find the way forward.
    Nightcrawler has always been a love it or leave it mission. Personally I love it, a lot of clever ideas, a well built map, but yes a frustrating mission to play.

Btw the Burrick is meant to be invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Schlock View Post
    If you're talking about the lock to the door leading to the room with four obelisks before the broadsword, you can use arrows to shoot the button that reveals the lock through a hole in the wall, so you don't have to run back and forth the whole way. This way, you can pick the lock quickly enough that you only have to hit the button once.
    I used this method and still had to do it twice. But I believe you it is possible to get it done on the first run with better angling.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlock View Post
    Also, items not displaying in your inventory automatically is a game option
    Interesting. I do not remember changing these options and I did not update NewDark since 2018. I always had the option activated to have items display in the inventory after picking them up.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    But ouch you can be a bit harsh sometimes can't you.
    I tried to point out both things I liked and disliked. Let me know if there is anything that goes beyond critique into insult. By the way, when I found the second hidden but necessary key in Nightcrawler solely by blindly frobbing objects, I loudly exclaimed "This is bullshit!" Probably the angriest I have been while playing a fan mission.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    There have been many missions both OM's and FM's where Garrett has a primary objective to kill someone.
    My point was about original missions. In which original mission is Garrett hired to murder someone?

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Quote Originally Posted by View Post

Interesting. I do not remember changing these options and I did not update NewDark since 2018. I always had the option activated to have items display in the inventory after picking them up.
    This is a Tfix "feature", not the original game setting. This has nothing to do with this FM or any FM.
    Options--Game--Auto-Equip: Off
    set it to "on".

Broadsword of Sheol and Nightcrawler are 9/10, it's written in my notes which is holy and assigned by the builder himself. Your evaluation must be a typo then

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234