TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shadow of Doubt (2002)

Shadow of Doubt (2002)

Has anyone played this new mission yet ? Apparently its a three mission campaign and the next version will have breifings, according to cheap mission downloads. Anyhoo, I am part way through the first mission and am stuck so any help would be appreciated.

spoiler:
    Where are the keys for the art museum and the upper floors of the Embassy ? And whats the deal with the guy that your supposed to follow ? I got him as far as the sewer entrance then he stood in the corner and wouldnt speak ( did I upset him ? ) I am in the Embassy basement, where is the key to the upper floors ? BTW I am playing on the easiest setting - well it is my first go through !

Anyway, another great FM, cant wait to play the other two missions - thats if I can get past this bit first !

BTW I intend to do as suggested in an earlier thread and mail the author when Im finished to congratulate and constructively criticise him. I wholeheartedly agree that these dedicated people need and deserve our opinions and praise.:thumb

Thiefmissions.com

Make that a four mission campaign:

Walking the Edge
    Tears of Blood
    All Astir
    The Broadsword of Sheol

I'm not sure how much Tears of Blood resembles the one that came out two years ago. The file size is a bit larger.

I'll have briefings and such up when Sperry gets them to me.

- J<
    - J<

There is a wooden door to the left down the corridor of the window, through which you get to the embassy. Inside that room you will find the key in a jewelry box, use that key to get into museum there you will find a key for the embasy.

i was confused with that guy just standing there too...but...
    spoiler:
    just start walking away from him and your objectives should change i believe

i've had problems with crashes a couple times so far with this one, so save often!

might not want to:
    spoiler:
    pick up that guy's corpse when you return to him in the end of part 1- that caused my thief to crash

or
    spoiler:
    read the plaque above the rear library doors in part 2- made my thief crash as well

I can't find the embassy key , help anyone ?

bdkl, I assume that you've got into the embassy basement if so:

spoiler:
    In the storage area there is a small box on the floor, it's quite dark so difficult to see, in it is the art museum key. Get that, raid the art museum and the embassy key is in one of the rooms in there.

Am in the 1st upper floor of the embassy but im stuck, where do i go now? I can rope arrow to the level above and then the guards start looking for me.

Anyone know the answer?

Embassy entrance objective - Normal

Most intriguing twist on getting across the street, Sperry . Very compact and frustrating (especially in Master). So many locked doors. What and what those keys could do drove me crazy. You must be a paranoid security expert.

Was quite confused at first, with no briefing and no loot except for some arrows to make my efforts worth while until I reached the museum/embassy area (or is there? The lack of light ambience made it extremely difficult to search the darker areas).

Once I get into the embassy basement I get a message of new objectives. However, the objective for entrance to the embassy in Easy didn't get replaced (like it does in Master) and it always became unchecked after I left the embassy area so I was never able to complete the mission.

I wasn't able to finish this in Master either since I came up short on loot. Even when I resorted to 'invisible' mode - couldn't figure how to get around the embassy foyer guards otherwise ... especially since the gate to the upper floors requires the use of my trusty hand picks. Hate it, when I don't have my trusty blackjack with me. Is there one hidden in the Master level anywhere? Or is there another way to get up to the embassy top floors that I don't know about. Guess I'll just have to give up my Expert Thief status. and keeping trying so I can go on to the 2nd mission. Meanwhile this recently demoted novice could use some helpful hints to loot caches and how to get to the upper embassy floor in one piece and without being seen. I'll still have to handle those 'do not kill' guards even if I use a rope.

Incidently, can these 4 fms be made playable as a campaign instead of individual fms?
    Last edited by DreamWalker; 4th Aug 2002 at 12:03.

Thiefmissions.com

Sperry has told me he'd release the entire campaign once the briefings and such are finished. I think there's another mission that needs finishing as well.
    - J<

just to let everyone know, the objectives work fine on master, and the objectives themselves do not varry weather the mission is played on 'fool' or 'master' difficulty. If DreamWalker would have kept playing until he found the embassy key, he would have seen that this mission is very much possible. It is difficult on master, though, and even I have trouble with it sometimes (considering I'm the one who created it...). I thank everyone for their feed back and will consider it all next time around. Here are a few spoilers:

for The King Of Thieves:
    spoiler:
    You've got the right idea. The best way to the second floor is by using rope arrows. I use two; 1 to get me from the 1st floor to the second, and then another to help me get over the metal fence. If I do this well, no one hears me.

for DreamWalker
    spoiler:
    The loot objective on master can be completed by pickpocketing the guards with loot. This works best at the begining of the mission when they're not yet alerted to your presence. More loot (diamonds) -can be found hanging from the opera lights inside Rogets office.

If you still find getting to the second floor without being seen difficult, try this: I usually use a rope arrow from the southern staircase to the northern part of the room. Then , I loop through the basement to the north side of the embassy to get to the rope arrow I shot without alarming guards.

Thiefmissions.com

Missions updated

Sperry sent me new versions of these missions; they're up on my site now.
    - J<

There goes my weekend!

Tnanks epithumia, I've just downloaded them now. Briefings even. No blackjack in Master ... at least that answers that question. Assuming that there's enough loot 'hanging' around then I should make that objective in Master too.

Sperry you may have misunderstood my posting since I was meshmashing the Fool and Master levels together. I did pick up all the keys in both levels. It just didn't make any difference re: embassy entrance objectives for the Fool level. The newer version has most likely fixed this. Going to give it a try and get through this one way or another. Yesterday was my first time in a few months of not playing Thief FMs so I'm a little out of practice. And continuously bumping into one of the guards every time I reached the embassy southern basement door was rather nerve racking ... especially since all I could do was run. Poor timing I guess. Looking forward to finishing this level and going on to the next. Fortunately, tomorrow is a civic holiday here in Ontario so I can sleep in ... if my cats let me.
    Last edited by DreamWalker; 4th Aug 2002 at 21:06.

Thanks Taliesin . I had the right idea , but I was too close to the museum room door the first time I tried the key .

I've got a question, but it's related to the fourth mission: The Broadsword of Sheol:
    spoiler:
    I was at the room where you first meet a craybeast. There were two fire-key locks. I found both keys and used them. The door opened, and now I am stuck in the next room. I've looked everywhere for a switch to open the second large door, but I have found nothing.
    Help please.

hehe,
    it took my brother a while to figure this one out too. but its simple enough.

spoiler:
    there are four pillars with braizers on them in that room. to open the next gate, you must place a weight on each braizer (ex: a skull).

I suggest you download the newest version of this mission. In the original one, there is a really tough spot when you...
    spoiler:
    get attacked from behind
    . the new version is slightly easyer to finish.

I have the same problem with the embassy entrance objective unchecking once I leave, so I just want to make sure that this mission ends once you return to Dupont so I can move on to the next one with a clear conscience.

Finally ... made it on both Fool & Master levels. The reason I wasn't able to complete the Fool level earlier was that I was left with an unchangeable unchecked embassy entrance objective. All because I neglected to use a certain exit for my last getaway.

This should help, tarvis79

spoiler:
    After some experimentation I discovered that permanent completion of the embassy entrance objective after returning to the embassy with the "right key" depends on two "triggers"

1) positioning yourself about 1/4 of the way down behind the south foyer column area (via the basement stair door on your right) will trigger the disappearance of the "find the right key objective" and check off the initial embassy entrance objective. Will also trigger from the north side but south side is better for strategic placing of arrows for access to a certain room & overhanging loot)

2) NOT exiting the embassy after the above trigger goes into effect by any means
    EXCEPT via the basement sewer entrance. (Since I had knocked off most of the guards in Fool mode I was going out the window looking for extra loot ... which caused the entrance objective to become permanently unchecked).

NOTE: I've discovered going in and out of the embassy window BEFORE the foyer trigger takes place will cause the entrance objective to flipflop crazily; but this is only temporary ... the unchecked condition only becomes permanent if you exit the window after the foyer trigger .. and if you haven't saved your game before you exited ... guess what ...)

Still 400 short of possible 2643 total. Cleaned out the
    spoiler:
    Got all I could from guards, museum vault, embassy basement & hangings etc
    but still coming up short. Any hints anyone
    Last edited by DreamWalker; 5th Aug 2002 at 09:49.

ok, am i the only one who has mostly invisible ai in this whole campaign?!?
    all of them in the mansion are invisible...all one the boat save for one...which makes it really difficult to sneak...and you can't kill them or mission fails, hehe).
    i even checked my mesh file in t1 for anything strange.
    i thought i was seriously missing some story thing of invisible people till someone said "sitting bowman on ship," heh
    well, completed it anyway

Cheers Sperry

Thiefmissions.com

Invisible AI usually indicate that the mission is for Thief Gold and not Thief 1, right?
    - J<

Originally posted by epithumia
    Invisible AI usually indicate that the mission is for Thief Gold and not Thief 1, right?
    That's been my experience. So is this mission really for Thief Gold? Your site says Thief 1, but I'm sure you are just passing along what you were told.

So Sperry, can we have some more details on this campaign? I know I remember playing Tears of Blood several months ago. Was it originally part of this campaign or did you build a story around it, etc.? Sorry if this was explained elsewhere.

Thiefmissions.com

Sperry confirmed to me that the campaign is for Thief Gold, and my site has been updated. I do not know whether or not it will work with the T1->TG upgrade thing.
    - J<

Originally posted by epithumia
    Sperry confirmed to me that the campaign is for Thief Gold, and my site has been updated. I do not know whether or not it will work with the T1->TG upgrade thing.
    The first 2 missions do indeed work with the Thief Gold Patch for Thief 1.

oh, thanks
    i'd had to reinstall my thief 1 recently and forgot about that patch. now i'll have to play it with the ai visible!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast