TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shadow of Doubt campaign

Thiefmissions.com

Shadow of Doubt campaign

I had the Shadow of Doubt campaign (six missions, briefings and cutscenes) up last night, but I received a report from Lady Jo that it immediately crashes back to windows. I also received a couple of extra files from Sperry. I have no Thief here at work (no Windows machines, either) so I can't do anything other than test the zipfile.

Could someone with bandwidth grab http://thief.math.uh.edu/missions/ShadowofDoubt.zip and try it out? The file is a whopping 120MB.
    - J<

Gone, but never forgotten
    Downloading now

it makes only 114 Mo

I return on the desk of Windows and I put only this Fm in the darkloader of Thief Gold.

FM : 114 Mo and Files/Folders: 912 and the downloading is good.

file size

XP sees it as 114 meg. Its still taking 30 minutes with my (shh - don't tell anyone) T1 connection at work. Are these the latest missions? , I d/l 4 Missions just the other day and need to know if I should let these overwrite the old ones. I will post again when I am done D/Ling.
    The problem is choice...

Seems to be working fine.
    The problem is choice...

I return in all the missions of Thief Gold (original)

For Shadows, once that I clicked on the title I return on the desk of Windows?
    Last edited by Lady Jo; 8th Aug 2002 at 17:20.

Do you have thief in english? if not, mabie there's a problem reading the briefings?

I arrive at the title of the mission and then return on Windows?

Yes, I have Thief Gold original and in English

And I do not have a problem to play with the other missions which are for Gold.

I have reinstalled Thief Gold + Darkloader 4.1 and it is the same thing
    Last edited by Lady Jo; 8th Aug 2002 at 19:46.

Thiefmissions.com

Yes, it doesn't work for me either. When I start the mission I'm dropped back to the desktop. Unfortuantely I don't know enough about what's going on to attempt to fix the mission.
    - J<

doesn't help

but mine seemed to work fine at work. I am d/l at home now - will repost when done. I did play for 5 minutes or so through the first mission w/ no problems on a machine at work.
    The problem is choice...

Not working at home

I am getting the message "thief needs 35 megs to run" you have 25. I checked- 8 gigs yet to go.. Also tried to close out all programs in taskbar - no dice. So I am only batting 500 with this one. Good thing I have more time at work than at home to play.. he he
    The problem is choice...

That's not a problem with the mission, but you just need to either add stuff to your HD or remove some stuff, cause it just happens to be at this perfect junction of available space that it doesn't like
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

I have a hard disk of 40 Go and there remains half of free about it

I have also made fresh reboot for test and it is similar
    Last edited by Lady Jo; 9th Aug 2002 at 04:44.

ah yes, I remember

An earlier post of yours Komag, that talked about this. Strange. , but true. I think I'll try adding some more FM's, see if that helps.
    The problem is choice...

Thiefmissions.com

Problem with codecs?

Since the mission dies when trying to play the first movie, is it possible there's an issue with the codec the AVI is supposed to play with? My machine has nothing on it except the Win98 bloat, Thief (G and 2), Darkloader and a bunch of missions.

The AVI files do compress an incredible amount, which is something I'm not used to. The campaign is nearly a gigabyte uncompressed. I've never seen other Thief AVI files compress that much.

Anyone know how to check this?
    - J<

The campaign seems to work for me with no problems, but the movie quality seems bad, and I also noticed the extreme movie .zipfile compression which is highly unusual.

Thiefmissions.com

I've verified that the movies are the problem; I can't play them outside of Thief. When I try, media player just crashes. Of course there's no useful debug info.

I suspect that there is some correlation between success in playing this movie and either Windows version (I have '98) or installed codecs (I have none other than what comes with '98 and Thief G/2). But at this point I've come the the limits of Windows knowledge. Someone else must have some insight.
    - J<

Okay, that sounds like that's it then. The movies are quite an anomoly and that's probably the full culpret. That will certainly need to be fixed before a widespread release!

I'll work on it pronto. But can anyone help me fix them? I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with them.

I've done a little research on these avi files and found the following:

The crash occurs in LGVID.AX which is a Thief file (probably some activex control Thief uses for playing video) and it seems not to like the format of the avi files. It is not a case of a missing codec since these avi files are uncompressed rgb16 which essentially means they consist entirely of 16bit bitmaps and support for this is built in (as far as i know). I have also found that on a fresh boot Windows Media player can play them but once Thief has died Media player also crashes in LGVID.AX. This happens on both Win98 and Win2000 most likely because the activex control is not unregistered when Thief crashes.

At first glance all video files except cs31.avi seem to consist of black on black, as in i can't see anything! But then i tried running them trough VirtualDub (a program for editing video files) with a levels filter and suddenly i could see text scrolling up. This to me indicates that something has gone wrong somewhere in the creation process of the video files except for cs31.avi which looks fine.

I have now converted all the video files to use Indeo Video V5 (same as thief's own video files) and applied the level filter to them and now everything works, but they aren't exactly pretty to look at. Think of seeing things through nightvision scopes and you get the picture.

Sperry: If you have some better quality source material where the scrolling text is actually visible i would be willing to download it and convert it for you. I have a 2mbit connection here at home, so bandwidth is not a problem. If you do not, i can upload my already converted video files somewhere.
    Last edited by The Elusive One; 10th Aug 2002 at 07:06.

Thats good news. Thanks EO. What did you mean when you asked me if i "have some better quality source material where the scrolling text is actually visible" . I made the avi using Flash5. Mabie you could talk to epithumia about uploading them somewhere.

Sperry: Regarding the better source material, i could also just have asked what you used to make the avi files. The idea being that if you had used something i knew maybe we could have worked out someway to get better quality video than my current conversion. Unfortunately i am not at all familiar with Flash so that idea didn't fly.

Epithumia: Just tell me how and i will upload the converted video files to you.

Thiefmissions.com

You can upload things to me via anonymous FTP at ftp.math.uh.edu in /pub/incoming/thief. If asked for a user name, enter "ftp" and anything you want for the password.
    - J<

Okay epithumia, ShadowOfDoubt_(New_Briefings).zip has been uploaded to you.

Here's hoping they work for everybody and not just for me

yeah thief uses a very specific ligos video codec. thats why we always have to reinstall it and sometimes thief doesnt play movies.
    My hypothesis is that the people are crashing because of the codecs. and that the only people who CAN play the mission as of now are the poeple who have yet to reinstall the codec, so their videos would not play by default, so it doesnt crash.

if you just encode the video with AVI, or worse, divx, i dont know what will happen... but i imagine it wont work. This may be your porblem

what he means by high quality source is the original movie file, high quality. The file in the zip file is apparently compressed or encoded at low quality maybe. He wants you to send him the original, master version with high quality. then he can compress it into the best qulality and encode it in logos format, and add it to the archive

i can also do basic ligos encoding i think, so let me know if u still need help
    Last edited by p7eter; 10th Aug 2002 at 18:18.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast