TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Just Beat It

Just Beat It

Terra Nova was a great game but it was incredibly short and easy. My final SFC time was two hours and four minutes and that was on the 4th of 5 difficulty settings. Come on, my time for the final mission of Thief 2 was around there. I loved every second of this game but I've probably only played it for about 5 hours since it arrived in the mail on Wednesday. I suppose I still have the random mission generator but I was seriously dissappointed with the length of this product given that LGS typically produced long detailed games.

Did anyone else find this game so easy that it took away the need to coordinate your squadmates? I didn't read the manual as I figured I'd read it when I found the game too hard to progress with out learning how to use my squad but it never proved necessary. The game was incredibly fun and there was a lot of depth there but I just never needed to make use of my teammates specialities, or launch those reconnaisance drones or make use of anything that made the game more than your average shooter.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to put across here but I'm just sort of dissappointed that the game is over already and it never got the challenging (except maybe the challenge of actually watching the FMV cutscenes).

To answer the question: No, I found it to be long enough a game for me. The pacing must make it seem short. Each of the early missions are quick to complete and the latter ones are timed just so you can't wander a whole lot away from the objectives. It's the only RTS that I'm any good at so I may not be qualified to apply this view of the game to most people.

Did you have any trouble with the convoy mission? The one where you need to be guarding both the incoming convoy and the launch site seemingly at the same time. Everyone I've seen post about it says it's tough. What about you?
    I must say, even if one doesn't use those special abilities or the drones and such, it sure is a great touch to the game play. My favorites are the autoturrets. Save my butt many a time.

BTW, your location is Mountain View? Neighbor, I'm right down the 280 from you.

Brad S.

As for that convoy mission, I just hung out at the landing pad killing the hogs as they showed up and pretty soon the convoy was there intact. Maybe I was just lucky but there wasn't a need to guard the convoy trucks, they seemed to make it there fine on their own. So I just defended the transport ships at the pad and before I knew it the mission was over on the first try.

The other convoy mission, where the mech force is on the other side of the river, I was able to beat on the first try as well. I just sent Brandt to blow the bridge while the rest of us stuck with the convoy and it made it through fine.

The number of missions that I had to try twice to beat don't even need all the fingers on my hand to count. The game was a blast don't get me wrong, but there just wasn't much challenge or length to it (that and the cutscene actors were rejects from Sci-Fi channel original movies).

Re: Just Beat It

Originally posted by CPLHicks39
    I suppose I still have the random mission generator
    Don't under-estimate that feature... the interface isn't the best it could be (also make sure you get the patch which fixes a crash problem after using it a few times), but there's a heap of fun to be had with it.
    Did anyone else find this game so easy that it took away the need to coordinate your squadmates?
    Yeah, I think that's a fairly common reaction... I often use them, and they've saved my butt a few times, but I rarely expect all that much from them... definite scope for improvement in that department.
    I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to put across here but I'm just sort of dissappointed that the game is over already and it never got that challenging
    You might like to check out this thread for some ideas on making the game more difficult :) (I really must give this another go, sometime; I never did achieve my ultimate goal...)
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 15th Sep 2002 at 10:23.

Originally posted by CPLHicks39
    As for that convoy mission, I just hung out at the landing pad killing the hogs as they showed up and pretty soon the convoy was there intact.
    I hate you ;)