TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The impending release of The Insurrection...

The impending release of The Insurrection...

The Insurrection will be released today or tomorrow. Keep an eye on the "Cheap Missions" site... That is where you will find it first.

In my usual way I have gone beyond what should have been attempted -- not because I am brave or adventuresome, but because I am both stupid and lucky. This design should have collapsed under its own weight or become so impossibly complicated that it would never have been finished at all -- except for one thing... my luck in finding such a loyal and incredibly dedicated team of testing collaborators. Every single report from the team has been like pure gold, and I have made hundreds of changes both large and small because of their wise and insightful inputs.

And so I would like to dedicate this release to the testing crew of Hallucinations and The Insurrection...

SlyFoxx
    Nightwalker
    Hawklette
    Lizanneh
    MsLedd
    Peter Smith
    Shadowspawn
    Suttytx
    diana50322
    SilentSleep
    Vanguard

This is their mission, too!

frobber
    Last edited by frobber; 29th Sep 2002 at 18:14.

Wow! That's so nice, Frobber! I, for one, felt privileged to be able to have a chance to work on this incredible mission. Thank you for letting me help and hold on to your hats folks, because this mission is going to blow you away!

Frobber you are a prince!

among Thieves even!

Thiefmissions.com

Yep. Have fun, folks.
    - J<

Downloading now.

Frobber, you read my mind. I needed a new mission to play.

Saturnine

D'oh!

You're releasing it already?

Sorry I wasn't much help with testing it, blame T2X

*But* I will say that this mission contains possibly THE most impressive structure ever built in Thief!

Great work Frobber

I'd also like to make mention of the two genuine voice-actors you will hear in The Insurrection -- Saturnine and SlyFoxx.

Sly had already convinced me of his talent when he reprised his role as Garrett -- in Hallucinations he plays a number of distinct characters including Garrett, a lawyer, a Hammerite elder, and a drunk guy (poor Kevel). In this mission (with so much less jabbering among characters) Sly sticks to his role as Garrett -- and not just a copy of Steven Russell -- but IMO an equally well-conceived interpretation.

Saturnine, on the other hand, was an unknown to me. I was pretty sure he'd done some voice-acting before. But that hardly prepared me for what he has produced here. By the time he was done "helping" he had recorded IMHO some of most convincing supporting-character performances in all of Thiefdom. Listen for yourself -- the evil Mechanist in the catacombs, a Vicar of the Cathedral, and a Hammerite High Priest.

BTW, there is a whole bunch of processing happening in the background during the first couple of minutes, so just about any PC is bound to be a tad choppy at first. This goes away very quickly -- so hang in there.

Also, I suggest scanning the "readme" file. There are reasonably important matters discussed, which if nothing else, might answer a question or two.

Enjoy the mission.

Just finished on normal, thanks for the "to be continued" notice in the readme file, Frobber. I only attempted on Normal, but finished in 1 hour 3 minutes.
    The problem is choice...

Originally posted by Sap'em
    I only attempted on Normal, but finished in 1 hour 3 minutes.
    There should be plenty of time to finish -- especially on Normal. (This is a timed mission like Hallucinations).

can't wait to play it Frobber I download half today and the rest tonight bloody 56k modems takes 3 and half hours just to download 18mb
    OH WELL!!
    Add me as a friend on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/shanemullan
    Karras (Rust In Peace)

Thats strange slipknot maybe you downloading the FM at busy time during the day
    Anyway i'm downloading it now with an average speed of 4.7k sec and 1 hour 20mins

Frobber thanks for releaseing your FM today as i got the day off

I hate you.

Okay... why did I think you were using MP3s? You actually could probably bring the filesize down a bit if you did.

"easter-clue"? hrmm... I'll avoid peeking for now
    Last edited by telliamed; 30th Sep 2002 at 05:36.

Gone, but never forgotten

Downloading now

Thank you a lot. for the sending of the dialogues.
    Last edited by Lady Jo; 30th Sep 2002 at 11:36.

(twitch gibber) my dial up connection is now so bad, it is telling me 32 hours+ for this download still

A pox on BT!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it a great deal Frobber. If it's only half as good as Hallucinations it would still be a great pleasure to play.

Resolving thief.math.uh.edu... done.
    Connecting to thief.math.uh.edu[129.7.128.99]:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 27,544,577 [application/zip]

100%[====================================>] 27,544,577 281.81K/s ETA 00:00

12:32:30 (281.81 KB/s) - `Insur_v1b.zip' saved [27544577/27544577]

Bwahahahahahahah!!
    </gloat>

Hey, being a sysadmin in work has to have some advantages

Downloading now . Those screenshots look wicked .

ZylonBane
    Wow, he's not kidding about those minimum system specs. I tried it on my 450Mhz/128MB rig, and it's barely playable. Even in low-detail areas it chugs along in the 10-15 FPS range.

ZylonBane - just give it a few minutes and it will improve greatly. Stay on the ice where you are safe and slowly make your way along the inside base of the wall. After a few AI die off up in the cathedral it will greatly improve. By the time you have to really "have your wits about you" it should be fine. Good Luck!
    I told my husband that I was downloading the patch for Thief. He said, "Good! It's about time you kicked that addiction."

Thank you forbber!

But you've released it at a time when my CD drive is knackered!! Ah well, good things come to those who wait...

Re: D'oh!

Originally posted by Saturnine
    I will say that this mission contains possibly THE most impressive structure ever built in Thief!

Great work Frobber
    Wow! Not possibly, The cathedral IS the most impressive structure ever in Thief.

Frobber wasn't kidding about it getting choppy. My PIII933/256MB/Geforce2Mx/SBAudigy system gets choppy in several places, not just the beginning. Still, it is playable everywhere so far.

Just some quick questions

Frobber,

do the difficulty levels decrease the number of health potions as in the first part? Are the AI any more numerous? Or is the time limit the extent of the changes?

BTW: Saturnine is right about this one, I spent 5 minutes of precious time just staring around (in the shadows of course) at the inside of your cathedral. Truly inspirational, almost makes me want to convert to Hammerite.. he he..
    The problem is choice...

Re: Re: D'oh!

Originally posted by Brian_R171
    Wow! Not possibly, The cathedral IS the most impressive structure ever in Thief.
    Frobber, before I say this, I'd like to tell you that I love Hallucinations, and I have great respect for you work. I just think that your missions have one weakness. That cathedral.

It's an eyesore. I don't know what other people see in it. The windows are horrible dancing colours that make me think that my graphics card is broken, and the building is made out of these immaculate bricks that make it look like it came in a package. It does not belong in the thief world. It's full of huge streches of space that serve no purpose at all, and it seems to me that you got something out of a cardboard box, enlarged it 100 times, and plonked it in thief.

All your other puildings are so good, I was actually wondering if someone else with lesser talent made the cathedral.
    Just a girl wishing for the old days

Re: Just some quick questions

Originally posted by Sap'em
    Frobber,

do the difficulty levels decrease the number of health potions as in the first part? Are the AI any more numerous? Or is the time limit the extent of the changes?
    There are adjustments to healing potions and how much "sickness" Garrett is having. The main difference is how there is less healing effect on Hard and Expert, and how you can't (as usual) bulk up on healing as difficulty rises. Mainly, the difference is in the time limit -- and that basically reduces the opportunity to use time-consuming tactics. The real change in difficulty is the choice of the player -- you can run through (once you know your way around), or you can try all sorts of alternate routes and playing styles.

Re: Re: Re: D'oh!

Originally posted by Yametha

Frobber, before I say this, I'd like to tell you that I love Hallucinations, and I have great respect for you work. I just think that your missions have one weakness. That cathedral.
    The unzipped mission database is about 31Mb. Soul Forge is a little more than 1/2 of that -- so you're getting as much detail as can be done for such a big building. I thought about adding stair steps -- for example -- but the 2000 steps that would have been needed is more data than most missions contain for the whole thing.

I also contemplated far more variety in the stain glass -- but the various versions I have incorporated from real cathedrals (mangled by the limits of how many pixels I can use) seemed like enough -- you get five different windows. But in my limited experience, on first inspection, when you've seen one stainglass window, you have seen them all. I also considered varying how bright each window was lit -- but the place is already absurdly lit for the sake of gameplay so that nothing in the brightness of the windows would have made any practical difference. Either you buy my stage lighting, or you see it as a cartoon -- which it is.

IMO, there has never been a genuine cathedral in Thief -- just moderately-size church buildings that we have called "cathedrals." The scale of the cathedral in The Insurrection is based on the nearly exact dimensions of an actual cathedral in France (Cathedral de Chartres) -- albeit highly simplified. If you are going to call something a cathedral, I've always thought it should the size of a cathedral. And so I took the risk to see if it could be done. These places really are huge.

As for shiny-new textures -- the place is supposed to be a brand-spanking new building -- a replacement for the building the Hammerites had lost to the darker forces (as we see in Thief 1). Because of screen complexity limits, I could not mix in a variety of textures -- yes I do know how to do this. But the main building textures you see are from a newly constructed Catholic church in our area -- nothing fake here.

Instead of relying on a complex texturing scheme (which would have blown up the database due to screen complexity), I've kept it simple, basic, and contrasted mostly using light and shadow -- that is how you build huge spaces in Thief. Excessive detail in large spaces is DromEd death. I've crashed my computer hundreds of times while building this mission -- so it wouldn't crash on you. Be happy for that if nothing else.

Perhaps if you use fogging (which is high recommended) then you will see the place the way I prefer to see it myself -- huge, majestic, blending into the surrounding air. I learned from Raid on Washout Central that details don't matter so much when they blend into the background. Without fog, it really does look like giant toy building -- I'll readily admit that.

I expect that we will see something far more realistic in Thief 3. I hope so.

Your opinion is respected and valued.

frobber
    Last edited by frobber; 30th Sep 2002 at 22:18.

Taking a break
    I LOVE the cathedral! I think it ranks as one of the best structures
    ever created in an FM! When I was climbing around on the ledges,
    it gave me a queasy feeling looking down! Great job!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast