TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Keybinding Guide: Guard and Thief "Modes" (among other things)

Keybinding Guide: Guard and Thief "Modes" (among other things)

By popular demand (er... two people ), heres an explanation of how to set up two key configurations for Thievery. One will be for the Thief, one for the Guard. I'll try to explain everything, but if anyone has any questions/problems, just ask. Its really not too complicated though, I mean, LaughingRat seems to have figured it out, so it should be a snap for everyone else
    Im going to try and take baby steps throughout this, so more advanced users can skip a lot of junk. The readers digest version, for all you lazy people, is this:

ThieveryUser.ini
    Z=exec ThiefBinds.txt
    X=exec GuardBinds.txt

ThiefBinds.txt
    set input W MoveForward
    set input S MoveBackward
    set input *key* *command*
    etc...
    echo Thief Binds Loaded Successfully!

GuardBinds.txt
    set input W MoveBackward
    set input S MoveForward
    set input *key* *command*
    etc...
    echo Guard Binds Loaded Successfully!

If you didn't understand that, then read on.

-------

What we're doin:
    We will be constructing two text files, filling them with class specific binds, and then setting up the ability to switch between the two files in mid game.

Purpose:
    Ease of use mostly. Seperating class specific binds can reduce clutter, and allow the same key to be given different functions. Trust me, you'll love it.

Limitations:
    There are only two problems with this system. One, is that you cannot load/save/change aliases. The second, is that most users will experience a small lag hiccup when the files are executed. This is not much of a concern though, as long as the switch is made before the game actually begins.

What you have to know:
    Not much. Keybinding is extremely easy if you know what you're doing. Most people simply lack the knowledge to fiddle with this stuff, not the skill. I say again, keybinding is easy. I could teach my 14 year old sister how to do it in an afternoon - all you *really* need to know is how to type and what you want to type.
    If you don't know the basics, there are a TON of sites out there that have excellent explanations of basic binding, aliasing, syntax, and whatnot. Im not going to write all that crap here, so go hunt it down on google. Its simple to learn, and the benifits of knowing how to get the most out of your keys are huge. Well worth your time (especially since 99% of the stuff will work with UT2003!)

Tools:
    Notepad (or Wordpad) and some fingers.

-------

(Preface note: Capitalization does not matter with keybinds)

Step 1: Groundwork

Locate your ../UnrealTournament/System/ directory and leave it open

Create two new text files. Name them whatever you like, but they should probably make sense. One will be used to store your Thief binds, and the other will store Guard binds. Examples: ThiefBinds.txt and GuardBinds.txt
    Note: These files MUST be in the ../System/ directory!

Step 2: ThieveryUser.ini

Locate the file ThieveryUser.ini (its in the same folder), and MAKE A COPY OF IT INCASE YOU SCREW UP!!
    Then you can open it

You will see a section labled [Engine.Input], with a bunch of Alias[#]=Whatever. Scroll down past all the aliases until you find your keys. This is where all of your keys (and their commands) are stored.

Find two keys you would like to use to activate Thief mode and Guard mode (respectively). Be warned, that some keys are exactly as they appear, and some arent. For example, A is A, but the * on the keypad is known as GreyStar. Also note that the keys are waaay out of order, so be sure to look through the entire list if you cant find the key you want to use.

Advanced users note: Feel free to use an Alias toggle (hence, only one activation key is needed) if you want.

Once you've found the keys you want to use, you have to bind them to something. The command we'll be using to activate the text files (that you created before), is known as exec, and is used in this format: exec *filename*. Place this command and the appropriate filename (WITH THE FILE EXTENSION!!) infront of those keys.
    Example: Say you have chosen the O and P keys. This is what you should see:

O=exec ThiefBinds.txt
    P=exec GuardBinds.txt

We're done here for now, so you can save and close User.ini

Step 3: Text files
    Open both your text files (ThiefBinds.txt and GuardBinds.txt). This is where you will be entering the commands to replace whatever keys you want. This file is different from ThieveryUser.ini in that it does not directly change your keys. What im saying is, all commands in these files will be executed exactly as if you typed them into the console!

So, what we want to do is enter a series of commands that will change your keys. The command for this is set input, and the format is set input *key* *command*. This is where things get tricky, because you MUST know both the key names and the commands you want to use. If you're stuck, don't be afraid to refer to your ThieveryUser.ini to look stuff up.

Anyways, enter all the commands you wish into both files. You don't need to enter in anything special at the beginning or end of the file, just type stuff on each line as if it were a seperate command.
    Here's an example of what your file might look like:

set input Q Jump
    set input E Duck
    set input W MoveForward
    set input S MoveBackward
    set input A StrafeLeft
    set input D StrafeRight
    set input F1 Showscores

etc. etc. etc.

Remember, that each line is just like you opened the console and entered exactly what you see above. This also means that you aren't limited to set input commands. You could put other things in it too:

Jump
    StrafeLeft
    Say I'm a little teapot

And when you executed the file, you would jump, move to the left, and say to everyone "I'm a little teapot". I don't know why you would want to , but the ability is there.

So, type away, and put whatever you want into either file. Just be sure to put all your Thief binds and Guard binds in seperate files
    You can do whatever you want, but most people will only need a few (a dozen maybe?) set input commands to shuffle some keys around.

Hot tip:
    In 1.2, the devs implemented another command called echo (thanks devs!) All this does is write text that only you can see. Its like being able to talk to yourself in private - LOL! Anyways, I strongly reccomend you add an echo command to the very last line of both .txt files. For example:

Echo Thief Binds Loaded Successfully.

So, when you hit the key to load your thief binds, you should see this line appear in the chat area, letting you know that the file was executed properly. Very handy.

Hot tip 2:
    This is just me, but I also added a second echo command to both text files, like so:
    set input F12 echo Thief Binds Active
    and
    set input F12 echo Guard Binds Active
    So if I ever forget what "mode" im in, I just hit F12 and it will tell me.

Addenum 1:
    Unfortunatly I forgot to mention that it is not possible to use a doubled up key, by seperating commands with a pipe symbol |
    For example, set input F10 Cancel | Disconnect
    The game interprets these as two seperate commands (one setting F10 to cancel, and the other simply disconnecting you from a server or single play), and in this case they produce some very undesired results.
    The good news, however, is that you can use Aliases to work around this problem. Simply set an Alias to the command sequence you wish to use, and then name it (give it an Alias) like so:

Aliases[#]=(Command="Cancel | Disconnect",Alias=LeaveServer)

And then in your config file, simply set it to bind to that alias:

set input F10 LeaveServer

The end result should be the same as intended above.

Step 4: Try it!
    Woohoo! Done already! Well, maybe not. You don't have to have everything tweaked out to the max, but as long as you have the two text files created and the right entries in your ThieveryUser.ini, you should be able to go into the game and test things out. Hopefully, the files are executed properly. If not, check for spelling mistakes and unnessecary syntax (spaces and whatnot). Remember that the exec command must have the full name of the text files, including the .txt extension. Hopefully it all works, and you can start adding more commands to your text files. If so, Congrats!

------

Handy dandy commands
    Heres a little section for you if you need a hand with some generic, and thievery specific commands. Some might be handy, some not. Its all up to you.

behindview 1 | onrelease behindview 0
    Switches to third person for as long as you hold the key. When you release it, it goes back to first person

showscores | onrelease showscores
    Simaler to the command above, but it will display the scoreboard for as long as you hold the key. Some people like this command. I dont, but thats just me.

Toggle bDuck | Axis aUp Speed=-300.0
    Toggles ducking

Toggle bTSlowDown
    Toggles creeping

Toggle bTSpeedUp
    Heres one I love. This toggles RUNNING. So you don't need to have seperate walk and run keys! Just use this like the creep key. It might take some getting used to, but I think its worth it. Might just be my (extremely odd) setup though.

ThUsePickup ThieveryMod.ThPickupxxx
    Heres a command you'll all like. This uses certain items in your inventory. Just enter the command, and where it says xxx you enter the name of the item:

PotionCatfall
    PotionHealth
    PotionSpeed
    PotionInvisibility
    Mine
    Caltrop
    Flare
    Flashbomb
    Whistler

Cancel | Disconnect
    I reccomend binding this to your F10 key. Normally, all F10 does is cancel a connection in progress, but if you add Disconnect to it, you can also use the key to exit from a server quickly.
    Additionally, Im not sure if this problem still exists, but I heard something about servers that might occasionally continue trying to send you data or connection requests even after using the cancel command. This is supposed to prevent that too. *Shrug*

Reconnect
    Duh. I bound this to F11, since I dont fiddle with my brightness anymore.

Timedemo 1
    Timedemo 0
    Shows and stops showing (respectively) your FPS.

Behindview 1
    Behindview 0
    Third and First person (respectively)

BuyLoadout #
    Used to select preconfigured purchases with a single keystroke. (Valid numbers are 1-4)

There are a whole ton of other commands for both Thievery and UT that im not going to list. If you're looking for something specific, the best way to find out what it is, is to go into the in game binder, find the command, and bind it to an "extra" key. Then you can open ThieveryUser.ini, find the key, and see what the command is. Thats how I figured most commands out anyways.

The wonderful world of Aliases
    Im not going to spend *too* much time on this section, because it can get kind of complicated. That, and there are other, more comprehensive alias guides on the net. Go search for them if you want to learn all about aliases.
    Anyways, aliases are incredibly handy tools. You can use them to do soooo many things. One of my favorites is the "fake toggle". For example, I only use one key to enable/disable behindview, and my FPS. It looks like so:

Aliases[25]=(Command="Behindview 1 | onrelease set input F8 BV0",Alias=BV1)
    Aliases[26]=(Command="Behindview 0 | onrelease set input F8 BV1",Alias=BV0)

Aliases[27]=(Command="Timedemo 1 | onrelease set input F5 TD0",Alias=TD1)
    Aliases[28]=(Command="Timedemo 0 | onrelease set input F5 TD1",Alias=TD0)

F5=TD1

F8=BV1

The basic formula for a fake toggle is this:

Aliases[#]=(Command="*command* | onrelease set input *key* Alias2",Alias=Alias1)
    Aliases[#+1]=(Command="*command* | onrelease set input *key* Alias1",Alias=Alias2)

You can use it for a whole whack of things (including executing text files like the ones above!)

WHEW!
    That was a lot of friggin writing!! If you're still reading this, you must be really bored or really really interested. Either way, congrats on sticking with it! I know that keybinding can look like a really daunting task if you're just starting off, but let me assure you that its not. Once you understand the basics, everything else flows from there.

What else...
    Oh yeah. If you're ever stuck/lost/confused, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I've explained everything appropriately in the above babbling, but i've probably missed something. Or several things. (Not to mention the spelling mistakes which I am sure exist in numerous places). This is all second nature to me now (and it will be to you, with a little practice), so I might have left out a few details. Just ask, I (and others - I im not the only one who knows their way around a User.ini) will be more than happy to help!

Anyways, I hope this has helped. Even if its just one person, it will be worth it!

Happy keybinding, and happy Thieving!

-MD
    Last edited by MachDelta; 7th Oct 2002 at 11:34.

Woo and Yay! Just after I installed 1.2 I was thinking "now if only I could use two sets of keybinds".

Thank you ! Its great

There's your 2 people.

"Life is a near death experience"
    aka: Solstice

I'm still trying to figure out how to bind speech to a single key. Does anyone know how to do that?
    Signed,
    Richard M. Nixon.

To bind speech to keys type the following into the console:

set Input [keyname] [Shout/Whisper] [Speech]

The three paramaters in brackets should be obvious, ie. to shout "gg" when x is pressed, type in:

set Input x Shout gg

Hope this is some help (although to be honest, i prefer editing THuser.ini manually for certain keybinds, it has the same effect but i seem to bodge up less often)

is a Black Cat!
    Originally posted by The_Dan
    set Input x Shout gg
    Isn't it: set input x |shout gg !?

Thanx for the nice turitoral, MachDelta!

Originally posted by The_Dan
    To bind speech to keys type the following into the console:

set Input [keyname] [Shout/Whisper] [Speech]

The three paramaters in brackets should be obvious, ie. to shout "gg" when x is pressed, type in:

set Input x Shout gg

Hope this is some help (although to be honest, i prefer editing THuser.ini manually for certain keybinds, it has the same effect but i seem to bodge up less often)
    No, I don't mean Shout/Whisper. I mean the acual speech. Where you can bring up the TUT menu and say stuff like "Uuuhh...musta been rats."
    Signed,
    Richard M. Nixon.

is a Black Cat!
    Ahh, I see...

Well, dunno that command. Can any TUT-dev's answear this?

Last I heard, it wasn't possible to bind those sounds But I dont know if thats true or not

Important note: While it seems on the face of it to be a brilliant idea, binding keys to messages for all sorts of occasions is generally not a good idea.

People who rely on pre-typed binds aren't actually communicating what they feel. They're just hitting the key that seems most appropriate to the current situation. To others, this comes across as incredibly hollow and bot-like. Someone spamming ---***(((LOL)))***--- repeatedly is on a completely different level to someone actually expressing in real-time how hilarious your suicidal leap was. It's also unbelievably annoying. Sure, the payoff is that you can bounce around the levels without having to stop at any point, but quite frankly if you're that set on winning at all costs the soul of your playing has already long since departed.

If you wish to project some personality into your playing instead of coming across as a clan-bound bot impressionist, limit your say binds to generic things like "OK" or "Bye!". Do it for the children.

Interesting point, Foul Egg. I'd never put it into words quite that way, but I've always FELT that. I'd only intended to use keybindings for different setups for guards and thieves, never for "communication".

Re: Keybinding Guide: Guard and Thief "Modes" (among other things)

Originally posted by MachDelta

ThieveryUser.ini
    Z=exec ThiefBinds.txt
    X=exec [strike]Thief[/strike] GuardBinds.txt

bah all too hard for me...
    can't someone make a program for it ?

Originally posted by Foul Egg
    Important note: While it seems on the face of it to be a brilliant idea, binding keys to messages for all sorts of occasions is generally not a good idea.

People who rely on pre-typed binds aren't actually communicating what they feel. They're just hitting the key that seems most appropriate to the current situation. To others, this comes across as incredibly hollow and bot-like. Someone spamming ---***(((LOL)))***--- repeatedly is on a completely different level to someone actually expressing in real-time how hilarious your suicidal leap was. It's also unbelievably annoying. Sure, the payoff is that you can bounce around the levels without having to stop at any point, but quite frankly if you're that set on winning at all costs the soul of your playing has already long since departed.

If you wish to project some personality into your playing instead of coming across as a clan-bound bot impressionist, limit your say binds to generic things like "OK" or "Bye!". Do it for the children.
    Thats a good point, but I use binds for "Whisper Enemy spotted! | Taunt Wave", "Whisper Guarding this area.", and "Whisper I need help! | Taunt wave". They come in very useful when you don't have time to type.
    Signed,
    Richard M. Nixon.

Virus: Oops. Silly me and the cut & paste. Fixed.

Egg: I agree. Im like Neo - I only have generic, gameplay related sayings bound. IIRC, my list is:

Going North
    Going South
    Going East
    Going West
    Going Up
    Going Down
    Enemy down
    Negative
    I need help!
    Cover me
    Ive got your back
    Area clear
    Roger that
    Im going in!
    Im hit!
    Enemy spotted
    Same team!
    Objective taken.

Thats not exact (some of them vary from Guard to Thief), but thats the just of it. Basically, its just the same speech configuration I used in UT, and almost the same as my Tactical Ops speech. I know where all that stuff is like the back of my hand, so why change it?
    Everything else is all done by hand, like my "LOL"s and whatnot, because I agree with you there

*Bump!*

Added an addenum to creation of the config files. I forgot to mention that piped ( | ) commands don't work properly, because the game sees them as seperate. There is a work around though (see above).

I'd also just like to say that you do NOT have to enter every single command on your keyboard into the config files. Only the ones that change between Thief and Guard. Ive noticed several people wanting to do this, but all it does is waste time. Any command that is the same between both configurations should be entered into your ThieveryUser.ini and not your config files.

Hope dat helps.

Auto-whipser is rather annoying sometimes, but other times it can be a real life saver! (Ha ha ha.) I'm considering binding a few guard whispers, such as "Where's the chest?" "C'mere, there's a thief!" and, "If you break the chest again, I'll ban your ass!"